Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
To be honest the idea that it's financially irresponsible is definitely not true at this point if a person is moderately spent affluent and determined. It's practically charitable, frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

It would be more charitable to donate that money to a charity than to put people's lives (including your own) on the line for bragging rights.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Yes that's true but we're not talking about what the most charitable thing he can do is, we're talking about whether it's selfish and wasteful to spend money to summit Everest, or if it's just dumb. The guy is planning to do Everest so I mean other uses of that money are irrelevant, there are a million things someone could do with money etc.

If rich people want to climb Everest now is a good time to do that thing for helping Nepal is all I'm saying

Edit: watch him try the Tibetan side :negative:

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo

The Light Eternal posted:

Lmao this will probably end like the goon who tried to walk across the US

A reminder that the walkgoon is in this thread. I have no idea how it ended because I haven't read much past the OP at this point, but thanks for making me remember this exists! That thread title is pretty special :allears:

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
wrong thread sorry

xie fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Aug 10, 2015

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

xie posted:

wrong thread sorry

Make up for it by going on a dig :colbert:

Nice to see this thread again, I'm reading The White Spider at the moment, about the North Face of the Eiger. Very very good, and it is interesting reading stuff from the Sixties, the attitudes and culture around mountain climbing doesn't really seemed to have changed that much.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

LOL now list all the completely in shape people who loving died. Go on, do it Reddit Man.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The Light Eternal posted:

Lmao this will probably end like the goon who tried to walk across the US

how did that end?

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Kurtofan posted:

how did that end?

Three days and an Uber taxi home.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3714480&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

That thread was amazing. I was so glad to see that unfold over real time.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

thank you for sharing this

Casio_knight
Jul 26, 2015

i feel bad for this family but they should read this thread

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11494553

why did you not pick up bits of my family on k2 this is bullshit you could have carryied an arm or something

you didn't even dig a grave in the rock at high altitude you weak pussy i know you have a shovel in your pack

Casio_knight fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Aug 11, 2015

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Casio_knight posted:

i feel bad for this family but they should read this thread

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11494553

why did you not pick up bits of my family on k2 this is bullshit you could have carryied an arm or something

you didn't even dig a grave in the rock at high altitude you weak pussy i know you have a shovel in your pack

The implication is that the remains have been washed down the mountain almost to base camp, so it's not like some bodies hanging off a dangerous death precipice. But even if it is the case that the bodies as too dangerous to risk retrieving, the guy posting the video is obviously an unapologetic douche.

1) Posts video of corpses speculating that it's these recently dead climbers, and doesn't even bother to inform their family (wtf).

2) Sounds like a pretentious shithead:

"Being accused of being disrespectful towards the dead and their families is, of course, a matter of opinion," he wrote.

"However, I do apologise if I have offended anyone who lost loved ones and do not see life, and death, in the same way I do."

Yeah I see death differently I guess :smuggo:

"not my intent to offend - only to inspire" - let me take some inspiring videos of some mangled corpses lmao, how inspiring, so deep, gosh how insignificant we are, nature is awesome, respect da mountain

Casio_knight
Jul 26, 2015

but thats how they're meant to act i thought

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
There are a lot of pictures of dead bodies linked to in this thread.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Some photoshops as well

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Most of the pictures of dead people on Everest are not particularly graphic, or have been dead for decades. Any photoshops are after the fact and fine, whatever. Not particularly tasteful though.

Dead people are a pretty potent warning and at least useful in that regard, but there's a difference between a distant photograph published with your consent and finding a video of your recently deceased dead father/husband and brother/son, and getting a nice close up of their crushed and desiccated heads.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Jeza posted:

Most of the pictures of dead people on Everest are not particularly graphic

I dunno there's that one of the dude/lady sitting down with their head exposed and it's all skull and dead skin weathered away but their body is still just intact, that's pretty graphic and no one seems to mind that that's all over the internet.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

I'm sure not all photos of corpses on Everest are consented to. There's probably been cases like this before, and will be again, but I'll stick to my guns here: the classy thing to do if you discover human remains and you can't retrieve them is to document them, then contact the people you believe they are related to and ask whether they want to see them, or would consent to have them published.

This is especially true when you have 110,000 likes on your Facebook page, and you know whatever you publish is going viral. Specifically not publishing it in full graphic detail because you are some kind of new age kook who believes in spirits and other garbage, and insist on putting your views on display to educate people.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Look at these corpsicles I found #JustMountainThings

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
If you're tacky enough to leave your nasty corpse just laying around that you don't really get to complain when people take pictures of you while on vacation.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Which way to Stalingrad comrade?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jeza posted:

"However, I do apologise if I have offended anyone who lost loved ones and do not see life, and death, in the same way I do."

Yeah I see death differently I guess :smuggo:

That but unironically. These people do walk past corpses all day on Everest and while K2 isn't the same outwardly visible body pile (thanks, avalanches,) it still has a bunch of human remains in the vicinity.

Anyways, since Everest is shut down for the year, do we have a winner for the death pool?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Jeza posted:

What is this from? How did the guy end up like that?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Judging by the Stalingrad comment its from World War II.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

That but unironically. These people do walk past corpses all day on Everest and while K2 isn't the same outwardly visible body pile (thanks, avalanches,) it still has a bunch of human remains in the vicinity.

Whether or not mountaineering automatically gives you some kind of stoic and spiritual acceptance of death, I was mostly objecting to the guy's grossly patronising non-apology.

Day Man posted:

What is this from? How did the guy end up like that?

From some point during winter of 1942 iirc. Russians took a frozen German corpse and stuck it upside down as a signpost. Not 100% where it is pointing to though, possibly Berlin, or maybe something more practical.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Jeza posted:

thats a cool way to die imo

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Jeza posted:

Looks like a stand up guy.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Horrible. Jokes like that will get the cold shoulder.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Jeza posted:

What's the color of boots on that one?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Pierogi posted:

What's the color of boots on that one?

lol just lol if u think the russkis didnt take his boots

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
UK goons, there is a programme on channel 4 tomorrow at 9pm about this year's Everest earthquake.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

So far I don't think they've interviewed a single local, just tourists and climbers.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.
2015 on Everest isn't over yet - sherpas are back up on Everest trying to rebuild the route through the Khumbu Icefall in time for the fall climbing season:

quote:

The Icefall Doctors, a team of Nepalese workers who set the ladders and fixed ropes through the Khumbu Icefall up to Everest’s Camp 1, arrived at Base Camp on Monday to begin repair work on the route, according to the Himalayan Times. The route was damaged in the April earthquake that struck Nepal and killed thousands of people in Kathmandu and the surrounding area. The Icefall Doctors are aiming to fix the route in time for the fall season.

Most climbers on Everest canceled their spring expeditions in the wake of the earthquake. But more than five climbing teams from the United States, Austria, Japan, Germany, and the UK applied for permits to climb peaks including Everest and Mount Manaslu this fall, a Nepali tourism official told the Himalayan Times. Two Japanese climbers plan to summit Everest before the end of the month.

“We plan to begin rope-fixing work in the treacherous icefall section after conducting a ground survey by next week,” Ang Kami Sherpa, the lead Icefall Doctor, told the Himalayan Times.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rondette posted:

Make up for it by going on a dig :colbert:

Nice to see this thread again, I'm reading The White Spider at the moment, about the North Face of the Eiger. Very very good, and it is interesting reading stuff from the Sixties, the attitudes and culture around mountain climbing doesn't really seemed to have changed that much.

The White Spider has; it's melting fast. :(

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

:siren: IT'S HAPPENING: EVEREST OFFICIALLY REOPENED :siren:

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/08/23/nepal-opens-everest-to-climbers-for-1st-time-since-avalanche/

quote:

Japanese climber Nobukazu Kuriki will be the first to attempt to scale the world's highest peak since the quake. Nepal's tourism minister, Kripasur Sherpa, gave Kuriki his climbing permit at a ceremony in Kathmandu on Sunday.

Kuriki plans to leave for the mountain on Tuesday by helicopter and then reach the summit in mid-September. The autumn season is considered a difficult time to attempt Everest and is generally avoided by climbers.

"The main purpose of my climb is to spread the message that Nepal was safe for climbers and trekkers even after the earthquake," Kuriki told reporters.

It will be Kuriki's fifth attempt at Everest. His four previous bids to reach the top of the 8,850-meter (29,035-foot) mountain were unsuccessful. In his last attempt, in 2012, he lost nine fingers to frostbite.
Say hello to (if my cynicism is correct) #20

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's fitting that the first one back is a guy who most likely will require a team of Sherpa to drag him up the mountain and pretty much do everything since he only has one finger. What the gently caress.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
I'm pretty sure that Nepal is going to to do everything in their power to get that fucker to the summit, because if he dies or fails to do so it will be a PR disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Anyone seen Meru yet? Is it any good?

• Locked thread