Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Demon_Corsair posted:

My pok3r has arrived! Thing is built like a tank.

Anyone have good suggestions about what to do with all the programmable layers?

"Another victory for the gay agenda"

Spam after winning matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

tuna posted:

Switch dip3 so capslock is Fn and go from there.

I'm going to try it out as l- ctrl . I've gotten used to have ctrl/cmd bound to caps lock.

fn-f keys is going to take some getting used to.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
not sure if I've ever seen a suggestion for blacks :(

Potassium Problems
Sep 28, 2001

JollyPubJerk posted:

I have a poker II with blacks, and the only reason I wouldn't recommend it is because they feel "mushy" from the additional force. I'd probably always recommend reds if someone were looking for a linear switch, unless they enjoy the stiffness of greens or clears.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

JollyPubJerk posted:

Racism is alive and well in keyboard communities.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Demon_Corsair posted:

I'm going to try it out as l- ctrl . I've gotten used to have ctrl/cmd bound to caps lock.

fn-f keys is going to take some getting used to.

Whatever works. I use f1-5 a lot for some applications so having Fn at capslock was excellent (also fn+wasd for arrows). I found that getting ctrl+arrows to work was weird with fn+wasd so I made fn+ijkl a ctrl+arrow function to skip around text easier.
Also I used to use the ctrl + shift + esc shortcut in windows, which no longer works without reprogramming it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

echinopsis posted:

I was a huge fan of DSA until I saw this

and realised SA was the true money shot

But does anyone ever do group buys for them? DSA sets are expensive enough as it is.

I asked WASD if they were ever going to adopt DSA and they said they weren't, but imagine if they said they were.

(currently slumming it with regular profiles)

Buy for ABS double-shot SA profile keys just went up on Massdrop: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/carbon

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah $181 nz shipped :[ maybe if I was in love with the scheme but I'm not :cry:

Thabks anyway

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Mange Mite posted:

Buy for ABS double-shot SA profile keys just went up on Massdrop: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/carbon
I was like "well, I've got my keyboard all set up nicely I don't need any more sets" but then I see something like that...

But at about AUD150 for a 104-setup, yeah. It's a bit of a stretch on the old budget.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
True SA profile is the absolute gold standard but that colour scheme not so much. Blue and Grey thanks

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

echinopsis posted:

True SA profile is the absolute gold standard but that colour scheme not so much. Blue and Grey thanks
I like the orange, as you may have seen, though.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Imma have to respect that

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
How crazy would it be to replace a KBparadise MX blues keyboard that I'm pretty meh on with a CODE blues or browns? The only part that makes it feel crazy is I don't know what to do with the extra KBparadise one that I don't want and/or not sure of resale value.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MrBond posted:

How crazy would it be to replace a KBparadise MX blues keyboard that I'm pretty meh on with a CODE blues or browns? The only part that makes it feel crazy is I don't know what to do with the extra KBparadise one that I don't want and/or not sure of resale value.

Wait so what would be the difference?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Would this keycap set be compatible with a Das 4C professional? https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1322

I went to my computer store planning on picking up a QuickFire Rapid-i but I saw the Das 4C in roughly the same price range and with a USB hub so I impulse bought that instead. First mechanical keyboard, feels weird.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Should be. Thankfully Das keyboards have a completely standard layout so yeah, if they are cherry MX caps they'll work :)

I suggest also getting a keycap puller from ebay or something

e: That's a tasteful set :)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
The keys on this Das aren't Cherry, they're Greetech, part of the reason I'm wondering about compatibility. Also wondering if that means I should just return this thing and get the QuickFire instead.

And thank you, I saw someone else in this thread saying they're running greens+creams and loved it. It'll match my green chair too.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010

prom candy posted:

Would this keycap set be compatible with a Das 4C professional? https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1322

I went to my computer store planning on picking up a QuickFire Rapid-i but I saw the Das 4C in roughly the same price range and with a USB hub so I impulse bought that instead. First mechanical keyboard, feels weird.

I own the keyboard those caps come on and I own an older Das U and the caps are so thick that they don't really like the wire stabilizers, but they should work. When I tried it they were a little sticky. I was actually planning on trying it again today so I will report back.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Actually I think I'm gonna take this Das back, I don't really like it. It was over $200 taxes in and it doesn't feel very high end. I also think I may want blue switches instead of brown. Or maybe I just want to keep using my apple chiclet keyboard, I don't know. For all the raving about mechanical keyboards it really didn't feel like anything special, but I also see a lot of people online knocking this particular one.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Apparently DAS has really hosed their quality up in order to boost profits. The switches they use are ultra cheap and the construction in general is just worse nowadays than when they built their reputation. Good idea on sending it back because it doesn't sound like it reflects the quality a loving $200 keyboard should have. There are plenty of other options out there for good quality keyboards fortunately.

Ducky/Filco etc. are still making quality KBs. I wouldn't say my Filco is quite on the "feel nice" level of a Pok3r (which is half metal and small), but they're probably quite a bit nicer than a modern DAS.

[edit] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPdVYVIlccA

tuna fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 11, 2015

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

my WASD was 150 or so and feels great.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Just saw this on a review of the DAS 4C pro:

Those are some super cheap keycaps they're selling now too.

Horizontal Tree
Jan 1, 2010
I like my really old Das Ultimate but I would never suggest someone buy a newer one.
I sent in an RMA request on my busted K65 so I'm hoping Corsair replaces that without issue and I can find someone to buy the replacement so I can switch to a POK3R.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Mange Mite posted:

Wait so what would be the difference?

DIP switches including better Mac compatibility, backlighting that doesn't have buzz/hum when enabled, which is the main reason for my discontent.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

tuna posted:

Hahahaha that's $200?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

Hahahaha that's $200?

$130 on amazon US (not including tax), $189 Canada (not including tax). Still too much.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

The Das 4 (the 104 version) is solid - the 4C they skimped on. If all you need is TKL there's a shitload of better options.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I just got home from the store, brought back the Das 4C and swapped for a CM QuickFire Rapid-i with blues. It was $60 less all-in. Holy gently caress is it ever loud. This feels more like what I was hoping for though. Aside from the kewl gamer dude keycaps (which I'll be replacing) it seems like a much nicer board.

Too bad about the Das. I grabbed it in the store initially because of their reputation.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Huh, weird about the das. I have the older model S professional w/browns at work and it is fantastic. Sad to hear they've gone to poo poo. :(

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Yeah the knockoff switches seem to be real hit-and-miss and depend a lot on how good a QA job is being done by the assembler.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

evil_bunnY posted:

my WASD was 150 or so and feels great.

Same

Honestly my WASD is nicer than my CODE which has a "ring" when you type on it.

I have a 3rd edition Das, it's only but I haven't ahd a good chance to compare it to this. :cry:

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

tuna posted:

a shameful, shameful keyboard.

I ordered a Pok3r because I hate my wallet. I guess i'll see what Clears feel like after using browns at home and work for the last couple years.

This better not awaken anything inside me.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

tuna posted:

Ducky/Filco etc. are still making quality KBs. I wouldn't say my Filco is quite on the "feel nice" level of a Pok3r (which is half metal and small), but they're probably quite a bit nicer than a modern DAS.

The ducky shine 4 has a much cheaper feel/finish that the ducky shine 3.

Good thing I bought 3 ducky shine 3 yellow editions.

And I am super suprised with the quality feel of the Keycool 87.

Shame that das is one of the few companies adding usb ports to their boards.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 12, 2015

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Know what stinks about lusting after keyboards? Finding the god drat Goldilocks board you want and finding out you cant not buy it anywhere.

Backlit(purple is ideal but I can do white with led covers),75%,aluminum base if possible.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

ColHannibal posted:

Know what stinks about lusting after keyboards? Finding the god drat Goldilocks board you want and finding out you cant not buy it anywhere.

Yeah this is a tragic thing. This is something I want badly:

TEX Yoda

However here is something I now have, lots of keys (one's for work).

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Im probably just going to hold out for a Pok3r LED if they ever release them.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
How comparable would the CODE with clear switches be compared to a Pok3r with clear switches? I'm used to browns on a CM Quick Fire but the CODE I just played with that was using clears definitely feels better constructed and the keys felt more tactile.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a CODE w/clears and it sorta "rings" when you type on it. And they feel mushy but I thnk that's clears not the board.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Does anyone own a Deck Francium?

The case appears to be grey in the photos I've found online but I can't tell whether it's reflecting the light differently because of the finish they've used.

Probably going to splurge on the SA Carbon caps and the Francium.

:spooky: The Cappening has begun :spooky:

KingEup fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007

Bazanga posted:

How comparable would the CODE with clear switches be compared to a Pok3r with clear switches? I'm used to browns on a CM Quick Fire but the CODE I just played with that was using clears definitely feels better constructed and the keys felt more tactile.

I also started out with a CM Quick Fire with browns and have both the CODE and Pok3r in clears. If I never purchased a Pok3r I would have been perfectly happy with the CODE but the Pok3r feels a lot better due to its solid construction and aluminum case. Its built like a loving tank. I have the dreaded "ping" on one key on my CODE but it doesn't bother me as much as it does other people so :shrug:. I think you'll be happy either way but my personal preference is leaning more towards the Pok3r.

Also, with the Pok3r you can do cools things like program a function key to do your log in process.
code:
Ctrl+Alt+Del/0.1s delay/Enter (get past terms of use)/username/tab
All on one button.

• Locked thread