Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Gwaihir posted:

I was about to say orders in as well, but.. If I go to 0118 or 0217, are either of those in the Thunder's rear arc? It only has 1 armor on it's rear CT, a chance to hit there might be worth lowering my shots from 7s to 8s. Otherwise I'm talking to 0319 and shooting the Thunder.
I might be wrong, but I looked at the arcs here and it looks like all of the 01 and 02 hexes south of the Thunder are in its rear arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
The easiest way is if the LoF comes in over the rear hexside of the target, it's a rear shot.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

The Merry Marauder posted:

The easiest way is if the LoF comes in over the rear hexside of the target, it's a rear shot.

Oh, that's great to know. Looks like I juuust miss the rear shot even in 0118. 319 and 7s it is!

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Aren't these the appropriate arcs? It looks like 0118 or 0217 are both rear shots.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think those are the firing arcs- They're different (and wider) than the arcs are for determining hits from what I remember.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

I think those are the firing arcs- They're different (and wider) than the arcs are for determining hits from what I remember.

We need confirmation because this can become a glorious turn.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Gwaihir posted:

That makes sense. I didn't realize that they were different. Too bad!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Viva Miriya posted:

We need confirmation because this can become a glorious turn.

I think Merry Marauder is right- I can get out of his firing arc entirely but I can't get rear shots on him.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

I think Merry Marauder is right- I can get out of his firing arc entirely but I can't get rear shots on him.

So just go for the right side and hope to hip that bitch.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Now the real question is.. Play it safe and shoot on 8s, or risk an AC20+MPLs hit to me on a 10 to shoot on 7s!

I think I need to play it safe though :<
Gotta be able to get out alive.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Go for 8s.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Gwaihir posted:

This is correct.

The only hexes entirely within the Thunder's rear arc are 0213, 0114, and 0115

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The prudent move it is then.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Let me play Devil's advocate and point out that 7 is most common result of a 2d6 roll, so going from hitting on 8s to 7s is a big deal in terms of odds of hitting (nearly 50% more hits). You might be letting the AC/20 get an unlikely shot on you this turn, but by bringing more of your damage to bear right now you could be preventing it from taking a better shot in the future.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Cerberus orders in; decided to stick with 0815.

Fingers crossed.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Voyager I posted:

Let me play Devil's advocate and point out that 7 is most common result of a 2d6 roll, so going from hitting on 8s to 7s is a big deal in terms of odds of hitting (nearly 50% more hits). You might be letting the AC/20 get an unlikely shot on you this turn, but by bringing more of your damage to bear right now you could be preventing it from taking a better shot in the future.

If I had probably any of the other armaments on my team, I'd probably do that, but my guns are pretty anemic in the scheme of things here.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I thought about giving you a Gunslinger but your lance needed a little mobility.

In happier news, I'll be upgrading my computer soon, so I'm in the process of gathering all the LP material I've generated over the years to ensure it makes the transition.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

PoptartsNinja posted:

I thought about giving you a Gunslinger but your lance needed a little mobility.

In happier news, I'll be upgrading my computer soon, so I'm in the process of gathering all the LP material I've generated over the years to ensure it makes the transition.

Oh, I don't mind the tradeoff at all- I love 5/8 heavies, having the maneuverability is great.
That said the Gunslinger is hilarious and would have been amazing too. Rear facing leg mounted MPLs? I mean lol. Also the 3 jets would be really nice to play hill tag with.

One of the things I'm most interested in for the LP as a whole is all your behind the scenes stuff, the things we don't see. I wouldn't mind an entire update just sorta showing a peek behind the curtain, so to speak. (Or if/when the LP ever finishes, just the most mammoth note dump ever about the twists and turns the universe took depending on each of our political and battle theatre votes).

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Gwaihir posted:

the 3 jets would be really nice to play hill tag with.

about that....

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
You'll be fiiiiiiiiiine!!!! The War Dog is going to continue it's "Most deadliest 'Mech" routine and kick the Sha Yu's leg off then come help you out!

I am totally sanguine about out position!

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Haha, well, maybe, but the Gunslinger jumps 2, the poor goofy thing.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oh, it does rofl. I was looking at the C3 version.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They had to save weight for the deck. What other `Mech mounts a lawn chair, umbrella, and charcoal grill as part of its standard configuration?

Telamon
Apr 8, 2005

Father of Ajax!

PoptartsNinja posted:

They had to save weight for the deck. What other `Mech mounts a lawn chair, umbrella, and charcoal grill as part of its standard configuration?

Well a Flamer is only what, half a ton? How many BTUs do you reckon that is, half a million? There's your grill right there.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

:f5:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
THEY FIRED THE HPG AS A BEAM WEAPON ?!?!?!

What book did they do that?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That's some quick work! Considering we've been fighting for all of like, 2 whole minutes of real time so far, hehe.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Affi posted:

THEY FIRED THE HPG AS A BEAM WEAPON ?!?!?!

What book did they do that?

I think you're remembering Morgan Hasek-Davion using the microwave projectors that power the Kathil shipyards in orbit as a space gun to shoot down some Death Commandos in "Warrior: Coup".

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I think the Wobblies might have done it at some point.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"Move to 1209," they said. "You'll be safer there," they said.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm pretty sure that beam is going up into the sky and PTN has drawn it that way because of the 3/4 downward perspective.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Alternately, the beam is sweeping from the vertical to the horizontal in one gigantic arc of searing death. :black101:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I hope that's just the targeting laser.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
HPGs need targeting lasers?!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Gwaihir posted:

No it's for the orbital strike the Capellans are sending down on Comguard facilities. :v:

I wonder how suicidal that would be?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 12, 2015

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Artificer posted:

I wonder how suicidal that would be?

Spectacularly.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

So we're about to witness the firepower of a fully armed and operational battle station?

Cool.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

How else would they know where to shoot the information?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
:catstare:

• Locked thread