Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Supraluminal posted:

As a small business operator, I've learned to love the barter economy. Let's say I have a profit margin of 50% on my product (not unheard of for value-added food, my industry). If I can give you $10 worth of product instead of $10 cash in exchange for something, I've effectively paid you $5 instead of $10.
You've still lost $5 of potential profit though so it still costs you ten bux. :smug:
Not to mention the cost of shipping the coffee. And it'll likely be cold before it arrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Poil posted:

You've still lost $5 of potential profit though so it still costs you ten bux. :smug:
Not to mention the cost of shipping the coffee. And it'll likely be cold before it arrives.

Only if by trading you product I lose out on a sale!

I think shipping brewed coffee in bags might result in bigger problems than coldness.

To get vaguely back on topic, the Skylines expansion sounds cool. Looking forward to making people ride bikes everywhere, and maybe getting to trim the mod list a bit assuming Moving Sun becomes obsolete. Maybe the economic side of the game will get fractionally more interesting with the new zone types?

My fondest dream for an expansion is that they would revamp the way zoning works on several levels (mostly by stealing all of Anselm's good ideas from Citybound), but I don't think that's likely to ever happen.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'm just so jazzed for a night view. Cities are night are one of my favourite things to look at. I'm going to build a city and then just stare at it. :allears:

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I hope it can match up to that first time I got a look at all of Los Santos by night in GTA V PC. That's might be the first time I've been genuinely stunned and amazed by a game in the same way I'm stunned by a landscape in real life.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

HopperUK posted:

I'm just so jazzed for a night view. Cities are night are one of my favourite things to look at. I'm going to build a city and then just stare at it. :allears:

I'm looking forward to "always night" as a mod, so that I can pretend I'm building a dystopian Ikea hellscape instead of a cheerful Ikea hellscape!

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Koesj posted:

I've tried doing some 5-level stacks but fuuuck thaaat if it's not perfectly symmetrical. You've basically got to do a bespoke design every time, and my cities are hella throwaway.

5 level stack from reddit user Koesj :)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 10, 2015

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Oh man someone tell me how to do sunken highways and interchanges on berms right now!

Section 31
Mar 4, 2012

Mandalay posted:

Art.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Mandalay posted:

Yeah but that fucker made it easy for himself by making all four quadrants exactly the same :mad:

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Frogfingers posted:

Oh man someone tell me how to do sunken highways and interchanges on berms right now!

Phone posting so I can't post pics but you need the terraform mod and fine road heights mod.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Subyng posted:

Phone posting so I can't post pics but you need the terraform mod and fine road heights mod.

This is a good start for investigation, thank you.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Even then I only use Fine Road Heights!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Uncle Jam posted:

My first boner breaker for this game was when I plopped a mega mall and found out its only function was for 10 tourists to come to it. No commercial function at all.

A bit late but… what turned it out from mere “breaker” to “permanent flaccidiser” was the note I read somewhere that parks & recreation buildings would effectively steal customers from commercial buildings. That makes it even more hilarious: it brings no useful tourist traffic and kills off (tax-paying) retail income. :D

No idea if it's still — or ever was — that way, but that's just funny.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Before the first major patch, parks made such a hefty dent in Commercial demand that there was a huge cross section of players who had been placing parks either for decoration's sake or trying to court offices to level 3, that they had a dead Commercial demand in the RCI meter, no matter what.

I think they still share to a point, but nothing like the original. With the amount of parks I place I basically have unlimited Commercial demand these days thanks to that tweak.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tippis posted:

A bit late but… what turned it out from mere “breaker” to “permanent flaccidiser” was the note I read somewhere that parks & recreation buildings would effectively steal customers from commercial buildings. That makes it even more hilarious: it brings no useful tourist traffic and kills off (tax-paying) retail income. :D

No idea if it's still — or ever was — that way, but that's just funny.

An unintended consequence of mechanics, basically. It was fixed.

Hey, can't get it all right straight off the bat.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Makes sense.

I came into the game too late to see that, but I have come across a few situations where I've been to liberal with my parks as a means to spread electricity across newly-constructed areas only to later end up with Commercial demand three-quarters full, but every other Commercial building complaining that they're not getting any customers.

So there's still some cross-over that occasionally makes the actual behaviour and wishes of the cims a bit… wonky.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 10, 2015

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

MasterControl posted:

Are there any goon modders? Bought the game and geek in me wants to have a branded coffee shop with my coffee companies logo.

Looked at the asset editor and it's not something I feel comfortable with. can offer free bags of coffee in exchange?

Interested because I fuggen love coffee. PM me bro.

Barn Owl
Oct 29, 2005
"text"

Mandalay posted:

Why do I only see one pillar in the top pic and a bunch in the bottom?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm worried that the only the most majestic and complex of cities will be backed by 6 or so 15 dollar paradox interactive style dlc

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
Is there a mod or anything that lets you flip buses so the doors are on the other side? Playing a map with left hand traffic is kinda soured by the buses all driving with their doors facing street side.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Haha that's hilarious. It's like a proper mass transit haters dream, poor people pouring onto a lane.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

Is there a mod or anything that lets you flip buses so the doors are on the other side? Playing a map with left hand traffic is kinda soured by the buses all driving with their doors facing street side.

There's a few busses on the workshop with the doors on the left hand side

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Barn Owl posted:

Why do I only see one pillar in the top pic and a bunch in the bottom?

Because I added those pillars before taking the second pic.

MasterControl
Jul 28, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Fishbus posted:

Interested because I fuggen love coffee. PM me bro.

Sure thing!

Decrepus posted:

Do you barter exclusively with your customers or do some of them use a form of currency?

Currency mostly. But I've done barter before. Mostly coffee for vinyl records.

reL
May 20, 2007
So I'm still having deathwave issues, despite running the "random lifespan" mod and it's kind of cramping my style. In my first 30k+ city I experienced the problem, and thought that the lifespan mod would solve it. I'd thought that it had, as I've made it to 50k+ without any apparent deathwaves, however my population has dropped from 58k to 51k and I've got bodies littering the streets. I was off building in a new area and wasn't paying attention, and it appears that my cemetaries have all filled. My crematorium capacity was still operating with excess capacity so I don't understand why none of the bodies are being picked up. Is there some sort of 100% cemetary-related glitch going on? Do I always need some cemetary room for bodies to be picked up?

Deathcare is so far the only real obnoxious part of this game. I kind of presume that the bulk of my 7k population decline is due to unhappiness and abandonment cycles from the piles of bodies, rather than actual death tolls...

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think most have found that crematoriums burn bodies faster than hearses transport them, even with a spotless road network. The solution is more crematoriums or cemeteries even if they don't claim to be at capacity. You can mothball extra crematoriums, or set cemeteries to empty, during times when people aren't dying.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I've found that cemeteries are very useful as buffers and transports even after you build your crematoriums. Just make sure they're nearby so the emptying is efficient.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

piratepilates posted:

Seriously look at how rad this is:

ToastyPotato posted:

That is loving terrifying. I mean it looks cool, but it is terrifying.

piratepilates posted:

It's in Germany though so it's probably perfect.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

One fatal accident in 114 years of operation is still pretty impressive.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Did that Elephant survive?

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
I decided to destroy my city to get the 1k abandoned buildings for observatory recently, as well as grab whatever else I could along the way

I started with about 5 million in the bank and dropped to -5 by the end, but decided to actually try and nurture it back to health instead of reloading

it worked, and I actually started making 10x much with a slightly higher population density on the rebound than before the crash :shepface:

Aside from that, getting a 50% crime rate is loving impossible: I actually demolished all my police stations instead of shutting them down for some reason and spent like a year of my city without police and it never went over 20%

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I decided to destroy my city to get the 1k abandoned buildings for observatory recently, as well as grab whatever else I could along the way

I started with about 5 million in the bank and dropped to -5 by the end, but decided to actually try and nurture it back to health instead of reloading

it worked, and I actually started making 10x much with a slightly higher population density on the rebound than before the crash :shepface:

Aside from that, getting a 50% crime rate is loving impossible: I actually demolished all my police stations instead of shutting them down for some reason and spent like a year of my city without police and it never went over 20%

there's some trick to the crime one that i can't quite remember. like building a bunch of parks and demolishing the roads to them or something. i'm sure someone else will clarify

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

To get a good crime rate, you don't just have to get rid of the police — you also have to give people some incentive to commit crime. All work and no play and all that…

You want abysmal land value, no entertainment (parks and the like), and absolutely no education. You can have some effect by also making sure they are suffering from unemployment, but it's a tricky balance act since they'll often just move out rather than become criminals. In an established city, it can be really hard to get the right people to stay and also not accidentally make new people move in and dilute your precious sea of bandits.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

TheQat posted:

there's some trick to the crime one that i can't quite remember. like building a bunch of parks and demolishing the roads to them or something. i'm sure someone else will clarify

Download the GTA V map from steam and run it once.

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

It really did end up being all about micromanaging the unemployment rate for me.

I created a city of 10-15k or so, built up a comfortable money buffer, and then went and removed all parks, police, health, garbage, etc.

I then removed all commercial zones, and all but a 4 by 4 square of industrial.

The trick is that you have to keep as high an unemployment rate as possible without having the city lose population. So if your population growth goes negative, add another 4-8 squares of industrial to lower unemployment just enough to lure them back. If your crime rate drops below about 52%, dezone 4-8 squares of industrial to raise the unemployment rate slightly and get the crime rate back up. Keep doing this for several in-game years.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Friction posted:

Download the GTA V map from steam and run it once.

Holy crap that still works? I hadn't done it because I thought someone said that got patched out or something?

Of course, and it was over water too. Though I guess that would be a safer fall from that height? Still though. No thanks.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Right, suspended trains are way more dangerous than normal rail, which never ever derails and sends cars flying around and smashing into each other. :v:

Literal Hamster
Mar 11, 2012

YOSPOS
Does anyone have a link to a decent set of high-capacity school assets? I never realized how much I relied upon the extra large elementary/high-schools from SC4: Rush Hour until this game.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

I haven't been following the thread lately, but is anyone bitching about a day/night being in a paid expansion? I love Skylines, but if Maxis were to have done that with SimCity, there would've been pitch forks at their office doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Orgophlax posted:

I haven't been following the thread lately, but is anyone bitching about a day/night being in a paid expansion? I love Skylines, but if Maxis were to have done that with SimCity, there would've been pitch forks at their office doors.

Day and night cycle is free, the rest of the stuff that goes with it (the new districts and stuff) is part of the DLC.