Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ajantis was never a particularly intelligent guy to begin with, and Helm doesn't encourage independent thinking. I figured that scene was meant to be a bit satirical of the hyper-aggressive paladin player archetype.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Does detect evil pick up on it from the player's end? I know Keldorn's True Sight didn't catch it, but I didn't think to try anything else.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Ajantis could theoretically have a use if he didn't occur one area after Khalid and Jaheira are stuffed into your party, saturating any conceivable party's need for good-aligned fighters with bad stats.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

:chanpop: :supaburn: :boom: :fuckoff: :woop:

I think that tells that story better than I ever could.

E:

:captainpop:

Head Hit Keyboard fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 6, 2015

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Is there any easy way put custom character sounds into BG2 EE?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Iretep posted:

Is there any easy way put custom character sounds into BG2 EE?

This should work
http://www.shsforums.net/topic/57041-custom-soundsets-enhanced-editions/

I don't have the EE versions, but it sounds similar to what you need to do in the original versions of the game.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Well that was simpler than I thought. Time to get the sound file from IWD2 that only uses grunts :allears:

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

There is a reason standard advice to everyone playing a paladin, over and above "Play an Inquisitor", is "Take 2 points in 2-handed swords. Trust us."

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Anyone have any recomendations on mods for BG2 EE? I've already beaten the game once ages ago so I'm wondering if there are any mods that make the game harder that work with EE.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Sword Coast Stratagems works with the Enhanced Edition: http://gibberlings3.net/scs/

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
I highly endorse SCS, it makes the game a lot better, although I gave up on my solo run through SCS.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
SCS is great because it (mostly) improves core AI - and it's done in a way that's consistent with the original game and isn't cheesy. Tactics can be fun as well if you're a complete masochist.

I'd say SCS on hardcore mode is the perfect difficulty for someone who's played through the saga before and wants another challenge. Don't be afraid to jig NPCs stats around with shadow keeper - if only to make the ones you haven't played with before more viable.

Bear in mind, you're going to have to know the spell penetration/defences system inside out because if a Mage is alive for more than about three rounds in BG2 with SCS on it's probably curtains for the Bhaalspawn. Bringing a fighter/Mage will also greatly help.

Also - pure thieves are complete wank but make sure you have a multi/dual thief with max detect illusion. Mages will use spell immunity abjuration and spell immunity divination at the same time then cast invisibility, making them more or less invincible.

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 8, 2015

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

:chanpop: :supaburn: :boom: :fuckoff: :woop:

I think that tells that story better than I ever could.

E:

:captainpop:

When I mentioned some really potent paladin exclusive gear, the Holy Avenger is top of that list. As if Keldorn didn't poo poo on mages hard enough.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ive never liked SCS past early BG2. Fights against mages just become samey, at least in the early game there are a limited-enough selection of spells that the mage fights are legitimately different. By mid-BG2 every mage has the same spells and you do basically the same thing. It makes enemy mages take longer to kill but I kinda just find it tedious.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I was thinking of a quick run-through of the series with a 2 man party, but haven't really ever done it with less than a full group. I'm looking at a Berserker/Cleric 9/X and Thief/Mage because I don't want to overcomplicate things, but are there recommendations for dual-classing the Thief/Mage versus multi-classing? I was looking at the former because I mostly just use him to hang out at the back and buff/debuff, and was grabbing the thief levels for quality of life trapfinding, so I wouldn't really miss out on not having an increased backstab, but UAI and traps are so drat powerful I dunno. Thoughts?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Thaddius the Large posted:

I was thinking of a quick run-through of the series with a 2 man party, but haven't really ever done it with less than a full group. I'm looking at a Berserker/Cleric 9/X and Thief/Mage because I don't want to overcomplicate things, but are there recommendations for dual-classing the Thief/Mage versus multi-classing? I was looking at the former because I mostly just use him to hang out at the back and buff/debuff, and was grabbing the thief levels for quality of life trapfinding, so I wouldn't really miss out on not having an increased backstab, but UAI and traps are so drat powerful I dunno. Thoughts?

If you're doing the whole series I'd just go multi thief/mage because an optimum dual class wouldn't happen until you're a good chunk into the first game and while it's certainly doable to get through all that without any sort of magic I don't think it'd be as fun

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
With XP only getting split between two people I'd always go for multi-classing, unless you really want a particular kit's bonuses.

fong posted:

Ive never liked SCS past early BG2. Fights against mages just become samey, at least in the early game there are a limited-enough selection of spells that the mage fights are legitimately different. By mid-BG2 every mage has the same spells and you do basically the same thing. It makes enemy mages take longer to kill but I kinda just find it tedious.
I can definitely see that. I think most mages don't even really have an option to beat a decently leveled party, which is partially SCS' fault (they're focused on defense and don't have the spells to cause real problems) but mostly due to BG2's encounter design (lots of high-level mages with little or no backup around).

But when I played B2EE for the first time I did it without SCS and it just got boring. And SCS is very modular. I usually don't go all the way with the mage prebuffing settings, and there are some components (improved spiders in BG1, improved Beholders) that I don't think I'll ever install again, but I wouldn't want to play completely without it.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Thaddius the Large posted:

If you take off the XP cap then one should certainly be a fighter/mage/thief, I took one in a solo run with no XP cap and it was super awesome and fun as poo poo. But you could combo the f/m/t with a half orc cleric/thief and have healing and even more hitting power, and time trap and all the other traps are fun as poo poo.

If you want a crazy weird 2 man party you can do a dual wielding berserker (mace/flail/hammer) and a two handed sword and halberd inquisitor, super simple, super powerful, and also fun as hell. Berserker/Thief would put it in to overpowered as all hell territory.

If I were to do another 2 man run I'd probably pick a couple of the less used powerful classes, like the dual undead hunter thief and an elf wizard slayer.

Washout fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Aug 9, 2015

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I just started with SCS and the random encouters are killing me. I can't do anything about them since I haven't gotten my mage yet. :negative:

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Iretep posted:

I just started with SCS and the random encounters are killing me. I can't do anything about them since I haven't gotten my mage yet. :negative:

Don't have a bow to kite them with or anything??

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010
So how does one safely kill SCS Hive Mother's and Elder Orbs without cheesing them with skeleton warriors?

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Why do you think magic resistant melee heavy undead abominations were invented in the first place?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Big Sean posted:

So how does one safely kill SCS Hive Mother's and Elder Orbs without cheesing them with skeleton warriors?

Cheese them with traps?

amanasleep
May 21, 2008

Big Sean posted:

Tank with Polymorph Self: Mustard Jelly.

Big Sean
Jan 18, 2010

Washout posted:

Cheese them with traps?

Hmm, fair enough; no one can use traps in my run (thief is Imoen).

amanasleep posted:

Tank with Polymorph Self: Mustard Jelly.

I saw an elder orb spell trigger 3x lower resistance my flesh golem a little while ago so I think this strategy is at least somewhat risky. I'm also not sure if it protects again imprisonment (although supposedly SCS casters don't imprison charname)...? But point taken on using a 100 MR party member to tank.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

spell immunity : abjuration before polymorphing yourself? :shrug:

e: after casting, but before using the form. also, abjuration is probably better because it won't interact with polymorph like alteration does. changed my post.

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 10, 2015

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Big Sean posted:

So how does one safely ... SCS ... without cheesing
I have some bad news

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

SCS was made with the assumption that players will abuse cheesy strategies

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

fong posted:

SCS was made with the assumption that players will abuse cheesy strategies

Heck it was made to actually exploit those strategies itself!

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Only power gamers will install those mods and they already use cheesy tactics. What's the point?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
you dont have to cheese bg1 scs. bg2 scs on the other hand...

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Vikar Jerome posted:

you dont have to cheese bg1 scs. bg2 scs on the other hand...

Depends what you mean by "cheese"

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
SCS mages do nonsense like go invisible with Spell Immunity: Divination active. There's not a LOT you can do that's cheesier than that (although there certainly are a few things)

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
So can your mages. Anyway, thats what Thieves are for, Detect Illusion sorts that out almost instantly. SCS also has a component that gives anti-magic spells such as Secret Word, Ruby Ray etc. the ability to penetrate Improved Invisibility, so it doesn't make a difference because you should still be able to aim a spell at a mage under the effects of Spell Immunity. It's hardly the most subtle animation in the world. Of course, if you have that component, you'll have the as good as mandatory Core Component that, amongst other things, fixes Spell Shield, so you'll need to dispel that first.

If you don't have Detect Illusion or anti-magic spells, you can either wait out the duration of the combo (About 2 minutes IIRC) or use AOE damage, either fire or magic damage. In my experience, SCS mages use their pre-buff to make themselves immune to one or the other. I can't recall any spellcaster that is immune to both, so either Delayed Blast Fireball (Dragon's Breath is much better obviously, but HLA's are much later on) or Horrid Wilting will work well.

biscuits and crazy fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 10, 2015

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Even with SCS only liches are really tough imo, other mages can take a long time to take down but aren't actually all that dangerous.

That's when they're alone, at least. I've had some issues with the Cowled Wizard enforcers, and the Planar Sphere is rough with those cannibal halflings and Tolgerias with his apprentice. Especially since Tolgerias will happily lead with a Horrid Wilting while you're still trying to get your party into position, which in that place involves much wrestling with the pathfinding.

gently caress Beholders, though. Without the component that gives them telekinesis, I had some luck taking advantage of Mazzy's saving throw bonuses by loading her up with protection items (and of course there's the Shield of Balduran, but that's pretty much dev-endorsed cheating).
With the component installed I could take care of them without cheese with Korgan and that's it.
I didn't know about Polymorph Self not getting taken away by the antimagic ray until recently, though.

Edit: Although single Beholders in larger groups can be fun, like the Twisted Rune and that one group in Watcher's Keep.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Aug 11, 2015

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I just got to the sphere. Who the hell gave the halflings horrid wilting? :negative:
Only way I'm getting through this place is doing offscreen fireballs and letting the casters waste all their spells before attacking them.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Iretep posted:

I just got to the sphere. Who the hell gave the halflings horrid wilting? :negative:

Like with most of these kind of questions, the answer is SCS

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
scs at least likes you enough not to really gently caress you over. BP on the other hand enjoys suchs things like giving the warden in the planar prison timestop. an area that is meant to be doable right at the start of the game and with no exit once you are in there. couple that with atweaks and his pet becomes the one true nightmare.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Depends what you mean by "cheese"

in bg1, so long as you buff your group and actually use all those potions you've been carrying around, along with the special arrows and poo poo, the battles are fun, challenging and you don't have to resort to hilarious antics like using the necklace of fireball to wash away any challenge at all.

i never got far enough into bg2 scs to really see how that poo poo goes but early game stuff was cheese worthy, constant resting, kiting, using all that bullshit game mechanics just to get out of the starting dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012
The hardest part of BG2 SCS is the very early game, the 1st few random bandit fights are particularly dangerous for an ill-equipped party (relative to Chapter 7 BG1 anyway, they would be straight-forward with a party fully equipped with that games best equipment, but plot theft happens) straight out of Irenicus's Dungeon. Once you've got to about 750k experience, it should be fairly simple going until HLA's, then the difficulty mostly falls straight off a cliff. There are a few fairly tough fights in the late-game, but nothing is too hard.