Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Yeah, ppd's analysis wasn't very unusual. I'm just surprised he didn't gloat over all the techies first phase bans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

JollyPubJerk posted:

aa was a good pick because it shits on dk wyvern clok because they are immobile easy to hit targets every teamfight what on earth did he say

He said that he felt comfortable enough on the hero from his pubs, seemed like a strong matchup, and his teammates had his back on this pick.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

gigawhite posted:

Yeah, ppd's analysis wasn't very unusual. I'm just surprised he didn't gloat over all the techies first phase bans

He never really gloats or anything in his draft analysis videos, or his tournament vlogs either.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Magic damage amp from Ice Vortex for Storm Earthshaker and Gyro is ridiculous

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

i was informed that ppd was more salt than man and this video does NOT deliver

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
He won TI, even a salt elemental like can't be salty about that

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I don't know why people kept ragging on CDEC for first phase banning Techies every game when they most likely has 0 experience playing against the hero in a competitive environment prior to TI

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

gigawhite posted:

I think he was like "We practiced a lot with CDEC, because we didn't know how well they were going to do till after groups. They're a drat good team" Or something like that

Im guessing they were traumatized in practice by techies.

steakmancer posted:

I don't know why people kept ragging on CDEC for first phase banning Techies every game when they most likely has 0 experience playing against the hero in a competitive environment prior to TI

Techies would have hosed them so hard.

All their smoke roams would have been shut down by horrible mine traps killing half of them.

SelfOM
Jun 15, 2010
Kinda interesting how EG and CDEC were scrim partners though, they probably had played techies in scrims at least a couple of times.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

One thing I noticed is that ppd expected Leshrac to be mid but there was a stat during the game that the mid player hardly played Leshrac and EG bans tend to be team specific. I guess they just didn't look too hard at CDEC before with them being a wildcard team and it just didn't come up in practice games.

steakmancer posted:

And that EG had previously beat them twice with it in the group stage. Their play style is really bad against techies and they probably didn't feel comfortable changing it in the middle of TI.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

shiki played lesh in that set so its more likely EG gave it to them in scrims and assumed he would play it. they tried to switch up the obvious bait and it didn't work out

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

steakmancer posted:

It's more that PPD is not going to give up a good Sumail hero or a good Fear hero for Techies, especialy if he only had the first pick. Techies wouldn't be worth the Gyrocopter and Tusk getting through on the other side.

As much as CDEC was determined to always ban Techies, EG was as determined to always ban out Bounty Hunter. That's because track gold has ridiculous interaction with CDEC's playing style and it's also one of the only heroes Garder is really good at, so there's a lot of value in banning that out every single opportunity. The team that gets the 2nd/3rd picks also gets the last ban, so if EG spends their second ban on Tusk then it makes sense for CDEC to spend their last ban on Techies.

I think CDEC's real problem was overestimating certain heroes in the hands of EG players, and underestimating others. They beat the Naga in game 2 the night before, but they had Tusk. I think there's snowball combos that counter mines but it seems nobody in China has bothered to investigate them yet. But the real problem is that they overestimated the strength of Sumail Lesh and underestimated the strength of Sumail Anything Else. Yes, Lesh can farm like gently caress; which is part of why CDEC had no idea what to do with him at first, his strengths at farming large mobs is useless to a team that can't bother to CS because they'd rather be doing hero and tower damage. But Sumail gets poo poo-tons of farm on Ember and Storm too, and EG is all around too good of a team that you can't just ban out Sumail like teams do Bulldog.

CDEC's best strategy would be to realize that Sumail is going to get a really high GPM on whatever he's playing anyway, that's what happens when you're the west's best at Bullshit Storm Spirit and Bullshit Ember Spirit. Leshrac wasn't really a harmless threat, but it wasn't that much more harmful than that guy getting any of his comfort heroes; and you can't ban them all out or else the rest of the team will demolish you.

Radical posted:

shiki played lesh in that set so its more likely EG gave it to them in scrims and assumed he would play it. they tried to switch up the obvious bait and it didn't work out
Huh? Shiki's pub record had 15 Lesh games in 4 years, which Mad was just about laughing over. Merlini had a good point that the inhouse private lobby games don't go on your pub profile, so if he played in the CDEC League it wouldn't have been recorded, but it was obvious when his first game on it was "pls report" bad that we actually had a case of a player learning how to play a hero in the middle of the TI grand final.

I figured Bulba probably loaded up Dotabuff and noticed the other team's mid player had almost no games on the most imbalanced hero for their position and told PPD to leave them scared of either handing it over or taking it and putting on a 2K clown performance with it.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 12, 2015

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I don't get how a pro team can't play Naga.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

davecrazy posted:

It's really hard to have high game impact as a 4/5 naga. Especially when you aren't pushing the song key and not playing vs idiots that ensnare is going to wreck. It's very much a unique playstyle, much like techies, and takes loads of practice to do at that level.

Another big issue for CDEC is it just didn't fit their play style, and EG has loads of experience with and against Naga.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

the alpaca posted:

so the reason he went with a sumail influenced AA yolo pick over a comfort lion pick in the final draft is because of the AA + ES ult combo? i'm not a very good dota2 player and i don't think he explained that part.

He explained that he went with it because it's a really good pick and because the team thought it would fit well, but they never scrim with it and he doesn't practice the hero that much, so it's a yolo in the sense that they don't have professional practice with it, not because it's a bad pick

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

davecrazy posted:

Happens when your dedicated Naga player is graduated up to bigger brother LGD five months ago. Maybe's Naga used to be able to carry CDEC even when they had a much worse offlaner who used to cost them games.

He was like the Chinese Meracle for a bit there. One amazing Naga fighting against the feed of four schmucks.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i really like EG and PPD but lol

"we felt we were cheesed game 2 by the brood pick"
--guy that drafts techies

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Maybe isn't even the kind of Naga player they need anyways.

The Chinese teams just seem to completely undervalue support Naga in general even though they're constantly forced to ban it out against Western teams

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Craptacular! posted:

It's more that PPD is not going to give up a good Sumail hero or a good Fear hero for Techies, especialy if he only had the first pick. Techies wouldn't be worth the Gyrocopter and Tusk getting through on the other side.

He said in his drafts video that he was prepared to first pick techies every game, that's how unprepared CDEC were for it

I also like the idea that ppd never wanted to ban Lesh because of how little it had gotten through in the tournament itself

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

steakmancer posted:

He said in his drafts video that he was prepared to first pick techies every game, that's how unprepared CDEC were for it

Buying sentry wards and a gem just don't fit into CDECs meta.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
VG is like the only Chinese team off the top of my head that has picked support Naga recently, which is so bizarre because of how strong it is, with crazy scouting, rune control, and multi-camp stacking illusions, a BKB piercing root and the " teamfight draw" button that is Song, which becomes the "isolate enemy carry" button when the carry picks up BKB

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

How would he be giving up those heroes for techies? EG doesn't always pick both Fear and Sumail heroes in the first 2 picks and techies could be picked anywhere.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
What stands out the most from that draft analysis is how heavily they lean on Sumail. They don't really have to worry about his pick or lane match up, because they flat out expect him to win or break even on bad match ups based purely on outskilling the opponent. That is a huge convenience to have, and lets them concentrate a lot more on ensuring they can draft good safe lane heroes so Fear is guaranteed an easy lane.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
even my jaded rear end was impressed when sumail got 17 last hits by 2:50 as ember vs a ranged hero

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CampingCarl posted:

How would he be giving up those heroes for techies? EG doesn't always pick both Fear and Sumail heroes in the first 2 picks and techies could be picked anywhere.

I thought Gyrocopter was their first pick in just about every game. I know Fear played it every game, people joked about him always being an old man.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Craptacular! posted:

I thought Gyrocopter was their first pick in just about every game. I know Fear played it every game, people joked about him always being an old man.
It was, but how does that make CDEC banning techies bad?

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

davecrazy posted:

Buying sentry wards and a gem just don't fit into CDECs meta.

They don't just afk planting mines like everybody who plays the hero in pubs, you can't really apply the same kind of playstyle to it

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Megasabin posted:

What stands out the most from that draft analysis is how heavily they lean on Sumail. They don't really have to worry about his pick or lane match up, because they flat out expect him to win or break even on bad match ups based purely on outskilling the opponent. That is a huge convenience to have, and lets them concentrate a lot more on ensuring they can draft good safe lane heroes so Fear is guaranteed an easy lane.

exactly like Secrets drafts, except s4 started losing badly and puppey/kuro were rarely in position to save him from dives since they were stacking so much

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Megasabin posted:

They do sometimes, in some of the games you even saw fear with early rotations to ensure mid wasn't a shitstorm. And one of the games ppd or aui were camped at mid from when the horn blew till well into the game (maybe not vs CDEC specifically).

PPD really downplayed it in that drafting review. It's true though, lots of times they do leave him alone and intentionally don't rotate. They only seem to pay heavy attention to mid when it could actually go bad.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Aug 12, 2015

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot

Craptacular! posted:

yes it would be, the other team had literally no experience playing against it lol.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CampingCarl posted:

It was, but how does that make CDEC banning techies bad?

I actually said it was equivelant to EG banning Bounty Hunter in every game, and thus it wasn't bad.

I just said in an better world where Chinese teams bothered to care about it, it wouldn't have to be banned out all the time. I also thought a first phase pick seemed really unlikely, but I haven't yet listened to this video people are talking about.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Tweak posted:

I'm not sure how having your own cheese strats means you can't also be cheesed?

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Megasabin posted:

They expect him to do well but in the past ppd has also said they support mid more than the safe lane. Even when sumail does do poorly in mid a lot of credit for him coming back is the supports stacking and protecting him instead of supporting Fear.

Craptacular! posted:

I actually said it was equivelant to EG banning Bounty Hunter in every game, and thus it wasn't bad.

I just said in an better world where Chinese teams bothered to care about it, it wouldn't have to be banned out all the time. I also thought a first phase pick seemed really unlikely, but I haven't yet listened to this video people are talking about.
You said PPD would not give up a good Sumail or Fear hero for techies and that a techies ban wasn't bad if EG banned tusk. You have some weird logic.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I think what he meant by they felt like they got cheesed is that they didn't feel like their strategy was overall bad or that they got out skilled or out played, so if they could avoid falling into the trap they wouldn't need to vastly alter their strategy or play

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CampingCarl posted:

You (...) a techies ban wasn't bad if EG banned tusk.

Ah. I deleted part of my post that went into theories of how a snowball combo (with Omniknight ult, I think) can counter a mined-up defense in a fight, but I deleted the whole thing because I get in trouble around here anytime I theorize game mechanics for a game I don't actually play.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
every brood pick is an outdraft 'cheese' just means he hates having to deal with the hero

once they started banning tusk they were fine. cdec was being silly fping pl and ignoring gyro then picking their visage naga counter into a gyro, which shits all over visage because dota mechanics is weird. cdec last banning poo poo like cm and not aa when they go for healer/dk lineup is also pretty silly. cdec is a good team, but they were one dimensional the whole tournament with tusk/bh almost every game and once they couldnt take either they looked out of place. that echoslam was just the denouement of them looking completely lost if they don't succeed in getting ganks 4 mins in. tusk/bh make those kills super easy, but the other heroes they tried to run instead lacked the punch.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Craptacular! posted:

Ah. I deleted part of my post that went into theories of how a snowball combo (with Omniknight ult, I think) can counter a mined-up defense in a fight, but I deleted the whole thing because I get in trouble around here anytime I theorize game mechanics for a game I don't actually play.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Tweak posted:

Techies are first pick according to semi-professional S4.

Toes
Dec 6, 2011

Clods to the left of me,
Bookahs to the right.
So on Toffee's show he's said that ESPN was in charge of production, not Valve. I guess this explains why the show felt a bit more slick then last year. Though I agree they should have shown more of Hotbid and Kaci's pre-recorded interviews during down times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is there a date for whenever the next tournament with real teams will take place? Makes me sad looking at JoinDOTA and all the "Upcoming Matches" are teams I don't think anyone's ever heard of.

• Locked thread