Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Picked up a turntable recently after not having one forever, and found these in my stash of vinyl from the 90s. Totally forgot I picked them up.

Now I want to track down a bunch more Ween 45s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Pure Guava got repressed.

http://www.jsrdirect.com/bands/ween/music/ween-vinyl/pure-guava-vinyl

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Deaner just posted this on Facebook:

The Pod:

Deaner posted:

wow--chris buly just sent me this---it's the only picture (maybe there's one more lovely one?) of our recording space at The Pod, which was technically a tiny little dressing room next to our shared tiny rear end bedroom.

And this a few days ago, naming (most) of the people from the porch photo from the inside of Pure Guava:

Deaner posted:

Ok, from left to right---TOP ROW--Kristy, Kirk and Trina, Sarah and Aaron, Cribber and his girl, Deirdre, Marc, Andrew Weiss' feet---PORCH--Pat, Jefty, Leigh, brunette in purple, Joe (in back), Warren (w/ cigarette), David Anderson (r.i.p.), Me, Nancy, Guy (in blue tie dye and shades), forget, Billy--FEET ON GROUND--Lynn w/2 little kids, Ellen holding baby, redhead w little kid, Josh's dad w/baby doll, purple headed punker, the other Leigh, Kathy, and Claude---and last but not least, my loving dog Jimmy in very front of it all!

me your dad fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 23, 2015

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Just got back from the Dean Ween Group show in Pittsburgh. Owned so hard. They are playing really tight and they played something from just about every record. They played some Carpenters and some Hendrix. If they're playing near you, go see them.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Trey Anastasio, last night, Blossom Music Center, Cuyahoga Falls, OH posted:

I'd like to take a quick second to send a special message out to my friends Aaron and Mickey who are going to hear somehow through this. Guys it's time to get back together and start playing again, that's from me here at Blossom. Aaron and Mickey I hope you hear that. Ween - one of my all-time favorite bands - time to get back together and start playing.

Dammit, Trey, are you even paying attention? These dudes are done with each other for the forseeable.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

So back in September I first gave the Mollusk a listen and didn't think too much of it.

Fast forward to now and Ween is in my highest echelon of favourite musical acts.

At first I found them a little too jokey. Even their serious songs like She Wanted To Leave seemed halfhearted. The first time I listened to the Pod, it made me physically ill. Then I listened to it again and it became my favourite album for a little while. As I progressed through their discography I warmed up to their goofiness. They became one of my favourite bands by the time I was finished listening to Chocolate and Cheese, but I appreciated them even more after listening to White Pepper and Quebec, the latter becoming my new favourite album.

One of the biggest problems trying to explain Ween to my friends is that Ween can't really be classified easily. They're considered experimental rock but that genre label has much more serious and surreal connotations associated with it, at least for me. In my own vernacular, I consider Ween to be "Cartoon rock" because their music is not only colourful humourous, but they also sing in cartoony voices.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I compare them to Quentin Tarantino films. They're legitimate movies with lots of legitimate talent involved, but there's a certain absurdity that separates them from other "serious" films. They're also often homages to other music/movie genres as well.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I like when they rock.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

BANME.sh posted:

I compare them to Quentin Tarantino films. They're legitimate movies with lots of legitimate talent involved, but there's a certain absurdity that separates them from other "serious" films. They're also often homages to other music/movie genres as well.
In both instances the creator is insanely talented and also gives no fucks. If it worked, Ween did it. Gleefully tearing pages from the book of greats who came before them and making them theirs. They didn't concern themselves with image, which in itself was the image, the image of "brown." Tarantino likewise has the balls and the skills to do whatever genre, whatever pastiche, that he dreams up. If he digs it, it works.

Shots of feet : Tarantino :: Songs about meth : Ween

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Allen Wren posted:

Dammit, Trey, are you even paying attention? These dudes are done with each other for the forseeable.

Like I said, Deaner is kicking rear end on this tour. I think the Gener needs the Deaner, more than the Deaner needs the Gener. I'm glad Aaron isn't going to OD but I just can't seem to get behind anything he's done since the split.

DoubleCakes posted:

So back in September I first gave the Mollusk a listen and didn't think too much of it.

Fast forward to now and Ween is in my highest echelon of favourite musical acts.

At first I found them a little too jokey. Even their serious songs like She Wanted To Leave seemed halfhearted. The first time I listened to the Pod, it made me physically ill. Then I listened to it again and it became my favourite album for a little while. As I progressed through their discography I warmed up to their goofiness. They became one of my favourite bands by the time I was finished listening to Chocolate and Cheese, but I appreciated them even more after listening to White Pepper and Quebec, the latter becoming my new favourite album.

One of the biggest problems trying to explain Ween to my friends is that Ween can't really be classified easily. They're considered experimental rock but that genre label has much more serious and surreal connotations associated with it, at least for me. In my own vernacular, I consider Ween to be "Cartoon rock" because their music is not only colourful humourous, but they also sing in cartoony voices.

Go see Deaner, when he plays the stuff live, you gain an even greater appreciation for those songs. "Big Jilm" may be favorite live song, but the first time I heard it on record I was just baffled by it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hollis Brownsound posted:

Like I said, Deaner is kicking rear end on this tour. I think the Gener needs the Deaner, more than the Deaner needs the Gener. I'm glad Aaron isn't going to OD but I just can't seem to get behind anything he's done since the split.

Oh, I don't doubt it, I just feel it was a bonehead tone-deaf moment from a fan who just happens to have a microphone. I'd like to see the DWG, but as far as I'm aware, they haven't been through my town.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I thought DWG was still just touring Phily so I feel so dumb missing them when they were local. :qq:

Ween is what would happen if the Beatles followed the multi genre format of the White Album but went even more tongue in cheek.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

DoubleCakes posted:

I found one way of winning people over who always thought Ween was too jokey was to get them to listen to the live in Chicago album/DVD. That showcases some serious loving musicianship. They're tight as heck on that and I love the way production sounds on it. I had a couple of people who thought they were too jokey listen to that and then they went back and listened to some of the albums again with a whole new appreciation.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

thepokey posted:

I found one way of winning people over who always thought Ween was too jokey was to get them to listen to the live in Chicago album/DVD. That showcases some serious loving musicianship. They're tight as heck on that and I love the way production sounds on it. I had a couple of people who thought they were too jokey listen to that and then they went back and listened to some of the albums again with a whole new appreciation.

I always show people this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54uG7VoLvWQ

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I wish there was a better recording of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdewRzErNVc

Skttrbrain
Apr 6, 2008

BANME.sh posted:

I wish there was a better recording of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdewRzErNVc

Here is a great recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xHoX8JbTDg

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

I usually go for the Live in Chicago Johnny on the spot video. It's so drat tight.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Stoked for some Dean Ween Group next week! The setlists have been total Ween shows.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Yeah might as call it Ween minus Gene. Nice sets though, wish they would come through Wisconsin.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Haha that's great.

Also, my bad I always show people this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PL2hab9MSM

which I guess isn't the greatest introduction but I've always been a bigger fan of the earlier stuff without the full band.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 16, 2015

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Saw the Dean Ween Group in DC last night. It was a great show but I was very disappointed Glenn wasn't there (I read somewhere he was part of this tour). I got wayyyyy more drunk than I had planned and I only remember bits and pieces of getting home. Finally shook my hangover around 2:00 this afternoon (while taking care of our 7 month old twins, no less).

Does anyone know who the new vocalist is who filled in for Gener's parts?

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

me your dad posted:

Saw the Dean Ween Group in DC last night. It was a great show but I was very disappointed Glenn wasn't there (I read somewhere he was part of this tour). I got wayyyyy more drunk than I had planned and I only remember bits and pieces of getting home. Finally shook my hangover around 2:00 this afternoon (while taking care of our 7 month old twins, no less).

Does anyone know who the new vocalist is who filled in for Gener's parts?

I think his name is Scott something. I thought it was Glenn with longer hair, but I was kinda farther back on the balcony at that show.

The band was great, but that was by far the smallest crowd I've ever seen at the 9:30 Club. I've gone to a pretty fair amount of shows there over the last 5 years, and I'd say most of the ones I've gone to sold out. There were maybe 30-40 people on the balcony, which is usually pretty crowded, and there was a lot of empty floor space. It was kinda sad. Maybe a lot of people just didn't know Deaner was touring, but I can't help but wonder if the turnout was so low because Gener wasn't there. I just feel so bad for these guys that they're probably touring and playing these songs because they're broke after one of the band members unilaterally ended everything 3 years ago, and people aren't coming out to see them. But maybe it was just a small crowd in DC.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

I think his name is Scott something. I thought it was Glenn with longer hair, but I was kinda farther back on the balcony at that show.

The band was great, but that was by far the smallest crowd I've ever seen at the 9:30 Club. I've gone to a pretty fair amount of shows there over the last 5 years, and I'd say most of the ones I've gone to sold out. There were maybe 30-40 people on the balcony, which is usually pretty crowded, and there was a lot of empty floor space. It was kinda sad. Maybe a lot of people just didn't know Deaner was touring, but I can't help but wonder if the turnout was so low because Gener wasn't there. I just feel so bad for these guys that they're probably touring and playing these songs because they're broke after one of the band members unilaterally ended everything 3 years ago, and people aren't coming out to see them. But maybe it was just a small crowd in DC.

Pittsburgh was totally jam packed.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

Pittsburgh was totally jam packed.

That's good. Guess there just aren't a ton of Ween fans in DC

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

That's good. Guess there just aren't a ton of Ween fans in DC

that's unfortunate too because the 9:30 club is such a great venue.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

that's unfortunate too because the 9:30 club is such a great venue.

It really is, and the last two times he's been in the area he's gone to Baltimore. I don't recall how the audience sizes stacked up, but I hope he'll continue to come to DC for shows. An hour's drive home after a good show is a pretty big barrier to a rowdy night.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Double posting because a few people on Facebook are sharing some quality rarity compilations. They've all been released before I think, but the second link seems to contain higher-quality versions of tracks (such as Albino Sunburned Girl).

quote:

Considered by many to be the mother of all Ween bootlegs, Rotten Cheese is a six disc compilation showcasing the finest and brownest moments of Ween’s 1994-1995 Chocolate & Cheese tour. The comp was put together by Kirk Miller, Ween’s sound mixer during the tour so all the songs are straight off he board. There are plenty of highlights here including the 26 minute long “Poopship Destroyer” recorded in Hamburg, Germany, to obscurities like “I Get A Little Taste Of You” and “Dirty Money”.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6hmqg4pedzwtoxe/AACLT3vl-lluB6cG7zzCq31Ha?dl=0

quote:

Ween-B-Sides, Demos, & Rarities (4-Disc Comp.) Dropbox (I would consider this the best comp out there with 100 total tracks) I renamed all the tracks to their proper names as it was confusing.
If you want the lossless FLAC you will find it on Browntracker.net.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u2rhc2rdvb9b0fz/AACTsn8z34bWSiAnBsqj5sS6a?dl=0

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

That 4-disc comp is amazing, too. Tons of great songs I'd never heard before. Cornbread Red stands out to me as a stone cold classic and it's a shame that it's not on a more widespread release--the end of that song is incredible.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

The Balm posted:

That 4-disc comp is amazing, too. Tons of great songs I'd never heard before. Cornbread Red stands out to me as a stone cold classic and it's a shame that it's not on a more widespread release--the end of that song is incredible.

What, you didn't rush out to buy the Even If You Don't single in 2000?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Well, for me, I didn't even hear a song by Ween, let alone a b-side from them, until like sometime after Quebec was already out.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

BigFactory posted:

The Voodoo Lady single from 94 was pretty great too. There's a Pig is also an excellent song that I wish I'd heard sooner.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Allen Wren posted:

Well, for me, I didn't even hear a song by Ween, let alone a b-side from them, until like sometime after Quebec was already out.

I heard them the first time on beavis and butthead.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

me your dad posted:

Double posting because a few people on Facebook are sharing some quality rarity compilations. They've all been released before I think, but the second link seems to contain higher-quality versions of tracks (such as Albino Sunburned Girl).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6hmqg4pedzwtoxe/AACLT3vl-lluB6cG7zzCq31Ha?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u2rhc2rdvb9b0fz/AACTsn8z34bWSiAnBsqj5sS6a?dl=0

These links are dead, has anyone rehosted them anywhere?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

shmee posted:

These links are dead, has anyone rehosted them anywhere?

That sucks. I didn't even bother downloading them all yet since I figured they'd be there a while.

Edit: Mirror in these comments for the six disc Rotten Cheese set: https://www.reddit.com/r/ween/comments/3jnynv/ween_rotten_cheese_6_disc_mp3_named_mp3s_dropbox/

Mirror in these comments for the four disc set of rarities:
https://www.reddit.com/r/ween/comments/3jn0pu/weenbsides_demos_rarities_4disc_comp_mp3_dropbox/

:11tea:

me your dad fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 5, 2015

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

I'd thought the same, thanks for the links!

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

me your dad posted:

It really is, and the last two times he's been in the area he's gone to Baltimore. I don't recall how the audience sizes stacked up, but I hope he'll continue to come to DC for shows. An hour's drive home after a good show is a pretty big barrier to a rowdy night.

I think they would've been better suited for Black Cat on 14th St, or maybe even U St Music Hall. Gener played at Rock and Roll Hotel last October, but that place definitely would've been too small for DWG. I don't think Deaner should play 9:30 Club again unless Ween reunites. It was kinda cool being at a show that wasn't packed like the usual 9:30 shows, but you don't wanna play at venues where you can't fill the room.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BigFactory posted:

I heard them the first time on beavis and butthead.

I'm old enough that I was watching that show when it first came out, but somehow I never caught the/an episode with a Ween video in it. Bizarre.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Allen Wren posted:

I'm old enough that I was watching that show when it first came out, but somehow I never caught the/an episode with a Ween video in it. Bizarre.
PUSH THE LITTLE DAISIES AND MAKE THEM COME UP!!!

Beavis got into it :shobon:

Edit: http://youtu.be/6eZGBmT7r1A

pwn fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

That's how Ween became fairly well-known. For at least ten years after that episode, if I was describing Ween to someone, that was always a reference point to mention. It be framed as such:

"You ever see the Beavis and Butthead episode with the song Push the lil Daisies?"

"Yah"

"Well that's them except that's a terrible example of the their music and here you should listen to me talk about the band for two hours and be forced to listen to several albums so you understand the complexity one might grasp after every studio album plus a couple live shows."

I had a distaste for Push the lil Daisies for a very long time as a result of that episode until the version on Live in Toronto. I still don't like the studio track all that much but when done live, it can be pretty good.

Too bad there wasn't a video of Poopship. Ol' Beaver and Bunghole would have probably liked that one.

quote:

"These guys got no future"

me your dad fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 5, 2015