Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
All those Baywatching videos... I,ve got the theme song stuck in my head and I don't care.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNMNZZQJkP0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

boom boom boom posted:

Probably because they're busy making their terrible movie.

HEY! Space Cop will be this generation's most important examination of racial politics ever to grace any screen. It will have depth and meaning on so many levels, it will take thousands of blog posts just to begin to scratch the surface. The casting of a white actor to place Space Cop himself is just the first brushstroke upon an infinite canvas of subtle satire that, frankly, you just aren't capable of comprehending.

Space Cop.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Space Cop is gonna loving suck

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

The making of cruddy homemade "movies" is the bane of internet reviewers... :(

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

The making of cruddy homemade "movies" is the bane of internet reviewers... :(

Nah they made Feeding Frenzy while doing the Plinkett stuff as well and honestly it was pretty decent. Plus Space Cop is something they do in their spare time, I doubt it effects anything they actually want to do.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Miss Wallace posted:

Eddie Kramer is a masterful failure of a human being.

While it's not a great thing to think about, I think I've realised how Eddie must have gotten his job. If Captain Thorpe knew about Eddie dropping out of high school but didn't care, maybe Eddie got the job by giving Captain Thorpe sexual favours. Nooooooooo

Shauni's identical sister confused the hell out of me. I love that you thought Eddie was Hobie, haha.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

lornekates posted:

Remember way-back-when-- TNG was still on the air. There would always be commercials where you could sign up for a subscription service. They'd send you, like, two episodes of TNG every month. It'd be something like $20 per tape, and they'd only send you a tape every month or so.

VHS used to be insane back in the day. You could order the opening mini-series of the Transformers or GIJoe cartoons (5 22 minute episodes) for the low, low price of $40. It gets better when you adjust that number for inflation, then it comes to 87 dollars in today's money.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Asuron posted:

I doubt it effects anything they actually want to do.

...b-but I like watching internet critic reviewers for their reviews on the internet. :shrug: I don't want Brad's embroidery patterns or Alison's home-brew guide or Kyle's ornithology diary or Doug's parenting tips or Noah's recipe column or Yahtzee's sci-fi novel or Mike's movie. I know, mean old me. :(

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
I think I would be entertained by almost any of those. Although Doug's parenting tips sounds kind of horrifying.

Alison, now's the time to get into home brew.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Asuron posted:

Nah they made Feeding Frenzy while doing the Plinkett stuff as well and honestly it was pretty decent. Plus Space Cop is something they do in their spare time, I doubt it effects anything they actually want to do.

Yeah, making a full length feature feature film is the sort of thing you can do just by spending a couple hours on it every eekend, it's no big deal.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Hey Kyle, do you have an ETA on when the BHH on Blue is gonna be on Youtube? There's a thread on another forum where I want to link the review, but Blip is so close to shutting down it seems kind of pointless to make a link that's going to be invalid in a little over a week.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It's like people don't realize RLM were amateur filmmakers first, hack internet reviewers second.

Not like anything can beat Jay's masterpiece of Pork Pork in Space but still.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's like people don't realize care RLM were amateur filmmakers first, hack internet reviewers second.

E: Don't think I am dissing RLM, Brad, Simon R. and others who start out as low/no-budget filmmakers. I wish them well but I don't want to see their films. I'm only interested in their criticism and commentaries. That's my personal slant. Some people like to consume everything a producer does it's just I'm not one of them and I get a bit grumpy when there is less content I like. To be fair, RLM have a great work ethic and consistent output so I don't begrudge them doing other stuff because they are really solid when they do produce the criticism/commentaries. :)

\/ \/ \/
Fair point and I would feel restricted if I could work in only one way.

Josef K. Sourdust fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Aug 10, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You may not care, but it's where their passions lie. Their on-the-side internet review stuff blew up, but they're still primarily amateur filmmakers.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Bad Wolf posted:

VHS used to be insane back in the day. You could order the opening mini-series of the Transformers or GIJoe cartoons (5 22 minute episodes) for the low, low price of $40. It gets better when you adjust that number for inflation, then it comes to 87 dollars in today's money.

I was the worst kid because I wanted to follow DBZ but my mom wouldn't get cable, so she instead bought the VHS tapes. They were like 3 episodes at most for 30 bucks.

I don't even want to imagine the cost after it was all said and done.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It's like people don't realize RLM were amateur filmmakers first, hack internet reviewers second.

Not like anything can beat Jay's masterpiece of Pork Pork in Space but still.

Same thing with Brad. Made movies before reviews, but the reviews are all people care about.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

...and the only reason we know about the films of RLM/Brad/James etc. is we were on some chat board somewhere and someone posted a link to a funny review video they did. We followed the link and watched their other videos and found out their back story. I want to know one person here who first saw The Grabowskis or Brad's exploitation films or AVGN movie and then discovered they were critics.

My point is that these critics only have even modest audiences for their films is the popularity they got from reviewing. I know fans can be petulant whiny manchildren and demand more of the same forever - but they can also act as echochambers demanding skits become standalone videos and saying creators are born actors. They can pressure a creator to stay the same but also to move into other areas. Both staying and moving can be bad in terms of outcome. Personally, I like certain critics because they do a good job and I want to see more of that content. It is just my own situation but I know I will watch and re-watch Best of the Worst but I will never watch an RLM film.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

e X posted:

I just got to the last appearance of Captain Thorpe and I got a question: Aside from teh Hoff himself, which character stayed the longest on the show. From the ones we already know I mean.

I know someone else said it, but Newmie and Hobie 2 are the ones who stay the longest with the Hoff. Newmie takes foreeeeeever to get a spot in the opening credits, and he eventually gets to have some subplots! Truly a wonderful time to be alive. I hope you're ready for toupee jokes and wacky mouse chases.

On the flipside, there's one character named Skylar who is in the opening credits and only appears in 4 episodes, which I think is a record. And of those 4 episodes, I only remember her saying like one line. The chick was a Playboy actress they added and...clearly it didn't work out.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I will forever miss Craig and his creepy dadstares

We all will. That, and his lifeguard-or-lawyer dilemma. (BTW Craig's last story line and conclusion is absolutely hilarious.)

Infamous Sphere posted:

While it's not a great thing to think about, I think I've realised how Eddie must have gotten his job. If Captain Thorpe knew about Eddie dropping out of high school but didn't care, maybe Eddie got the job by giving Captain Thorpe sexual favours. Nooooooooo

It's quite possible, because Captain Thorpe did seem to have a thing for Eddie. Eddie/Thorpe shippers cried the day they lost their otp.

Infamous Sphere posted:

Alison, now's the time to get into home brew.

Nah, I'll put it out in book form, rake in the cash!

Seriously though, I got mad respect for anyone who can get out there and make their own movie, regardless of quality. It's a ton of work and takes a lot of passion to complete for not a huge audience, so you have to do it because you love it. I would do it just to have my name on something like that that I created, and if it found an audience that would be a nice bonus.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Miss Wallace posted:

It's quite possible, because Captain Thorpe did seem to have a thing for Eddie. Eddie/Thorpe shippers cried the day they lost their otp.

I realize that the conditions that supported the continued existence of Baywatch necessarily do not include the internet, but I would still love to see the alternate universe where Baywatch had a thriving Tumblr fandom while it was on.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I realize that the conditions that supported the continued existence of Baywatch necessarily do not include the internet, but I would still love to see the alternate universe where Baywatch had a thriving Tumblr fandom while it was on.

I could see a lot of Tumblr loving it ironically and making memes out of it. There is a great tumblr dedicated to Baywatch that's kind of like that, haha.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Infamous Sphere posted:

. Although Doug's parenting tips sounds kind of horrifying.

If any of Doug's reviews where a kid is present is any indication, his parenting tips would just be "Tell the kid to calm down and find a REAL problem"

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

Jsor posted:

Hey Kyle, do you have an ETA on when the BHH on Blue is gonna be on Youtube? There's a thread on another forum where I want to link the review, but Blip is so close to shutting down it seems kind of pointless to make a link that's going to be invalid in a little over a week.

Soon! I've been slow to upload, I know, but when I get the ball rolling on that I'll upload in reverse-chronological order. Everything from last year will be on Youtube within the week, Blue included. I just need to spend an evening doing some minor re-edits.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

...b-but I like watching internet critic reviewers for their reviews on the internet. :shrug: I don't want Brad's embroidery patterns or Alison's home-brew guide or Kyle's ornithology diary or Doug's parenting tips or Noah's recipe column or Yahtzee's sci-fi novel or Mike's movie. I know, mean old me. :(

Yahtzee's sci-fi novel is almost infinitely more valuable to him as a work, accomplishment and milestone of his career than any of his reviews, and in fact, reviewers should be pursuing non-review pursuits and accomplishments, because we've already seen the bubble burst and leave a lot of folks in the lurch.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010

Miss Wallace posted:

Nominating Theddie as their portmanteau couple name!

Miss Wallace posted:

Nah, I'll put it out in book form, rake in the cash!

Seriously though, I got mad respect for anyone who can get out there and make their own movie, regardless of quality. It's a ton of work and takes a lot of passion to complete for not a huge audience, so you have to do it because you love it. I would do it just to have my name on something like that that I created, and if it found an audience that would be a nice bonus.

Another thing to consider is that most people are doing something else before they start internet reviewing. I'm a visual artist, and that's what most people know that I do in real life. I'd probably be a little annoyed if someone complained that I was spending too much time on my art or my studies and not enough time reviewing (although there's certainly no such concept as "infinite time", and studies/art/making a movie certainly takes up a fair whack of your hours.) And yeah, I appreciate almost anyone who went to the effort of making a movie - and if they hadn't, think of how much weird b movie amateur filmmaking we wouldn't have access to.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
That's always been my wonder about Internet reviewers. Like, assuming that you know that such a career is short-lived or unsustainable, do you list it on your resume? Leave the 3-5 years of "made goofy videos about movies online" off?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

MisterBibs posted:

That's always been my wonder about Internet reviewers. Like, assuming that you know that such a career is short-lived or unsustainable, do you list it on your resume? Leave the 3-5 years of "made goofy videos about movies online" off?

Since this is sort of a weird job that not a lot of people off the internet get, I tend to say movie critic or comedian. Regardless of how I list it, it's a legitimate job that can and has led to other opportunities.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Remember that most jobs come from personal connections--like 85% or more. Meeting and knowing internet weirdos can take your life in all kinds of directions, especially if you're in the arts/ do creative stuff.

You probably have at least one lunatic fan who's going to invent sentient AI or start the next netflix or something, and they'll for sure recognize you if you go out for a job. Plus I guess it's good for artists/filmmakers to stick together and collaborate?

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm still freaked out that Eddie shares a name with noted editor, Dragon*Con founder, and convicted child molester Ed Kramer.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
I was just surprised by the drop-off in Red Letter Media stuff since they've got infrastructure and a rotating crew of people working for them; guess they're serious about finishing "Space Cop".

[...]Alison's home-brew guide[...]
I wouldn't be too surprised if an internet critic started a limited beer brand, what with the huge overlap between nerds and beer snobs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uphcEJW-MDA

Jim Fuckin' Sterling, Son takes on Konami yet again after the company's latest loving bizarre decision to turn Castlevania into an "Erotic Violence" arcade game, or pachinko machine or whatever the gently caress Konami thinks will be profitable.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uphcEJW-MDA

Jim Fuckin' Sterling, Son takes on Konami yet again after the company's latest loving bizarre decision to turn Castlevania into an "Erotic Violence" arcade game, or pachinko machine or whatever the gently caress Konami thinks will be profitable.

I saw this eariler. Holy poo poo this is awesome. And loving frightening :stare:. How does a company expect a someone making a video game to work WITHOUT a computer? :psyduck:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I like that you may need to wait for over a month just so you can have approval to ask for loving approval to get training on the job you've been expected to do the entire time without any single thing to do it.

That their video game stuff is a travesty and mess isn't a surprise though. They only care about like pachinko machines and health spas anyway. I wonder if they're better done; be hard to be any worse at least.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Yeah, making a full length feature feature film is the sort of thing you can do just by spending a couple hours on it every eekend, it's no big deal.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but if you are, that's what they've been doing with Space Cop for years now. They said that themselves, whenever they have spare time and schedules are clear they just film the movie in little chunks.

Not everyone can do that, but RLM have enough experience with making small budget films that they can probably make it work

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Asuron posted:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but if you are, that's what they've been doing with Space Cop for years now. They said that themselves, whenever they have spare time and schedules are clear they just film the movie in little chunks.

Not everyone can do that, but RLM have enough experience with making small budget films that they can probably make it work

Oh, sweet, you'll be able to tell hen each scene as filmed based on how fat Mike is and how hot Jay is!

It's gonna be loving awful

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

boom boom boom posted:

Oh, sweet, you'll be able to tell hen each scene as filmed based on how fat Mike is and how hot Jay is!

Or they could, you know, have references to match their appearances to in order to keep continuity.

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

boom boom boom posted:

Okay, but what do you think about how Space Cop will turn out?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TheMaestroso posted:

Or they could, you know, have references to match their appearances to in order to keep continuity.

Either they planned it out super-well, and they managed to film the entire thing in chronological order over the course of the entire production, and the movie covers enough time to explain their physical changes, or the movie takes place in a universe where time and logic are breaking down, and a man may gain or lose 50 pounds, or go from schlubby to hottie between scenes or it's gonna be a sort of Dhalgren-esque thing, where there's no clear end or entry point to the work, and things go in circles and time and space are neither constant nor predictable?

lornekates posted:

Okay, but what do you think about how Space Cop will turn out?

It's gonna be a piece of poo poo.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TheMaestroso posted:

Or maybe, just maybe, in a movie like Space Cop those details are all part of the joke?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

Remember that most jobs come from personal connections--like 85% or more. Meeting and knowing internet weirdos can take your life in all kinds of directions, especially if you're in the arts/ do creative stuff.

You probably have at least one lunatic fan who's going to invent sentient AI or start the next netflix or something, and they'll for sure recognize you if you go out for a job. Plus I guess it's good for artists/filmmakers to stick together and collaborate?

For sure. I wouldn't have any of the opportunities I've had if not for networking and collaborating with creative folks.

Robert Denby posted:

I wouldn't be too surprised if an internet critic started a limited beer brand, what with the huge overlap between nerds and beer snobs.

Yeah that wouldn't surprise me, but it wouldn't be me who did it. I hate beer, along with most other alcohol. Just never been a big drinker. But I know Lindsay and crew did their Pumpktoberfest vids, and Leo (Sci Fi Guy) has a beer tasting show I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

boom boom boom posted:

I know this thread is about critics and whatnot but you're really coming off as creepy and obsessive about how much you hate Space Cop.

• Locked thread