Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prawn Salad
Dec 7, 2010

I-I still think you're cool,
Onii-chan...

The_Other posted:

Been meaning to post this for a while; back in 2011 Tim Gunn did some videos on Youtube were he critiqued various superhero costumes, mainly those characters that have changed their look over the years. I know the videos are old but I thought people in this thread might be interested and might not have seen them.

Mr. Miracle, Black Canary, Catwoman, Batwoman, Star Sapphire, Power Girl, Spider-Man

Superman, Superboy, Robin, Nightwing, The Hulk

Alan Scott, Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner (worth watching just for Gunn's reaction to Guy's costume).

John Stewart, Kyle Rayner

Ooh, I've never seen the Green Lantern videos before. Apparently he also did two videos about Star Trek uniforms.

One

Two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureBoy
Jan 18, 2003

"Listen, no offense, but if I'm getting taken down, man, it ain't gonna be from fuckin' Speedball!"

The_Other posted:

Been meaning to post this for a while; back in 2011 Tim Gunn did some videos on Youtube were he critiqued various superhero costumes, mainly those characters that have changed their look over the years. I know the videos are old but I thought people in this thread might be interested and might not have seen them.

Mr. Miracle, Black Canary, Catwoman, Batwoman, Star Sapphire, Power Girl, Spider-Man

Superman, Superboy, Robin, Nightwing, The Hulk

Alan Scott, Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner (worth watching just for Gunn's reaction to Guy's costume).

John Stewart, Kyle Rayner

"Next week: More Star Trek fun with Tim Gunn!"
Oh cool, this must have come out really recently, I wonder when I can expect-- *Video uploaded 3 years ago* ...oh.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

There's a youtube commenter who's currently really mad at me because I commented negatively on the "classic" Harley Quinn outfit in the new Batman game, which is a glistening, vacuum-sealed latex version of the outfit.

I can see her belly button through her outfit.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lurdiak posted:

There's a youtube commenter who's currently really mad at me because I commented negatively on the "classic" Harley Quinn outfit in the new Batman game, which is a glistening, vacuum-sealed latex version of the outfit.

Eurgh, I never noticed that. If it wasn't skintight and latex for no good reason, I'd think that was a safe way to handle depicting the character, given the massive faults of the previous games. Argh, and I'd thought Knight had avoided the problems of City...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Eurgh, I never noticed that. If it wasn't skintight and latex for no good reason, I'd think that was a safe way to handle depicting the character, given the massive faults of the previous games. Argh, and I'd thought Knight had avoided the problems of City...

She only has that outfit in the Batgirl DLC, which is a flashback (yet another excuse to include more Joker). Her regular outfit in the game is this monstrosity:

The usual terribleness of modern Harley designs.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

Argh, and I'd thought Knight had avoided the problems of City...

Knight takes everything that sucked about City and wraps it in a pretty "next-gen" package. It's really quite sad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm not terrible at games so Knight is pretty fun.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Arkham games have always (except for Origins) had great gameplay with the absolute worst character designs these characters have ever been subjected to.

Batman started alright but has gradually turned into a hulked-out robot man and all the ladies have been uniformly terrible since the get-go.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Travis343 posted:

The Arkham games have always (except for Origins) had great gameplay with the absolute worst character designs these characters have ever been subjected to.

Batman started alright but has gradually turned into a hulked-out robot man and all the ladies have been uniformly terrible since the get-go.

The absolute travesty is that there's no classic Batman blue and gray suit to choose from.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

10 Beers posted:

The absolute travesty is that there's no classic Batman blue and gray suit to choose from.

If you weren't wearing the animated series skins for everyone in City, I don't wanna know you.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

If you weren't wearing the animated series skins for everyone in City, I don't wanna know you.

I divided my time between them. Love em both!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

10 Beers posted:

Arkham City had a very faithful Neal Adams Batman as well as the B:TAS suit to choose from.

The real tragedy is that the rest of the game still looks like it does when you're wearing it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

10 Beers posted:

Yes there is.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Lurdiak posted:

She only has that outfit in the Batgirl DLC, which is a flashback (yet another excuse to include more Joker). Her regular outfit in the game is this monstrosity:

The usual terribleness of modern Harley designs.

I don't have a problem with that one, or with the depictions of any of the female characters in the main game. City was much, much worse. It'll be interesting to see if the concept art for Knight is as mind-breakingly upsetting as the previous games.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Travis343 posted:

Arkham City had a very faithful Neal Adams Batman as well as the B:TAS suit to choose from.

The real tragedy is that the rest of the game still looks like it does when you're wearing it.

If someone were to make some kind of mod that reskins the entire game to look like the animated series, from the mooks to the buildings, I would pretty much never need to play another Batman game.

Although I suppose the problem with that is it presumes that someone would bother modding a WB Games PC port, which is a bit like putting nitro and rims on a wheelbarrow that has no handles.

Discendo Vox posted:

I don't have a problem with that one, or with the depictions of any of the female characters in the main game. City was much, much worse. It'll be interesting to see if the concept art for Knight is as mind-breakingly upsetting as the previous games.

I don't find it terrible because of how sexy it is, for the record. I just think it's horribly gaudy and kind of ruins a character that had a simple, elegant design.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Yes there is.

In Arkham Knight? How do you get that one?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I think it's the pack that just came out last week.

If you have it on PS4 you also have Adam West Batman though.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

I think it's the pack that just came out last week.

If you have it on PS4 you also have Adam West Batman though.

Huh, I had no idea. I'm on XBone, and it looks like they haven't released the Bat-Family Skin Pack yet. :(

Although the 1989 Batmobile skin pack makes me grin.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Oh, I guess it isn't actually out yet. It is August's release though, so it'll be out soon.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

I don't find it terrible because of how sexy it is, for the record. I just think it's horribly gaudy and kind of ruins a character that had a simple, elegant design.

It's definitely better than Sad Juggalo Harley from City where she just had smeary mascara in lieu of any kind of clown makeup and like the very tips of her pigtails dyed black.

The comics have finally managed to make a non-B:TAS Harley outfit that I don't hate in Roller Derby Harley though.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

You can play as the batman of zur-en-arrh now, so all other costumes are pointless

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Hey, think about it this way- with those metal links she's all set to go spelunking for some reason! I'm guessing this version of Harley's costume intentionally contains features designed to reference each version of the character and each game in the series, hence the combination of Arkham restraints, doctor's outfit white, mourning outfit skirts, and harlequin patterns. Which is a clever design idea, but a mess visually. Still, if we're at the point of complaining about visual style on a female comic book character in the Arkham series, Progress Has Been Made.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also "a mess visually" isn't really that bad an idea for a Harley costume.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I just read Zero Year and am strangely into purple gloves Batman.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's in the game too.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Pretty long interview with Alex Ross, going into Secret Wars covers and his Spider-Man redesign.

Calaveron posted:

Did they... did they pixelate her boobs and crotch?
It's just bad jpeg compression.

Lurdiak posted:

:agreed:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Aug 11, 2015

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Lurdiak posted:

I'm genuinely curious: Could you even make a realistic original Harley costume design without it coming out all sexified and pandering?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Calaveron posted:

I'm genuinely curious: Could you even make a realistic original Harley costume design without it coming out all sexified and pandering?

Of course you can, jeez. People have been cosplaying that outfit for years and only a few of them tend to go for the body paint look.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

redbackground posted:

Pretty long interview with Alex Ross, going into Secret Wars covers and his Spider-Man redesign.

I'm still not sure how I feel about that costume. Spidey's my favorite, and I've always loved the blue and red. I always thought the black was just okay, but I think the blue and red is spectacular. Amazing, even.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just don't understand why anyone would ask Alex Ross or Jim Lee to design costumes, yet they keep doing it.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
That green lantern logo on spidey's suit sure looks odd.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The weakest tweak I can imagine and tiny addons are not phrases that come to mind for putting a trio of nightlights on a Spidey suit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That new Spider-Man design is like the laziest thing possible which makes it that much worse.

"Yeah I added mood lighting and made his boots a little taller. Pay me, bitches."

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

That new Spider-Man design is like the laziest thing possible which makes it that much worse.

"Yeah I added mood lighting and made his boots a little taller. Pay me, bitches."

The thing is, the classic blue and red doesn't have much room for improvement. Either you have to throw it out and start from scratch, as with the black costume, or you do tiny changes for the sake of change, like tinkering with the shape of the eyes or the logo or whatever.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, that's why you just don't change it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
What about SpOck?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

What about SpOck?

That is a great spider costume.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

There could be a red Spider-Man, and a blue Spider-Man and they could have electricity powers.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Or give him a Mullet.

Also, we already have the Kid Spider-man, where's the Robot and armor Spider-man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I like that costume. It'll look good swinging across the Tokyo skyline. Eight year old me wants the action figure with light up action.

• Locked thread