Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I just assumed all that prpgramming language poo poo was some STEM grad code for their RaHoWa strategy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Next you're going to tell me he didn't tragically die by falling out of the Dark Enlightenment blimp.

When the bomb drops, there'll be nothing left except neoreactionaries. (And goths. And neoreactionaries in black.)

Wapole Languray posted:

Basically Moldbug and his ilk have some sort of fetish for making really user-unfriendly programming language that has really unintuitive syntax. Pretty much they create intentionally hard to read code so they can smug about how much smarter they are than everyone else even though one of the highest goals of good programming is to be as clear and easily readable as possible.

Basically they want computer science to be like the Bible during the Middle Ages. IE only intelligible to a select group of privileged white nerds who know not the touch of woman. Moldbug wants to be the Athiest equivalent of the Pope with programming as his holy text.

Everyone who's looked at Urbit acknowledges it's "interesting", in the technologist sense of "what the hell even is that" or "I ain't even mad, that's amazing."

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I just assumed all that prpgramming language poo poo was some STEM grad code for their RaHoWa strategy.

Moldbug does in fact envision the Great Urbit Future as encoding his ideas on how society should work.

The Urbit security document is amazing. Around one-third of the way down, you can actually see Yarvin transmute into Moldbug as he hypothesises people behaving on his network in a manner utterly unlike any human anywhere has ever behaved, and particularly on the Internet. As if the very first thing the alt-right channers wouldn't do on his exciting new network is troll the gently caress out of anyone and anything they can.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

divabot posted:

Everyone who's looked at Urbit acknowledges it's "interesting", in the technologist sense of "what the hell even is that" or "I ain't even mad, that's amazing."

Most people give up 15 minutes in when they are still trying to get a handle on the source code. Which, I think, is the point. Hoon is a really lovely lisp with an incredibly primitive interpreter. Arvo is a client for an inefficient DHT with a 1980s era data model and no security model at all. Anything you write to it is readable by anyone. There's no way to do encryption without going out of band. There's nothing new about it at all except for perhaps the amount of effort put into hiding how pedestrian it is.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

the talent deficit posted:

Most people give up 15 minutes in when they are still trying to get a handle on the source code. Which, I think, is the point. Hoon is a really lovely lisp with an incredibly primitive interpreter. Arvo is a client for an inefficient DHT with a 1980s era data model and no security model at all. Anything you write to it is readable by anyone. There's no way to do encryption without going out of band. There's nothing new about it at all except for perhaps the amount of effort put into hiding how pedestrian it is.

The really interesting part is that (a) it's prima facie evidence there is such a thing as too much Borges (b) he literally thinks his "pronounceable" babby talk for the code is fabulously easy and mnemonic for anyone on earth who isn't Curtis Yarvin. (b) is what demonstrates that, truly, Urbit is art: an expression of a deep and personal viewpoint. From the bowels of post-libertarian madness, but nevertheless.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

the talent deficit posted:

Most people give up 15 minutes in when they are still trying to get a handle on the source code. Which, I think, is the point. Hoon is a really lovely lisp with an incredibly primitive interpreter.

My favorite bit from a couple minutes of skimming one of the design docs in that repository, while finding a suitably insane bit of source to link to ("finding" means linking the first .hoon i found): Apparently the Moldbug answer to "Hey, this primitive interpreter means high performance will be a completely foreign concept to your system" is to write all your code twice, once in hoon and once in C. Brilliant! Why not just skip the hoon? (oh, because it's a "specification language" for C. Sure, Moldbug. Maybe for IOCC-grade C...)

Another bit of hilarity: Clarkhat discovers Nhoorbit. Realizes it is crap. Immediately turns on a dime because, well, Mencius Moldbug is by definition BRILLIANT, and goes through some amazing mental gymnastics to reverse the simple common sense at the top of his own drat blogpost so that by the end he's praising nock/hoon/urbit as being the paradigm for a new era.

Really, you couldn't ask for a better demonstration that neoreactionaries haven't seen the world outside their anuses in years.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

I know this is a stupid question, but why can't these dudes realize that because they're smart at one thing doesn't mean they're smart at everything?

A lot of these guys aren't good writers per say but they have the knack. They can communicate, they have a smattering of wit. they aren't hopeless cases. they don't have to be the way they are, and I doubt it makes them happy. Why can't they just accept their personal limitation?

I guess the answer is there already. They're damaged egos who are perceptive enough to recognize that they aren't ungifted but think a gift is a universal thing.

Poor sad bastards.

Really relaly relaly dumb question, but are there any women at all that play a major role in the movement? Even the worst reactionary groups tend to have a few ladies on hand to make them seem like they have SOME cross-gender legitimacy. You can find plenty of anti-feminist women around, but are any of them in the Dark Enlightenment? Or does one pop up once in a while and get alienated by their insults or put off by their attempts to dogpile each other to get that Reactionary Pusspuss?

It'd be pretty impressive in a poo poo way if they managed to be the only bunch of turdkings who can't even get one misanthropic lady to join their ranks.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

divabot posted:

The really interesting part is that (a) it's prima facie evidence there is such a thing as too much Borges

There is no way this is true.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Merdifex posted:

That explains the terminology, but not the context in which it is being used. Or not in a way clear to me, anyway.
Well the context is that of a person who 1. is racist, 2. in a weird way. Like, your average person, they see a black guy and they think, "oh hey there's some dude", or maybe "oh hey there's a black dude", or maybe, if they're racist, "oh poo poo a black dude, he's gonna steal my stuff". These people, they see a black guy and they seemingly think: "oh hey, there's a black dude, I hope his massive, magnificent black organ is not going to impregnate my race's pure women, or at least not while I'm not watching".

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

divabot posted:

The really interesting part is that (a) it's prima facie evidence there is such a thing as too much Borges (b) he literally thinks his "pronounceable" babby talk for the code is fabulously easy and mnemonic for anyone on earth who isn't Curtis Yarvin. (b) is what demonstrates that, truly, Urbit is art: an expression of a deep and personal viewpoint. From the bowels of post-libertarian madness, but nevertheless.
I'm extremely fascinated by Urbit. (I have no CS background.)

How is it that there's actually people out there who somehow interpret it as anything else than the programming language equivalent of timecube?

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Really relaly relaly dumb question, but are there any women at all that play a major role in the movement? Even the worst reactionary groups tend to have a few ladies on hand to make them seem like they have SOME cross-gender legitimacy. You can find plenty of anti-feminist women around, but are any of them in the Dark Enlightenment? Or does one pop up once in a while and get alienated by their insults or put off by their attempts to dogpile each other to get that Reactionary Pusspuss?
HBDchick is about as NRx as it goes I guess.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

I can't remember where I read it, but supposedly the inspiration for the orcs was watching coal miners come up out of the ground, which is why they're twisted version of humans perverted by Sauron. The dwarves are explicitly Jews though, that is how Tolkien though of them, as good people who were a little too covetous and good at making things.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Cingulate posted:

I'm extremely fascinated by Urbit. (I have no CS background.)

How is it that there's actually people out there who somehow interpret it as anything else than the programming language equivalent of timecube?
HBDchick is about as NRx as it goes I guess.

HBD Chick is the best, because she's responded to being a woman in an environment surrounded by men who are terrified of women by being the most over the top manic pixie nazi dream girl ever.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

HBD Chick is the best, because she's responded to being a woman in an environment surrounded by men who are terrified of women by being the most over the top manic pixie nazi dream girl ever.

Reading that phrase made me vomit blood. :barf:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

BobHoward posted:

Another bit of hilarity: Clarkhat discovers Nhoorbit. Realizes it is crap. Immediately turns on a dime because, well, Mencius Moldbug is by definition BRILLIANT, and goes through some amazing mental gymnastics to reverse the simple common sense at the top of his own drat blogpost so that by the end he's praising nock/hoon/urbit as being the paradigm for a new era.

Goddamn, that's more eyebleeding than the original Urbit docs. And after Clark summarised Urbit so well in that second paragraph.

I'm sure Ken let Clark onto his blog because despite everything else about him Clark is really a first-rate First Amendment lawyer, and that one day there will be evidence of this.

Cingulate posted:

Coming up with your own basic computational primitives is not intrinsically complicated, just after Turing machines and Lisp nobody much cares. But attempts are often interesting, though not usually useful. It's a variant on the pastime of inventing your own computer language and putting off people who ask awkward questions like "but does it do anything anyone cares about" (to which the answer is "no").

Robotnik Nudes posted:

It'd be pretty impressive in a poo poo way if they managed to be the only bunch of turdkings who can't even get one misanthropic lady to join their ranks.

The neoreactionaries actively drove women off LessWrong as hard as possible. See this series of posts from late 2012 and early 2013, in which aspiring rationalist women say "guys, there's a problem here, you're acting like stereotypical neckbeard loving creeps", and the comment responses. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Note how they all come up with the author as "[deleted]" - this is because the author, Daenerys, was so disgusted with LW after this that she deleted her account. The comments there are loaded with neoreactionary gold, as well as plain old geek misogyny.

:golfclap:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Wapole Languray posted:

Basically Moldbug and his ilk have some sort of fetish for making really user-unfriendly programming language that has really unintuitive syntax. Pretty much they create intentionally hard to read code so they can smug about how much smarter they are than everyone else even though one of the highest goals of good programming is to be as clear and easily readable as possible.

Basically they want computer science to be like the Bible during the Middle Ages. IE only intelligible to a select group of privileged white nerds who know not the touch of woman. Moldbug wants to be the Athiest equivalent of the Pope with programming as his holy text.

They won't have computers or any other advanced technologies for very long with a society like that.

Thermite
Aug 16, 2006

Huzzah!

Jesus christ, why do people like this loving exist?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I'm actually really upset because 'brony in memes' would be an amazing username. But that dude is probably 100% serious.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Wapole Languray posted:

That explanation actually makes a lot of sense to me.
However, somewhere in one of the pieces linked on this site, Moldbug says nice things about Python.

divabot posted:

Goddamn, that's more eyebleeding than the original Urbit docs. And after Clark summarised Urbit so well in that second paragraph.

I'm sure Ken let Clark onto his blog because despite everything else about him Clark is really a first-rate First Amendment lawyer, and that one day there will be evidence of this.

Coming up with your own basic computational primitives is not intrinsically complicated, just after Turing machines and Lisp nobody much cares. But attempts are often interesting, though not usually useful. It's a variant on the pastime of inventing your own computer language and putting off people who ask awkward questions like "but does it do anything anyone cares about" (to which the answer is "no").

The neoreactionaries actively drove women off LessWrong as hard as possible. See this series of posts from late 2012 and early 2013, in which aspiring rationalist women say "guys, there's a problem here, you're acting like stereotypical neckbeard loving creeps", and the comment responses. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. Note how they all come up with the author as "[deleted]" - this is because the author, Daenerys, was so disgusted with LW after this that she deleted her account. The comments there are loaded with neoreactionary gold, as well as plain old geek misogyny.

:golfclap:
I wonder if there is a difference between NRx people who're mostly about being contrarian, and those who hate black and poors and feminism even more than libertarians, but don't hate gays enough and don't love the church enough to be real conservatives.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

divabot posted:

welp he's right on top of the fact that the first amendment totally says that your right to free speech equates to the right to make everyone in society hear your speech

There was some incident where Clark said something horrible about depression/suicide while Ken was blogging about his struggles with same and Ken still defended Clark as a good friend with some warts. Not sure what Ken sees in him, everything I've seen from Clark has been unremittingly terrible and/or stupid.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

Jack Gladney posted:

White nationalists embrace Viking religion with Woden and poo poo. Why wouldn't they do the same with Tolkien, aside from few of them being literate enough to read at the necessary 8th-grade level?

You know I really hate that norse mythology is now irrevocably associated with neonazi fuckheads.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Ronwayne posted:

You know I really hate that norse mythology is now irrevocably associated with neonazi fuckheads.

I know Asatru neopagans and there's little that pisses them off more.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So there is a ... reactionary Github?

https://gitgud.io/explore

via
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150802/20330431831/github-nukes-repository-over-use-word-retard.shtml

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ronwayne posted:

So did Tolkien, though I guess at the time all the Nazis were Neo.

It is a little weird how this "cuckservative" business seems to be purely about sexual anxiety about black people. I can comprehend (not endorse mind you, nor agree) why these racist guys get worried that black people are going to kill them in revenge for historical slights and take their accumulated wealth. They would probably do the same in a reversed situation. It is this paralysing terror that they're BREEDING TOO MUCH, or MOLESTING WHITE WOMEN, though, which seems to have been chronic throughout American history. Do these guys at least comprehend that they're the latest in a horrible psychosexual fear pattern?

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Nessus posted:

So did Tolkien, though I guess at the time all the Nazis were Neo.

It is a little weird how this "cuckservative" business seems to be purely about sexual anxiety about black people. I can comprehend (not endorse mind you, nor agree) why these racist guys get worried that black people are going to kill them in revenge for historical slights and take their accumulated wealth. They would probably do the same in a reversed situation. It is this paralysing terror that they're BREEDING TOO MUCH, or MOLESTING WHITE WOMEN, though, which seems to have been chronic throughout American history. Do these guys at least comprehend that they're the latest in a horrible psychosexual fear pattern?

Neoreaction requires ignorance of history, and often even the active denial of it. So no.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Cingulate posted:

So there is a ... reactionary Github?

It's the gamergate github after they got booted off every other github equivalent

It probably barely works

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Thermite posted:

Jesus christ, why do people like this loving exist?

Pretty easy to afford the sex you have when you're a brony.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Really relaly relaly dumb question, but are there any women at all that play a major role in the movement?

Sarah on twitter probably fills that role.

--------

Merdifex has a new favorite as of 20:42 on Aug 11, 2015

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Merdifex posted:

Sarah on twitter probably fills that role.

--------

She's the antinatalist who has two separate twitter accounts, one for antinatalists, and one for facists.

Nick Land used to do that too.

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

Curvature of Earth posted:

Neoreaction requires ignorance of history, and often even the active denial of it. So no.

Neoreaction requires a specific interpretation of history, as do all political ideologies. Neoreaction just has to have an exceptionally stupid interpretation.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

Mineaiki posted:

Neoreaction requires a specific interpretation of history, as do all political ideologies. Neoreaction just has to have an exceptionally stupid interpretation.

True. I guess I just get the impression that neoreactionaries run entirely off vague memories of history reports they did in middle school. It feels to me like, say, while Austrian Schoolers engage in blatant cherry-picking of history to support their theories, neoreactionaries mostly gesture vaguely at the cherry tree and lazily assume that every cherry on it supports their case.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle
There's also Justine Tunney too

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Pope Guilty posted:

I know Asatru neopagans and there's little that pisses them off more.

I am told that if you want to learn Old English outside of university you basically have to deal with "Anglo-Saxon" nationalists whether you like it or not.

Curvature of Earth posted:

True. I guess I just get the impression that neoreactionaries run entirely off vague memories of history reports they did in middle school. It feels to me like, say, while Austrian Schoolers engage in blatant cherry-picking of history to support their theories, neoreactionaries mostly gesture vaguely at the cherry tree and lazily assume that every cherry on it supports their case.

Pretty much. If they are so foolish as to say something that actually constitutes a checkable claim, it's generally wrong or at best cherry-picked (Scott's Anti-Reactionary FAQ nails a lot of these).

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

There's also Justine Tunney too

Justine Tunney is some sort of performance artist, a singularity of technocrat awfulness.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
Scott reads a book recommended to him by Moldbug.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I feel that if somebody told Scott "ur such a douche lol" on twitter on a bad day, we'd get a 15 page opus that includes many many statistics about insults and feminine hygene, and would end in a long rant about how feminists who use douche as an insult are actually part of a deeply evil plan to harass and abuse people with that not so fresh feeling.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

I feel that if somebody told Scott "ur such a douche lol" on twitter on a bad day, we'd get a 15 page opus that includes many many statistics about insults and feminine hygene, and would end in a long rant about how feminists who use douche as an insult are actually part of a deeply evil plan to harass and abuse people with that not so fresh feeling.
On the other hand - that's one of the least bad things that has ever come out of the reaction, or, in fact, anything ever.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Douche is a great insult because it's like the of only a very few well-known generic terms of abuse that punches up.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Merdifex posted:

Scott reads a book recommended to him by Moldbug.

That's actually a pretty fun review. Give Scott a subject where he doesn't feel a deep and terrible obligation to construct deep thoughts for us his dear readers and the result can be okay.

Although you know who he's talking about when he says "I write sometimes about how beliefs that we consider abominable can sometimes be therapeutic mental crutches for people with the right cast of mind." And of course once he's finished recounting the book, he goes off into attempting to construct deep thoughts about how we have to protect the "contrarians" (by which I'm sure he doesn't mean neoreactionaries of course) from our generation's Stalins (by which I'm sure he doesn't mean feminists and SJWs of course) and it turns into another Scott post. Oh well.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

divabot posted:

That's actually a pretty fun review. Give Scott a subject where he doesn't feel a deep and terrible obligation to construct deep thoughts for us his dear readers and the result can be okay.

Although you know who he's talking about when he says "I write sometimes about how beliefs that we consider abominable can sometimes be therapeutic mental crutches for people with the right cast of mind." And of course once he's finished recounting the book, he goes off into attempting to construct deep thoughts about how we have to protect the "contrarians" (by which I'm sure he doesn't mean neoreactionaries of course) from our generation's Stalins (by which I'm sure he doesn't mean feminists and SJWs of course) and it turns into another Scott post. Oh well.
Where "tuns into another Scott post" means "spends a few paragraphs pointing out how Tumblr Feminism is basically a lot like Stalinism. Literally.".

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What if tumblrites just pretend to be stalinists to hide their deep meta-level insights from people who are too stupid to use them properly

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

What if tumblrites just pretend to be stalinists to hide their deep meta-level insights from people who are too stupid to use them properly

Just like how NRx just pretend to be racists and sexists to hide their hard gained insights stemming from long-running meta-level discourse. Those insights being that racism and sexism are good and correct, and that the cathedral makes people think otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Merdifex posted:

Just like how NRx just pretend to be racists and sexists to hide their hard gained insights stemming from long-running meta-level discourse. Those insights being that racism and sexism are good and correct, and that the cathedral makes people think otherwise.

Yes, exactly like that.

It goes both ways Scott!