Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Shine posted:

Steroids says gently caress the police.

:allears: steroids is so satisfying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i got assassinated, then my game froze, the music stop, but ambient noise continued:

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

oddium posted:

i got assassinated, then my game froze, the music stop, but ambient noise continued:

Yeah it seems like if you get hit for mahoosive damage the game will crash

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I've had this happen to me twice now. Once when I got hit by a car, and once right as the throne died :argh:

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

Melting's Brain Capacity + Throne Butt + Scarier Face + Laser Brain = Pure, unadulterated madness
I ended up dying to a stray bullet :(

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Just finished making this

It still needs some work. The gun is way too long -- there's too much space between the handle and the first dish and it's pretty ugly in that area but I really didn't feel like pulling my hair out over it so that's where I'm leaving it for now. I also took a couple artistic liberties with the front bit. Shhhhh

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
I hit ultra level in the castle level before the throne and got Ima Gun God, which seems to have been bugged for a few updates to still take you to the mansion for loot anyway, grabbed an incinerator and lightning smg, went through the game again without looping -- more enemies but the ones native to each level -- and then died after fighting lil' hunter the second time. Never saw the throne.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

POWERBALL posted:

I hit ultra level in the castle level before the throne and got Ima Gun God, which seems to have been bugged for a few updates to still take you to the mansion for loot anyway, grabbed an incinerator and lightning smg, went through the game again without looping -- more enemies but the ones native to each level -- and then died after fighting lil' hunter the second time. Never saw the throne.

Yeah, the number of enemies is based on difficulty, which is based on how many portals you've gone through, and the game doesn't start mixing up which enemies appear in levels until you beat the throne. I'm pretty sure if you go to the mansion before 0-1 you still see random enemies in levels.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Yeah, you have to beat the throne before getting the random enemies, but only form 1. Pretty sure anyways.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
:ssh:

Vlambeer posted:

No, this is not an update filled with secrets, but we did say we most probably wouldn't be doing an update and snuck this one in anyway! So here's a tiny one, giving you a few much-needed fixes and tweaks! Enjoy.

Balancing
Turrets are more reactive, but have a lower firing range and a delay before firing.
Changed Robot's Regurgitate Ultra to make it drop a random chest about slightly less than half of the time when eating a weapon.
Y.V.'s Throne Butt now has different timing. 25% less reload time than 4 shots.

Fixes
Fixed Y.V.'s active timing.
Might've fixed the "freeze on death" bug, but probably not.

Misc
Fixed some of the optimization code.
Removed the Credits button from the main menu, we'll be moving that to options eventually.

Aight, we're back to pretending there'd be no update this week!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Has that second, much more relaxed BGM in the junkyard levels always been there? It's very relaxing.

ALSO

It will stand for like ten minutes probably, but for these ten minutes I am the king.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Pierson posted:

Has that second, much more relaxed BGM in the junkyard levels always been there? It's very relaxing.

It hasn't always been there, but it's been there for a very long time. There's rare variants for the first three long areas I think (desert, junkyard, frozen city)?

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!
There's B themes for Desert, Scrapyard, Frozen City, and Palace. Getting the palace one on a really intense run is one of my favorite things that can happen in this game.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Count Uvula posted:

It hasn't always been there, but it's been there for a very long time. There's rare variants for the first three long areas I think (desert, junkyard, frozen city)?

It started playing more around the last two patches it seems. I never heard any of them before and now I keep running into the graveyard one.

I also ran into big bandit before 1-3 without the requirements to spawn him and got underwater anyway. I have no idea why. I killed poo poo and took a yellow chest, so....

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

Mindblast posted:

It started playing more around the last two patches it seems. I never heard any of them before and now I keep running into the graveyard one.

I also ran into big bandit before 1-3 without the requirements to spawn him and got underwater anyway. I have no idea why. I killed poo poo and took a yellow chest, so....

You only have to kill < 10% of enemies and grab all of the chests/cannisters that have spawned. If only a yellow chest spawns, that's the only chest you need to grab.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there any tricks or commonly overlooked things? (Are some mutations just way better then they sound?) I like this game but I must suck hard because I have a hard enough time getting to scrapyard, and I've only past it once, and that was via skipping to 3-3 from the underwater level.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Don't get hit. Shoot things until they die. In that order. Survival is the most important thing. That means that if you're unsure if something's going to hit, assume that it is, and don't go chasing power ups and rads if it's going to get you shot a bunch.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Oxyclean posted:

Is there any tricks or commonly overlooked things? (Are some mutations just way better then they sound?) I like this game but I must suck hard because I have a hard enough time getting to scrapyard, and I've only past it once, and that was via skipping to 3-3 from the underwater level.

Try to never run directly at enemies, especially crows. Aside from that, take things slowly and stay calm. Don't run into rooms full of enemies. Dodge and weave.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The crash on death bug is still around.

Also the hyper slugger is amazing.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

My advice is to grab something nice and spammy for clearing out a legion of weaklings and something more focused for tough stuff. Shotguns are great for the former early on, sluggers and crossbows are great for the latter. A heavy crossbow will oneshot pretty much anything all the way to the palace I believe, which is when the real assholes start spawning.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

pussy riot police posted:

and don't go chasing power ups and rads if it's going to get you shot a bunch.
For this reason, Plutonium Hunger is a top-tier mutation.

You also really want scarier face. I consider rhino skin and strong spirit pretty interchangeable and usually only get one(whichever one comes first) and don't bother to get the other unless my other mutation choices are quite bad. Trigger fingers is real good with slow weapons.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
I really don't think Plutonium Hunger is that good since they upped the range of pickups without it and decreased how much it buffs you. It's certainly really good, but not a must have.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's not really a must have anymore but it's still one of the best mutations in the game.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005

TheModernAmerican posted:

I really don't think Plutonium Hunger is that good since they upped the range of pickups without it and decreased how much it buffs you. It's certainly really good, but not a must have.

Having to dodge less to be able to shoot more is still hyper good late game. I personally value Plutonium Hunger above every non-Butt mutation (and even then, Butt probably contributes more to fun than survivability for every character except Robot).

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I consider Plant and Melting's Throne Butts near required for those characters. Especially melting.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

IronicDongz posted:

I consider Plant and Melting's Throne Butts near required for those characters. Especially melting.

On most character the throne butt is a must have pick but on others not so much. Y.V.'s is almost a downgrade at times - maybe you have an energy sword and a heavy crossbow and you might want to double shot it but never want to quad shot it, etc. Some characters seem more bound to certain mutations than others but that could entirely be me lacking imagination. Melting? I want throne butt, the no explosion damage one, and strong spirit. Rebel? I want a rhino skin, throne butt, and the life steal one (man I'm bad at remembering these names).

Star calls Y.V. the worst character in the game; what's up with that? He's my favorite personality wise and I love how he extends the usefulness of very basic weapons - between his faster shooting and his pop pop Y.V. can make a regular slugger or cross bow last until you've looped. I've always thought Fish was dumb just because I get no use out of his right click but then again he has a reeeaaally nice ultra mutation.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
All the characters are pretty good but putting out more bullets the way Y.V does doesn't really provide quite as much utility as other characters have in offense/defense. Except Rogue isn't good, but she's supposed to be harder than the other characters.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
Trigger Fingers is YV's real Throne Butt; the Butt itself is obviously only of situational use without Trigger Fingers. The two combined give YV unparelled offense.

Also Star's streaming game isn't really about making informed commentary; yeah he's good at Throne, but his expressed opinions rarely give insight into what's actually happening on screen.

Xenogenesis fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Aug 11, 2015

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Y.V. isn't that great, mechanically. Steroids basically starts with the same ability, but the potential to get way more ammo.

OTOH, Air Horn.

e. Eyes is the best though.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Mr. Despair posted:

e. Eyes is the best though.

That's a funny spelling of the name Crystal.

Although for sheer mayhem, melting with throne butt, scarier face and a crown of blood is the bestest. Good luck with getting those lined up ever, though.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Steroids with throne butt and ammo gland is just absurd. Robot is fun too and a good way of unlearning Steroids' right click tendency. With tb he gets a steady supply amount. Especially if you have a gold weapon you always will ditch mid run anyway.

Crystal has a throne butt I just plain skip. I rather stay immobile where I am rather than tp where I am aiming.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Mr. Despair posted:

Y.V. isn't that great, mechanically. Steroids basically starts with the same ability, but the potential to get way more ammo.

OTOH, Air Horn.

On the other other hand:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEvOZAFZIFE

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
YV is and always will be the best character

https://twitter.com/venuzpatrol/status/626522560147103744

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

YV is pretty rad because his active + crossbow + homing bolts carried me through the Ice City on my first time getting to it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

http://steamcommunity.com/games/nuclearthrone/announcements/detail/38631627920181071

quote:

Please take a seat before continuing. Let's dive right in.

There's some new interface, which also comes with a brand new host of tiny tweaks and even sound effects for the menus! Most importantly, there's a new daily screen, now showing you the character used and the world and level in which the run ended.

We've updated the character unlock requirements, as it's about time we start really working on some of the meta there. If you don't feel like grinding your way through every update, there's a temporary and rather giant "UNLOCK ALL" button in the main menu. Click it will unlocking all characters for you.

There's also a new thing it doesn't unlock. If you want it, you'll have to earn it. Loop twice to gain access to the very work-in-progress HARD MODE. That's right. Normal Nuclear Throne isn't hard enough for some of you. Just like loops themselves, Hard Mode is a super early version of what it'll eventually be. Hard Mode basically starts you off in loop 1, as a level 1 character, with a difficulty that ramps up twice as quick, enemies dropping less rads, normal loop 0 level weapon drops, and all the cool things that come with looping. To make things a bit more fair, you spawn right on top of a Big Weapon Chest, so at least you get to pick from three screwdrivers!

Other than that, there's a whole pile of balancing, fixing, even art visibility updates... And a Super Bazooka. Feel free to just skim over everything below and feel free to jump into the game as fast as you can.

Features
New daily screen, now showing you what character someone played as and exactly where they died!
Basic sounds for the main menu!
J.W. couldn't help it: the Super Bazooka.
We've updated the character unlocks! They're now a bit more spread out, as we want to slowly start testing the timing and curve for this. This also includes little popups when unlocking a character or golden weapon and a huge temporary UNLOCK ALL button for those who don't feel like grinding through the meta until full release.
Boss intro for the second loop boss.
Hard mode. Reach loop 2 to unlock it.

Balancing
Gamma Guts tweaks again. You no longer take damage from enemies you kill instantly with it!
Regurgitate gives you more weapons now.
The second loop boss now has more HP and functions as a light source.
Lil' Hunter is now a bit more predictable, using the snipe shots only from far away.
Crystal's shield cooldown has been increased a tiny bit.
Better rate of fire for the Splinter Gun.
Chicken throw damage now scales up with your level.
Flames spread easier.
Blood Hammer deals more damage to enemies.
Big Dog gains a lot more HP per loop than other bosses now.
Tiny bit more Lightning Cannon range.
Guardian Dogs now chill a bit longer at the start of a level.
Exploding Guardians explode in less projectiles.

Fixes
Fixed a freeze that happened on death.
Fixed a crash that happened on startup.
Fixed a bug where portals didn't open chests.
Music volume should now directly change when changed in the options menu.
Piles of explosions no longer become horizontal lines.
Pausing while Crystal is shielding no longer locks her shield.
The 0-1 fight now breaks small walls when activating, preventing "invisible walls" from appearing.
Bolts should now be able to damage enemies close to walls.
Bolt damage now stacks properly.
Gold weapons are now unlocked properly for your loadout.
Lasers should no longer glitch through walls.
Big Rad Canisters now have the proper sprite when they break.
Pausing as Chicken no longer always shows headless Chicken.
Fixed a few things kind of related to Melting.
Fixed the rate of fire for Steroid's second weapon.

Misc
Trying out some new decals in the Frozen City.
Updated Toxic and IDPD projectiles for readability. A few more projectile sprite updates in general.
The new default "freeze frames" value is now 80%.
Added an effect for when Chicken's thrown weapons hit something.
New tips!
The ambient tracks now start playing at a random offset.
Ambient track is now faded out inside portals.
Loading now shows percentages as 001% instead of 1%.
The (!) thing for new characters is back.
The reload bar is more clear in the HUD.
Continue/Retry are now slightly brighter than other buttons.
The back arrow now animates and has been moved around a bit.
Last but not least: your HUD now animates slightly when swapping/picking up weapons!

Get playing, enjoy, give us feedback! Apologies for hard mode.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They were busy this week. I cannot wait to see how awesome a super bazooka is, and also how fast I will inevitably kill myself with it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

quote:

hard mode
just gently caress me up

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
New YV unlock is going to his mansion. Horror still unlocks the same way. Still figuring out the other ???s. The new UI popups are very slick!

Also, a seemingly undocumented change: The big purple/red in guys YV's mansion now fire different, brighter looking projectiles. They don't function any differently, they just look cooler. :v:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 16, 2015

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Came across the super bazooka right as I ate the wrong weapon with Robot and right before the throne, so that was a welcome surprise. The Super Bazooka shits out 5 rockets in a fan formation per click. both throne forms barely did anything at all before going down. Other than that the thing is a goddamn liability without boiling veins. My loop ended prematurely because my laser minigun was nearly out of ammo and a single maggot was too close and I didn't see it. :v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i don't need no friends

i don't need no home

just everybody dead and my Nuclear Throne

• Locked thread