Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It's slim and slippery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The naked screen has accumulated several faint scratches.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

The Dave posted:

The naked screen has accumulated several faint scratches.
And this bothers you? Do you actually notice them during normal use, or is it just one of those "I know they're there so in the back of my mind it bothers me" kind of things?

I've never used a screen protector in 6 years of iPhone ownership and haven't had an issue with scratches but I probably just have lovely eyes.

I've always been of the thinking that the screen looks much worse with a protector on it, and I'd rather use a nice looking screen 95% of the time and risk scratches than have a subpar viewing experience for the majority of my phone lifespan that's actually pristine underneath when I go to resell it.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Is there any way to restore my iMessage conversations from an iCloud backup with restoring my entire phone?

There were some instructions on the apple community support forums, but I don't see some of the menu options referenced.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

coldplay chiptunes posted:

And this bothers you? Do you actually notice them during normal use, or is it just one of those "I know they're there so in the back of my mind it bothers me" kind of things?

I've never used a screen protector in 6 years of iPhone ownership and haven't had an issue with scratches but I probably just have lovely eyes.

I've always been of the thinking that the screen looks much worse with a protector on it, and I'd rather use a nice looking screen 95% of the time and risk scratches than have a subpar viewing experience for the majority of my phone lifespan that's actually pristine underneath when I go to resell it.

It really depends on the light and color of what I'm doing if I notice them or not, they are faint. All my past screen protectors have basically been invisible and I'm a sucker for a higher resale value since I tend to get every model.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

The Dave posted:

It really depends on the light and color of what I'm doing if I notice them or not, they are faint. All my past screen protectors have basically been invisible and I'm a sucker for a higher resale value since I tend to get every model.
That's fair. I certainly can't fault you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Lokee posted:

Just got a new 6 today since the charging port on my 5s finally fully broke, ran out of the AT&T store before they could throw any accessories/poo poo tablets at me. Tempered glass protectors seem to be a big deal right now, go with screenguardz or is there a more cost effective alternative? Also I have no idea what case to go with; I just want something that wont turn the drat phone into a malignant-looking bulge on the side of my leg.

I buy the super thin ones from the Apple Store. They're great and nearly unnoticeable when on the phone. I just don't want to worry about the glass on my phone so I pay like $40 to keep that stress out of my life.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The Dave posted:

Every screen protector I have ever owned has had imperfections of some sort and the same irritation of an 'imperfect screen.' To me there are two competing issues: (1) imperfections that can affect resale or return and (2) imperfections that annoy me during use. Screen covers only really help (1) and that isn't my major issue of the two. I've gotten over having maybe 1-2 small ones that aren't noticeable without significant effort, because originally I would replace screen protectors at 30-50 cost for minor issues only to have some imperfection emerge again (be it a permanent bubble, or small mark or whatever).

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
I got a Zagg Invisible Shield glass screen cover and loved it. They have a lifetime warrantee on them as well. One time I dropped my 6 and it landed in such a way the glass cover got chipped but not a single ding on my iPhone. Was able to order a replacement screen, pay $7 or $8 for shipping and got a new one in three days. Sent them my old one and went on my merry way.

Poala Bear fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 11, 2015

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

I've dropped a phone with a glass shield and saw a small chip once as well. Frankly, I am not convinced that either your phone or mine would have been damaged in the way a chipped glass shield might suggest had it not had a glass shield at all. I think those shields just chip much easier than a screen would fracture or become damaged.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

XyrlocShammypants posted:

I've dropped a phone with a glass shield and saw a small chip once as well. Frankly, I am not convinced that either your phone or mine would have been damaged in the way a chipped glass shield might suggest had it not had a glass shield at all. I think those shields just chip much easier than a screen would fracture or become damaged.
One thing that bothers me about glass protectors is that they are significantly thicker than plastic ones. I can already feel the "edge" of the plastic one on my iPhone 6 when I swipe because of the iPhone's curved sides, and I imagine it would be even worse with glass.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
OtterBox's AlphaGlass line is pretty much completely incisive except for the edges where you can see the 'drop' down to bare phone face.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Lokee posted:

Just got a new 6 today since the charging port on my 5s finally fully broke, ran out of the AT&T store before they could throw any accessories/poo poo tablets at me. Tempered glass protectors seem to be a big deal right now, go with screenguardz or is there a more cost effective alternative? Also I have no idea what case to go with; I just want something that wont turn the drat phone into a malignant-looking bulge on the side of my leg.

I've had good experience with both Bodyguardz and Zagg glass screen protectors. Overall, they all seem to do the same effect. Would recommend one.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've had iPhones since the 4. Always had them in slim cases but never had a screen protector. I think one of them had an ultra tiny scratch on a screen which was so unnoticeable I couldn't find it when I was trying to show it to someone. My 6 has been dropped a few times and even caught in a moving treadmill and still looks like new.

Obviously an unlucky drop will do nasty things to a phone, but I never recommend screen protectors to anyone other than the super clumsy.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
My 6 plus has a ton of hairline scratches .. only visible when the screen is off but it takes a serious hit on the resale because people are super anal.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I've got a few fairly deep scratches on my iPhone 6 screen, and I'm not sure how. It's alone in my front pocket and always lives in a case.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Protocol7 posted:

I've got a few fairly deep scratches on my iPhone 6 screen, and I'm not sure how. It's alone in my front pocket and always lives in a case.

Jeans rivets?

I have light scratches on my phone from those I suspect, though not deep ones.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I typically clean off finger smudges by rubbing the screen on my pants, and once upon a time I put some scratches into the screen doing that. Maybe I had some grains of sand stuck in my jeans or something.

They were very shallow scratches though, and it was a 2 year old phone at that point so maybe the protective magic Apple puts on their displays had worn off enough that it didn't take much to scratch.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

So, I want an iPhone, but I don't want a huge phone. The only smaller iPhones available are in the iPhone 5 model, which is sort of dated now.

Are there any plans to make a smaller model again as an iPhone 7?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Nobody knows but it seems unlikely

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Inveigle posted:

So, I want an iPhone, but I don't want a huge phone. The only smaller iPhones available are in the iPhone 5 model, which is sort of dated now.

The evleaks guy on Twitter claims there will be a 6C coming out alongside the 6S and 6S Plus, but he's been wrong before. Also, no word on whether or not it'd be smaller than a 4.7" screen, if it even materializes at all. Hang out for another month or so; Apple will be announcing the new iPhones in early September.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
What's mildly funny is after the latest round of android flagships, the iPhone is still the smallest. Everyone else has gone to 5" or larger.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Inveigle posted:

If you don't mind buying used the 5s is still plenty of phone. Not the top of the line anymore, but it's not like you find yourself limited as to what apps etc. you can use. Really the only major feature it doesn't have is Apple Pay.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

MrBond posted:

Jeans rivets?

I have light scratches on my phone from those I suspect, though not deep ones.

Yeah I guess.

I'm gonna trade it in to Verizon when it's due for an upgrade anyway so as long as they wont care I won't care.

The store I go to is very lenient, anyway.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

MrBond posted:

What's mildly funny is after the latest round of android flagships, the iPhone is still the smallest. Everyone else has gone to 5" or larger.

Cash grab, so people have to buy new accessories.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Cyrano4747 posted:

If you don't mind buying used the 5s is still plenty of phone. Not the top of the line anymore, but it's not like you find yourself limited as to what apps etc. you can use. Really the only major feature it doesn't have is Apple Pay.

While the A8 is great, the A7 is still plenty powerful and it sure isn't any more gimped than the 6 is concerning RAM. The RAM is the biggest limitation IMO.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Cash grab, so people have to buy new accessories.

Or more likely they're desperate to prop up sales by convincing people to get a new flagship every year, and are flailing around trying to stumble on something that sells a bajillion units.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
I am using a Magpul case for my plus and put a tempered glass screen protector on it. I found both on Amazon for less than $20 with prime shipping. The only complaint I have with the case is not being able to see the gold phone, but I haven't found a clear case that doesn't have reviews of discoloration . Anyone have a suggestion for a nice clear cas?

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Steve Jobs didn't believe in cases and neither do I :colbert:

I took the case off my 6 a month ago and couldn't be happier. The phone feels better, balances better in the hand, and being able to swipe past the edge of the screen is such an amazing feeling. Also tried both kinds of Apple cases, and a thin rubber case that almost disappeared and weighed nothing, and none of them felt any good either. The phone really wasn't designed to be in a case. I certainly understand why some of you might need one, but me, I'm enjoying it so much more without.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
For whatever reason I drop by iPhone 6 a heck of a lot more than I ever dropped my iPhone 5 (size?). The only cases I ever buy are the leather apple ones, and my current one has some pretty nasty gouges in it. Phone's in great shape, but it needs to hold on until next year. :ohdear:

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Croc Monster posted:

I took the case off my 6 a month ago and couldn't be happier. The phone feels better, balances better in the hand, and being able to swipe past the edge of the screen is such an amazing feeling. Also tried both kinds of Apple cases, and a thin rubber case that almost disappeared and weighed nothing, and none of them felt any good either. The phone really wasn't designed to be in a case. I certainly understand why some of you might need one, but me, I'm enjoying it so much more without.

The 6 is a good looking lil slab. I'd probably go sans case if I wasn't so anal about fine scratches and resale value. I usually don't even bother reselling my phones either, what the gently caress. I've got my last two phones just sitting around in my room.

I really like the feel and added grip of the Apple leather case, but I do wish it didn't impair side swipes.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Croc Monster posted:

Didn't believe in doctors either

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I ran my 6 without a case for a day and decided against it when it slipped out of my hands. I thankfully caught it before it hit the concrete.

It's not worth the risk. It really is a lovely shape and size but it's too drat slippery.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
The 6 is too slippery to go caseless, unfortunately. I was caseless on every phone until the 6, when it slipped out of my hands and cracked in the first month of ownership. Fortunately the apple leather case is a great compromise.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm strongly considering selling my 6 soon. How much will the value drop after the 6s gets announced?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

LionYeti posted:

I'm strongly considering selling my 6 soon. How much will the value drop after the 6s gets announced?
Who knows? Last year the drop wasn't bad at all, and some sites let you lock in a trade-in price that's good for a few weeks.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

kefkafloyd posted:

The 6 is too slippery to go caseless, unfortunately. I was caseless on every phone until the 6, when it slipped out of my hands and cracked in the first month of ownership. Fortunately the apple leather case is a great compromise.

the apple leather case is fantastic and worth the price

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Throw one more log on the fire for the leather case, it literally is the next best thing to no case at all, except it keeps the thing from being so goddamned slippery.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the apple leather case is fantastic and worth the price

On this note, you can get either excellently made fake ones or stolen ones from eBay for $20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I bought a red apple leather case a couple years ago for my 5 or 5S and it got super gross in a few months.