Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

House Louse posted:

Yeah, but there's fewer of them, and you can't really spot them from outside the island. Whatever you think about Hess, it's great for newbies.

Seeing we're into buxibanchat, though, how flexible are other schools with contract length? Hess is pretty much only 6 month or a year, curious if less corporate places are the same.

I applied for my job from overseas and got hired without so much as a skype interview. I also got incredibly lucky. They were fairly flexible with contracts after my first year. A year was minimum for paperwork, but I was getting 2 year contracts which was more convenient for ARC reasons and when I didn't complete the second year on my final contract I wasn't docked any part of my bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Can anyone give me some advice about renting and riding scooters in Taiwan.
I've put a day trip to Haulien to Toroko Gorge and back on the to do list.
I ride a 500 cc standard at home so two wheels is not new to me.

(as previously mentioned, I've done this before but as a pillion passenger, I have drove up the west coast however)

prices, road rules...

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 3, 2015

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So the Minister of Education managed to get himself into a further kerfuffle on the whole history textbooks front. He met with students and whatnot yesterday, and was snapped rolling his eyes at them:

After which he noticed the camera again and halfway forced a smile out. His official excuse is "My eyes were tired, I was just resting exercising them". The KMT once again doing a stellar job managing public opinion in the lead up to the election.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

So the Minister of Education managed to get himself into a further kerfuffle on the whole history textbooks front. He met with students and whatnot yesterday, and was snapped rolling his eyes at them:

After which he noticed the camera again and halfway forced a smile out. His official excuse is "My eyes were tired, I was just resting exercising them". The KMT once again doing a stellar job managing public opinion in the lead up to the election.

:rolleyes:

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

TetsuoTW posted:

What a loving choad. I wonder who did what to make him actually show up this time.

Otherwise, I'm not as familiar with local politics as I'd like to think I am, but how strong is the "independent Taiwan" ideology? I mean, most of the folks I talk to around here, I get the feeling of a lot of anti-China/reunification sentiment, so it just seems really surprising to me that the KMT would struggle to hold onto the idea of reunification if their plan is to hold any kind of popular power. I don't know, I just feel like I'm missing something.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Only the Tea Party equivalent of the KMT wants actual reunification under Beijing. The more mainstream of the party wants a "special relationship" (if you're forgiving) or "to be like Hong Kong" (if you're cynical).

Also, don't you live in the south? That's deep pan-green country, so yeah your going to get a disproportionate level of anti-China/reunification sentiment. It's like living in Oklahoma and wondering how the Democrats keep getting elected President because everyone you talk to is so anti-liberal.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Nobody of any importance in the KMT is publicly advocating reunification anymore, the KMT now stands for closer ties to China so they are in favor of trade agreements, direct flights, looser visa controls on mainland tourists, etc...

The DPP would love independence but they're wise enough to understand even if they were to sweep both houses of the Legislative Yuan and win the presidency, standing up and declaring a "Republic of Taiwan" is the fastest way to get Taiwan carpet-bombed while simultaneously absolving the US of any obligation to come to their defense.

That's just the 1-sentence summaries though, there's more nuance than that.

From my anecdotal experience literally 0% of people under the age of 40 have any desire for reunification and most are vaguely in favor of independence in some way at some time that works for Taiwan but are in no rush because why piss off China when they don't have to, and right now they have it pretty good.

Of course the above is only about the role of China. There are also arguments over local things like nuclear power, growing income disparities, etc...

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I was really confused by Taiwanese politics until someone (a highly-educated Taiwanese person) explained that the parties here don't follow the liberal/conservative divide like in most other countries, but are pretty much solely divided by their opinion on the relationship with China. So that's why you get the KMT (which I had perceived as the conservative party) being fiercely in favor of free trade and more open borders and the DPP (which I thought was the left-wingers) throwing around "keep foreign businesses out, Taiwan for the Taiwanese" rhetoric.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Those are both positions pretty consistent with the political left and right in America though. The political left is labor-friendly and protectionist, the political right is business-friendly and globalist.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I just remember that a lot of the DPP critiques of last year's trade deal could have come from the Republicans talking about the TPP or NAFTA.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Moon Slayer posted:

Also, don't you live in the south? That's deep pan-green country, so yeah your going to get a disproportionate level of anti-China/reunification sentiment. It's like living in Oklahoma and wondering how the Democrats keep getting elected President because everyone you talk to is so anti-liberal.

Yeah, Chiayi. I figured as much, and was wondering if the sentiment was different in Taipei or the other big cities. I know there's that Taiwanese Independence Party which seems to be the "slightly popular, but still viewed as a bit too crazy" party.

The impression I get from the KMT (which could be totally wrong) is this idea that there's China, and the Communists control *this area* (circles all of mainland China) while the KMT/RoC controls *this area* (circles Taiwan); as though it were two political parities dividing up territory rather than two governments. But then again, having lived in Oklahoma City for a few months, what you say is completely right, and I try not to get into lengthy political talks to avoid being the nosy expat who thinks he knows better because he's not from here. It's just with the presidential elections coming up, I'm curious what the thoughts and public sentiments are.

Ah well, I just wish they would relax the laws on importing bikes and using large bikes on the freeways. I'm wanting to upgrade from my SR150 to something bigger in the next year or so depending on how things go job wise. Will probably buy a second hand 250 or 300 if I can find one, because buying new is laughably expensive.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Bloodnose posted:

Those are both positions pretty consistent with the political left and right in America though. The political left is labor-friendly and protectionist, the political right is business-friendly and globalist.

I think the general point that Taiwanese politics doesn't follow the Western left/right deal is true though, based on talking to some friends about this.

Moon Slayer posted:

Only the Tea Party equivalent of the KMT wants actual reunification under Beijing. The more mainstream of the party wants a "special relationship" (if you're forgiving) or "to be like Hong Kong" (if you're cynical).

UK and US have a "special relationship", isn't that cynical enough?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

YF19pilot posted:

Yeah, Chiayi. I figured as much, and was wondering if the sentiment was different in Taipei or the other big cities. I know there's that Taiwanese Independence Party which seems to be the "slightly popular, but still viewed as a bit too crazy" party.

From the university students and Taiwanese-and-proud business owners I talked to in the Taipei area, most of them liked the idea of an independent Taiwan but have sort of resigned themselves to Chinese assimilation as an eventuality. They don't know if it will happen tomorrow or in a hundred years, but they see a Hong Kong type of situation as the most likely outcome. That said, they're not fans of any kind of policy or legislation that might allow Chinese influence sooner rather than later and so as a result weren't big fans of the KMT.

Does anyone know anything about how voting culture works in Taiwan? What's the biggest factor in affecting someone's vote? As in, do people tend to make up their own minds or do they tend to vote alongside their families, social groups, etc.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Atlas Hugged posted:

they tend to vote alongside their families, social groups, etc.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Since we're doing election talk, I remember back in 2011 for the last presidential election what I heard the most from Taiwanese people was "I really don't like Ma but if Tsai wins there will be a war with China, so ..."

I guess it says something that the administration has managed to make itself so unpopular that war with China is preferable to four more years of KMT rule.

EDIT: There won't really be a war if/when Tsai wins in January.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Aug 4, 2015

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
War with China would probably be preferable to a Hung administration though. Honestly a Tsai administration is just four years for China to throw a big hissy baby fit and do everything in their power to show people that a DPP administration is bad for Taiwan's economy wink wink.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

One of our doormen downstairs came over from China way back when and he's firmly of the belief that there will be a war with China or a Chinese invasion in our lifetimes.

As for unification/independence views, TISR has data from February showing pretty consistently higher expectations that "Taiwan will ultimately become independent" over "Taiwan will ultimately unify with China"

Overall, in my limited experience, most people's opinion on the independence/unification thing is "couldn't give an active gently caress." The status quo tends to win out in polling, and since the status quo is, in reality, "Taiwan is functionally independent" there's not so much call for active pro-independence agitation. It's also worth noting that as far as the "they control that, we control this" territorial thing goes, it will remain for a good long time the case that the ROC continues to claim the mainland, because that's how the ROC's territory is defined in the constitution and the moment anyone even thinks about changing that China will poo poo blood.

Moon Slayer posted:

2011 for the last presidential election what I heard the most from Taiwanese people was "I really don't like Ma but if Tsai wins there will be a war with China, so ..."
Those people are stupid and the entire reason we had to put up with that dipshit for another four years, so gently caress them.

quote:

EDIT: There won't really be a war if/when Tsai wins in January.
There won't even be much of anything besides pissiness from China when Tsai wins. It'll basically just be the same as the Chen administration was. The CCP will be huge pissbabies at every opportunity, but never actually do poo poo.

Spanish Matlock posted:

do everything in their power to show people that a DPP administration is bad for Taiwan's economy wink wink.
There's enough of the Taiwanese economy left to go bad?

e: If you're into all this poo poo, Frozen Garlic is a p. good blog by a dude who works for the Institute of Political Science at Academia Sinica and has been in Taiwan (to some degree or other) since 1989. As a start, have the most recent article, about Hung Hsiu-chu likening her imagined DPP igniting of the current student protests to Mao's kicking off the Cultural Revolution (for gently caress's sake).

sub supau fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Aug 4, 2015

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Also, it's dangerous to go alone, take this:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

So Typhoon Soudelor is gonna kill us all. I'm flying out to Hong Kong friday morning and coming back Sunday night, so we'll see if any of those flights get canceled.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

GoutPatrol posted:

So Typhoon Soudelor is gonna kill us all. I'm flying out to Hong Kong friday morning and coming back Sunday night, so we'll see if any of those flights get canceled.

Still haven't heard what days we're getting off. It just sucks that Friday will probably get cancelled, damnit I want to get paid!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Here's the info I got in an e-mail from AIT this morning:

AIT posted:

This Emergency Message is being issued to alert U.S. citizens residing or traveling in Taiwan about Typhoon Soudelor, currently in the western Pacific Ocean southeast of Taiwan. Taiwan’s Central Weather Bureau (CWB) projects this storm will make landfall in Taiwan late Friday night. Taiwan is projected to begin feeling the effects of the storm late Thursday or early Friday.

Typhoon Soudelor currently has winds over 170 miles per hour with gusts over 200 miles per hour and waves approaching 50 feet. The storm is projected to weaken slightly before its projected landfall in the northern part of Taiwan. When it makes landfall, the storm likely will still be a Category 4 typhoon with winds around 145 mph and gusts over 170 mph.

After that it was standard safety instructions. Stock up on food and water today, I guess!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Moon Slayer posted:

Here's the info I got in an e-mail from AIT this morning:

After that it was standard safety instructions. Stock up on food and water today, I guess!

Looking at the map, looks like the eye may just pass over Chiayi or Taichung. I'll have to get some photos of the eye wall if I can; but being a veteran of hurricanes, I don't like the idea of hunkering down in my apartment while a Cat 5, possibly weakening to a Cat 4 is passing overhead - I'd much rather skip town if I could, but that's not a possibility right now.

I'll probably pull some money off my credit card, buy a Gunpla to build, or maybe hook up with friends and play some Mahjong.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

YF19pilot posted:

I'll probably pull some money off my credit card, buy a Gunpla to build, or maybe hook up with friends and play some Mahjong.

The best typhoon activities.

As a side note, my family visited Taiwan and my dad lost his wallet and phone in a bag with 喜餅. Two months later after being found and winding its way from the finder to police to immigration to AIT the stuff was returned without a single cent missing. I sure do miss Taiawn!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

In my (more limited) experience, by the time typhoons pass over the mountains of central Taiwan, they're barely holding together. When I lived in the Taichung area we had one follow this path and it was barely some rain showers by the time it reached us.

West coast is going to get wrecked, though.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

USDA Choice posted:

The best typhoon activities.

As a side note, my family visited Taiwan and my dad lost his wallet and phone in a bag with 喜餅. Two months later after being found and winding its way from the finder to police to immigration to AIT the stuff was returned without a single cent missing. I sure do miss Taiawn!

drat.

So did he eat it?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Who would eat a wallet?

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
Wallets are my favorite Taiwanese cuisine

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So, who's not dead?

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I've been dead... on the inside... for a long time.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
im ded

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Not dead. Also no longer living this typhoon Amish style.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
THE TYPHOON CLAIMS ANOTHER LIFE
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2015/08/10/2003625021

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

*stabs a man in the chest*
*expects it won't be fatal*

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Ah bian inside job

Sea Monkey
Nov 20, 2008
Hey guys, I'm heading to Taiwan in a few weeks and was wondering if you guys have any advice/experience with getting a place to stay in the more rural parts of Taiwan.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Man, I don't know if it's societal pressure to start a family, a focus on studying instead of social interaction as a kid or just Taiwanese dudes being dense, but you see a lot of toxic relationships here. I've got two sets of neighbors that are young couples, and both of them are just always screaming at each other. :( At least nobody has been stabbed yet.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Sea Monkey posted:

Hey guys, I'm heading to Taiwan in a few weeks and was wondering if you guys have any advice/experience with getting a place to stay in the more rural parts of Taiwan.

Where exactly?

Hope you speak Chinese, or even better Taiwanese, and have a local phone number. Pickings are slim online at sites like 591.com.tw for rural areas so you might need to drive around wherever you want to live and look for giant red and white signs that have the character 租 and then a phone number. Bring a friend/classmate/colleague/craigslist buddy that can help with the language if need be.

And be prepared to pay rent in cash.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Also how long? Like if it's a vacation, you can probably find bed-and-breakfasts easy enough. If it's in a touristy-enough location you might be lucky enough to get English-capable operators, but I wouldn't want to bet on it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Moon Slayer posted:

Man, I don't know if it's societal pressure to start a family, a focus on studying instead of social interaction as a kid or just Taiwanese dudes being dense, but you see a lot of toxic relationships here. I've got two sets of neighbors that are young couples, and both of them are just always screaming at each other. :( At least nobody has been stabbed yet.

you're right; if they had a kid, they could've just sent them out for the pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

duckfarts posted:

you're right; if they had a kid, they could've just sent them out for the pizza
but that would pull the kid away from their homework!