Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

Doctor Reynolds posted:

He was thinking about protecting life. Fart even says this.

Yes but my point is, Fart didn't realize what life Morty wanted to protect, nor what the sacrifice was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Reynolds posted:

He was thinking about protecting life. Fart even says this.

Yeah the fart cloud said higher life must be protected so morty s thoughts about protecting life were misunderstood fart didn't view carbon based life as real life.

Also it makes me think fart s song is about genociding moon men

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

max4me posted:

Yeah the fart cloud said higher life must be protected so morty s thoughts about protecting life were misunderstood fart didn't view carbon based life as real life.

Making them see the sun sounds like dropping a nuke on them but I feel like also it is gibberish that means nothing because the cloud can kill people just fine without pyrotechnics.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

max4me posted:

It very much is.

"The world can be one together" quite literally because they compress them.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Gizmoduck_5000 posted:

I've noticed a pattern to the show wherein Morty or Summer witness some injustice or another and try to make it right, and as a result end up making things a gajiggidy times worse.

I can't help but wonder if Rick was at one point just as hopeful, well-intentioned and naive about the universe as his grandkids; but after several "Mortynight Run's" of his own, he's been left an alcoholic, nihilistic, corrupt shell of his former self.

I really think this was the case. Look at Morty's response when Unity's subjects show their natural colors. "Ohh, Summer. Haha, first race war, huh?" The show has an implicit view that the universe reflects the worst of human nature, and Rick was smart enough to catch on, and he educates Morty in it, etc. The longer you hang out with Rick/see the universe without high-level agency to change it, the worse poo poo seems.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
One scene that stuck out to me in Auto Erotic Assimilation was the scene of Summer and Morty lounging. Morty accepted Unity's takeover while Summer was still freaked out by it. I'm curious if this is character development on Morty's part that he's seen enough of the cosmos to accept that sometimes normal worlds are assimilated. I might suggest that he's becoming more like Rick and has become inured and hedonistic, but I'm also willing to believe that Rick really is covering a long lifetime of horror and pain.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

ZorajitZorajit posted:

One scene that stuck out to me in Auto Erotic Assimilation was the scene of Summer and Morty lounging. Morty accepted Unity's takeover while Summer was still freaked out by it. I'm curious if this is character development on Morty's part that he's seen enough of the cosmos to accept that sometimes normal worlds are assimilated. I might suggest that he's becoming more like Rick and has become inured and hedonistic, but I'm also willing to believe that Rick really is covering a long lifetime of horror and pain.

Not to be too harsh to someone who has the good taste to have a Donald Fagen avatar, but are you seriously asking if Morty's Character development is character development?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Not to be too harsh to someone who has the good taste to have a Donald Fagen avatar, but are you seriously asking if Morty's Character development is character development?
Gee Robotnik Nudes, I dunno, I mean, I kinda just am, uh, just I don't know what the--- where the line is, what you'd call character development exactly

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

ZorajitZorajit posted:

I think it's both. Morty, a young man striving to act more mature, is becoming more worldly and acting more inured to suffering. While Rick is as worldly as you can get and is trying as hard as he can not to let his formative suffering show to the outside world.

Edit: wubalubadubdub!

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Who here's ready for the season premiere this sunday

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
What are you talking about?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

CelticPredator posted:

He wanted to make sure the device would 100% kill him.

My interpretation was that since Beth told him "no more alien prisoners" that he had to let his remaining alien prisoner go.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Air is lava! posted:

What are you talking about?
I'm assuming he's joking about how this will be the first episode this season that hasn't been seen ahead of time by the majority of posters in this thread.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Robotnik Nudes posted:

If I may clarify, I think it's fair to ask if we're actually supposed to be considering that the show has character development. I wouldn't fault the creative team if they don't intend for their characters to be endlessly scrutinized. I.e. The line"they made burgers" is just Morty being a doofus who is convinced by a meal, and not a more seasoned, or corrupt, traveller. That's the first question that I wanted to raise. I do hope that's the case, but I also don't want to be an obsessive and destroy a production that engages me. The second question I would raise then, as I said, is to question how Morty is growing and what that means. Honest apologies if I was talking in circles. Also, thank you, I'm unironically fond of Donald Fagen and Steely Dan.

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Aug 11, 2015

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

You're good. I haven't had the fine Colombian today so I've been cranky. Also seconding the Steely Dan love.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Robotnik Nudes posted:

Yeah seriously, Unity outright says that Rick is better than her at what she does, ie; Rick makes people into copies of himself. Summer's character lets us see how much Morty has changed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

"THEY MADE BURGERS!"

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Yes but my point is, Fart didn't realize what life Morty wanted to protect, nor what the sacrifice was.

Fart had also shown that he could be distracted or thrown off his train of thought - he's telepathic and not omniscient, and also pretty arrogant. There's lots of ways to justify him not seeing the antimatter shot coming.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Buzkashi posted:

Fart had also shown that he could be distracted or thrown off his train of thought - he's telepathic and not omniscient, and also pretty arrogant. There's lots of ways to justify him not seeing the antimatter shot coming.

He was lost in song. Morty asked him to sing to distract him, which he did because he showed genuine affection for Morty.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Rick and Stan

http://engelen.tumblr.com/post/125889191736/rick-s%C3%A1nchez-and-stanley-pines-in-panic-and-rage

HaroldofTheRock
Jun 3, 2003

Pillbug

Buzkashi posted:

Yes , I'm not contesting this. I'm amused by it.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Hi thread, long time listener, first time caller. Rick and Morty is one of the best animated shows ever, and certainly one of the best currently airing, alongside Steven Universe and Gravity Falls (but for wildly different reasons). I should have subbed to this thread like a year ago but whatever.

Really excited to see where this season takes Rick. That ending was dark as hell, holy poo poo. I mean, not that I expected anything else from this show.

Other things I wanted to mention to a thread before I had a thread to mention them to:

- I laughed my rear end off at the Community gag, Rick and Morty is truly the best timeline.
- When Key & Peele are bubbling through time in the post-credits bit of S2E01, some prehistoric fish thing hops in their bubble and then out again a few eons later. I'm sure it was mentioned at the time, but I hope they do a callback to it, that was a fun little detail.
- I'm sure this has also been discussed, but are there any fan theories on Beth's mother? Specifically: Did Rick Sanchez ever care about someone enough to intentionally have a child with her, or was Beth the result of some bender or another?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

pksage posted:

Hi thread, long time listener, first time caller. Rick and Morty is one of the best animated shows ever, and certainly one of the best currently airing, alongside Steven Universe and Gravity Falls (but for wildly different reasons).

You know there was a rick and morty/gravity falls tiny cross over thing, right? Because they share a bunch of staff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F1MSiZVHX4

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You know there was a rick and morty/gravity falls tiny cross over thing, right? Because they share a bunch of staff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8F1MSiZVHX4

Is Gravity Falls consistently airing again now, I lost track of it during the S1 -> S2 hibernation.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

kalensc posted:

Is Gravity Falls consistently airing again now, I lost track of it during the S1 -> S2 hibernation.

Again?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

kalensc posted:

The answer to if gravity falls is airing consistently is always going to be no.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Stan really was the only memorable character from True Detective season 2

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Ratings are lower than usual, but not by much. http://www.showbuzzdaily.com/articles/showbuzzdailys-top-100-sunday-cable-originals-8-9-2015.html

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Oh my God what the gently caress is Naked and Afraid XL.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's how I usually wake up on a Sunday morning.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Is that neilson ratings?

It's top 3, probably got bumped out because TD season finale.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Why the hell do people keep talking about True Detective in the same breath as Rick and Morty? Never watched TD do they share a lot of actors or something?

Also, gently caress The Last Ship being as high as 6th place.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Applewhite posted:

Why the hell do people keep talking about True Detective in the same breath as Rick and Morty? Never watched TD do they share a lot of actors or something?

Rick and Morty is on the bubble because TD is kicking its rear end in the ratings.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Because one is a terrible show.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

Rick and Morty is on the bubble because TD is kicking its rear end in the ratings.
even if thats true, its still a bad show this season

no relation other than they air at the same time

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Irish Joe posted:

It's still 3rd place tho why would they consider cancelling it?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh my God what the gently caress is Naked and Afraid XL.

Naked people starving to death in the wilderness. Haven't seen any of the new seasons, but the old ones were at least mildly entertaining. One time a guy got bit by a poisonous snake.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Applewhite posted:

It's still 3rd place tho why would they consider cancelling it?

A list of shows that have been canceled:

-Every single thing dan harmon has ever worked on.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Having recently gone through Hannibal's cancellation (another amazing show, but with far worse ratings), I feel like Cartoon Network/Adult Swim knows what kind of a hit they have on their hands given their consistent placement in the top 3 of ratings. Hannibal ratings fell off pretty quickly (IIRC), and weren't helped by NBC's schedule fuckery. I'm not sure Hannibal was ever top 3 in its timeslot on Thursdays before it got moved to Saturday.

Short of Harmon/Roiland wanting to do a different project, I think Rick and Morty is going to be around for a long time. 100 years, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

rick and morty isn't "on the bubble", and even if it was when it's not and, in fact, a legit tentpole for [as], it wouldn't be because of the ratings, jfc

• Locked thread