Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Played Spyfall on the weekend with goons. It was surprisingly simple yet stupidly fun as you blunder around trying not to give the location away while eyeing your fellow players suspiciously, hoping that they dont realize that it's you! YOU WERE THE SPY ALL ALONG!

But yeah for the physical version, printing out a pocket sized list of locations could help, or you could try work out your location from the clues you hear. Definitely a party game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
I played Spyfall online with some remarkably unsubtle people, who really got caught up in basically the role play. Which makes it really funny when we're at the South Pole and it's really incredibly obvious because everybody is cold... And then the spy guesses we're at the beach.

Probably need a different group for like, more sneaky play. But it was a really good catalyst for goofy improv where nobody is quite sure what's happening.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I don't see how you can win spyfall if you're the spy and you have to ask the first question besides getting lucky. i much prefer a fake artist goes to new york.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

burger time posted:

I don't see how you can win spyfall if you're the spy and you have to ask the first question besides getting lucky. i much prefer a fake artist goes to new york.

Having to answer the first question is even worse. There's a ton of simple things to ask the spy that are 50/50 at best (what clothes are you wearing) unless you give a really suspiciously vague answer, and then you have to ask the second question with basically nothing to go on. Definitely feels like the game needed some extra development to ensure the spy has something to go on at the start of the round.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

burger time posted:

What kind of first questions do people ask in your group? In mine it's usually, "what do you do here?" or something else equally uninspired.

Incidentally, I'm terrible at Spyfall because I have an absolutely poo poo short term memory, and can't remember the hints in people's questions.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

unpronounceable posted:

What kind of first questions do people ask in your group? In mine it's usually, "what do you do here?" or something else equally uninspired.

Incidentally, I'm terrible at Spyfall because I have an absolutely poo poo short term memory, and can't remember the hints in people's questions.

I like "What's your favorite color?" It's innocuous, and a random answer doesn't really give away anything, but a perfect answer tells the table you know where you're at without letting the spy know anything.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

The problem is I think you want the question to communicate something too. So any first question that doesn't communicate something in my group is usually cause for suspicion. I mean maybe you want to personally ask the same question every time just so you can be consistent as the spy and get away with it? But that feels odd.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I'd be interested to look at a chart of the relationship between when the spy first has to ask/answer and how often the spy wins.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sounds like the sort of thing a spy would ask!

I started off as spy a few times on the first question and it's not really that hard. We'd always use questions to probe, and the more suspicious you can make someone's answer seem, the more questions get thrown at them. Then there's times I'd try throw out odd questions to try mislead a spy and have it completely backfire and convince everyone that I'm one.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 11, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Is anyone familiar with a boardgame called Athlas: Duel for Divinity?

I backed a KS from the maker for a different, and turns out not very good game called Fallen City of Karez ages ago, and after 3 years of legal and not so legal fighting, with both the company contracted to make and ship the game miniatures, and with upset backers, they've finally given up on ever getting them, and are offering a free copy of the above as alternative compensation. Just trying to figure out if I actually want it or not.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

burger time posted:

I mean maybe you want to personally ask the same question every time just so you can be consistent as the spy and get away with it? But that feels odd.

This is how I play Avalon and Ultimate Werewolf. As soon as everyone opens their eyes: "Okay, I'm Merlin/The Seer, and these are the bad guys" *points at random people*. If I actually am Merlin, I can point at one good and one bad person and have an excuse to reject having the bad person on a quest without looking too suspicious.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Machai posted:

This is how I play Avalon and Ultimate Werewolf. As soon as everyone opens their eyes: "Okay, I'm Merlin/The Seer, and these are the bad guys" *points at random people*. If I actually am Merlin, I can point at one good and one bad person and have an excuse to reject having the bad person on a quest without looking too suspicious.

Congratulations, you have found the perfect strategy for your team in Avalon to lose every single time.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Jedit posted:

Congratulations, you have found the perfect strategy for your team in Avalon to lose every single time.

We have a guy in our group who, in BSG, will act like he might be a cylon every game, especially after the Sleeper phase. Like, he starts to dare people to Executive Order him and starts making a lot of weird remarks about how it's gonna be hilarious when he reveals under <x> hypothetical circumstances.

It is really confusing when I am an actual cylon and trying to figure out who the other one is, and also not very helpful when I'm a human and we're all pretty trigger happy with that airlock :v:

I can't figure out if it's some weird strategy he's trying to pull, or if that's just the particular manifestation of him being a contrary dick that appears during BSG.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Hey, so apparently at the World Boardgame Championships there was a 4-way tie for first place in Agricola with one of the players from my home town Sceadeau taking the win off tiebreakers.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Anyone know where I can get some decent-res images of Space Alert card backs and such? I'm making an insert for a friend and would like to put down images in the bins to make things look ~*~pretty~*~. Maybe I'm just searching using the wrong terms, but this is surprisingly elusive to find.

Edit: I'd use a camera if I had one better than my phone's.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 11, 2015

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

deadly_pudding posted:

We have a guy in our group who, in BSG, will act like he might be a cylon every game, especially after the Sleeper phase. Like, he starts to dare people to Executive Order him and starts making a lot of weird remarks about how it's gonna be hilarious when he reveals under <x> hypothetical circumstances.

It is really confusing when I am an actual cylon and trying to figure out who the other one is, and also not very helpful when I'm a human and we're all pretty trigger happy with that airlock :v:

I can't figure out if it's some weird strategy he's trying to pull, or if that's just the particular manifestation of him being a contrary dick that appears during BSG.

We had a guy like this too, but it was usually pretty funny. He'd just start saying how he hated us all and wanted to blow us up. Nobody ever took him seriously and it turned out he wasn't a Cylon after all.

Typically with my group the biggest Cylon 'tell' is when somebody is unusually quiet and just sort of goes with the flow, like they are trying too hard not to draw attention to themselves. Maybe that's why your friend's strategy works for him?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I got some large card sleeves for Tash Kalar and was dismayed that the top of each card sticks out by 1-2 mm. And yet space alert threats fit perfectly. Why couldn't vlaada just use the same card sizes? :psyduck:

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Chill la Chill posted:

I got some large card sleeves for Tash Kalar and was dismayed that the top of each card sticks out by 1-2 mm. And yet space alert threats fit perfectly. Why couldn't vlaada just use the same card sizes? :psyduck:

This stuff drives me absolutely bonkers but it also makes me love Vlaada more. I'm convinced it's a joke.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Why couldn't vlaada just use the same card sizes as everyone else? :psyduck:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I understand art assets and making the cards large enough to be seen by multiple people but the cards literally differ by 2x2mm at most.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
The Tash Kalar box itself is also kinda ludicrous.

EDIT: Also the board is just slightly bigger than a normal box, so you can't even store it in something else.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Vlaada is very sadistic.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TastyLemonDrops posted:

EDIT: Also the board is just slightly bigger than a normal box, so you can't even store it in something else.

It's the same size as Space Alert and Galaxy Trucker.
It's just Vlaada-sized, ok? :colbert:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TastyLemonDrops posted:

The Tash Kalar box now houses it and space alert, fully sleeved, but without the insert. It now rivals the Caverna box for board game murder weapon.

E: it was a close decision but besides the box dimensions not accommodating both in the space alert box, the simple Tash Kalar box is more aesthetically pleasing on a shelf.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Aug 11, 2015

QnoisX
Jul 20, 2007

It'll be like a real doll that moves around and talks and stuff!

deadly_pudding posted:

We have a guy in our group who, in BSG, will act like he might be a cylon every game.

We have a guy like that too. He's usually human and we usually lose to the cylons since we can't safety XO. That along with some players saying they almost have nervous breakdowns when they are cylons makes it hard to get BSG to the table.

So far Dark Moon has been better for us.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Chill la Chill posted:

The Tash Kalar box now houses it and space alert, fully sleeved, but without the insert. It now rivals the Caverna box for board game murder weapon.

E: it was a close decision but besides the box dimensions not accommodating both in the space alert box, the simple Tash Kalar box is more aesthetically pleasing on a shelf.

Wtf you bizarro fucker. I keep both games in the Space Alert box, it is the true way.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lichtenstein posted:

Wtf you bizarro fucker. I keep both games in the Space Alert box, it is the true way.

Hmm big imposing box of a gladiatorial arena and has colors and art style vaguely reminiscent of mystical God beings or tiny '50s space drama box?

*Insert pic of space alert box in my recycling bin*

(It was actually a hard choice and I prob should have saved the space alert box for other games but what's done is done)

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 11, 2015

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Space Alert has a box with a name of one of the best games on it.

Tash-Kalar has a box with a weird horse dude because of whom people will give you the looks.

Also, the boxes are the same size you filthy liar.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Not sure why Tash Kalar gets the rep for weird looks when Spartacus exists.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Dollar store bead, button and craft organizer boxes are like a loving dollar it's amazing my mage knight, arkham horror and various chitenous games have never looked so beautiful. I got all the dungeon command stuff into two boxes too.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Dollar store bead, button and craft organizer boxes are like a loving dollar it's amazing my mage knight, arkham horror and various chitenous games have never looked so beautiful. I got all the dungeon command stuff into two boxes too.

Plano tackle boxes also are really great if you want a more sturdy option. I got all the mana, dice, cities, and tokens in one I bought at Field and Stream for $7.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Aug 11, 2015

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lichtenstein posted:

Space Alert has a box with a name of one of the best games on it.

Tash-Kalar has a box with a weird horse dude because of whom people will give you the looks.

Also, the boxes are the same size you filthy liar.

Do you have the 1st or 2nd edition? I have the 2nd one and it was bigger. Also it helps to have the name cuz then we can point to it when someone wins and they have to shout it.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
Planos are pro, I fit all of the Argent stuff in there outside of cards and rooms and things.

AMooseDoesStuff fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 11, 2015

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I have an idea for an item that needs a 3D print prototype but I dont' know where to begin with that. I want to make foamcore clips for easy creation of board game inserts. What do

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

signalnoise posted:

I have an idea for an item that needs a 3D print prototype but I dont' know where to begin with that. I want to make foamcore clips for easy creation of board game inserts. What do

Ask an engineer that lives near you. Community colleges often have 3d printing services you can use on the cheap, and there are a lot of businesses focused on rapid prototyping. The big issue is how large your budget is, and whether the material you print with is suitable for your application.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Gort posted:

Not sure why Tash Kalar gets the rep for weird looks when Spartacus exists.

I have like Pirate King and Lord of the Rings Risk and Spartacus is still the most shameful box

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

signalnoise posted:

Neat idea. Reminds me of these thingies made for construction with cardboard, it was a combination of rivets and clips.

Anyway 3dhubs.com can help you out. You might want to ask in the 3D Printing Megathread.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Here's a write up on Scythe: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1416387/hearts-and-minds-initial-thoughts-after-gen-con-20

Reading about the gameplay doesn't particularly excite me now, but maybe it'll be different in play?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Hey guys I need to replace my copy of The Resistance and plan on picking up Hidden Agenda and/or Hostile Intent at the same time. Do those expansions basically make the game Avalon? Should I just buy Avalon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

GrandpaPants posted:

Here's a write up on Scythe: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1416387/hearts-and-minds-initial-thoughts-after-gen-con-20

Reading about the gameplay doesn't particularly excite me now, but maybe it'll be different in play?

Thanks for that link. Based on that reading I'd be willing to give it an impulse-buy try this instant. I'll have to wait, though.

Might be all that or it might not, but I'm excited to find out! :buddy: