Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why did both citibank (platinum select aadvantage mc) and barclaycard (red aviator mc?) send me new cards all of a sudden? I signed up for both for the 50k x2 promotion and just checked my actual mail. The citibank card is literally the same card, same 3 digit code, same expiration date. I guess the design on the back looks different but thats literally it. I'm guessing the one from barclaybank is just the same card as before but rebranded.

Also, I logged onto my aa.com account which I created before i ever signed up for either of these cards, like years ago. How does the system know these two cards belong to me because my 100k bonus miles are shown here. I thought I was gonna have to call customer service for both cards and get them to manually transfer them to my AA account.

You probably provided your AAdvantage number during signup and didn't remember it. I also believe they can match by SSN, but I'm not 100% sure.

I believe the Citi AA card was upgraded from a Mastercard to a World Mastercard.

Barclay's just changed because US Airways is going away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

becoming posted:

Depends on what you're buying/where you're buying it, and sometimes when. Do you just want straight cash back, or are you interested in travel? You really haven't told us enough to make a good recommendation, but I'm going to go ahead and recommend the American Express Premier Rewards Gold card. The annual fee is waived for the first year, there's no pre-set spending limit, and if you check out Card Match (google it) you might get a targeted offer for 50k points on sign up, which is basically $500 or, if you are traveling, can be turned into much more. MR points are pretty versatile and American Express customer service is very good.

New Citi card is a World Elite instead of World. New Barclaycard is the pretty obvious re-brand from US Airways to AA. Same thing happened to me with the miles, I guess they are just super smart/try to cross-reference address & name or somesuch.

I'm going to be buying jewelry, and I don't travel much so I'd like cashback that redeems into cash/statement credit or like Amazon gift cards.

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Gamesguy posted:

I'm going to be buying jewelry, and I don't travel much so I'd like cashback that redeems into cash/statement credit or like Amazon gift cards.

Not aware of any cards with category bonuses for jewelry, so you're really looking for best cash back. I still think AmEx PRG is a solid way to go if you get the targeted 50k signup bonus. You can redeem that for a lot of gift cards, or you can fly round-trip to Hawaii from the west coast, twice. I know you said you don't travel, but 50k MR points might change your mind. No pre-set spending limit on AmEx is pretty handy too, but on the flip-side, it's a charge card, so you are not able to carry a balance without paying huge fees.

The other really good option is Chase Sapphire Preferred. Annual fee waived the first year, 40k Ultimate Rewards points that you can turn into Amazon gift cards at 1¢ per point (so $400), a 5k point bonus if you add an authorized user (you just have to add them, you can cut up the card as soon as it arrives) so that's $450 in gift cards total. Some stores have bonuses for buying through the Chase portal, so you can rack up extra points/money that way (I earned a fair bit extra when I needed new tires for my Jeep, just by using my Chase card at Tire Rack). It also earns double points on dining out, so there's that.

No sign-up bonus on the Citi Double Cash card, but it's straight 2% back and no annual fee, so that's pretty hard to beat if you just want to have a card that you use for the rest of your life.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Citi vs. Barclays on the AA situation. How long should I wait till I should cancel this Citi card? Because they provide the exact same benefits but the Barclays card is cheaper and better looking. Oh, and no foreign transaction fees.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

FunOne posted:

Speaking of Citi vs. Barclays on the AA situation. How long should I wait till I should cancel this Citi card? Because they provide the exact same benefits but the Barclays card is cheaper and better looking. Oh, and no foreign transaction fees.

Call Citi and say you're going to cancel because the products overlap and you like Barclays better. I just did this and got offered 3,000 bonus miles for $500 spend in 3 months.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

becoming posted:

Not aware of any cards with category bonuses for jewelry, so you're really looking for best cash back. I still think AmEx PRG is a solid way to go if you get the targeted 50k signup bonus. You can redeem that for a lot of gift cards, or you can fly round-trip to Hawaii from the west coast, twice. I know you said you don't travel, but 50k MR points might change your mind. No pre-set spending limit on AmEx is pretty handy too, but on the flip-side, it's a charge card, so you are not able to carry a balance without paying huge fees.

The other really good option is Chase Sapphire Preferred. Annual fee waived the first year, 40k Ultimate Rewards points that you can turn into Amazon gift cards at 1¢ per point (so $400), a 5k point bonus if you add an authorized user (you just have to add them, you can cut up the card as soon as it arrives) so that's $450 in gift cards total. Some stores have bonuses for buying through the Chase portal, so you can rack up extra points/money that way (I earned a fair bit extra when I needed new tires for my Jeep, just by using my Chase card at Tire Rack). It also earns double points on dining out, so there's that.

No sign-up bonus on the Citi Double Cash card, but it's straight 2% back and no annual fee, so that's pretty hard to beat if you just want to have a card that you use for the rest of your life.

I did the card match thing like you said to and it looks like the best offer is capital one venture? It seems to be a 2% cashback card with a $400 promo and looks better than the chase one due to being 2% instead of 1%. Reading the fine print the travel miles are also more useful than I originally thought since I don't have to book through them to use the miles. I didn't get offered the amex.

Thanks for your help.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 3, 2015

Supermercado
Aug 6, 2003

becoming posted:

Not exactly a category bonus but the Chase Sapphire Preferred could be a slightly better contender (although maybe not as good as the PRG) with the Shop Through Chase shopping portal.

In addition to the 1 point/$1 on every purchase, if the jewelry is purchased through either zales.com or bluenile.com and you click through the Chase portal to those sites, Zales will give an additional 2 points/$1 and Blue Nile is 3 points/$1, making each of those pay an effective 3 points/$1 or 4 points/$1. Depending on the size of the purchase, and if it can be ordered online, that could make the Sapphire Preferred more attractive. Those points will get credited after a few weeks, typically, and can be redeemed for any of the usual cash back, gift cards, or travel.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

becoming posted:

Depends on what you're buying/where you're buying it, and sometimes when. Do you just want straight cash back, or are you interested in travel? You really haven't told us enough to make a good recommendation, but I'm going to go ahead and recommend the American Express Premier Rewards Gold card. The annual fee is waived for the first year, there's no pre-set spending limit, and if you check out Card Match (google it) you might get a targeted offer for 50k points on sign up, which is basically $500 or, if you are traveling, can be turned into much more. MR points are pretty versatile and American Express customer service is very good.

New Citi card is a World Elite instead of World. New Barclaycard is the pretty obvious re-brand from US Airways to AA. Same thing happened to me with the miles, I guess they are just super smart/try to cross-reference address & name or somesuch.

What's the difference between World Elite and World? I saw that difference too, I figured it's just more pointless buzzwords?

e: found a link explaining by searching "world elite vs world". It looks like it just has a few extra benefits, like airline upgrades with a few carriers and car rental discounts but otherwise pretty meh. I did just notice that the standard MC gives you a 60 day price protection in case prices drop within that time period. That's actually pretty nifty, has anyone used it and what's the catch? Any restrictions like no Amazon etc?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Aug 3, 2015

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

pig slut lisa posted:

Call Citi and say you're going to cancel because the products overlap and you like Barclays better. I just did this and got offered 3,000 bonus miles for $500 spend in 3 months.

I SM'ed them and said basically said the same thing. They closed my account without even asking me if it was ok. Probably a good idea to call them and don't SM otherwise they may just close it on you

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I've experienced the same, SM results in immediate account closure while the phone reps will make an offer for retention.

edit: This weekend I bought my niece a Panera gift card for her birthday, and the grocery store wouldn't let me use a credit card so I had to split up my transaction. I know buying those "reload" cards like moneypak/green dot/vanilla were getting clamped down on due to the manufactured spend issue. But I had never seen gift cards specific to a retailer be restricted to cash/debit only.

nickutz fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Aug 3, 2015

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
If you're buying jewelry at Kohls it's the five percent Cashback this quarter with Chase Freedom FWIW

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

It's going to be a boutique shop so none of those promotions will work for me. :(

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Gamesguy posted:

It's going to be a boutique shop so none of those promotions will work for me. :(

Good man.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Gamesguy posted:

Chase sapphire preferred is doing $400 cashback after $4000 spend in the first 3 months. Usually minimum spend offers will give better rewards than normal % cashback offers unless you are spending a lot of money.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Well I just tried to book a flight to Germany with my AA miles. 40k round trip which is great, but it's still gonna cost me $416 in taxes or some bullshit.

e: Cause DUS is expensive. Total price for CDG 88$.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Aug 6, 2015

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

Boris Galerkin posted:

still gonna cost me $416 in taxes or some bullshit.

likely due to the YQ surcharge, airlines call it 'taxes' but its just another fee.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Well I just tried to book a flight to Germany with my AA miles. 40k round trip which is great, but it's still gonna cost me $416 in taxes or some bullshit.

e: Cause DUS is expensive. Total price for CDG 88$.

That's like, BA bad.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Any advice for UK goons? Yearly spend is probably around £50k (lots of business travel) currently just get hotel points and free nights as it's worth more than the 1%-2% most cards offer. Can I do better?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

app posted:

likely due to the YQ surcharge, airlines call it 'taxes' but its just another fee.

What's that? I changed airports to CDG (Paris) and it dropped down to $88 for the round trip so that's more what I was thinking of by "free."

becoming
Aug 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's that? I changed airports to CDG (Paris) and it dropped down to $88 for the round trip so that's more what I was thinking of by "free."

Fuel surcharges.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Any advice for UK goons? Yearly spend is probably around £50k (lots of business travel) currently just get hotel points and free nights as it's worth more than the 1%-2% most cards offer. Can I do better?

I don't know all the UK options, but i think there are two main option. Either two cards for the airline and hotel you use. The other option is to use a card with good transfer partners that gives bonus points on travel spend, Amex PRG is an example. The former is probably worth more but you're tied to a brand.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Beyond the current offer of a $60 gift card, is there any reason to get the Amazon Store card? Not the Amazon Visa, the other one. I don't think I'd ever take advantage of the no-interest financing options, that seems like playing with fire to me.

Edit: is this an actual card or something like Paypal Credit where you just now have a credit limit with Amazon but not an actual card to use?

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 7, 2015

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

I have it. It's a credit line provided by Synchrony Bank (they issue tons of retailer-specific cards) that's only for use on Amazon. You get a flimsy paper card in the mail with your account number on it. If you have Prime, you'll get 5% cash back on your statement as a credit every month, automatically. I order enough on Amazon via Subscribe & Save to make up for my Amazon Prime fee through the cash back.

SweetSassyMolassy
Oct 31, 2010
Kinda new to the whole rewards programs thing. Learned about shopping portals and credit card signups as ways to earn rewards. It seems that using the shopping portals is substantially faster to earn rewards than just regular spend on a credit card not counting the signup bonus. I like to combine the two whenever possible, which is cool that Amex will send 1mile/dollar spent on top of the shopping portal bonuses kinda getting a double dip. I was wondering though, how deep of a double dip can I get? Amex sometimes has bonuses I can activate with certain retailers (PNC does the same with their cashbuilder card). Was wondering if this example would be legit or not due to the whole "not combinable with any other offers" fine print:

Take Cashbuilder card from PNC and activate an option for 10% extra cashback from Autozone
Go to Mileage Plus shopping portal and click their link with 3miles/$
spend with Cashbuilder and get both 10% and 3miles/$

Will that work because one is a credit card bonus and the other is a shopping portal, or will one cancel the other?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

You should be able to double dip in the scenario you've described.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
So I'm 29 and never had a credit card in my life. My credit history is probably bad with a history of late payments on services, outstanding medical bills and other poo poo.

I was getting ready to get a secured card, but BoA just like instantly approved me for a Cash Rewards Platinum Plus. Spend 500 in the first 90 days and get 100 back, 1% cash back on all purchases, 2% on groceries, 3% on fuel, with a $1500 limit. Pretty happy with that for my first card.

they have rewards programs but the only one that interested me a lil was 10% cashback at zappos.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

EAB posted:

So I'm 29 and never had a credit card in my life. My credit history is probably bad with a history of late payments on services, outstanding medical bills and other poo poo.

I was getting ready to get a secured card, but BoA just like instantly approved me for a Cash Rewards Platinum Plus. Spend 500 in the first 90 days and get 100 back, 1% cash back on all purchases, 2% on groceries, 3% on fuel, with a $1500 limit. Pretty happy with that for my first card.

they have rewards programs but the only one that interested me a lil was 10% cashback at zappos.

Pay off your balance monthly and don't buy something you don't have the money to back it up with already in the bank.

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Are there ever promotional deals for signing up with the Citi Double Cash card?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
SPG Amex 30k points promotion is live, but only through referral. I saw in the rules no "referral gimmicks" so to speak. I feel like this isn't one. So, PM me or otherwise get me your email and I can send some out. $3k spend across 3 months. If this does fall under the rules, then I take it all back >_>

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

EAB posted:

If you bank there you get a 10% bonus on those numbers, then higher if you have higher relationship balances. So, 1.1, 2.2, 3.3%

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

baram. posted:

Are there ever promotional deals for signing up with the Citi Double Cash card?

There was a $200 signup bonus for a few people when the card first launched, but nothing since.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Blinkman987 posted:

SPG Amex 30k points promotion is live, but only through referral. I saw in the rules no "referral gimmicks" so to speak. I feel like this isn't one. So, PM me or otherwise get me your email and I can send some out. $3k spend across 3 months. If this does fall under the rules, then I take it all back >_>

I don't think it's referral only, but likewise, with a PM, I can also provide a 30,000 point Amex SPG referral link if someone needs one.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
You can also get the business card for another 30k miles, but requires $5k in spend in 3/mos instead of $3k in spend.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

So I got a new credit card in May in order to get the sign up bonus.

How long should one to wait before getting another card?

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

spinst posted:

So I got a new credit card in May in order to get the sign up bonus.

How long should one to wait before getting another card?

There's certain rules for the different issuers but they tend to only matter if you're doing poo poo tons of applications. Generally speaking, you should be safe to get another whenever you want.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Cacafuego posted:

I don't think it's referral only, but likewise, with a PM, I can also provide a 30,000 point Amex SPG referral link if someone needs one.

You're right. The email I received implied it was through referrals, but I found the 30K offer advertised on the SPG website.

Edit: Shoutout to Amex for not giving me the switch to the 30K bonus, but instead just straight-up giving me 5k SPG points for being a loyal Amex customer.

Komisar
Mar 31, 2008
Just a heads up, my Amex BCE card (which I know a bunch of goons have) just put up an offer through Amex Rewards for $15 credit on spending $15 at Amazon -- basically free money.

asur
Dec 28, 2012
It appears to be targeted though I have no idea what criteria they use.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
pretty limited, not on any of mine. I had two google play $5 and one $5 apple though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

I don't see an Amazon offer on my BCE either. Dang.

Does anyone know roughly how long it would take to get a Citi DoubleCash card after applying? I have a 738 FICO, 765 TransUnion/Experian according CreditKarma, so there shouldn't be any hold-ups on my application. I get offers in the mail from them every month too.

I'm trying to time my application just right since I'd like to do a balance transfer, but want to see if I can bump up my credit score a bit more first by paying down my only CC with a balance by another $1000-2000.