Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

i installed i3 and it seems alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i want something that does what slate does on osx -- just a set of keybindings for arranging your windows into tiles that works over your existing WM.

Does gnome have anything like that?

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i want something that does what slate does on osx -- just a set of keybindings for arranging your windows into tiles that works over your existing WM.

Does gnome have anything like that?

I'm pretty sure xmonad can do that

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pram posted:

i use multiple tabs in Terminal.app on Apple Operating System X 10.10.4 Yosemite

same

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

pram posted:

i use multiple tabs in Terminal.app on Apple Operating System X 10.10.4 Yosemite

same

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
back when i used to use the bad os, windows, i bought secureCRT for the tabs because putty's tab thing was dumb+bad

but now on osx, a good os, its just built in.

thanks osx team and glorious leader timb cook

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Soricidus posted:

i've finally had to use windows 8 (well, technically 2012) and the experience has convinced me that neither gnome3 nor unity is the worst possible desktop user interface

looking forward to my workplace introducing windows 10 in five years or so, till then it's back to the linux vms and trying to pretend windows isn't there

i'm running both 8.1 and 10 on different machines and although 10 finally dumped the tiled start menu for the desktop i'm doing that already in 8 with start8, and there's nothing else i find compelling about 10. so install that or classic shell (which is not quite as nice but is free) is my recommendation.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i3 is good poo poo.

also gently caress installing linux on macbooks

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
macbooks are almost* the perfect linux laptop

*the exception is the lovely broadcom wireless. but that sucks equally bad under osx. it's more of a general lol apple problem than a linux problem

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

i wanted this to be true so badly when this ad was published

then i actually got an osx system for myself. that lasted about a month. n

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Is a tiling window manager the best bet for minimizing the use of a mouse?

wm was pretty nice with all atk apps but it didn't minimize the use of the mouse; it actually required three buttons, between using the left and right for scrolling (like the Xerox UIs) and using the middle to pop up the menu cards

having consistent UI widgets in every app and full interop with copy & paste, object embedding, and so on was pretty sweet too

too bad X had to come along and ruin everything

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Powerbook G4 was probably the best laptop you could do work on back in the day.

You had to install Lunix on it, obviously, but then it was really good.

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
oh hey, virtualbox on linux now uses kvm as it's backend. kinda neat.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

macbooks are almost* the perfect linux laptop

*the exception is the lovely broadcom wireless. but that sucks equally bad under osx. it's more of a general lol apple problem than a linux problem

There are a few more problems than that but the cool part is there are only a handful of models each year so there are a ton of workarounds to everything.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol @ broadcom

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
So I was thinking if I was going to use a tiling window manager I would try arch. The entire point of grub2 was to make it easier for the distribution to handle configuring the boot loader for you. Also, in the name of freedom of choice Arch does not include wpa_supplicant in their base system. I was sufficiently annoyed at the distro of sperg that I installed ubuntu w/ a tiling window manager.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

SYSV Fanfic posted:

So I was thinking if I was going to use a tiling window manager I would try arch. The entire point of grub2 was to make it easier for the distribution to handle configuring the boot loader for you. Also, in the name of freedom of choice Arch does not include wpa_supplicant in their base system. I was sufficiently annoyed at the distro of sperg that I installed ubuntu w/ a tiling window manager.

source ur quotes

(what the gently caress do tiling window managers have to do with grub2 and what the gently caress does grub2 have to do with arch in particular this sounds like the rantings of a crazy person except with fewer randomly capitalized words)

pram
Jun 10, 2001
tiling window managers only seem cool on a theoretical level. in practice and reality theyre hot steaming poo poo for retarded autists. hth

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

pram posted:

tiling window managers only seem cool on a theoretical level. in practice and reality theyre hot steaming poo poo for retarded autists. hth

that's why Symbolics switched away from tiling pretty quickly, even if most of their users still chose to tile rather than overlap their windows

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Mr Dog posted:

source ur quotes

(what the gently caress do tiling window managers have to do with grub2 and what the gently caress does grub2 have to do with arch in particular this sounds like the rantings of a crazy person except with fewer randomly capitalized words)

I was incoherently saying that arch is an especially POS OS IMHO.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

eschaton posted:

that's why Symbolics switched away from tiling pretty quickly, even if most of their users still chose to tile rather than overlap their windows

a reasonable, but pointless choice symbolics made. the correlation between lisp and autism is probably beyond 100%

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

pram posted:

tiling window managers are insanely productive, it's just that it's soooooooooooo hardddddddddddddd for your average retard to learn 4 or 5 keyboard shortcuts, hence dragging window borders around like a caveman (and then all the drag-to-snap hacks built on top of that)

if "being good at using a computer" makes me a "retarded autist" ... lol at least it pays well

pram
Jun 10, 2001
are you seriously equating the ability to use a tiling window manager with 'being good at using a computer'

pram
Jun 10, 2001
heh, at least investing hours of work hand curating my linux desktop experience pays well :smug:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I was incoherently saying that arch is an especially POS OS IMHO.

Arch is cool and good

If you're using UEFI then run "bootctl install" as root and then create a four-line config file in /boot/loader/entries. If you don't like writing config files by hand then Arch isn't for you i guess, but then most Linux installers are "Partition your disk and run your package manager, except using a bunch of crippled one-off tools that are pointlessly different to the ones you normally use to perform this task for some reason".

If you're motherboard doesn't have a UEFI firmware in anno domini 2015 then lol what the gently caress are you even doing (installing grub2, i suppose)

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

well i would consider efficient use of my time 'being good at computers' ya

but i guess you're right if learning a handful of keyboard shortcuts for you entails 'investing hours of work hand curating your linux desktop experience', you should probably stick to your mac

pram
Jun 10, 2001
very nice and impressive. do you put that on your resume

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Skills: master of obscure tiling window manager on esoteric linux distribution. unparalleled efficiency at switching applications w/ keyboard shortcuts

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Arch is terrible and bad because it is a rolling release distro that tries to use the absolute latest version of everything, aggressively deletes old packages from mirrors, and does not support having packages installed from different snapshots of the repositories. This means that every time you want to install or update something you have to do a full-system update which is basically playing russian roulette with untested system software, and if it goes wrong you're unlikely to be able to roll it back.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Ralith posted:

Arch is terrible and bad

occams razor

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Ralith posted:

Arch is terrible and bad because it is a rolling release distro that tries to use the absolute latest version of everything, aggressively deletes old packages from mirrors, and does not support having packages installed from different snapshots of the repositories. This means that every time you want to install or update something you have to do a full-system update which is basically playing russian roulette with untested system software, and if it goes wrong you're unlikely to be able to roll it back.

Sounds cool. You get to gently caress around with your computer instead of working. Epic.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I have to talk, sell, read, write, etc at work. I would much rather trawl linux forums for cj solutions. Much more enjoyable.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
yea but this basically happens with mobile phone app stores anyway. everything constantly updating and changing its ui in horrible ways with no warning. pretend i went to txtn.us/text-fullwidth and typed ALL HAIL THE NEW FLESH there and pasted the result into this post

xdg-app will probably make things a bit less painful for linux desktop apps, who knows maybe we'll even see some commercial software making use of it. it's actually a pretty well-thought-out and resource-efficient piece of software that's a sandboxed app store without the actual app store part.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Mr Dog posted:

yea but this basically happens with mobile phone app stores anyway. everything constantly updating and changing its ui in horrible ways with no warning. pretend i went to txtn.us/text-fullwidth and typed ALL HAIL THE NEW FLESH there and pasted the result into this post

lol, just enable japanese input and switch it to full-width latin input, it's not hard

unless you're on linux in which case it might be hard because they keep deprecating all the input methods and rewriting the entire subsystem from scratch every couple of years, just like everything else

stinch
Nov 21, 2013
last time i had to do anything to my arch laptop that required any effort was the move to systemd, that was in what 2012?

though arch is mostly good in comparison to the half arsed way most of the conventional release distros to releases.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

i just assume tiling window manager users are coming from the same place as vinyl record listeners

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

so loving future posted:

tiling window managers are insanely productive, it's just that it's soooooooooooo hardddddddddddddd for your average retard to learn 4 or 5 keyboard shortcuts, hence dragging window borders around like a caveman (and then all the drag-to-snap hacks built on top of that)

if "being good at using a computer" makes me a "retarded autist" ... lol at least it pays well

productive at moving windows around lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
tiling managers would probably be cool and good if poo poo was designed ground up to use them

in reality there are lots of times and places where what you really want is a modal window or a genuine honest to god mdi, and tiling window managers vary only in how badly they fail to support those corner cases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Tmux session in a full screen terminal emulator works great. Thanks to whoever put that suggestion out there.