Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

anthonypants posted:

Do people actually believe this?

No, most of us understand they're in Humboldt/Mendocino county.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Drunk Tomato posted:

Smart people hate the 99 tunnel because it's putting a germ-infested bandaid on an infected wound. The viaduct was a horrible monster that should never have been built so its good that it's coming down, but 99 should have stayed as a surface level street. Look up the concept of induced demand; the tunnel is only going to make congestion worse. It's a huge waste of money.

We could have spent all that money on subway tunnels, which I think would have really overwhelming support. The people in charge of the light rail construction really know what they are doing (tooting my own horn here), so we could use a lot of the same principles for designing the subway system. The geography of Seattle and its Urban Villages makes a municipal subway system an incredibly useful and efficient way to move people around. It would be cost effective, we could remove unnecessary roads, and a whole lot more small businesses, restaurants, and shops would thrive.

They better approve it reaching everett this time.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Baronjutter posted:

It's extremely stupid urban design to have people living on one side of the city and working on the other and driving through the core. The core of a city should always be a final destination, not something you pass through on your commute. Put in good transit and just let the horrible traffic slowly force idiots who live on the wrong side of town re-locate closer. At the same time encourage land-use policies that help create the needed housing on the "right" side of the city. The only things moving north/south through the city should be trucks and deliveries, not commuters in cars.

Or the fact that most folks change jobs every few years.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

ElCondemn posted:

I think the updates to the waterfront will be worthwhile, getting rid of the viaduct is a solid decision. The tunnel I think is a good idea regardless of all the problems. Right now there are only two ways to get past downtown, I5 and 99, and both of those are congested with people trying to get into or out of downtown. I think having a dedicated tunnel for bypassing downtown (and not emptying into downtown) will result in less congestion, at least for those looking to pass through on their commute. I don't think there's a better option than the tunnel, the viaduct should be torn down and there needs to be more than one way to get through the city, this seems like the only option to me.

The major flaw in your thinking is that neither the Viaduct nor I5 are bypasses of downtown; they are arterials with multiple entrances and exits along the way. Replacing one half of the major arterial with a tolled bypass tunnel system is a poo poo concept and would never happened has Paul Allen not owned the land adjacent to both sides of the tunnel.

Split-grade transit- a major part of the Seattle Subway campaign- was always the solution, yet they're currently tilting at windmills trying to insert delays into the ST3 from getting to commuter communities in order to demand it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Gerund posted:

The major flaw in your thinking is that neither the Viaduct nor I5 are bypasses of downtown; they are arterials with multiple entrances and exits along the way. Replacing one half of the major arterial with a tolled bypass tunnel system is a poo poo concept and would never happened has Paul Allen not owned the land adjacent to both sides of the tunnel.

They're tearing down the viaduct regardless of whether the tunnel gets built or not, it has to come down due to structural concerns. The tunnel isn't a replacement for the viaduct, it's a bypass. Like I said, I think there needs to be more paths to get through the city quickly, since that appears to be what the viaduct is mostly used for (with the added congestion of people trying to get into downtown too) I think the tunnel will solve that problem.

I don't see what the major flaw is in my thinking, the options are either no viaduct and no tunnel or no viaduct and a tunnel. I think removing one of the two paths through the city will make things worse if there is no alternate route added. The only other path to bypass downtown is a long trip across 90 to 405 and then over 520, but that still wouldn't allow you to bypass the traffic heading into downtown.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 11, 2015

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

ElCondemn posted:

They're tearing down the viaduct regardless of whether the tunnel gets built or not, it has to come down due to structural concerns. The tunnel isn't a replacement for the viaduct, it's a bypass. Like I said, I think there needs to be more paths to get through the city quickly, since that appears to be what the viaduct is mostly used for (with the added congestion of people trying to get into downtown too) I think the tunnel will solve that problem.

I don't see what the major flaw is in my thinking, the options are either no viaduct and no tunnel or no viaduct and a tunnel. I think removing one of the two paths through the city will make things worse if there is no alternate route added. The only other path to bypass downtown is a long trip across 90 to 405 and then over 520, but that still wouldn't allow you to bypass the traffic heading into downtown.

I disagree that we need a bypass road through a major city at all. Having a through road increases congestion in the city without increasing economic activity; basically the city takes on high congestion and high financial burdens from road construction and maintenance for the benefit of truckers and the relatively few people that need to go from south to north, or vice versa. It's a poor investment of tax dollars.

Plus the bypass will encourage more people to move to unsustainable places and take on longer driving distances where Seattle is only an obstacle and not a destination. Like I said earlier, in practically no time at all the tunnel is going to be backed up the entire way.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Drunk Tomato posted:

I disagree that we need a bypass road through a major city at all. Having a through road increases congestion in the city without increasing economic activity; basically the city takes on high congestion and high financial burdens from road construction and maintenance for the benefit of truckers and the relatively few people that need to go from south to north, or vice versa. It's a poor investment of tax dollars.

Plus the bypass will encourage more people to move to unsustainable places and take on longer driving distances where Seattle is only an obstacle and not a destination. Like I said earlier, in practically no time at all the tunnel is going to be backed up the entire way.

Fair enough, I just don't see how removing the viaduct and offering no alternate path will reduce congestion... how does that make our current problem better?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

ElCondemn posted:

Fair enough, I just don't see how removing the viaduct and offering no alternate path will reduce congestion... how does that make our current problem better?
The idea would probably be to take that money and spend it on transit instead.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Cicero posted:

The idea would probably be to take that money and spend it on transit instead.

Was there an alternate proposal that we all voted against? As far as I can tell all the transit stuff that was being proposed is being funded in addition to the tunnel, did they cancel/prohibit something in favor of the tunnel?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

ElCondemn posted:

Was there an alternate proposal that we all voted against? As far as I can tell all the transit stuff that was being proposed is being funded in addition to the tunnel, did they cancel/prohibit something in favor of the tunnel?
No, I just meant that's probably what some people like Drunk Tomato (and myself) would've preferred.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Cicero posted:

No, I just meant that's probably what some people like Drunk Tomato (and myself) would've preferred.

I'm all for expanding transit for the city and surrounding areas, I just don't see why the tunnel is a detriment or excludes expansion in other areas.

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope

ElCondemn posted:

There was an alternative proposal to spend the tunnel money on transit. It had projected traffic outcomes that were as good or better than the tunnel, but with far less risk.

If you want more info, dig though The Stranger's archives.

e:

'Stop the Insanity' by Dominic Holden, The Stranger posted:

The city hired consultant Nelson\Nygaard in 2008 to explore maximizing surface streets, optimizing lanes on I-5, and improving certain transit corridors through downtown. It concluded that it would cost $3.3 billion—almost a billion dollars less than the tunnel project—and would performs as well as, and in some cases better than, the tunnel.

The most compelling evidence for I-5/surface/transit is buried in the state's own SDEIS. In an appendix of a transportation discipline report, WSDOT cites the miles of travel, hours of travel, and hours of delay that would exist if we built the I-5/surface/transit option. ...

The data shows surface/transit performing slightly better in the downtown system overall, with fewer miles traveled, fewer hours traveled, and less delay. Specifically, hours of delay would drop from 37,500 hours with a tolled tunnel program to 36,700 hours with a surface option. Hours of overall travel drop from 106,600 to 103,600, and miles traveled drops from 2.5 million to 2.4 million.

Granted, these aren't huge differences. But this data proves something very important: The much more expensive tunnel doesn't perform any better than I-5/surface/transit.

========================================================================

ElCondemn posted:

I'm all for expanding transit for the city and surrounding areas, I just don't see why the tunnel is a detriment or excludes expansion in other areas.

The tunnel excludes expansion of transit because the tunnel and transit both need money, but we do not have unlimited money.

bartkusa fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 12, 2015

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

bartkusa posted:

There was an alternative proposal to spend the tunnel money on transit. It had projected traffic outcomes that were as good or better than the tunnel, but with far less risk.

If you want more info, dig though The Stranger's archives.

The alternative proposals I saw were to do a tunnel hybrid with 4 lanes or to just build a safer elevated highway, I don't remember any part of those proposals that would improve transit (trains, buses, subway, etc.). Also one benefit of the tunnel that I appreciate will be the improved view and utility of the waterfront.

bartkusa posted:

The tunnel excludes expansion of transit because the tunnel and transit both need money, but we do not have unlimited money.

Certainly, I just don't think there was an option to either make the tunnel or <something better>, otherwise I would be up in arms over the better solution not being picked.

edit:

I think the conclusion is fair, the more expensive tunnel doesn't necessarily perform better. But I still think it's a less attractive option removing one of the two main arteries through the city.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 12, 2015

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I'm not quite sure if I understand how permanently burying a huge tunnel boring machine underneath the middle of downtown is supposed to help traffic congestion.

I guess I'm not enough of a dreamer :ohdear:

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Delta-Wye posted:

I'm not quite sure if I understand how permanently burying a huge tunnel boring machine underneath the middle of downtown is supposed to help traffic congestion.

I guess I'm not enough of a dreamer :ohdear:

by funneling enough money into the pockets of those who greenlit the project to allow them to move into nicer houses where they don't have to worry about traffic

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I still thought that the Chopway was a pretty neat idea. I have no idea if it would have improved traffic in any way, but having a huge, elevated park right on the waterfront would have been rather nifty.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Some of the other proposals for the viaduct replacement were pretty badass. Like, one that would straight up turn the road into a sweet park for the waterfront, or a really cool looking bridge that wouldn't crumble in a few years:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
^I wanted that waterfront park so bad, so we could have some of the coolness of portland.

ElCondemn posted:

There were proposals to spend the money on transit but the city council overrode our cool bike-riding mayor because they're shitheads bribed by businesses.

There have been actual studies showing that the tunnel will make things worse, the only reason it's still being built is because of payola to steal taxpayer money. Leave Bertha buried and toss in the pro-business councilmen and the new mayor in the hole with it.

efb

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

It simply CANNOT be overstated how the Seattle Council elections are driven by a Tunnel-hating "throw the bums out" mindset. The tunnel is and was always the worst possible option which includes letting the Viaduct collapse during rush-hour- because that would at least be budget-neutral and not involve a billion dollars being tied up in Bertha-matics.

The tunnel solves nothing and portraying it as "just as good" as a major arterial betrays an ignorant point of view.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
The problem with the tunnel and Seattle city politics is and always has been that SR 99 is not a city road - it is a state highway, and the state gets to decide what happens. And even if the City Council had all been on board with McGinn and killing the tunnel, it wouldn't have mattered, because the state was never even considering the possibility of not replacing the viaduct with something big. The state always wanted to build either a viaduct replacement, a cut-and-cover tunnel, or a deep bore tunnel. Surface/transit was never even considered at the state level.

Anti-tunnel people (of which I am one) screwed up when we focused all of our efforts at Seattle city government, because the project wasn't the responsibility of Seattle city government! We even got a mayor elected on an anti-tunnel platform, and guess what, it didn't matter. Not because the Seattle city council was so bad, but because the state is what mattered, and we never fought at that level.

So everyone saying how arglebargle angry they are (I too am not happy about it) at the pro-tunnel Seattle city council doesn't get it - the city council didn't make the tunnel happen, the state did. The city has a permitting role to play, but the city was NEVER going to have the opportunity to decide what happened with the SR 99 corridor. It was Gregoire and the state, and we never had our eye on the ball, and to judge from these posts many people still don't.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
Why don't you pose this question to the ask tell traffic engineer thread?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

gohuskies posted:

The problem with the tunnel and Seattle city politics is and always has been that SR 99 is not a city road - it is a state highway, and the state gets to decide what happens. And even if the City Council had all been on board with McGinn and killing the tunnel, it wouldn't have mattered, because the state was never even considering the possibility of not replacing the viaduct with something big. The state always wanted to build either a viaduct replacement, a cut-and-cover tunnel, or a deep bore tunnel. Surface/transit was never even considered at the state level.

Anti-tunnel people (of which I am one) screwed up when we focused all of our efforts at Seattle city government, because the project wasn't the responsibility of Seattle city government! We even got a mayor elected on an anti-tunnel platform, and guess what, it didn't matter. Not because the Seattle city council was so bad, but because the state is what mattered, and we never fought at that level.

So everyone saying how arglebargle angry they are (I too am not happy about it) at the pro-tunnel Seattle city council doesn't get it - the city council didn't make the tunnel happen, the state did. The city has a permitting role to play, but the city was NEVER going to have the opportunity to decide what happened with the SR 99 corridor. It was Gregoire and the state, and we never had our eye on the ball, and to judge from these posts many people still don't.

Exactly this. Lol if you think the state was going to eliminate one of the two major routes through Seattle.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i mean, if you really think about it, seattle should just ban all privately-owned automobiles, sooooooo

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i mean, if you really think about it, seattle should just ban all privately-owned automobiles, sooooooo

Actually I don't even have to think hard at all to come to this conclusion

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Or at least charge a day-use tax like London does, for anyone coming through via any of the highways or roads.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

So that everyone who is priced out of living in Seattle can never visit?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Solkanar512 posted:

So that everyone who is priced out of living in Seattle can never visit?

Shh, you'll make the car-less majority here get mad at you if you say that their ideas do more to punish the poor than to actually help with transit solutions.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Mrit posted:

Shh, you'll make the car-less majority here get mad at you if you say that their ideas do more to punish the poor than to actually help with transit solutions.
I doubt the majority here is actually car-less. You can be in favor of a multi-modal transportation system even if you own a car.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Log flumes. Let's build a giant network of log flumes to take you anywhere in the city. They'll start from the hills and flow down into the core of the city. Viva Cascadia!

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

mod sassinator posted:

Log flumes. Let's build a giant network of log flumes to take you anywhere in the city. They'll start from the hills and flow down into the core of the city. Viva Cascadia!

Representatives from Enchanted Forest have the same old answer to everything.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Cicero posted:

I doubt the majority here is actually car-less. You can be in favor of a multi-modal transportation system even if you own a car.

This. I'm hella pro mass transit and bike lanes and pedestrian improvements but I still own a car. It just only gets used for long drives or errands.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Cicero posted:

Most certainly. More people riding buses means fewer assholes violating the left lane laws.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Solkanar512 posted:

Most certainly. More people riding buses means fewer assholes violating the left lane laws.
http://www.theonion.com/article/report-98-percent-of-us-commuters-favor-public-tra-1434

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

The city of Seattle has done a remarkable job already of making its feel hostile to drivers. Seattle really wants you to come into town and create economic activity but it doesn't want you to live there or commute into the city to do so.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

RuanGacho posted:

The city of Seattle has done a remarkable job already of making its feel hostile to drivers. Seattle really wants you to come into town and create economic activity but it doesn't want you to live there or commute into the city to do so.

Is this a real opinion a (presumably) non senior citizen has?

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Drunk Tomato posted:

Yes, watching the city ignore or destroy any proposal that wasn't a variation of "busses will fix it :downs:" with regards to connectivity to the rest of the region for the past 20 years has left me rather cynical about Seattle residents ability to grasp what a mess there is regionally with transportation.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Drunk Tomato posted:

I think they just copied it off a king5 comment board because that's the only people who have those opinions.

Especially when you consider how hard the city and whole area are going for ST3. It's only those assholes in the middle of nowhere who are anti mass transit.

Also parking downtown is easy as gently caress. I drive downtown once in a blue moon and I never have a problem.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
To get from HecEd to the Mercer St/i5 onramp via Eastlake took me an hour at 3pm last month. gently caress that new interchange, Eastlake is ruined now, used to be my shortcut.

Also if people really want a bypass that avoids Seattle exits, take 405 (joking, obv, since 405 is even worse most of the time, thanks to lovely underfunded transit).

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

RuanGacho posted:

What do you mean by hostile to drivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Tigntink posted:

I think they just copied it off a king5 comment board because that's the only people who have those opinions.

Traffic is the favorite thing to bitch about no matter what size city you're talking about but its not traffic I find issue with in Seattle city policy, its that when I attempted to conduct business that had products too bulky to put on a bike I have to deal with a lot more complications with conducting business because they don't want cars in Seattle.

E: It could be better now since the last time I tried to conduct business downtown and around the greater area was going on 6 years now but...

• Locked thread