Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Game is open to everyone now w/o a code if you just sign up. Don't forget #risingthunder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praxis19
Nov 4, 2009

No justice no peace ACAB

Tae posted:

Is there a single thing that a competent Crow does that's unsafe on block, or am I just going to eat 50% damage combos each time I guess wrong?

Not really unsafe on block, but Crow can't keep his pressure going indefinitely. If you just block, he'll get pushed out. Watch closely to see if they try and throw another disc to restart pressure, that's usually either punishable if they try and charge the disc (grab them if you can so the disc doesn't hit you out of your punish, or sweep them if you can) or at least escapable by backdash if they throw an uncharged disc. They can spend kinetic to stay on you and punish attempts to get out.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
http://risingthunder.com/2015/08/11/patch-notes-build-1263/

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Talos' new S1 not being KA cancellable is a pretty big reduction to damage and reset options, but I guess there's no reason not to mess around with it

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Still can't play this game.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

A.o.D. posted:

Still can't play this game.

Get a better PC, scrub.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So what's the layman terms on the balance changes?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

teagone posted:

Get a better PC, scrub.

PC's pretty good. scrub .

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

PC's pretty good. scrub .

Looks like you need a new keyboard. Get that space before the period poo poo outta here.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Tae posted:

So what's the layman terms on the balance changes?

The anti-air/reversal thingies now leave the guy stunned less time on block, which means cancelling a blocked Chel SA2 - for example - into a dash forward means you can't press a button before they can press one. It's still safe tho.

Also, those same moves don't hit behind the character, so I guess crossups are more powerful now?

(most changes boil down to this, really)

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
So when they say that DP moves don't hit behind anymore, does that mean they reduced the hitboxes, or they reduced autocorrect leniency? Hoping it's the latter.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Talos' new S1 is insanely good

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Jmcrofts posted:

So when they say that DP moves don't hit behind anymore, does that mean they reduced the hitboxes, or they reduced autocorrect leniency? Hoping it's the latter.

They still autocorrect like loving drat so I doubt that's it.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
When people are using KD; What dictates which moves get the Burst effect or not? I ask because weirdly, when as Chel I do fH fM s2, it doesn't seem to.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
This is my first fighting game and still feel the initial learning curve is too steep, at least for me.

Combined with pings of 200-400, first impressions could have been better.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Grimwall posted:

This is my first fighting game and still feel the initial learning curve is too steep, at least for me.

Combined with pings of 200-400, first impressions could have been better.

If that is your average pings either no one around you is playing or issue is on your end.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah the vast majority of my games are around ping 65-90, with maybe 10-15% of my games touching 150 and I don't think I've seen worse than that, certainly not regularly.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

Draynar posted:

If that is your average pings either no one around you is playing or issue is on your end.

No one around me is playing, once I got 30 ping and he was from my country (Turkey).

However, this thing is too complicated for me, if this is the simplest fighter there is they are apparently not for me!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Grimwall posted:

No one around me is playing, once I got 30 ping and he was from my country (Turkey).

However, this thing is too complicated for me, if this is the simplest fighter there is they are apparently not for me!

The simplest fighter is actually Divekick.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Grimwall posted:

A friend of mine played it recently and found it complicated as well (and it's weird because he has played other fighters as well), so you're not alone on this . It will probably help when they add a tutorial later on.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Grimwall posted:

Despite the game being one button inputs it doesn't do anything to really explain to a new user what to do or more importantly what not to do. It's not the simplest by far.

As the game is so based on SF4 it has a lot of baggage, I always found exploring a new fighting game with somebody of similar skill helps ease into a game (currently not possible with no lobbies!).

Don't give up on fighting games just based on this one!

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
That change to Talos really has made him loving stupid, between armoured normals and a genuine just mashable SPD, and it shows in the way that suddenly all of the Crows have vanished, and he's loving everywhere.

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Either it's me switching to Windows 10 or the game updating but for some reason joy2key doesn't work anymore

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I really don't understand how adding more buttons for simple things like throws and supers is supposed to be easier but I guess I'm just not a fighting game genius. I wish I could just press two of the other buttons at once instead.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mintergalactic posted:

Either it's me switching to Windows 10 or the game updating but for some reason joy2key doesn't work anymore

I'm on Windows 10 and xpadder still works fine for me. You sure you're running joy2key as admin?

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

teagone posted:

I'm on Windows 10 and xpadder still works fine for me. You sure you're running joy2key as admin?

It might have been me not properly exiting out of the program and then re-running it as administrator since it closes to the tray, I'll try again and report back later

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5BeVs3ODaE

Here's S-Kill doing an interview about the game talking a lot about why they did they things they did and what they want to happen in general. It's a bit long but generally pretty interesting!

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Shockeh posted:

That change to Talos really has made him loving stupid, between armoured normals and a genuine just mashable SPD, and it shows in the way that suddenly all of the Crows have vanished, and he's loving everywhere.

I main crow and I thought I was just a wimpy rear end in a top hat when my very first game since the patch was against Talos with the new move and I got so frustrated I haven't played since. There's probably some way I can change my playstyle to work around it, but... god drat.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

back dash a lot and hit him in the face with your longest reaching normal. if you can cancel that into something real for damage even better

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

NecroMonster posted:

back dash a lot and hit him in the face with your longest reaching normal. if you can cancel that into something real for damage even better

*Get hit by armoured kick into {DENIED} into clap reset*

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Ya Talos is pretty crazy to deal with now his mind games are rough and pay really big. Specially when you go against those that don't just throw out F.H w/o a KA cancel.

Also #risingthunder to rage with rest of us.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Something Seth talks about in that interview is that he believes that kinetic advance is not the best option 100% of the time. He doesn't get too specific but he mentions that he thinks there are and will be match ups where choosing kinetic deflect will be significantly more advantageous even if you have your KA combos and DP shenanigans down.

In light of this idea I think I'm going to start taking deflect versus Vlad as Dauntless. That honestly feels like her worst matchup because the risk/reward on everything that can happen once he gets in the air is way in his favor and his damage from super comes big and easy. I don't think I'll miss comboing off throw or DP against him since they are both generally poo poo ideas 99% of the time in that match up.

I might try taking her new s1 as well against him, maybe I can use it to armor through something into a juggle as anti air?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
i started playing this and am fighting the world with dauntless and beat a talos with expert footsies and feel good

what the gently caress is kinetic advance and how do i use it or deflect

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

i started playing this and am fighting the world with dauntless and beat a talos with expert footsies and feel good

what the gently caress is kinetic advance and how do i use it or deflect

You can choose between Kinetic Advance or Deflect when you set your moves. Advance allows you to cancel certain moves with a dash in any direction or a jump. Deflect lets you break out from a combo. They both use the little blue meter at the bottom of your screen.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What buttons to i press to activate these wonderful moves

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

Advance is just an FADC, you hold up or do a dash to activate it, and deflect is 2 buttons when you're in hitstun

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, that, sorry it wasn't clearer also I kinda forgot how to do Deflect because I used it once, hehe.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ty friends

Mintergalactic
Dec 26, 2012

deflect is for nerds, who needs a burst when you can have MORE DAMAGE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

funny story i'm not actually sure that using it is worth it for dauntless, it doesn't really get you much extra damage at all

• Locked thread