Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008
If it has to be included in the load order, it counts against your plugin limit. In MO, you'll see it get assigned a Mod Index in the right-hand pane. Otherwise, you have to find in Skyrim's configuration or possibly your mod manager's configuration. Anything that's just loose files (Glowing Ore Veins, and even FNIS, IIRC), or things like SKSE and ENB that hook into the game, or any of their plug-ins don't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Anything that has an .esp and is checked in MO counts against your load order. This means mods with lots of .esps for compat patches, like ETaC, can put a real dent in your available mod space. This is where it's good to merge plugins.

As said, texture mods and SKSE plugins without .esps don't count at all.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Mazz posted:

Anything that has an .esp and is checked in MO counts against your load order. This means mods with lots of .esps for compat patches, like ETaC, can put a real dent in your available mod space. This is where it's good to merge plugins.

As said, texture mods and SKSE plugins without .esps don't count at all.

Minor note, but it's also .esm files, both .esp and .esm files are plugins that count for the 255 limit. (I'm sure you knew this, just being explicit for the person who asked.)

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Sorus posted:

What counts against the max plugin count? Is it safe to assume things that are SKSE plugins (Stable uGridsToLoad and Safety Load) don't?

Only esp/ms.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

GunnerJ posted:

Minor note, but it's also .esm files, both .esp and .esm files are plugins that count for the 255 limit. (I'm sure you knew this, just being explicit for the person who asked.)

Yeah, good call, I always kind of forget the big stuff generally are .esm and not .esp.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 10, 2015

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Also of note, the latest Wrye Bash development versions will merge a large number of patches into your Bashed Patch, 0.esp, which is nice.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
I suddenly can't talk to certain NPCs, some vanilla and some mod-added. In either case it's always someone I could talk to before and suddenly I can't start conversation or even pickpocket. I played around with my load order, tried disabling Immersive Speechcraft since that affects dialog, clicked on the NPC and "resurrected" via console to try to reset them, and tried to force dialog by equipping the guild starter amulet. A search for the problem only brings up people using Sneak Tools, which has that mask thing that prevents dialog, but I don't use that mod.

Here's my load order, any insight?
http://pastebin.com/yiLCAsZM

e: got it, it was Animations, a mod that has nothing to do with dialog, suddenly deciding to block activation of some NPCs at random.

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 10, 2015

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Soul Reaver posted:

Thanks. I was actually asking specifically about monsters - animals and humans seem to have quite a few model and/or texture improvements available, but for monsters I've mostly only seen mods that add new monsters - not enhance the look of the existing ones.

I might give some of the Automatic Variants a try if I can't find anything else though.

There are a shitload of good texture mods for monsters, but they tend to be for individual monsters so it takes some time to get a really comprehensive set going.

A really good place to start right now is with the work of Kajuan who has recently been making extremely high-quality retextures of monsters. By high-quality I don't just mean high-resolution; this guy doesn't just resize and add noise, he really takes his time to get it right. What's especially nice is that he makes really detailed new normal maps, which is an extra step that a lot of texture artists don't bother with. In some cases I've paired his improved normals with other people's diffuse maps; even under vanilla textures they will be a huge improvement.

These have only started popping up in the last couple of months, so it's an incomplete project, but he seems determined to beautify all the game's monsters.

Aside from that, you can pretty much just play normally until you run into a creature that looks bad, then go and run a search for the name of that creature, and then probably take your pick from quite a few retextures.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Is there a patch for PerMa so that the perks actually say what they do instead of having to reference an external document? Seriously gently caress whoever decided this was a good idea, doublefuck whoever agreed that it was a good idea.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

-Fish- posted:

Is there a patch for PerMa so that the perks actually say what they do instead of having to reference an external document? Seriously gently caress whoever decided this was a good idea, doublefuck whoever agreed that it was a good idea.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/59854/

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008
Fluff-gate.

Actually, the PerMa guy must be pretty chill relative to Arthmoor. That's been out almost a year, and there's no ludicrous butthurt to be found.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Herrvillain posted:

Fluff-gate.

Actually, the PerMa guy must be pretty chill relative to Arthmoor. That's been out almost a year, and there's no ludicrous butthurt to be found.

Yeah he actually is afaik. I am pretty sure the guy who wrote the de-fluffed perks mod is a friend of t3nd0's and iirc they had a pretty civil discussion in PerMa's comments about the two different ways of describing the perks.

eta: Hell, there's even another mod that does the same thing: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/60570/

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless

Nerd Of Prey posted:

There are a shitload of good texture mods for monsters, but they tend to be for individual monsters so it takes some time to get a really comprehensive set going.

A really good place to start right now is with the work of Kajuan who has recently been making extremely high-quality retextures of monsters. By high-quality I don't just mean high-resolution; this guy doesn't just resize and add noise, he really takes his time to get it right. What's especially nice is that he makes really detailed new normal maps, which is an extra step that a lot of texture artists don't bother with. In some cases I've paired his improved normals with other people's diffuse maps; even under vanilla textures they will be a huge improvement.

These have only started popping up in the last couple of months, so it's an incomplete project, but he seems determined to beautify all the game's monsters.

Aside from that, you can pretty much just play normally until you run into a creature that looks bad, then go and run a search for the name of that creature, and then probably take your pick from quite a few retextures.

Ah, hell yeah, this is what I was looking for. Thanks a lot!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Gyshall posted:

Also of note, the latest Wrye Bash development versions will merge a large number of patches into your Bashed Patch, 0.esp, which is nice.

How do I install the development version? I assume you mean the one on GitHub rather than Nexus?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Github was kind of a mess last time I tried it.

Grab the latest standalone from here -

http://afkmods.iguanadons.net/index.php?/topic/4036-wipz-wrye-bashexp-skyrim-patcher/ (which takes you to onedrive)

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=5f2e81535b547400&id=5F2E81535B547400%21133

Try this direct link - https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=5f2e81535b547400&id=5F2E81535B547400%21133#id=5F2E81535B547400%21287&cid=5F2E81535B547400&group=0

Install that over your existing standalone bash install. Back up your Mopy folder first if you want to revert.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I got tired of a bunch of COT compatibility stuff and tried Purity. It's too bad the Purity guy insists his vision of mods is perfect, because the weather seems to look really nice in it, and it has a low footprint. Cloudy nights are just WAY too dark. Haven't seen un-cloudy ones yet, but having nights this dark just means I'll skip over them and never see them.

Apparently that's just because my gamma/brightness are off, so says he, but if I change them, I'm blind in daytime instead.

Are there any similarly lightweight weather mods out there that look pretty good and don't center around "REALISTIC DARKER NIGHTS"?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Yeah no that's intentional on his part. lovely weather means you're supposed to hunker down for the night mostly because it's too loving dark to do things.

This wouldn't be a problem at all if ENB systems could do night vision right.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Midnight Voyager posted:

I got tired of a bunch of COT compatibility stuff and tried Purity. It's too bad the Purity guy insists his vision of mods is perfect, because the weather seems to look really nice in it, and it has a low footprint. Cloudy nights are just WAY too dark. Haven't seen un-cloudy ones yet, but having nights this dark just means I'll skip over them and never see them.

Apparently that's just because my gamma/brightness are off, so says he, but if I change them, I'm blind in daytime instead.

Are there any similarly lightweight weather mods out there that look pretty good and don't center around "REALISTIC DARKER NIGHTS"?

you can alter light levels at night in ENB profiles without blowing out the day (I think you can adjust day, night, interior, and maybe something else separately) so if you find something close to right, you can tweak it. I routinely bump up the light in ENB in, uh, every game with ENB that I play ever.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Psion posted:

you can alter light levels at night in ENB profiles without blowing out the day (I think you can adjust day, night, interior, and maybe something else separately) so if you find something close to right, you can tweak it. I routinely bump up the light in ENB in, uh, every game with ENB that I play ever.

Hm. That might be enough for me to actually use ENB for something other than the fixes. Darker nights crap gives me headaches. My night vision's better than my character's.

While we're at it, anyone actually tried Summerset Isle yet?

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 11, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Psion posted:

Do you know what settings handle this specifically? I feel like the ambient darkness in all ENB is just way too loving black. This is more for interiors like dungeons and caves then it is night though.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mazz posted:

Do you know what settings handle this specifically? I feel like the ambient darkness in all ENB is just way too loving black. This is more for interiors like dungeons and caves then it is night though.

Open up the ENB editor (Shift+Enter), open up the Environment category. There's Ambient Lighting and Direct Lighting subcategories in there, and lots of property to play with. Might take you a while playing with them directly to find what you like, again it helps to find something close to what you like and tweak from there.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

I use Natural Lighting and Atmospherics and one of the ENBs designed to work with it. However it should be noted that those don't significantly change the night levels from the default Skyrim level if you're after something that hits some sort of middle ground.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I used Realistic Colors and Real Night's awhile back, and generally liked the appearance. It may be worth looking at, though I don't think its been updated in a long time, so there may be compatibility issues.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Tried Immersive Horses, didn't like it and removed it to switch back to Convenient Horses. Now I can't ride horses at all, which is neither immersive nor convenient.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

I've been using Climates of Skyrim and rather like it. When activating in ModManager, it gives you 5 options for darkness, one being vanilla.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't know what character build to play as now. Last year I did light armour shouty Conan (fun as heck) and pure mage (fun until I overstimulated myself with twelve tabs of mod spells). Played a thief a couple years back with SkyRE and kind of hated it, and Conan was sometimes stealthy anyway. Are Grandmaster and Way of the Monk still the only unarmed mods?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Does anyone here have experience with SUM (Skyproc Unified Manager)? I've heard of it and it sounds like a good alternative to going over SkyProc mods individually.

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008
Regarding the Diverse Guards discussion from earlier, did they add audio for women delivering guard lines? If it was just reused lines from the places where female guards can appear, that'd be one thing, but since I installed it, I've had women deliver several hold or town-specific lines, like talking about Beirand or Bits and Pieces, and it sure sounds like the voice of the woman who does Mjoll and several other characters. I haven't cracked open the .bsa to see what's in there.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Herrvillain posted:

Regarding the Diverse Guards discussion from earlier, did they add audio for women delivering guard lines? If it was just reused lines from the places where female guards can appear, that'd be one thing, but since I installed it, I've had women deliver several hold or town-specific lines, like talking about Beirand or Bits and Pieces, and it sure sounds like the voice of the woman who does Mjoll and several other characters. I haven't cracked open the .bsa to see what's in there.

The lines probably existed from stormcloak guards since you could change the guard presence in several cities.

Herrvillain
Apr 13, 2008
Oh, yeah. It's been a while since I concluded the civil war plot.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/9279/

:allears:

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

I'm going back into skyrim after 2 years.

Dear lord my NMM is filled with so much unupdated poo poo.

I'm thinking of using PerMa and that's about it. Tho I'm not sure if my texture stuff will be compatible so I may have to redo them too.

Does the Basic Needs type mods work with PerMa? I assume it would but I dunno.

Grey Elephants
Jul 23, 2013
I've had the green water bug as long as I can remember. Disabling depth of field, using the green water fix mod, and using both in tandem did nothing. Is there any way for me to get normal underwater vision again?

Also, decent music packs? I was using this one but a lot of the music is so loud it drowns out everything else, and a lot of it isn't the greatest quality.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Grey Elephants posted:

I've had the green water bug as long as I can remember. Disabling depth of field, using the green water fix mod, and using both in tandem did nothing. Is there any way for me to get normal underwater vision again?

Also, decent music packs? I was using this one but a lot of the music is so loud it drowns out everything else, and a lot of it isn't the greatest quality.

Immersive Music is a newer one, I think put together by Hothtrooper44 who did IA and IW, but I ended up uninstalling it in favor of going back to the one you linked. To many songs don't fit the surroundings and/or sound like a beepy-boopy electronic keyboard version of real instruments.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Why are all bestiality mods seemingly made by Germans? Maybe it's all anecdotal but every time someone posts some sort of animal loving mod sure enough it's German. The mare vagina mod has his screenshot text in German and when someone posted a bestiality mod from LL sure enough the dude was German.

Oh God, just saw this reply. :cry:

BattleCattle
May 11, 2014

Red Mundus posted:

:suicide:

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Red Mundus posted:

If your username is "perverto," you'd better be able to know when someone's talking about GETTING BALLS-DEEPED BY A HORSE

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Does anyone here have experience with SUM (Skyproc Unified Manager)? I've heard of it and it sounds like a good alternative to going over SkyProc mods individually.

SUM is garbage. 50% of the issues posted for my Improved ASIS INIs used to be caused by SUM, until I put something in the FAQ to the effect of "don't use SUM."

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Is there a low reason why Orcs are non existent in the Legion I'm not aware of our can I make a mood to make them mostly Orcs?

Although I'm anticipating zero applicable voice acting which will be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacontotem
May 27, 2010

Mr. Crow posted:

Is there a low reason why Orcs are non existent in the Legion I'm not aware of our can I make a mood to make them mostly Orcs?

Although I'm anticipating zero applicable voice acting which will be a problem.

Immersive patrols has given me a few Orcs in legion gear. They seem to only have the recruitment line thus far.

• Locked thread