Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I believe that might just be for access through plex app/browser. Like if you were sharing your plex server with a friend and they weren't on your local network, they couldn't access anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, by port forwarding Plex on your router you are opening up access to it. If you want to block access to the web UI, don't forward the port.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I had my media on a drive I shared with other things, and now I've purchased another disk that I'll dedicate to Plex stuff. Is there anything I have to do to move everything to the new drive and not lose my watch list, or does that not matter if I move my stuff to another location on the same computer?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Drunk Badger posted:

I had my media on a drive I shared with other things, and now I've purchased another disk that I'll dedicate to Plex stuff. Is there anything I have to do to move everything to the new drive and not lose my watch list, or does that not matter if I move my stuff to another location on the same computer?

Do you plan on keeping the drive your content was on originally? If not, you can just assign your new disk the same drive letter, move over all your stuff (in the same folder hierarchy) and Plex won't know the difference. If you are keeping that old drive, and are moving your media content over to the new disk that will have a new drive letter, then the process is a bit more involved. Fortunately Plex support has a step by step process you can follow :)

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/201154537-Move-Media-Content-to-a-New-Location

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.

Tyson Tomko posted:

I've seen this mentioned in the Plex forums but wanted some goon opinions.

Is there an easy way to actually disable remote access? I have it setup and it works great, but I decided to disable it last night and realized even after clicking "disable" on the server options screen, I was still able to access it just fine with IP:port/web and was able to change anything and everything. The only way I could full on disable it was to disable the port forwarding I've got setup on my router. The reason I want to do this is so someone with a little knowledge doesn't go in and jack with my setup on accident/purpose.

It's not a really really big deal but I'm just confused what it's actually disabling if I can still get in there fine. I don't have a plex pass so I'm not able to (as far as I know) mess with any user permissions so I'm at a loss.

People you share with don't have access to your server settings. It's only people listed in the "my home" section that can access your server settings.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I was just lazy and using the browser interface on my remotes (and one Roku) but using the client itself obviously solves that problem. Thanks for all the great info!

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I recall being able to add rotten tomatoes to agents but its not there anymore. Is it still possible to add this as a metadata source?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Lately, my PS3 has been taking a while (~10 minutes) to show the Plex DLNA server. Why might this be happening, and is there anything I can do to speed up the process?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

hooah posted:

Lately, my PS3 has been taking a while (~10 minutes) to show the Plex DLNA server. Why might this be happening, and is there anything I can do to speed up the process?

Have you updated your Plex Media Server recently?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

teagone posted:

Have you updated your Plex Media Server recently?

It's set to automatically update, and when I just told it to check for updates nothing happened.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

hooah posted:

It's set to automatically update, and when I just told it to check for updates nothing happened.

There could be an issue with the most recent PMS release then. You could try rolling back to a previous version and see if that remedies the issue. If it does, then bring it up on the Plex forums for sure. Here are the archived releases of PMS https://plex.tv/downloads/1/archive

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I currently only have Seinfeld in my Plex server but its not pulling any metadata what-so-ever for it. All the episodes are just named Episode 1, Episode 2, etc...

My episodes are also named Seinfeld.S01E03.Title, etc. What's the trick here?

Do folders need to be named appropriately too?

dedian
Sep 2, 2011

Tomahawk posted:

I currently only have Seinfeld in my Plex server but its not pulling any metadata what-so-ever for it. All the episodes are just named Episode 1, Episode 2, etc...

My episodes are also named Seinfeld.S01E03.Title, etc. What's the trick here?

Do folders need to be named appropriately too?

You're doing this, right?

https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200220687-Naming-Series-Season-Based-TV-Shows

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Has Plex always put specials on deck? I've not noticed it until a show I'm watching at the moment. Maybe it's because most specials don't have a date associated with them, or I've only got specials for seasons I've already seen. It works perfectly for this particular show, as I want to watch everything in date order, but it would be really annoying for some I think.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Recently I've been using Plex on my android phone to get music off my desktop and cast it to my Chromecast. After one of the recent updates, my phone will no longer change songs, but what's actually playing on the Chromecast does. Anyone have an idea of what to do to fix this? I can't find anything on Google. My server is at Version 0.9.12.8 and phone is 4.8.0.389 (Android 5.1)

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Deeters posted:

Recently I've been using Plex on my android phone to get music off my desktop and cast it to my Chromecast. After one of the recent updates, my phone will no longer change songs, but what's actually playing on the Chromecast does. Anyone have an idea of what to do to fix this? I can't find anything on Google. My server is at Version 0.9.12.8 and phone is 4.8.0.389 (Android 5.1)

I don't use Plex for music, but that just sounds like a recent update bug between a PMS update and the Android app not getting updated to match maybe. I suggest bringing it up in on the Plex forums and hoping a dev or someone on the technical team can respond (they're usually on top of things). In the meantime, you could roll back your server version to see if it that actually remedies the issue: https://plex.tv/downloads/1/archive

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 9, 2015

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Really big update just hit for iOS: https://blog.plex.tv/2015/08/10/our-shiny-new-ios-app/

I'm still partial to Kodi/XBMC, but darn Plex does look nice.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Anyone else having password issues? I got the new iOS app downloaded and it wanted me to login, but it won't take my password. I went to my Plex server, it was logged in, so, I signed out and tried to log back in, and it's not taking the password either. I'm going to try a reset, but am curious if I'm a special snowflake or there are troubles.

edit: Resetting the PW fixed worked. They must have changed the password policy.

porktree fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 10, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

porktree posted:

Anyone else having password issues? I got the new iOS app downloaded and it wanted me to login, but it won't take my password. I went to my Plex server, it was logged in, so, I signed out and tried to log back in, and it's not taking the password either. I'm going to try a reset, but am curious if I'm a special snowflake or there are troubles.

edit: Resetting the PW fixed worked. They must have changed the password policy.

No password issues on my end, but the web app has been very slow to load for me today.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

teagone posted:

No password issues on my end, but the web app has been very slow to load for me today.

I think it was "me" - I had an old 7 char password, and it looks like forcing me to relogin after getting the new app denied the pw. Once I reset to a more secure password, everything worked fine.

Also - PSA - if you haven't updated your server version you'll need to in order for your devices to attach to the library. I always forget about the server tab for the server update since the web update is so prominent when you enter settings.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They had a breach a while ago I think so everyone has to change their password, but the tokens on things that had authed already remained logged in. Took me ages to realise too.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Vinlaen posted:

Really big update just hit for iOS: https://blog.plex.tv/2015/08/10/our-shiny-new-ios-app/

I'm still partial to Kodi/XBMC, but darn Plex does look nice.

Just from the UI the new design is very nice, very clean.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Whoops, wrong thread!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Newest Android client released on the 6th has issues on nvidia shield TV and possibly other Android TV devices. MKV files have micro stutters and some videos won't pause correctly; video pauses but audio keeps playing.

Besides that, it also added support for hardware decoding of HEVC/h265 on the Shield TV.

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice

porktree posted:

Yeah, I am having the same problem after the iOS app automatically updated. Unfortunately I'm not getting an email from them to reset my password. :(

edit - nvm, I searched my email account and found the alert from them and that had a reset link that worked. Annoying that the one on the login screen doesn't seem to be working, but at least I got it working again.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

EL BROMANCE posted:

They had a breach a while ago I think so everyone has to change their password, but the tokens on things that had authed already remained logged in. Took me ages to realise too.

I remember that now, and thinking to myself "thats to much efffooooort". Hoist by my own petard, as they say in the navy. (I know).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Why does Plex get all of my TV stuff wrong when it tries to tag it? Like not even close to being right?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
Any word on when the new roku stuff is going in or is that ui refresh still Plex pass preview only?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

TheJoker138 posted:

Why does Plex get all of my TV stuff wrong when it tries to tag it? Like not even close to being right?

Plex likes stuff named and organized a certain way. https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/categories/200028098-Media-Preparation

If you're already organized that way ( tv directory --> show name --> season --> episdoes in that season labeled properly) Maybe there's another show with the same name causing problems.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I never have problems and I just have all of the files for a particular tv show in one folder not divided into seasons. The filename doesn't even matter much as long as it's got s01e01 or 1x01 in the name. Tons of shows are just in a folder with the name of the show, and the files are s01e01.mkv. Still others have episode names, etc.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I was already pretty meticulous with how I organized my files, but Plex forced me to become even more OCD, haha. I have 99.9% accuracy in metadata though; I rarely have to re-match a movie or show unless it's something super obscure or Plex confuses an old show for the remake (The Flash, Shamless).

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
My TV folder is a loving mess of nonsense with random episodes of disparate shows in the root folder and seasons of other shows in their own folders. And it all scrapes. I consider myself lucky.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
new plex app for iOS is great.

Im still failing to get the plex metadata scraper to use my local files. Ive followed this https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200220677-Local-Media-Assets-Movies to a tee. still nothing.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Cornjob posted:

new plex app for iOS is great.

Im still failing to get the plex metadata scraper to use my local files. Ive followed this https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200220677-Local-Media-Assets-Movies to a tee. still nothing.

Is your library set to use your personal media as the primary agent? See below:

Maybe that might fix your issues.

[edit] Another option is since the Plex forums got a major overhaul, it's become a pretty good place to ask a question and have the Plex community and devs try and help you sort out any issues.

teagone fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 11, 2015

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Roundboy posted:

Any word on when the new roku stuff is going in or is that ui refresh still Plex pass preview only?

Nope, it's been 6 months though so one would hope soon.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I'm not the least OCD about my files or metadata and I have almost no issues.

My only suggestion is to keep TV and movies in separate base folders, and in most cases sporting events go in with movies unless they are an episodic show.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Really like the interface of the new player but drat if it doesn't have some user issues/bugs that need serious attention. Mainly my problem is with sync and how I can't just turn off my data at the gym and see my synced content from the home screen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

suddenlyissoon posted:

Really like the interface of the new player but drat if it doesn't have some user issues/bugs that need serious attention. Mainly my problem is with sync and how I can't just turn off my data at the gym and see my synced content from the home screen.

Tap the menu, tap the offline server (top left) which will say offline if in airplane mode, then change it to the phone. Et voila!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

havenwaters posted:

Plex likes stuff named and organized a certain way. https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/categories/200028098-Media-Preparation

If you're already organized that way ( tv directory --> show name --> season --> episdoes in that season labeled properly) Maybe there's another show with the same name causing problems.

The folders are all correct, but how they want the episodes named is not. And I am not going through and renaming all that crap. Ugh. Thanks anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheJoker138 posted:

The folders are all correct, but how they want the episodes named is not. And I am not going through and renaming all that crap. Ugh. Thanks anyway.

Lazy. Lazy. Lazy.