Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Jackard posted:

Last I checked, Dwarf Fortress updates were larger and more frequent than Starbound

You can't really compare Dwarf Fortress to Starbound and Toady is...I don't know how to describe Toady other than "a beautifully insane gem we should cherish and nurture."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You can't really compare Dwarf Fortress to Starbound and Toady is...I don't know how to describe Toady other than "a beautifully insane gem we should cherish and nurture."

Also, Dwarf Fortress has a fanbase

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
Supernorn and Metadept and folks are cool and good - they ain't the problem here

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Orv posted:

The dream of a playable Space Station 13 died at least in part for Starbound. That cannot be forgiven.

I think if there's enough interest it'll probably happen in some capacity. I'd definitely still be up for it, but I can't do it alone. It'd need a proper team of people and not just a bunch of us from goonstation (who quickly run out of free time).

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao at my thread

Jackard posted:

Last I checked, Dwarf Fortress updates were larger and more frequent than Starbound

where did you check, the Wrong Store

larger yes, more frequent no

so, the Mostly Wrong Store then

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Aug 11, 2015

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
otoh isn't dwarf fortress still a 1man gig that he does in his spare time also its free?

glad to hear it, lots of people seem to really like that game
VVV

Ahundredbux fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 11, 2015

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's less in his spare time and more 'a full time job' now since he gets enough donations to live vaguely comfortably or some poo poo. i think notch should stop donating to random poo poo and donate money to toady.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ahundredbux posted:

otoh isn't dwarf fortress still a 1man gig that he does in his spare time also its free?

glad to hear it, lots of people seem to really like that game
VVV

It started as a hobby and still kind of sort of is. It's a weird story; Toady was actually a math professor at a college but couldn't handle the social interaction required for that sort of thing because he's an extreme recluse. He made the game that him and his brother wanted after the other hobbyish things he did and posted it online in case other people might like it. He's said more than once that he was going to work on Dwarf Fortress in his spare time no matter what but since people have been literally just throwing money at him his response was "OK this is my job now."

Turns out a great many people did, in fact, greatly enjoy Dwarf Fortress and there still isn't anything out there quite like it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's nice, because it's obvious that the guy has a gift of sorts and it's produced the type of thing that a lot of people really enjoy, so him being able to live off of that is cool.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

As socially akward as Toady is, he is a cool no-bullshit guy. The only drama that happens is how he codes some of the stuff in DF but that's it.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
toady lives of fast food and liquid sugar and never exercises, if i remember right

he will die long before he can get DF to a state in which he could consider it finished

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
that is terrible

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
if he wasn't an eccentric nerd with no regards to his own wellbeing dwarf fortress would be starbound makes u think

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

if he wasn't an eccentric nerd with no regards to his own wellbeing dwarf fortress would be starbound makes u think

So he'd be rich and not particularly beholden to his customers to accomplish anything?

I guess the second part is true at least.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
no only the game portion would be true sadly since he started before kickstarter

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
to reiterate the game would be bad

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I don't know what you just said but Starbound is a bad game.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's kind of how software works, though. Nightly builds are unstable garbage where you just build whatever happens to be there no matter how badly it functions. They aren't proper versions. A developer releasing nightlies is more "hey if you ever wanted to see how bad games are before they're released take a look!" than actual releases.

It seems entirely too convenient and misleading to say that they aren't updating the game however even if the unstable branch is well.. Unstable. It makes it sound like the team isn't working on it at all if you completely ignore the work they are doing. I'm not even trying to defend the game when I say this either. I'm pretty disappointed in the direction the game has been going as well, however spreading blatant misinformation and hyperbole really doesn't seem to help anybody. Especially when theres games out there that the devs have stopped working on their game entirely.

That said, I kinda understand that way of thinking. Unstable builds aren't very functional for the playerbase, and thus practically don't exist since many don't bother with them at all.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
honestly if you want a serious discussion about starbound perhaps this is not the best venue for you?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

the nighlty updates are just recompiling and downloading the same thing every day. according to the official starbound wiki nothing has actually been added to the nightlies since june 12

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

Kly posted:

the nighlty updates are just recompiling and downloading the same thing every day. according to the official starbound wiki nothing has actually been added to the nightlies since june 12

We post exactly what's going into our nightlies, every single day on our website. The wiki might not always be completely up to date, but I'm not sure where you're seeing that.

http://starbounder.org/Version_History/Nightly

Kernel Monsoon fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 11, 2015

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

this is what was given to me when i asked about what was actually going into nightlies a year ago

Kly fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 11, 2015

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Kly posted:

this is what was given to me when i asked about what was actually going into nightlies a year ago

Some of those changes went in just this week, It looks like whoever is maintaining it is tracking the nightlies as one entire 'version' instead of piecing it out based on every single night of change. Which is understandable, that would be a slog of a loving thing to look at.

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
That entire list is all stuff added since June, as far as I know. The nighty build is named 'Pleased Giraffe'. I can see why it's confusing though, because the date and the build name appears halfway down.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

oh ok my bad

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

This actually looks pretty good, I like the new backgrounds. The game looks a lot better at dusk/night, I'm not a huge fan of the palette in general but I really like how muted it gets in lower light levels.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Babe Magnet posted:

This actually looks pretty good, I like the new backgrounds. The game looks a lot better at dusk/night, I'm not a huge fan of the palette in general but I really like how muted it gets in lower light levels.

I like the atmosphere, and the fact that it's not overlit. I always wished I could have a dimmer switch (and a color picker) on my lights in Terraria to stop from turning everything into a flood light.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey, so Terraria just came out for mac. Until it's finished, I now REALLY have no reason to bother with Starbound. I've never seriously played Terraria before, looking forward to it.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
I hope you have fun :)

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Anybody know if it's possible to mod Starbound to have normal platformer-style acceleration instead of hitting top speed the instant you press A or D. I've messed around with quite a few variables but no luck.

Or if Supernorn is willing to respond, the controls feel really slippery to me. I've seen a lot of people use the word "floaty." Is there any plan to update basic movement/control eventually or is it "good enough" in Chucklefish's eyes?

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

King Lazer posted:

Or if Supernorn is willing to respond, the controls feel really slippery to me. I've seen a lot of people use the word "floaty." Is there any plan to update basic movement/control eventually or is it "good enough" in Chucklefish's eyes?

Nothing is ever good enough in Chucklefish's eyes, two patches from now movement will be only available through a quest line where you have to water plants manually using your matter manipulator that can only mine dirt

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Has anyone else experienced difficulty in using the dash tech? Like, I gotta just MASH left a bunch to energy dash

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
I'm glad Starbound exists, and I eagerly await its completion.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
Does starbound have a release date yet?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Kly posted:

Theyve said they can continue working on starbound for NINE YEARS without any additional income, that was about a year ago. So starbound will be v1.0 in eight years and will be pretty much the same as it is now but with more grinding.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Okay, but after THIS long-delayed update, stable updates will be coming thick and fast!

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006
We just pushed a build to unstable. Stable build will follow hopefully in the next few days!

Patch Notes Here.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Supernorn posted:

We just pushed a build to unstable. Stable build will follow hopefully in the next few days!

Patch Notes Here.

Huh, randomly came back in the thread for the first time in a while. Nice post to come in to. The colony stuff looks cool.

...still not gonna play until it's finished, but that's nothing against the game. I'm just way, way burnt out on half-finished sandbox games. I'm hopeful.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

King Lazer posted:

Anybody know if it's possible to mod Starbound to have normal platformer-style acceleration instead of hitting top speed the instant you press A or D. I've messed around with quite a few variables but no luck.

I don't remember the exact variables off the top of my head, but you should be able to get something where you don't start out at top speed. There's just a lot of inner workings you have to fiddle with, including wacky poo poo like drag from air friction (really) so if you just change a few of the walk speed variables but you miss something important, you might not see the change you're looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Double posts in the starbound thread are extremely illegal

• Locked thread