Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The ninth Hellraiser movie was an ashcan copy thrown out there because Dimension was about to lose the rights. They made it in three weeks and had one showing for the cast & crew so it was technically released in theaters.

I've heard stuff about some remake but I didn't think Barker was involved. I thought because he lost the rights that he was supposed to do a "spiritual remake" based on these gross toys he made with Todd McFarlane but I doubt that will ever happen either.

david_a fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
What happens when a studio "loses the rights"? You hear about that kind of thing all the time w/r/t superhero franchises.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
When a studio buys the rights to a property, sometimes there's a clause in the contract that if they don't exploit the property within X number of years, the rights revert to the original owner.

So say WB wants to make a Sandman movie. They buy the rights from either DC or Neil Gaiman (probably DC) with the caveat that they release a Sandman film theatrically within eight years. If they haven't got something out in that time, then they have to acquire the rights again. But DC, of course, doesn't have to sell them to WB; if Disney makes a better offer, WB is SOL.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Apparently they don't even have to release the movie in some cases, like with Roger Corman's infamous Fantastic Four.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

An impressive mask:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P_FJRduLYY

Snak posted:

Bloodline has no redeeming qualities whatsoever and shits all over the franchise's mythos up to the point. So it's not surprising that seeing that piece of poo poo turned you off of the whole franchise.

Do you mean in how it tries to explain the origin of the boxes in too much detail? I thought it was really crippled by trying to tell a story smoothly in three separate time periods as that's something very few films succeed at doing. I did like most of the segments dealing with the past. I can't say the same for the present day and future scenes however.

Snak posted:

That's the merchant. He is the guy who (usually) sells the puzzle box to the next person. The mythology of the Hellraiser films is pretty loose. The only good films are Hellraiser, Hellraiser II: Hellbound, and Hellraiser: Inferno. Honorable mentions to Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth, for having a few neat ideas of Pinhead's backstory and a great soundtrack, and Hellraiser: Hellseeker for sort of bringing back an original character. Both movies are still garbage though, as are the rest.

I remember liking Hellraiser: Hellseeker. I know some didn't like what they did with the returning character but at least it wasn't a complete retread and I bought the changes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR8mGr9bKvo

I love the first two films of course and I felt they really tapped into the human psyche with the characters:

Uncle Frank: "It’s never enough."

Dr. Channard: "And to think... I hesitated."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That looks really good

quote:

Do you mean in how it tries to explain the origin of the boxes in too much detail? I thought it was really crippled by trying to tell a story smoothly in three separate time periods as that's something very few films succeed at doing. I did like most of the segments dealing with the past. I can't say the same for the present day and future scenes however.
I basically hated the idea that the maker of the puzzle box wast tricked into making it without understanding what it does. This isn't really implied anywhere in the franchise and the generational "redemption" arc is not interesting at all. Basically I think the central idea of the story is really dumb, and even moreso because they didn't have the budget to make any of the ideas really look good. All of the other Hellraiser films are about the weakness of human nature, sadomasochistic lust, sex addiction, etc, while Bloodline is about... the good guys winning? Hell on Earth kind of does this too, with the idea that the Cenobites literally invading our world because they are evil, rather than appearing because people want them to.

quote:

I remember liking Hellraiser: Hellseeker. I know some didn't like what they did with the returning character but at least it wasn't a complete retread and I bought the changes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR8mGr9bKvo
Hellseeker is okay. It's strange watching it immediately after Inferno because it's story structure is very similar. I have joked that it's the same movie as Inferno with all of the violence replaced with sex(ual violence). The last time I rewatched it, I felt that it didn't hold up compared to Inferno. It also suffers from caring too much about the "twist", but It's definitly head an shoulders above crap like Deader and Hellworld, which I don't even consider real sequels.

quote:

I love the first two films of course and I felt they really tapped into the human psyche with the characters:

Uncle Frank: "It’s never enough."

Dr. Channard: "And to think... I hesitated."
Agreed. The first two are really quality horror/dramas. Well put together stories about human nature. The crazy gore effects were what made them popular, of course, and I think that paved the way for most of the sequels to be so bad.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

I didn't know masks had joined the upscale nerd market, but I love the idea of paying $600 so you can be Wen Chang the Asian

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

morestuff posted:

I didn't know masks had joined the upscale nerd market, but I love the idea of paying $600 so you can be Wen Chang the Asian

holy poo poo the facial hair and eyebrows cost $200 more. The fact that this quality of makeup prosthetic is available to consumers now is pretty awesome, though.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Snak posted:

...but It's definitly head an shoulders above crap like Deader and Hellworld, which I don't even consider real sequels.

The only way to make sense of Deader is to realize the title is referring to the franchise itself. I suppose I found a tiny bit of humor in the idiocy of Hellword. Pinhead hacked my website..uhoh!

I see all nine films are on Netflix Instant right now so I'll have to watch part nine (as you made it sound somewhat funny). I might check if part 3 is in its proper ratio as I've only seen it in 4:3.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Hellworld is passable as a stand-alone horror-mystery flick. It's just not passable as a Hellraiser film.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Snak posted:

Hellworld is passable as a stand-alone horror-mystery flick. It's just not passable as a Hellraiser film.

Also it's fun to see Henry Cavill in it.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
I've always felt like an idiot for not knowing this, but why is "Independence Day" abbreviated "ID4"?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Shanty posted:

I've always felt like an idiot for not knowing this, but why is "Independence Day" abbreviated "ID4"?
"Immediately before filming the scene, Devlin and Pullman decided to add "Today, we celebrate our Independence Day!" to the end of the speech. At the time, the production was nicknamed "ID4" because Warner Bros. owned the rights to the title Independence Day, and Devlin had hoped if Fox executives noticed the addition in dailies, the impact of the new dialogue would help them win the rights to the title. The right to use the title was eventually won two weeks later."

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

The official explanation at least lets you know what the origin of "ID4" is but I still think it's weird how ubiquitous that abbreviation became even if the pre-movie buzz was huge. I wanted to say that they used ID4 in some of the advertising but I can't seem to find any examples. The only real example I can find that is actually associated with the released film itself is that it says ID4 above the Independence Day title on the movie cover with the White House explosion, but I don't think that was one of the original posters.

It reminds me of how people called the original Playstation the PSX, which always baffled me when I was younger (and that one has a similar explanation, the prototype was internally called the PSX for Playstation Experimental).

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Thanks guys. It wasn't really referred to by that name in my country, so the first time I heard that was in Will Smith's "Don't Say Nothin'", which was confusing. Maybe that helped spread the name.

It still doesn't make sense to me, though. Why not call it "ID" and is the four just in reference to July 4th? I feel like I'm missing something, but maybe it is just a dumb placeholder name.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I always thought it was just kind of cool shorthand for the movie that stuck as vernacular.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ror posted:

The official explanation at least lets you know what the origin of "ID4" is but I still think it's weird how ubiquitous that abbreviation became even if the pre-movie buzz was huge. I wanted to say that they used ID4 in some of the advertising but I can't seem to find any examples. The only real example I can find that is actually associated with the released film itself is that it says ID4 above the Independence Day title on the movie cover with the White House explosion, but I don't think that was one of the original posters.

It reminds me of how people called the original Playstation the PSX, which always baffled me when I was younger (and that one has a similar explanation, the prototype was internally called the PSX for Playstation Experimental).

They used the ID4 shorthand in the Danish trailers back when it came out. I also seem to remember buying the tie-in comic at the time, which I'm pretty sure was called "ID4: Independence Day".

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Shanty posted:

Why not call it "ID" and is the four just in reference to July 4th? I feel like I'm missing something, but maybe it is just a dumb placeholder name.

The abbreviation "ID" is probably too strongly associated with the word "identifier".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Ror posted:

"ID4" was on all the merch and toys that were out before the movie even hit theaters.

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

I saw it in a theater in New Jersey on opening night, and all the posters for it had ID4 blazoned across them in big red typeface, so it was definitely part of the official advertising for release.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

If I remember right, the early stuff had the ID4 branding and the later stuff used the full title.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
But even when they started using the full title, they ALSO used ID4. As you can see on those posters.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs
Alright, well that goes way beyond "oddly catchy dumb placeholder". Did that make sense to anyone when they saw it? "ID4"? Is this a sequel to "ID3"? Ah, I'm getting way too hung up on this. I was just hoping there was a better explanation.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I'll be honest, I didn't see it on the orange one until you mentioned it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shanty posted:

Alright, well that goes way beyond "oddly catchy dumb placeholder". Did that make sense to anyone when they saw it? "ID4"? Is this a sequel to "ID3"? Ah, I'm getting way too hung up on this. I was just hoping there was a better explanation.

I think you actually hit on an important aspect of it, it's definitely the kind of thing that seems psychologically unsatisfying when you hear it at first. ID4? Did I miss something? I must be missing out if I don't get all caught up on the ID4 stuff and whatnot.

I bet not an insignificant number of people had the reaction: "I am probably supposed to know what the hell ID4 is supposed to mean".

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Shanty posted:

This is america. We just accept that names exist for marketing and make no sense. It confused me as a child, and at first I assumed that it must have been some kind of abbreviation that I was dumb too get. Now I know the truth: the names of things are just marketing jargon that has no bearing on reality. See "organic vegetables" "HD" "Drones" "this food is 100 calories" and generally anything anyone says about nutrition.

There's words that regular people and marketing people use, and then there's words that are correct and accurate. They are not related.

edit: I think ID4 had a couple things going for it: first of all, "what is ID4?" this was back in the dial-up days, pre-google, so ACTUAL word-of-mouth buzz was a big thing. Secondly, you weren't confusing ID4 with anything else. No one was doing the "numbers as letters" in movie titles yet, so it's not like people were wondering if it was supposed to be "IDA". Lastly, once it was named Independence Day, the 4 was "obviously" because of 4th of July. duh. And it wasn't called out as dumb because it was a giant loving blockbuster like no one had ever seen.

Snak fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 10, 2015

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think you actually hit on an important aspect of it, it's definitely the kind of thing that seems psychologically unsatisfying when you hear it at first. ID4? Did I miss something? I must be missing out if I don't get all caught up on the ID4 stuff and whatnot.

I bet not an insignificant number of people had the reaction: "I am probably supposed to know what the hell ID4 is supposed to mean".

This is exactly how I've felt since I heard Will Smith sing about it back in '98, and I have to admit it took a non-zero amount of courage to ask about it here, so that's sold.

Snak posted:

This is america. We just accept that names exist for marketing and make no sense. It confused me as a child, and at first I assumed that it must have been some kind of abbreviation that I was dumb too get. Now I know the truth: the names of things are just marketing jargon that has no bearing on reality. See "organic vegetables" "HD" "Drones" "this food is 100 calories" and generally anything anyone says about nutrition.

There's words that regular people and marketing people use, and then there's words that are correct and accurate. They are not related.

edit: I think ID4 had a couple things going for it: first of all, "what is ID4?" this was back in the dial-up days, pre-google, so ACTUAL word-of-mouth buzz was a big thing. Secondly, you weren't confusing ID4 with anything else. No one was doing the "numbers as letters" in movie titles yet, so it's not like people were wondering if it was supposed to be "IDA". Lastly, once it was named Independence Day, the 4 was "obviously" because of 4th of July. duh. And it wasn't called out as dumb because it was a giant loving blockbuster like no one had ever seen.

I also agree with all of this, except that don't think I made the July 4th connection at the time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, I agree with all of that.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
I think you're all putting way too much thought into it. I don't recall any confusion at the time, everyone accepted ID4 was a mashup of "independence day" and "4th of July". It's not like that's an obscure relationship in American culture. Tie that in with the release date of... wait for it... July 4th and the abbreviation made sense in that marketing logic way.

edit: ok it came out on July 2nd but you get the idea. I guarantee there were approximately zero people thinking "ID4? What about the other 3?" It's like that dumb Malcolm X joke.

Dr Monkeysee fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 10, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Marketing logic had a meeting about it. This is the kind of thing marketing people think about.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
Sure someone had to make it up and that might be an odd train of thought. But to the question "what did ID4 mean? was anyone confused about it?" the answer is no, no one was confused about it. The association is obvious.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Not confused, but like I'm saying, it's meant to make you think "Who the hell is Gabbo?"

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I was confused about it, although only retroactively I guess since I was too young to care when it came out.

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 10, 2015

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I've been looking for the first six movies in the Morgan Freeman Brad Pitt buddy cop septilogy culminating in Se7en. Little help?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
The Xbox One is the first Xbox

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I remember having that reaction. I also remember reacting to that reaction with the idea that this was something associated with a loving highly hyped Hollywood blockbuster, for God's sake, so I didn't give a poo poo.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
One Weird Trick.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Not that it's important, but since there are people who don't remember the toys, this is what the packaging looked like:

space-man
Jan 3, 2007
a man, like any other... but in space!
i had no clue there were toys. although i do remember seeing some sort of prequel book in the library once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Probably the only time Bill Pullman was made into an action figure: