Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Bloodly posted:

Beaten, battered, close to death, unable to draw on Light Side powers because it's outright blocked where he's at, and this was before there was any creed to spout to yourself. I remember that sequence.

Then again, people have also noted he wasn't much of a Sith Lord, based on his accomplishments.

I think it's more that every single panel is him being like "No, Master Vodo was right! Shouldn't do this!" (proceeds to do whatever without hesitation).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Flippa Dippa? :shrug:

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

But isn't objectivism really all about self-loathing?

I thought objectivism is actually about only loving yourself.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Benito Cereno posted:

Kirby definitely did not hate hippies. The Forever People, for example, was basically a love letter to the younger generation of that time, despite the fact that Kirby himself was in his 50s, which would normally be prime time for hating young people. To the latter point, the magic powers Kirby believed hippies had would be optimism and idealism, which just found themselves literalized in his comics in the same way that fascism is literalized in the form of the anti-life equation.

If Mark Evanier can be believed, the "Hairies" from Jimmy Olsen were based on a biker gang that used to hang out in a ravine behind Kirby's house.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Selachian posted:

If Mark Evanier can be believed, the "Hairies" from Jimmy Olsen were based on a biker gang that used to hang out in a ravine behind Kirby's house.

Kirby even lived cool. :swoon:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

prefect posted:

Kirby even lived cool. :swoon:

How could he not as he is God.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I can't find the exact quote, but in Evainer's biography of Kirby he talks about how at one point some (pre WW2) Nazi wannabes/sympathizers came into the Marvel offices to talk to the guys doing the Captain America comic so they could show them how "real Nazis fought." In response to which, Jack just signed, rolled up his sleeves, and headed downstairs. By which time the wannabes had already bolted.

Although technically I suppose that should go in the Badass thread.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Evil Mastermind posted:

(pre WW2) Nazi wannabes/sympathizers came into the Marvel offices
I'm confused by this sentence, it seems to imply marvel existed in the early 30s

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

I'm confused by this sentence, it seems to imply marvel existed in the early 30s

They did as Timely and it would have been late 30s as Captain America came out a year before Pearl Harbor.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

bobkatt013 posted:

They did as Timely and it would have been late 30s as Captain America came out a year before Pearl Harbor.
Timely started in 1939.

It looks like Cap existed for about 6 months before WWII "officially" started? It was just a weird way to describe the sequence of events and I'd like to understand the details better. :)

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Timely started in 1939.

It looks like Cap existed for about 6 months before WWII "officially" started? It was just a weird way to describe the sequence of events and I'd like to understand the details better. :)

Cap appeared in December 40 and Pearl Harbor happened December 41 so it would have been a year before America got involved and there was the huge isolationist movement.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's entirely possible I'm mis-remembering the timeframe.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

bobkatt013 posted:

It would have been a year before America got involved and there was the huge isolationist movement.

Yeah but that's not what he said. :)

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's entirely possible I'm mis-remembering the timeframe.

Well, if you figure it out I'd love to hear more details, because the details are about Jack Kirby beating up Nazis.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

theflyingorc posted:

Well, if you figure it out I'd love to hear more details, because the details are about Jack Kirby beating up Nazis.

Here's a different, but also cool story about Captain America and real life Nazis

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

theflyingorc posted:

Sounds more like the details are about Nazis turning tail at the mere suggestion of having to fight Jack Kirby.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

theflyingorc posted:

He did actually fight in WW2, earned the Bronze Star, and came back with PTSD so it's safe to say he did kill some Nazis.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Might as well post the best character introduction in comics.

Mister Miracle #6

Pretty sure there was a thought balloon above Kirby's head with Stan Lee's face leering at him when he wrote this.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
This was the only reference I could find to that story, and a bunch of tumblrs with the same text:

http://www.poormojo.org/pmjadaily/archives/035855.php posted:

Another time, Jack took a call. A voice on the other end said, ‘There are three of us down here in the lobby. We want to see the guy who does this disgusting comic book and show him what real Nazis would do to his Captain America’. To the horror of others in the office, Kirby rolled up his sleeves and headed downstairs. The callers, however, were gone by the time he arrived. —
Mark Evanier, Kirby: King of Comics

So there may be more details in the book Kirby: King of Comics, or that may be it.

Timely did end up with police protection from Nazi sympathizers for a while, though: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2007/03/08/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-93/

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Jack Kirby: more feared than Captain America.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Jack Kirby: more feared than Captain America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0pcChyV6o4

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Jack Kirby was Jewish and from the lower east side. He probably would have taken them.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

goatface posted:

Jack Kirby was Jewish and from the lower east side. He probably would have taken them.

now I'm imaging that Kirby said "It's Clobberin' Time!" on the way to beat up the Nazis. This pleases me.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Jack Kirby not being able to actually punch Hitler in the jaw is one of history's greatest crimes.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sefer posted:

This was the only reference I could find to that story, and a bunch of tumblrs with the same text:

So there may be more details in the book Kirby: King of Comics, or that may be it.

Timely did end up with police protection from Nazi sympathizers for a while, though: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2007/03/08/comic-book-urban-legends-revealed-93/
Thanks, that was the quote I was thinking of. I just couldn't find it.

In the original broadcast of Turpin's funeral, they had background characters based on the other characters he created, including ones for Marvel. Which, I suppose, belongs in the Touching Moments thread.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Ever lovin' brown eyed Kirb

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

In the original broadcast of Turpin's funeral, they had background characters based on the other characters he created, including ones for Marvel. Which, I suppose, belongs in the Touching Moments thread.

It also ended with a dedication to Jack Kirby.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I'd pay good money for a comic starring Jack Kirby as he travels the world, sighing, rolling up his sleeves, and punching Nazis in the face.

Doubly so if his sidekick is the rock and roll wizard Jim Steranko.

Evil Mastermind posted:

*sniffle*

Sorry, I, uh, must have something in my eye.

ecavalli fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 11, 2015

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Sizone posted:

Black Racer

Darkseid

Orion

These aren't the dumbest names, they are the most loving metal.

Okay, he's good at super names. But if he had one fault, it was in naming civilian Aliases. "O' Ryan" "Ike Harris" he wasn't even trying.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I think the nazi story is a exaggeration of what happened when the mafia showed up to extort Marvel in the 50's. The guy didn't run off from Kirby. At first. The legend I've heard is Kirby chased after him threatening him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm sure Jack ran off and beat up more than one rear end in a top hat in his time.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I'm sure Jack ran off and beat up more than one rear end in a top hat in his time.

If only he did it to John Byrne.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bloodly posted:

Beaten, battered, close to death, unable to draw on Light Side powers because it's outright blocked where he's at, and this was before there was any creed to spout to yourself. I remember that sequence.

Then again, people have also noted he wasn't much of a Sith Lord, based on his accomplishments.

Sure, he got that sequence where he gatecrashed Ulic's trial before the Republic Senate. That was pretty cool.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

I can't find the exact quote, but in Evainer's biography of Kirby he talks about how at one point some (pre WW2) Nazi wannabes/sympathizers came into the Marvel offices to talk to the guys doing the Captain America comic so they could show them how "real Nazis fought." In response to which, Jack just signed, rolled up his sleeves, and headed downstairs. By which time the wannabes had already bolted.

In The Dreamer, one of Will Eisner's psuedo-autobiographical works, some mafia guys come into his studio for a shakedown and not-Kirby chases them off. I don't know if that was actually a true event, but it's true enough for me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

If only he did it to John Byrne.

God'll let Byrne into heaven just so Jack can whup his rear end.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, mobster story was true?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm not an expert but I don't think Jews believe in heaven.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Jesus might argue that point, and as we all know, he's canonically Kirby's son.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Lurdiak posted:

It's in literally the first line of the Torah.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
poo poo, I forgot that canonically Kirby is God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Evil Mastermind posted:

So, I know he probably doesn't in reality. But I'm just going to imagine the reason Jack Kirby keeps drawing people more swole than He-Man was because his art style was based on himself.