Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Played my first few games with help from Zalus. Have to say this is sooooo much better than tanks or planes.

Applied to the Seamn as Nastrado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Raged posted:

Played my first few games with help from Zalus. Have to say this is sooooo much better than tanks or planes.

Applied to the Seamn as Nastrado.

Yeah, until you're dealing with CVs, that is.

6 losses in a row at the start of tonight, 3 of them deaths to CVs within the first 5 minutes of the game.

In my DDs.

gently caress CVS FOREVERRRRRRRRRRR
ok back on track, holy poo poo is the stock Fuso hilariously bad. Fortunately I only needed 3k exp to match up with my free xp and get out of it, but goddamn. Goddamn. Its bad. Make sure you have 18k free xp when you're thinking about buying a Fuso. Goddamn.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

CitizenKain posted:

This explains a lot and is one of the problems I have with the game, they don't explain poo poo. Especially compared to how well they (eventually) got to describing tanks and giving out information.
Ships have a lot more going on with their armor and guns, and hidden mechanics like the ship taking less damage in some spots after awhile or torpedoes just do less damage because reasons. They need to expose armor values and ammunition penetration values again. This is particularly jarring when making the jump from the St Louis to the Phoenix.

I'm not sure the values will help that much, since you need full angle and impact velocity curves to figure out if you can penetrate in a ship. They have said they will add the info back in when they have an improved system for it, I don't know how it's shown in tanks because I never played it after the beta, but I'm guessing you'll be able to pick a firing ship and target ship and then see a big circle around the target showing the regions you can penetrate deck and belt armour from.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
When do US Battleships get to be less of a pain? I'm currently in the Wyoming after slogging through the South Carolina.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

The Wyoming is decent once you get it kitted out and have a couple of games under your belt. The New York is good bordering on great, the New Mexico is amazing, we don't talk about the colorado, the North carolina is great with the Iowa/Montana apparently being borderline OP

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wade Wilson posted:

When do US Battleships get to be less of a pain? I'm currently in the Wyoming after slogging through the South Carolina.

Right after the Wyoming :xd:

The Wyoming is pretty freakin awesome if you can get in close and brawl. New York is pretty good New Mexico has decently accurate guns and is all round great.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'm just getting a little weary of pubbies abandoning me as soon as the enemies are spotted (and enemy teams dogpiling on me as soon as I'm spotted; last match I played yesterday had 3 destroyers, 2 cruisers and another battleship firing on me at the same time while the cruisers and destroyers that were following me bugged the gently caress out and ran back to the other side of the map without firing a single shot at the enemy).

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Wade Wilson posted:

I'm just getting a little weary of pubbies abandoning me as soon as the enemies are spotted (and enemy teams dogpiling on me as soon as I'm spotted; last match I played yesterday had 3 destroyers, 2 cruisers and another battleship firing on me at the same time while the cruisers and destroyers that were following me bugged the gently caress out and ran back to the other side of the map without firing a single shot at the enemy).

Here's a tip, when you're heading in a direction with said pubbies expect that they will all short turn and you should follow suit ;).

I'll usually head in a direction and when I engage the enemy I start turning away but keep my guns trained on them. Usually end up doing figure 8s for the first couple of minutes in a match to see where the enemy is heading and what team pub does.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Wade Wilson posted:

I don't have to run faster than the bear, I just have to run faster than you.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

ranbo das posted:

The Wyoming is decent once you get it kitted out and have a couple of games under your belt. The New York is good bordering on great, the New Mexico is amazing, we don't talk about the colorado, the North carolina is great with the Iowa/Montana apparently being borderline OP

The only issue with the New York is that is it is at the maxim CV pain tier. It's own AA doesn't get poo poo done. Most tier 5 CA either don't have the AA to help, don't realize they need to help, or don't care. Add in the fact the IJN CV get 3 TB squads and it can get really ugly.

Also new trick for making a BB driver hate life. Two tier 5 IJN CV send their TB squads one at time on auto broadside attacks at one BB all game. They don't do any damage if your any good at being a BB, but you spend ever second of the game doing nothing by dodging torpedos.

Hagop fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 11, 2015

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Another useful forum post: http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/18094-matchmaker/

This is on how much you can be up-tiered by class.

Battleships can always get +3 up-tiered.

Cruisers and destroyers start +1, then +2 at T3, and +3 at T6. Another point against Mutsuki - the Minekaze can face T7 battles but Mutsuki can face T9.

Carriers start +1, then +2 at T6.

You can't get down-tiered in a division, but MM will use the highest maximum. So if a Hosho and a South Carolina division together, the South Carolina is actually going to get the Hosho up-tiered to T6 33% of the time when this wouldn't happen if the Hosho was solo. In fact the only bearable setup I can see for a division with a carrier is if the carrier is with only destroyers and cruisers that are one tier below. Anything else will screw over either the carrier or the other ships.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Whats that thing on the South Carolina uh tower thingy, looks like a clock :v:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
That is definitely a clock.

"Hey, South Carolina, what time is it?" :v:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Wade Wilson posted:

That is definitely a clock.

"Hey, South Carolina, what time is it?" :v:

It's a shot clock, used to communicate range information to ships in a battle line before the whole "reliable radio" thing. When you find the range, you set the hands to indicate the range (I don't recall the details but it was something like "one hand is hundreds of yards, one hand is thousands of yards"). Then each ship in front of/behind you can see it.

Max Manus
Oct 25, 2004

Saboteur par excellence.
Nap Ghost

Fizzil posted:

Whats that thing on the South Carolina uh tower thingy, looks like a clock :v:

Range Clock

A way to share range information between ships pre-radio days.

EDIT: Beaten :saddowns:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Scikar posted:

Another useful forum post: http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.php?/topic/18094-matchmaker/

This is on how much you can be up-tiered by class.

Battleships can always get +3 up-tiered.

Cruisers and destroyers start +1, then +2 at T3, and +3 at T6. Another point against Mutsuki - the Minekaze can face T7 battles but Mutsuki can face T9.

Carriers start +1, then +2 at T6.

You can't get down-tiered in a division, but MM will use the highest maximum. So if a Hosho and a South Carolina division together, the South Carolina is actually going to get the Hosho up-tiered to T6 33% of the time when this wouldn't happen if the Hosho was solo. In fact the only bearable setup I can see for a division with a carrier is if the carrier is with only destroyers and cruisers that are one tier below. Anything else will screw over either the carrier or the other ships.

T3 & T4 battleships should not be seeing anything above tier 5, period, barring division shenanigans. Not only do they basically have no AA for dealing with planes, but they have such short ranges and low speeds that they are some completely outclassed by later tiers it's not even funny. Higher than that at least gets some AA along with moderate ranges, but I've seen South Carolinas in a T7 match(they were divisioned with a Myogi, not that it did any better) and it was ugly. Both died before they could even get in range. Destroyers aren't quite so much of a problem, both due to the fact that torpedoes and speed work fine regardless of tier, and the fact that destroyer hp really doesn't change much for the most part. US destroyers are hit harder than IJN ones, due to being more reliant on guns, so the increasing ranges by tier actually do effect them, but they can generally still do something if they're careful. I think it generally works for cruisers, though seeing T8/9 cruisers in an Aoba is NOT fun,

And why the hell did they put the CV +2 jump at T6? That break should be at T7, and preferentially would be shifted to +0/+1 regardless - at least in regards to carriers on the other team. There's such a huge jump between upgraded T7 carriers and anything that came before it's not even funny. T7 fighter squadrons, of either country, literally buzzsaw through anything of lower tier, and they're fast enough to catch them quickly even if they get distracted. Assuming they're even remotely competent, a T7+ will destroy lower tiered CVs with basically nothing the latter can do about it. Whether this means wiping out their air groups or just plain sinking them, or both, depends on loadout. And yes, I've sunk a Hiryuu with a Ryuujo but it relied on the fact that he was not particularly competent, which I don't particularly appreciate my effectiveness being reliant upon.

Basically, the MM seems to have been designed with destroyers and cruisers in mind, and then arbitrarily applied to battleships and carriers with no real thought put into it. Low tier BBs just plain should not be seeing anything of significantly higher tier, because they're generally just an empty ship slot at that point, and CVs should not be seeing other CVs of significantly different tiers - with the most radical jump being between 6/7, though 8/9 is rather bad as well.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

First battle in my new Kongo wasted because the client crashed when I tabbed to pause yet another loving update for Dreamfall, and then took so long to load again that I was booted from the battle.

When the gently caress are they going to optimise this poo poo? Getting really tired of loading into battles after spending a minute or two watching the team sail around on the load screen minimap

e: a loving 0 xp daily, gently caress them in their incompetent assholes with rusty razor wire

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 11, 2015

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
We were in a division last night and our T7 CV was seeing T9 CV's.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

demonR6 posted:

It takes the highest tier and then pairs it with the worst possible tier any boat in your div could see. So if you have a T5 CV, and then a T4 BB, and a T6 CA it'll take the 6 of the CA, and the MM of a BB, and give you up to T9 opponents.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Lord Koth posted:

Basically, the MM seems to have been designed with destroyers and cruisers in mind, and then arbitrarily applied to battleships and carriers with no real thought put into it. Low tier BBs just plain should not be seeing anything of significantly higher tier, because they're generally just an empty ship slot at that point, and CVs should not be seeing other CVs of significantly different tiers - with the most radical jump being between 6/7, though 8/9 is rather bad as well.

T6 carriers are definitely in the worst spot for this - you go from being up-tiered every other game to being up-tiered every 2 out of 3, at exactly the point where being up-tiered becomes almost guaranteed that you'll get destroyed.

demonR6 posted:

That's normal anyway since they're +2 from T6 up. What can change is a solo T7 CV will not get put into a T10 match, but they can if the division contains a T7+ of any other class.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
My New York was put into a tier 8 game on Ocean last night. Spent five minutes dodging Fubuki torps and Shokaku bombers until a North Carolina almost one-salvoed me then a mouthy Farragut bragged about vulturing the killing blow with his guns. I was honestly surprised I lived so long. The Fubuki never came close to hitting anyone with torps, but his constant attempts forced a Mogami to keep turning in such a way that I was able to take advantage of AA barrage every time the Shokaku came after me. I got surprisingly decent xp for the match since I was able to take a Myoko to half health the one time I got to fire with all my guns bearing on the target. Of course, the game ended in a draw.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

grrarg posted:

My New York was put into a tier 8 game on Ocean last night. Spent five minutes dodging Fubuki torps and Shokaku bombers until a North Carolina almost one-salvoed me then a mouthy Farragut bragged about vulturing the killing blow with his guns. I was honestly surprised I lived so long. The Fubuki never came close to hitting anyone with torps, but his constant attempts forced a Mogami to keep turning in such a way that I was able to take advantage of AA barrage every time the Shokaku came after me. I got surprisingly decent xp for the match since I was able to take a Myoko to half health the one time I got to fire with all my guns bearing on the target. Of course, the game ended in a draw.

I feel like when I get dragged up a few tiers in my Cleveland and still do well, I get more for those wins than if I had fought an even tier or uptiered match. Perhaps its the people I'm killing have more HP, but in my Fubuki even one kill on a high tier target usually nets me 1.5k exp and break even + cash to spend, even if I do jack poo poo for anything else.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Reminder:

The Murmansk + 1000 gold + 7 days premium package is still for sale at low prices: https://www.kinguin.net/category/17812/world-of-warships-cruiser-murmansk-1-port-slot-7-days-premium-1000-tokens-us-bonus-code/

(NA only)

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Hazdoc posted:

It takes the highest tier and then pairs it with the worst possible tier any boat in your div could see. So if you have a T5 CV, and then a T4 BB, and a T6 CA it'll take the 6 of the CA, and the MM of a BB, and give you up to T9 opponents.

For any newbies who stumble across this post, the above is not a joke.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Sperglord Actual posted:

For any newbies who stumble across this post, the above is not a joke.

Why the gently caress would they do it like that? :psyduck:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Hazdoc posted:

A T6 CA can be matched against T9 on its own. Otherwise a St. Louis and a Hosho should get matched against T6. Going to test this now.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Scikar posted:

T6 carriers are definitely in the worst spot for this - you go from being up-tiered every other game to being up-tiered every 2 out of 3, at exactly the point where being up-tiered becomes almost guaranteed that you'll get destroyed.

That's normal anyway since they're +2 from T6 up. What can change is a solo T7 CV will not get put into a T10 match, but they can if the division contains a T7+ of any other class.

Okay how about we had a one T7 and they had a T7 and T9? Their Indy was melting all out poo poo out of the sky.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
How helpful are the premium ships for earning credits in this game?

I'm thinking about picking up a Murmansk or one of the cheaper premiums, but I'm not sure if it'd be that much better than just grinding my mid-tier ships for credits.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

UV_Catastrophe posted:

I'm thinking about picking up a Murmansk or one of the cheaper premiums, but I'm not sure if it'd be that much better than just grinding my mid-tier ships for credits.

At Tier 8 I'd say you make about 500k credits rather than 400k for a 2000 XP game if you're driving an Atago over a Mogami.
So not a very big deal.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 11, 2015

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

demonR6 posted:

Okay how about we had a one T7 and they had a T7 and T9? Their Indy was melting all out poo poo out of the sky.

As far as I know WG haven't said anything about what happens after the MM decides what tier the battle is, and who's eligible for it. It would be nice obviously if they made sure the count and tiers of the CVs on each side matched up though. The chart is just to help understand that if you division with people in other classes of ship then someone ends up worse off than solo in terms of battle tiers, whether by facing higher tier enemies than normal or just a higher proportion of up-tiered games.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

UV_Catastrophe posted:

It's 20% to 30% more Credits. So it's not really that much. You can buy 3k doubloons for less than the price of the Murmansk and get yourself a month of premium (+50% XP/Credits) on all Ships. And this might help you more to progress faster. if you really love the Omaha; the Murmansk is the same, just a bit better.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Just killed two full health destroyers with three salvos from my Myoko. The second one got lit on fire six times.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

ghetto wormhole posted:

Just killed two full health destroyers with three salvos from my Myoko. The second one got lit on fire six times.

IJN CAs are fairly good at salvoing DDs, though there's a tiny bit of luck involved, as you'll need to crit a few modules for extra damage. I've gotten 2 devastating strikes on DDs today in my Atago. Every time I open up on a BB, my first barrage of HE does upwards of 9K damage, which is fairly ridiculous.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Please tell me about the Kongo to fuel my drive to finish this loving Myogi. Even if it has become more tolerable, I must know something wonderful awaits me at the end of this.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Night10194 posted:

Please tell me about the Kongo to fuel my drive to finish this loving Myogi. Even if it has become more tolerable, I must know something wonderful awaits me at the end of this.

It has more Guns.

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
Applied to Seamen as SneakyKettle.

Omaha Omaha OMAHA. :black101:

Replay link.

Also gently caress standard mode forever with a rusty pipe, this screenshot exemplifies everything wrong with it:

We lost on account of a single Kuma, who was under fire, with less than 400 health left. Another two shots from the pursuing DD would have finished it, but the timer hit zero and HEY it's a draw now, gently caress you!

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Sneaky Kettle posted:

Also gently caress standard mode forever with a rusty pipe, this screenshot exemplifies everything wrong with it:

We lost on account of a single Kuma, who was under fire, with less than 400 health left. Another two shots from the pursuing DD would have finished it, but the timer hit zero and HEY it's a draw now, gently caress you!

They seriously need to do something about that. It's the lamest thing about the game. :ssj:

AngrySpork
Nov 9, 2003

The most powerful voice in gaming
I have NEVER been put in a match that small or lopsided. It was a lot of fun though.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Is there some way to make all my bullets fire at once instead of having to hammer the left mouse button?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

AngrySpork posted:

I have NEVER been put in a match that small or lopsided. It was a lot of fun though.

That was a terrible Zao driver. Couldn't hit me with torps at 4km.