Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butch Otter
Jan 24, 2003

Abu Dave posted:

Anyone having problems with Rocksmith not running good on Windows 10?

Update your drivers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
I'd also inspect the string. I got my Strat from my sister, and it had a kink in low E right at the sixth fret. I'm sure it's less likely on a bass, but you never know?

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Social Distortion Song Pack – $9.99

Social Distortion “Bad Luck”
Social Distortion “Ball and Chain”
Social Distortion “Reach for the Sky”
Social Distortion “Story of My Life”

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
Meh, but I'll probably buy it.

Cousin Balki
Jan 31, 2002

toymach1ne posted:

Love Social Distortion. Great song pack :clint:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
There's at least one of those I have to buy for my self-imposed rule. If a song is made officially and I already have the cdlc of it, then I buy the official one. I delete lovely customs so this works rather well.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
After getting the Volbeat pack, a friend and I decided to have a metal night and play all the songs I had that required tuning to D. And somewhere in there we stumbled across Uberlin by REM, which is a really nice song. What the hell is that song doing there?

Also, are there any really good bass songs that I need to get?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My favorite bass song is Africa by Toto.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I always point to Bernadette.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

TheDarkFlame posted:

After getting the Volbeat pack, a friend and I decided to have a metal night and play all the songs I had that required tuning to D. And somewhere in there we stumbled across Uberlin by REM, which is a really nice song. What the hell is that song doing there?

We have two articles about bass songs if you are interested

http://www.theriffrepeater.com/20-songs-rocksmith-2014-need-try-bass/
http://www.theriffrepeater.com/25-more-rocksmith-basslines-you-may-have-missed-out-on/

There's also an official one

http://blog.ubi.com/rocksmith-2014-favorite-basslines/

July was a great month for bass guitar outside of Volbeat though

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

toymach1ne posted:

Gah, I so wish this pack included their cover version of Hank Williams' Alone and Forsaken. I really want to learn the solo part to that, I love that cover, but I need a grown-up to tab it out for me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm finally getting around to doing some drop d songs and it's fun as hell. Really liking SOD's March of the SOD and Dream House by Deafheaven- both from customsforge.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
If you like drop D, you might really like Eb drop Db. Or maybe that's just me.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Dreamhouse is an alright custom. If I wasn't so into Deafheaven it would be kind of boring though

Cousin Balki
Jan 31, 2002
When does new DLC usually show up on Steam? I'm not seeing the Social Distortion pack.

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's usually there at 1pm eastern time every Tuesday

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Man I'm working on learning painkiller but god drat that solo...

Doing the 14-17-21 hammers at the top of the sweep is pretty much physically impossible on my les paul. Switched to my jackson and its easier but still loving hard as hell. Gotta work on my reach I guess. On its own that wouldn't be too bad but mixing it in with the sweeps... goodness.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

toymach1ne posted:

:aaaaa:

Holy loving poo poo, yes. Yes, indeed.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Social Distortion “Bad Luck” – Eb Standard
Social Distortion “Ball and Chain” – Eb Standard
Social Distortion “Reach for the Sky” – Eb Standard Capo Reqiuired [Lead/Rhythm] ; Eb Standard [Bass]
Social Distortion “Story of My Life” – Eb Standard

Tunings for those curious

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

TheDarkFlame posted:

Duran Duran - Rio / Hungry like the Wolf
RATM
RHCP

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The funk pack and Cake pack are essential for bass, too

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
The No Doubt set is great too, and Santeria by Sublime.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
MAIDEN! :black101:

And the Primus pack is about as bass-player as you can get but might be a little too rough to call it essential. Same for Rush, fun to play, great finger workout, YYZ is a nightmare.

Choco Happy Ending
Mar 16, 2009

Mmmmfffppphggghhg
More good bass songs are Lynyrd Skynyrd's Tuesday's Gone and CCR's Born on the Bayou.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
More fun basslines:
Little Barrie - Surf Hell
Rick James - Super Freak
The Bon Jovi songs

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Next DLC is a 4 pack of Singles

Fleetwood Mac "Go Your Own Way"
Jet "Are You Gonna be My Girl"
??
???

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Finally had the chance to check the intonation on my bass. Using the Garageband tuner, when I have the bass tuned to E Standard, the 12th fret of each string seems to result in the tuner reading the note as sharp. Quick Googling shows that to fix strings that read sharp, I need to move the saddle backwards. I'll have to try that some time this week.

Another thing that I wonder about : When I tune the bass, I get the occasional warning that my volume is too low. Even when I calibrate the bass. A quick read shows that I can make the bass louder by raising the pickup height. Is this a good idea?

Other than that, I think everything else about this guitar is fine. Yes, I could take this thing in to a shop (I bought it used from Guitar Center. Yeah.), but I kinda want to try this myself. And unless I'm wrong, it looks like these settings are kind of idiot proof. Adjust screws to move the saddle, adjust screws to set the pickup height.

For reference, this is the model bass I own.

Thanks to all of you for the advice. :)

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Both adjustments you're talking about are routine with very little chance of damaging anything.

Raising and lowering the pickup height is no big deal, just use the appropriate screwdriver for the adjustment screws. Be careful not to thread them all the way past the stops or you might pop the springs and have to chase it down. It won't harm anything, it'll just be annoying to put back in.

Loosen the string before adjusting the saddle. Make the small adjustment, then retune the string and check it. You might have to do it a few times to get it right.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

toymach1ne posted:

Next DLC is a 4 pack of Singles

Fleetwood Mac "Go Your Own Way"
Jet "Are You Gonna be My Girl"
??
???

Nice, really looking forward to "Go Your Own Way".

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Il ]u p

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Are you okay? Do we need to call a doctor?

Looking forward to that DLC, both of those songs should be pretty fun on Bass.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
I've had a custom of Go Your Own Way for awhile. It's one of those songs that is definitely fun and interesting on bass, but it's not particularly difficult. It's more like Livin' on a Prayer and less like Boston, if that makes any sense.

So happy to see it as DLC, but I wish it was a whole Fleetwood Mac pack. :(

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Rock of Ages (2012) for Rocksmith tomorrow

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
'Sup thread - thought I'd spam you guys with another bass question. Last night, with the power of absinthe, I managed to 100% a few songs in a row. SUCCESS! :D But, I know that there's areas where I need work with my technique; And I'd like to get advice from our resident bass players here on what some good tracks to practice the techniques I want to learn.

To start, I noticed that on songs that have a long string of fast-paced notes (ex: pop-punk type stuff), instead of more "chill" tracks (Tom Petty, Sigur Ros) I've been gravitating towards the two fingered plucking technique, alternating using my index and middle fingers to keep up with the pop-punk style note salad.

I can keep decent time with the drummer on those strings of notes, but I eventually fall behind. I know it's technique because in alternating my fingers, I'll miss a note or two and that causes me to fall behind on the entire set of notes. I've been reading on studybass.com that instead of "digging in" to the string, to pluck it with your fingers in a "paintbrush" motion. Right now, I'm definitely guilty of digging in to the string.

Another technique I'm not sure how to properly pull off is muting notes. It's easy enough to do on guitar since you can just rest your palm on the strings. There's tips and tricks on how to do that on studybass, so I wanna give that a try. I'm enjoying the bass mode on Rocksmith, but I have noticed that it almost gives you pity points. As in, I can hear myself getting off time, but the game counts the notes as hit.

I'd rather not suck and have legitimately hit those notes with proper technique. As I haven't explored all the songs in the game, can you all recommend some good basslines that will let me practice these techniques without getting overwhelmed? When I do the non-stop play mode, it'll throw in tracks from Slayer or Megadeth and those crush me!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

A big part of bass is the groove and the feel, and Rocksmith doesn't really track that - you can 'get away with' a lot more. (Same with guitar but because there's stuff like multiple notes and bends, it's easier to get pulled up on something). Really you want to be listening to it yourself - you can tell if you sound good or not. Also Score Attack seems to be way more critical of your performance, if you're looking for a challenge!

Fast 16th notes (like your punk stuff) are tiring to play, which is why StudyBass recommends a lighter touch - playing too hard will fatigue you and maybe strain your fingers, and it'll make it harder to play fast and in time. You want economy of movement! You can vary your attack by using your nails, playing nearer the bridge, and EQing your bass so the attack is more pronounced. This is also why a lot of people use a pick for this kind of thing, you can thrash at it pretty quickly and get a biting tone

Really it's a combination of technique and practice. Get yourself a metronome - there are some online or one in Session mode if you want, but I'd run your bass through an amp if you can, any amount of lag is bad for this - and set it clicking, and get playing in time with it. Not too fast at first. Listen to your timing, you'll probably hear some notes are dead-on, others are kinda off. Maybe one of your fingers is less accurate, or maybe some strings give you more trouble than others. 10 or 15 minutes of just playing 1-2-3-4 to a click will give you results, and it's a great warmup before you play.

Another thing I like to do is bursts of double speed, where you play 1-2-3-4-1&2&3&4&1-2-3-4 - basically every few bars you add in the 8th notes inbetween the 4ths you're already playing. It keeps your timing constant and you can manage the double speed accurately for short bursts. As you get used to it, throw them in more often, or play two bars of 8ths instead, extending the fast part and building your stamina. If you start to struggle, you can work on that until your fingers start behaving. This might also help you find the beat again in the songs where you're getting thrown off

Muting is mostly done with the fretting hand on the bass - you can palm mute on a bass, same as with a guitar, usually with a pick or using your thumb like a pick so you can rest the heel of your palm on the bridge. But the usual method is to just relax your fretting hand, or just let it rest on the string if you weren't already fretting it, and pluck the string. It's a different tone to a palm mute, and depending on your setup (amp/gain etc) you might need to dig into it a bit more. It's a feel thing, play around until it sounds good

Muse songs are in all honesty like practice exercises, they tend to have a lot of 'run up through a scale in groups of three' or 'arpeggiate the chords in the progression' stuff, and lots of stamina-building straight 8th notes. Go With The Flow has the speed with a bit of string skipping. Depends what level you're at really!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GoQDWVuCes

That's about muting notes (ghost notes), unless you meant muting the ones you don't want to hear at all, in which case you want this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDSAd29kJ0o

Scott has some great beginner's videos so it's worth looking at his channel to get some tips on fundamentals

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

toymach1ne posted:

Rock of Ages (2012) for Rocksmith tomorrow

Hell yes.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Hit Singles Song Pack – $9.99

* Def Leppard “Rock of Ages (2012)”
* Fleetwood Mac “Go Your Own Way” – Capo Required [Rhythm]
* Jet “Are You Gonna Be My Girl”
* Kansas “Dust In The Wind” – Alt. Lead

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Goddamn I wish I'd bought Rocksmith on Mac ages ago instead of my PS3 version, having access to CDLC has opened up so cool options.
Hell I even got the power rangers theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

toymach1ne posted:

Hit Singles Song Pack – $9.99

* Def Leppard “Rock of Ages (2012)”
* Fleetwood Mac “Go Your Own Way” – Capo Required [Rhythm]
* Jet “Are You Gonna Be My Girl”
* Kansas “Dust In The Wind” – Alt. Lead

Goddamn Fleetwood Mac and Kansas paired with two songs I really don't mind. I guess this is a buy for me.