Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Waltzing Along posted:

Finished SMW. So far my favorite, easily. Decided against doing all the surfer named special lands

No no no no, sack up and do 'em. You haven't enjoyed the complete Super Mario World experience until you clear Special World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

RyokoTK posted:

No no no no, sack up and do 'em. You haven't enjoyed the complete Super Mario World experience until you clear Special World.

Yeah, this. You have to be Tubular. Also there's a reward for finishing the special world.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I know about the reward. Just don't really feel like doing them. Maybe later.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Am I too late to enter the cute off?!

Captain Toad is my favorite WiiU game and maybe on my top ten games of all time. I'd follow that tubby bastard into the gates of hell and look precious doing it. :colbert:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Captain Toad has these small little intermission stages that pop up and once you finish they disappear and can't be replayed. It's really interesting that they made these things and if you blink you'll miss them.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you can replay those! not sure about all of them but some of them at least

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

goddammit I skipped forward several pages in the thread to get past all these screenshots

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

no one cares

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Kaubocks posted:

goddammit I skipped forward several pages in the thread to get past all these screenshots

but they are awesome and cute looking. why wouldnt you want to see that?

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I played more Xenoblade today. I ended up doing sidequests for four hours straight without realizing how much time I was putting into it. This game has a lot of sidequests.

I just went through a marsh and now I'm in a forest. I didn't want to leave the marsh just yet because there's this rear end in a top hat lizard on a throne who pushed my poo poo in despite him and my party being equal level. After dying several times though I decided to pack it in and come back to destroy him when I gain more levels.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Awesome! posted:

no one cares

I care.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Project Zero (Fatal Frame) LE is up for preorder on Nintendo UK's online store: http://store.nintendo.co.uk/games-wii-u/project-zero-maiden-of-black-water-limited-edition-bundle/11159116.html

Steelbook, poster, photos, art booklet, 49.99GBP.

The game isn't getting a standard retail release and the LE will probably disappear pretty quickly, so don't dawdle.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.
Thanks to Nintendo's great marketing the people who broke into my apartment didnt realize that the wii u gamepad is useless by itself and took it. Nintendo charges 150 for a replacement, and seeing how I got the console as a refurb for 200 I cant justify that much. Are there any other options?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Grundma posted:

Thanks to Nintendo's great marketing the people who broke into my apartment didnt realize that the wii u gamepad is useless by itself and took it. Nintendo charges 150 for a replacement, and seeing how I got the console as a refurb for 200 I cant justify that much. Are there any other options?

Hunt the burglars.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

He never returned home, he kept on leaping.....

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Grundma posted:

I dunno how you can get a cheap gamepad but in the meantime if you have a wiimote or classic controller pro, you should still be able to bring the Wii U menu onto the TV, as well as boot directly into Wii Mode.

e: and most first-party U titles are nice enough to support wiimote as well

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 12, 2015

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Grundma posted:

Nintendo charges 150 for a replacement, and seeing how I got the console as a refurb for 200 I cant justify that much. Are there any other options?

This is strange logic. You got a good deal and now you want another good deal because the first deal was so good?

And not really. You might be able to find one on craigslist.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah, his :v:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think he wants a new controller that doesn't cost the amount for a new system. I don't think that's unreasonable.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Rodea the Sky Soldier has officially been delayed until November, in case anyone cares.

They also announced a reversible cover for the first-print edition:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

havenwaters posted:

Yeah, this. You have to be Tubular. Also there's a reward for finishing the special world.

Tubular is hard but in repeat playthroughs the one that consistently gives me the most trouble is almost certainly Outrageous.

Awesome (the ice level) is no joke either.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Rodea the Sky Soldier has officially been delayed until November, in case anyone cares.

They also announced a reversible cover for the first-print edition:

Okay, that's neat. Hopefully they're fine-tuning the game or something.

Grundma
Mar 26, 2007

DOG controls your destiny. Seek out three items of his favor and then seek his shrine.

Waltzing Along posted:

This is strange logic. You got a good deal and now you want another good deal because the first deal was so good?

I dont see whats strange about wanting to spend less than 3/4ths the price of a console+controller for just the controller. Wish me luck

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Grundma posted:

I dont see whats strange about wanting to spend less than 3/4ths the price of a console+controller for just the controller. Wish me luck

That does suck and I feel for you but please let's move on before jivjov finds this discussion.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Sell the console you own and use that money to buy part of a new full console.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

Sell the console you own and use that money to buy part of a new full console.

That's a total dick move that's only slightly better than stealing the GamePad in the first place.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When my gamepad got stolen my homeowners insurance covered it. Do you have theft insurance in your renters?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
How is it a dick move to sell it? Maybe someone out there wants just the Wii U and can get through the setting up of the console by borrowing a Gamepad.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Fremry posted:

That's a total dick move that's only slightly better than stealing the GamePad in the first place.

as long as you're clear that the gamepad isnt included and is a required accessory i dont see the problem

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Awesome! posted:

as long as you're clear that the gamepad isnt included and is a required accessory i dont see the problem

You run the very real risk of having a confused person buying it while thinking it's the entire console. This thread has talked about it multiple times because these listings always come up around thanksgiving and Christmas.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Call nintendo support. This is a story from Nintendo UK about them replacing one for free after a stolen Tablet. Can't say it'll definitely work for you, but why not try it?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
How many games that you own/want could you get away with just using a pro controller on?

Dumb idea for an awkward situation

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Fremry posted:

You run the very real risk of having a confused person buying it while thinking it's the entire console. This thread has talked about it multiple times because these listings always come up around thanksgiving and Christmas.

That what they get for not reading the tittle, description, or asking the seller about it. That why years from now people will be buy empty Nintendo NX boxes because they didn't take the time to read or think first.

Jarogue fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 12, 2015

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Jarogue posted:

That what they get for not reading the tittle, description, or asking the seller about it. That why years from now people will be buy empty Nintendo NX boxes because they didn't take the time to read or think first.

I think you underestimate the number of unaware parents/grandparents that don't know anything about the hobby, but want to surprise a little boy or girl. Box only listings are a different beast, but can you really blame a grandmother scouring ebay and finding a deal on a Wii U, and not knowing that the gamepad is necessary? Especially with the failed marketing campaign by Nintendo?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The fact that people feel that Captain Toad is too short really drives home how much gaming has changed for me. I actually had a small moment of dread when the third chapter opened up, since I rather feared that it was about to overstay its welcome and wear out the mechanics. I really have rather little time to play games these days (but reasonable disposable income), so I much prefer games to be all pay-off and only go on as long as the ideas feel really fresh.

I mean, if they had kept changing stuff around a lot every level for another couple of chapters I couldn't really have complained, but as it stands I very much appreciate that pretty much all levels get their own clear idea, and everything feels fresh all the way through. A DLC chapter or two which is just harder levels based off of the same building blocks may have been a good compromise for all the people who want more gameplay time out of it though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

The fact that people feel that Captain Toad is too short really drives home how much gaming has changed for me. I actually had a small moment of dread when the third chapter opened up, since I rather feared that it was about to overstay its welcome and wear out the mechanics. I really have rather little time to play games these days (but reasonable disposable income), so I much prefer games to be all pay-off and only go on as long as the ideas feel really fresh.

I mean, if they had kept changing stuff around a lot every level for another couple of chapters I couldn't really have complained, but as it stands I very much appreciate that pretty much all levels get their own clear idea, and everything feels fresh all the way through. A DLC chapter or two which is just harder levels based off of the same building blocks may have been a good compromise for all the people who want more gameplay time out of it though.

This honestly isn't a knock against you I promise, but what would you consider too short? I understand a lot of people don't have as much time to play games as everyone else but I'd rather have something that lasts longer then 2-3 hours and can have me coming back for more. Captain Toad felt far too short and it feels like the second the levels started getting even slightly inventive it just ended and gave me no reason to really go back once I had the crown, and make a lot of "lol uncute" jokes you want, a lot of my friends haven't even beaten it despite buying it because it just wasn't interesting enough. I ended up selling the game recently because I looked at it and went "man the game was cute but there just wasn't enough there to make me ever want to replay it."

Unfortunate comparison due to the recent Kirby feud (if you want to call it that) but I felt that was a perfect "short" game because while there's only 20-30 levels or so to the game it has a handful of things to explore and substantial content rewarded to the player for said exploring. Then there's the assload of challenge levels that unlock as you progress, but if you want all of them the game asks you to go and replay old stages and try to gold medal stuff. If you didn't want to bother with the challenges you still had a fun game on your hands but there was more in it then people give it credit for. It's something that's fun to boot up and just play time to time and it's kinda how I wish Toad was handled.

Edit: Honestly a lot of my problems with Treasure Trackers length would vanish if the game was a 15-20 dollar DLC for 3D World instead of it's own retail package.

Edit 2: Pikmin 3 is also a good short game with a ton of content that rewards you for replaying it thinking on it now

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 12, 2015

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I felt toad was as long or longer than Kirby when it came to collecting everything, not counting time trials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

greatn posted:

I felt toad was as long or longer than Kirby when it came to collecting everything, not counting time trials.

I genuinely can't see how that's possible but v:shobon:v

• Locked thread