Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Drifter posted:

What he said was so hyperbolic and sarcastic it's pretty silly to think he was being literal. Of COURSE you can't label frosted flakes as having ten calories a serving and that it's made from chicken tenders and pvc pipe.

What you CAN do is advertise it in such a confusing way as to make the claims meaningless, and create confusing poo poo like changing serving size to unrealistically small amounts to make nutritional claims seem true when they're really absolutely not, or hide behind different names of ingredients. And there's not much useful information given to create distinctions between substitutes, either.

There's no need to get pedantic over a sarcastic comment that was clearly sarcastic. Especially when it's correct in spirit, if not law.

Ah, no that is exactly where he is wrong. The leading rule in labeling is that it can not mislead the consumer. Honestly, if this was something that you do for a living you would see why it gets pretty pedantic. I'm not trying to be a bitch here, but I spend a hell of a lot of time working with my labeling team, my marketing team and my vendor partners to label properly. It has to be accurate down to the size of the font. Really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009

Drifter posted:

What he said was so hyperbolic and sarcastic it's pretty silly to think he was being literal. Of COURSE you can't label frosted flakes as having ten calories a serving and that it's made from chicken tenders and pvc pipe.

What you CAN do is advertise it in such a confusing way as to make the claims meaningless, and create confusing poo poo like changing serving size to unrealistically small amounts to make nutritional claims seem true when they're really absolutely not, or hide behind different names of ingredients. And there's not much useful information given to create distinctions between substitutes, either.

There's no need to get pedantic over a sarcastic comment that was clearly sarcastic. Especially when it's correct in spirit, if not law.

Oh and also, serving sizes are regulated by the FDA. You can't artificially minimize them. The more you know....

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^ - brb, gonna go eat my 4 oz labelled serving of ice cream. Thankfully it's only lightly sweetened.

Roxy Rouge posted:

Ah, no that is exactly where he is wrong. The leading rule in labeling is that it can not mislead the consumer. Honestly, if this was something that you do for a living you would see why it gets pretty pedantic. I'm not trying to be a bitch here, but I spend a hell of a lot of time working with my labeling team, my marketing team and my vendor partners to label properly. It has to be accurate down to the size of the font. Really.

Label is that little nutrition box as well as the advertising surrounding the product. Confusion and obfuscation are the primary selling tactic used by companies to purchase their food product over another.

Kudos if your company doesn't do that.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 9, 2015

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Drifter posted:

I enjoy my fat free, naturally sweetened, all-grain frosted flakes thank you very much.

I am certain with that many modifiers on it that it has to be good for me to consume on a constant basis.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Have a bunch of celery greens lying around. Any of you ever try to make pesto with them? I'm wondering if I should blanch the leaves first and/or possibly cut it with honey to take out some of the bitterness.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

exquisite tea posted:

Have a bunch of celery greens lying around. Any of you ever try to make pesto with them? I'm wondering if I should blanch the leaves first and/or possibly cut it with honey to take out some of the bitterness.

I'd never made pesto with them before, but I'd caramelize them, first. Oh, celery leaf. I'd add mustard and ginger before thinking about adding honey and the like. I don't think you'd need to add any sweetener, just a nice, strong cheese.

I honestly don't know how celery pesto would turn out. You're definitely right about that bitterness.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Captainsalami posted:

Hey guys, having a slight lack of funds recently so looking to eat on the cheap without dying. What would you guys recommend? I have access to a shitload of white rice saved from a purchase a good year ago and sealed in a large tupperware container. I just don't wanna have huge sodium issues from say, ramen or lack of nutrition. My spice rack is well stocked if that helps.

Been making this as my regular starch for two months now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHYmOefRNLk

All included, it runs me ~$1.25-$1.75 CAD for four servings- and I'm not even buying bulk rice; just the two pound bags.
Best served warm, but not hot; you can let it sit.

Additions/substitutions:
- Miso paste (I use 1tbsp./5oz.)
- Sriracha (not recommended, but I've done it)
- Pork product of choice
- Napa cabbage
- Bell pepper
- Mushrooms

:iia:

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Hey so I am going for stripers (and blues) tonight. Any recipe recommendations for striper? I've never actually cooked it before.
Striped bass? I just made one last week, it's delicious. Sorry this is late, but maybe it'll help for next time.

I'm guessing you know more than me about scaling it and cleaning it, but uhh you want to do those. Fins, tail, and gills off, head on. Rub it with olive oil outside and in, give it whatever spices you like (but not too much/many, the point is to taste the fish), and throw it in a very hot oven. I do it on a rimmed sheet covered with foil, but you could also use a pan or cast-iron or whatever.

While it's cooking, look up on youtube how to take it apart. You don't have to watch a video about bass specifically, they're all put together the same way (but bass is easier because the bones are bigger). Your goal is to end up with two filets, and then you can pick the rest clean. I am a shameful goon so I set the filets aside, then get fish bits up to my elbows while I clean every bone and swoon over the tail/collar/cheeks. Then I wash my hands so I can pretend to be a civilized human while I go serve the filets.

If you ever have extra, feel free to hook me up out of gratitude. . . .

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
So I just read an article about carbon steel pans in the latest issue of cooks illustrated and how they are the best thing ever. Slick as non stick, good even heating, but faster and lighter than cast iron, etc. Their winner was some 12 inch model for less than $50. I've never cooked with one of these pans, but they make it sound like it does it all. Are they really as good as they make it sound?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have a carbon steel wok that I love but that's all I know

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

So I just read an article about carbon steel pans in the latest issue of cooks illustrated and how they are the best thing ever. Slick as non stick, good even heating, but faster and lighter than cast iron, etc. Their winner was some 12 inch model for less than $50. I've never cooked with one of these pans, but they make it sound like it does it all. Are they really as good as they make it sound?

Place I used to work at used carbon steel pans exclusively for doing omelets in.
I'm not sure what brand they were, but once seasoned up they were as non-stick as Teflon.
New cooks to the station it took them a little bit to get used to how quick the pans heated up.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I have a ghost pepper plant with several peppers in varying stages of ripeness – two that are ready to be picked, three or four that are still green, and at least a dozen that are just beginning to form. My goal is to eventually make some hot sauce with them, but I need to reach a critical mass of peppers before I can do so... I don't want to make the sauce in batches of two peppers at a time.

Can I just freeze them until I'm ready to use them, or is that going to damage their flavor/heat somehow?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I finally have some chicken parts saved up, three frozen carcass and 6 frozen whole wings , and wanted to make broth for the congee I want to make tonight. What else do I need and how do I make this happen. I haven't ever made a broth before.

goodness fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Aug 10, 2015

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

goodness posted:

I finally have some chicken parts saved up, three frozen carcass and 6 frozen whole wings , and wanted to make broth for the congee I want to make tonight. What else do I need and how do I make this happen. I haven't ever made a broth before.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/best-rich-easy-white-chicken-stock-recipe.html

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
I'm contemplating making some powdered vinegar mostly because I love salt and vinegar chips so much. Anyone have any actual use for it other than putting it on popcorn or as a pseudo condiment?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You can use it to lower PH when canning, though I normally just use citric acid for that.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

kedo posted:

I have a ghost pepper plant with several peppers in varying stages of ripeness – two that are ready to be picked, three or four that are still green, and at least a dozen that are just beginning to form. My goal is to eventually make some hot sauce with them, but I need to reach a critical mass of peppers before I can do so... I don't want to make the sauce in batches of two peppers at a time.

Can I just freeze them until I'm ready to use them, or is that going to damage their flavor/heat somehow?
Freezing peppers is fine---the texture/crispness suffers a little, but it's not that big of a deal unless you're planning on serving them raw anyway---if you throw them in a stir fry or something you usually won't notice much of a difference.

If you're planning on making something like a sambal with them, you could just throw them in vinegar and keep them in the fridge. They'll keep more or less indefinitely and if you're going to be putting them in vinegar in the sauce anyway you won't be loving with the flavour or texture at all.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

Paper With Lines posted:

I'm contemplating making some powdered vinegar mostly because I love salt and vinegar chips so much. Anyone have any actual use for it other than putting it on popcorn or as a pseudo condiment?

How are you planning on doing this? I found a guide online but I'm curious how you're gonna do it, as I'd love to make something similar with malt vinegar.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I just got a bialetti non-stick ceramic pan. Washed it before cooking. Cooked some chicken on it and while doing it I noticed a nasty plastic smell. I moved the handle a little further away from the flame and the smell seemed to have stopped. Can I still eat the chicken?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

In America, you can label anything anything! Freedom!

Kobe beef sliders!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Are these shrimp going to kill me? Been in the fridge for 3 days. Don't smell bad.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ron Jeremy posted:

Are these shrimp going to kill me? Been in the fridge for 3 days. Don't smell bad.

If they are not slimy and don't have a strong fishy smell they are probably ok, three days is about the max for shell on shrimp in the fridge.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Can fish sauce be a substitute for anchovies in a soup? I don't really want to buy anchovies just because I'll have to find a use for the rest of them, but I have fish sauce already.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
You can buy anchovy paste in a tube like tomato paste and keep it in the fridge

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jyrraeth posted:

Can fish sauce be a substitute for anchovies in a soup? I don't really want to buy anchovies just because I'll have to find a use for the rest of them, but I have fish sauce already.
It really depends on what the anchovies are doing in the soup. They're not really flavour equivalent, but if you were just adding some minced anchovy or anchovy paste for umami then it'll probably work out.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Invisible Ted posted:

How are you planning on doing this? I found a guide online but I'm curious how you're gonna do it, as I'd love to make something similar with malt vinegar.

I'm probably going to do that one where I put some vinegar in a pot, then put in baking soda and keep stirring more in until it stops reacting, then boil it down and dry it out.

I think I settled on this one but only on a stove top instead of in a microwave.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Sodium-Acetate/

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
How do you stick that onto popcorn? Mix it into some oil/butter liquid and mix it in?

Pouring any amount of water over fresh popcorn leads to sad, melty things. :sigh:

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I'll keep an eye out for the anchovy paste tube. I think I'll get enough use out of it.

SubG posted:

It really depends on what the anchovies are doing in the soup. They're not really flavour equivalent, but if you were just adding some minced anchovy or anchovy paste for umami then it'll probably work out.

I'll be using it mostly for the umami, yes. I'm phone posting but I was thinking of making a fagioli soup that was posted recently-ish in the cooking for cheap thread (phone posting, I'll edit the link later. edit: here) and anchovies was listed as a suggested addition. I'm just not super familiar with anchovies.

I do have parmesan rinds, though, for a different kind of umami so I might be OK leaving it out entirely.

Jyrraeth fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 11, 2015

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Fish sauce should work, but your local grocery probably has anchovy paste in tube form.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah you can use fish sauce, anchovy, bacon, tamari, maggi sauce or whatever for umami.
All my recipes just include options as a note to myself for whatever I have on hand to make bean and/or veg meals less boring. I just happened to have left over anchovies from whatever I bought them for, so I used that last time I made fagioli and liked the result and noted it.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 11, 2015

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Drifter posted:

How do you stick that onto popcorn? Mix it into some oil/butter liquid and mix it in?

Pouring any amount of water over fresh popcorn leads to sad, melty things. :sigh:

The end result is a powder.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Jan posted:

How well does pork sirloin roast hold up to slow cooking? I grabbed some on special and I was thinking to make Serious Eats's chile verde recipe using it.

So far, the answer seems to be "not very well". Especially finding out that the boneless-looking roast is actually quite boneful and having to debone an unfamiliar cut... :suicide:

When I first made the recipe using pork shoulder, it resulted in terrific, tender meat that just pulled apart by itself. This time around, I actually chucked in a mix of shoulder and roast meat, since I had quite a bit more liquid than expected... But I'm up to 3 hours of stewing (1 last night, 2 this morning) and it doesn't seem to be getting tender. Is it because I basically interrupted cooking to dump it in the fridge? Should I leave it to stew some more?

e: welp, to answer my own question, an extra hour of stewing did the trick. The roast isn't as tender as the shoulder, and honestly doesn't taste that good in this recipe, so I'll stick to shoulder next time and keep roast for a braise or something else.

Jan fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 11, 2015

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
You could try roasting a roast.

How were you slow cooking it?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

SubG posted:

Freezing peppers is fine-

If you're planning on making something like a sambal with them, you could just throw them in vinegar and keep them in the fridge.

Thanks much! I didn't think of putting them in vinegar. Most of the recipes I'm looking at call for at least some vinegar anyways, so this could work out well. And as an added benefit, I'd have some spicy vinegar to do... something with!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Chemmy posted:

Fish sauce should work, but your local grocery probably has anchovy paste in tube form.

oooh, good one, I'm out of anchovy paste for a loooong while.
That stuff is so great, especially in spaghetti meat sauces!

Thanks for bringing it up

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

Jan posted:

So far, the answer seems to be "not very well". Especially finding out that the boneless-looking roast is actually quite boneful and having to debone an unfamiliar cut... :suicide:

When I first made the recipe using pork shoulder, it resulted in terrific, tender meat that just pulled apart by itself. This time around, I actually chucked in a mix of shoulder and roast meat, since I had quite a bit more liquid than expected... But I'm up to 3 hours of stewing (1 last night, 2 this morning) and it doesn't seem to be getting tender. Is it because I basically interrupted cooking to dump it in the fridge? Should I leave it to stew some more?

e: welp, to answer my own question, an extra hour of stewing did the trick. The roast isn't as tender as the shoulder, and honestly doesn't taste that good in this recipe, so I'll stick to shoulder next time and keep roast for a braise or something else.

Pork loin really isn't a slow cooking till it falls apart kind of cut. It's got that fat cap on top, but overall is pretty lean. I usually score the fat cap and sear it all around, making sure it's extra crispy and brown on top. Then roast it at high heat until a hair before 140°, let it rest, then slice.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Turned out clean tasting but I don't think I put enough chicken in. Is there anything I can do to add more chicken to it?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
make sure to check the note above the recipe

Note: 4 pounds of chicken for the 4 quarts of water here is the minimum I've found that will produce a good, flavorful stock; packing in even more chicken, up to 8 pounds per 4 quarts, will yield an even richer, deeper stock. Different parts of the chicken will contribute different amounts of gelatin to the stock. Breast meat produces a deliciously flavorful stock that is very thin, while wings produce a slightly less clean flavor with lots of gelatin. If, even after being fully refrigerated, your stock still looks thin like water, add the gelatin solution below. Feel free to add other herbs, such as fresh thyme or bay leaves.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Cavenagh posted:

How were you slow cooking it?

At 225F, in a crockpot with the lid slightly ajar, exactly as per the recipe.

Robo Boogie Bot posted:

Pork loin really isn't a slow cooking till it falls apart kind of cut. It's got that fat cap on top, but overall is pretty lean. I usually score the fat cap and sear it all around, making sure it's extra crispy and brown on top. Then roast it at high heat until a hair before 140°, let it rest, then slice.

Yeah, there also was some marbling near the bone but you're right, it's pretty lean otherwise. That'll teach me to trust the grocery store butcher over my judgment. I just felt too lazy to haul over to my local butcher for shoulder, and with the special on the roast, it was just $5 CAD for a 3lb chunk, so I figured why not.

e: Loving this chile verde recipe anyhow, but next time I won't add any stock, as both times I did it so far, I ended up with far more liquid than I'd like. Seems to be a common issue in the comments as well. I took out the meat and boiled it over an hour with a tablespoon of masa harina to thicken and reduce it.

Jan fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

kedo posted:

Thanks much! I didn't think of putting them in vinegar. Most of the recipes I'm looking at call for at least some vinegar anyways, so this could work out well. And as an added benefit, I'd have some spicy vinegar to do... something with!
Random note: you can pickle peppers whole, but I usually cut off the stem end first.

I do this because my habs always seem slightly prone to alternaria infection (that's the black fuzzy fungus that you can find inside the pods even when the pepper looks intact), so I always take off the stem end to let me inspect the peppers for infection, and I assume that if peppers have fungal spores that haven't germinated yet getting the vinegar in there sooner will help prevent spoilage.

This is something that seems to be a problem with my C. chinense peppers (habs, bhuts, scorps, and so on) but I've never had any problems e.g. drying my Thai birds (or other C. annuum peppers) whole, even when they're all packed together in the same raised bed.