Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Someone needs to stress that JEB has said his Dad is greater than Reagan and that he would support Trump for President. (if he won the nomination)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jan 22, 2016

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

And to think, Linda McMahon spent fifty million dollars of her own money to run for Senate in 2010 and 15 in 2012.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Handy guide for your technical questions about primaries: there are over fifty jurisdictions each with their own rules overseen by a national party with no real authority that tries its best to keep a sane schedule for the candidates (and often fails).

Due to those circumstances, any crazy scenario you can think up could probably happen somewhere, but the majority of participants in the system are incentivized to ensure that it doesn't.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
According to a Politico reporter, Hillary completely dodged a question about Schumer's stance on the Iran Deal.

quote:

At the end of her Q+A session, Hillary was also asked about Schumer's Iran stance—she hesitated, then thought better of answering, and left.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Couldn't Trump just latch onto Americans Elect and gently caress up enough states for the GOP to lose?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

GalacticAcid posted:

According to a Politico reporter, Hillary completely dodged a question about Schumer's stance on the Iran Deal.

Where was this? Is there video? I thought Hillary was for the deal.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

GalacticAcid posted:

Why is she is so shady?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Soviet Commubot posted:

Couldn't Trump just latch onto Americans Elect and gently caress up enough states for the GOP to lose?

The guy who runs Americans Elect, Peter Ackerman, spent most of 2012 fighting to ensure that the Paulites didn't take it over, which required him to change the nominating rules several times. The exercise has always been a naked Draft Bloomberg operation and he's not going to want to muddy the group's moderate technocratic sheen by turning it over to a clown. Also, Americans Elect wasn't able to get on all the ballots in 2012.

Now, the Libertarian Party, on the other hand..... :getin:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

MrBims posted:

Where was this? Is there video? I thought Hillary was for the deal.

Hillary is for whatever gets her elected. The Iran Deal is probably unpopular because Americans are idiots, so Hillary doesn't want to associate with it too strongly.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Miltank posted:

Why is she is so shady?

"gently caress it I get to indulge my inner Nixon, the party will cover for me anyway"?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the reason that question was awkward for :shillary: is that schumer has endorsed her for president but his position is different from hers, hth

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

the reason that question was awkward for :shillary: is that schumer has endorsed her for president but his position is different from hers, hth

A lot of her donors also oppose the deal which further alters the calculus, hth.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

A Bag of Milk posted:

That was a congressional race where nobody was paying attention and the establishment guy didn't care or campaign. You can't slip past unnoticed in a presidential race, and Trump will have the full weight of GOP establishment money, power, and organization working against him.

And Trump has the personal wealth to tell them "back the gently caress off or I run third party and you lose any possible hope of winning the White House and I might even damage some of your down ticket stuff as an additional bonus."

If Trump wants to run there's nothing they can do to stop him If he wins enough primaries they're stuck with him and if they do a powerplay to block him from the nomination he won't be a meek little chump like Ron Paul was when they did some last minute poo poo to keep from from speaking at the convention since it will guarantee he not only runs 3rd party but it would be suicide for the GOP.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

The site wouldn't let me use more than 160 chars for flavor text.

It says Trample when it should be Trumple. :colbert:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

A lot of her donors also oppose the deal which further alters the calculus, hth.

http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2015/08/06/top-hillary-clinton-donor-comes-out-against-iran-deal/

The AIPAC crowd hates the deal.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Hillary can't triangulate in real time

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Here is the Hillary video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53eG4xL7kxU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

yet another of the donald's strengths comes into play: no donors to pander to

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

GalacticAcid posted:

Eh, I'm not really reading that as her being hesitant to publicly support the deal, more doesn't want to say anything regarding Schumer.

Besides she already publicly supported the deal

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hillary-clinton-comes-out-in-favor-of-obamas-iran-deal/

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

theblackw0lf posted:

Eh, I'm not really reading that as her being hesitant to publicly support the deal, more doesn't want to say anything regarding Schumer.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hillary-clinton-comes-out-in-favor-of-obamas-iran-deal/

What a loving surprise, the establishment democrat was for it before she was against it

This thrilling new strategy certainly hasn't been tried before, and couldn't possibly go wrong!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Surprising Scott Walker answer: he likes The West Wing.

Unsurprising Scott Walker answers: his nickname is "walkman" and he sleeps well at night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXpRDh8VCpc

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Paper With Lines posted:

Catching up, but I wouldn't call him an academic in statistics. He makes nice little models for public consumption.

Yep (also catching up).

My main point was that his skills are in presenting those nice little models to the public, not in the complexity or accuracy of his models. You would not find many in the statistics community (by this I mean professors and others with/getting PhDs who publish research; Nate Silver has a BA) who would consider him an expert. He undoubtedly has a fair bit of domain knowledge about statistics applied to politics at this point, but wouldn't be considered an expert in this arena either.

But he does provide a valuable service. There aren't many alternatives to Nate Silver because the people capable of outclassing him statistically focus on research papers with a level of rigor much higher than what Nate Silver puts out (and would find repeated political poll analysis to be dull, academically speaking). But that kind of work takes much too long to publish with any regularity. So while Nate Silver is limited in his statistics education and rigor, he can put out his models much quicker than is possible in academia. Which is important, because reminding the public that statistics is a thing is important.

Andrew Gelman, who Nate Silver had as a first author for his only real paper in 2012, is an example of someone I'd consider an expert in both statistics and political science. But, funnily enough (because it points out why Nate Silver and his ilk are important), he's also a terrible lecturer (trust me!).

I haven't been saying these things because I'm a rabid Bernie supporter who doesn't like what he has to say or anything (though I do find it amusing he's getting beaten by simple poll averages), just pointing out that he's not really an expert at statistics. He's Bill Nye the Science Guy, but for statistics. Bill Nye is not an accomplished theoretical physicist. But the job he does in promoting science education is likewise important.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

theblackw0lf posted:

I agree with this.

In other news, :rip: Rick Perry.

quote:

August 10, 2015 Former Texas Gov. Rick Perry's campaign team in South Carolina is no longer being paid by his presidential campaign, National Journal has learned.

"Pay is only one reason people do this," Katon Dawson, Perry's South Carolina state director said in an interview. "We'll be able to live off the land for a while."

It is not clear if or when paychecks will start backing up for Perry's team in South Carolina. Dawson said that Perry staffers in the state "have been paid up to two weeks ago."

Dawson said core members of Team Perry, including himself, will continue to work, even if unpaid. He said Walter Whetsell and Le Frye, two top Perry operatives in the state, are among those still working.

"We'll do it whether there's pay or no pay," Dawson said. In addition to the pay freeze, at least one Perry staffer was let go last week. Dawson said that move was unrelated to any "financial discomfort."

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Mirthless posted:

What a loving surprise, the establishment democrat was for it before she was against it

This thrilling new strategy certainly hasn't been tried before, and couldn't possibly go wrong!

She isn't against it. But she has to know her reputation and how stuff like that will play on the media, and should be quick enough to say something like, "As I have stated before, I support the Iran Deal." Of course, as a Bernout, I am glad she doesn't.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
How do you not have a prepped stance on obvious topics of questioning though? Is Hillary not a good politician?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Joementum posted:

Unsurprising Scott Walker answers: his nickname is "walkman" and he sleeps well at night.

Please don't spin Joementum. He simply said he prefers West Wing to House of Cards.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

I agree with this.

In other news, :rip: Rick Perry.

When a Perry staffer says "Live off the land for a while," I fully believe that the Perry campaign is going to be sleeping in tents in the woods and foraging for food.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here's the Rubio version. I love his childlike enthusiasm when he realizes he can answer the questions. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTOUy4uItps

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Joementum posted:

Scott Walker won't tell us what the last movie he watched was

It really makes me wonder what the hell was was watching!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

GalacticAcid posted:

Bold stances. I can tell she really has a vision for America :downsbravo:

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

spacemang_spliff posted:

Bold stances. I can tell she really has a vision for America :downsbravo:

I can't wait to find out what it is after she's inaugurated!

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Erick Erickson gets called out on his own history of sexist tweets. His response?

quote:

"I have apologized for a lot of things. I don’t regret that," Erickson said. "I think a lot of feminist groups tend to prove they’re humorless. And I don’t regret some of the statements Donald Trump has pulled out.”

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Joementum posted:

He has to be a registered Republican to get on the primary ballot in several states (New Hampshire in particular), but there's technically no national party rule stating that a candidate cannot win delegates while also running a third party campaign of sorts.

That said, this is one of those "Air Bud" scenarios of the primary that people often ask about where the real answer is: the party has a way to shut that whole thing down. In this case, the credentials committee would refuse to seat his delegates.

Can't he hijack a 3rd party that is already on the ballot, too?
Granted, he wouldn't be on all 50 state ballots, but it would be better than nothing.

Edit: already answered. :getin: indeed

Pohl fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Aug 11, 2015

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005
Can anyone in good conscience deny that most feminists are humorless stumps though.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Journo on Twitter says it's not just SC that Perry's having money problems in.

quote:

I’m told Perry has stopped paying all staff, not just South Carolina.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Can anyone in good conscience deny that most feminists are humorless stumps though.

:getout:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

First to drop out might be Perry? Wouldn't have guessed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Noted exceptions of course.

http://feministryangosling.tumblr.com/

• Locked thread