Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

DJExile posted:

Texas likely isn't beating them unless they're further into the Charlie Strong rebuild than I thought they were. They have some good choices at QB and their o-line looks gigantic. I heard they're averaging 315 lbs.

Clemson's probably the biggest test, being on the road, but I say that not really knowing how Stanford is supposed to look this year. USC game is probably a toss-up. They play Stanford and @ AZ State, but then get a bye and Washington before ND.

Speaking of the Charlie Strong rebuild, reports are coming out that there has been a second casualty today - 4* redshirt freshman RB Duke Catalon. I really hope that's just a depth chart thing. He was considered a good prospect but we do have 6 other RBs on scholarship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

The only other school that gets that much mileage out of an ancient title is UGA.

This gave me an idea. Top 25 all time win list and when they last won a title (or split one). Anything pre-1990 is bolded.

#1 Michigan 1997*
#2 Nebraska 1997*
#3 Notre Dame 1988
#4 Texas 2005
#5 Ohio State 2014
#6 Penn State 1986
#7 Alabama 2012
#8 Oklahoma 2000
#9 USC 2004
#10 Tennessee 1998
#11 Georgia 1980
#12 LSU 2007
#13 Auburn 2010
#14 West Virginia
#15 Georgia Tech 1990*
#16 Virginia Tech
#17 Syracuse 1959
#18 Texas A&M 1939(!)
#19 Pitt 1976
#20 Washington 1991*
#21 Arkansas 1964*(?)
#22 Florida 2008
#23 Clemson 1981
#24 Colorado 1990*
#25 Navy

I compiled this manually, so there's a good chance I missed something. Plus sorting through all the Florida, Alabama, Florida State, and Miamis got tricky.

Arkansas was odd because the final poll was before the bowl games. Alabama finished #1 but lost its bowl game, whereas Arkansas won and finished undefeated. Also, Texas A&M what the hell

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

1964 is our title by right, dang it :razorback:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Sash! posted:

Also, Texas A&M what the hell
Pretty sure A&M has a few Piggly Wiggly titles.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
I hope Notre Dame has a bad year and they fire Brian Kelly and then drift off into complete poo poo for a bunch of years again

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Also watching Te'o get his poo poo kicked in against Bama was one of the greatest things these eyes ever did see

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Also watching Te'o get his poo poo kicked in against Bama was one of the greatest things these eyes ever did see

For real. And his girlfriend is the greatest thing these eyes didn't see.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Reminder that Manti Te'o was always trash that was propped up by the Notre Dame propaganda wing

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Te'o's stats didn't blow the world away. (Jarvis Jones had a better season, if you wanted an LB at the Heisman ceremony.) And watching him live, he looked pudgy, short, and slow.

Faced with this, Te'o's supporters tossed out intangibles bullshit, how Te'o made ND's defense elite by his sweet tattoos and his heart and the Tom Rinaldi-bait backstory and herpa derpa doo. And I suppose he really was the heart and soul of that ND defense, as his teammates took his lead in the BCSCG and missed tackles just as bad as Te'o did.

Has there been a more overrated collegiate player in the 21st century?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

D.N. Nation posted:

Christian Hackenburg is the projected #1 pick of the 2016 NFL draft

Jeff Driskel was the #1 recruit of his class

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I like Hack and even I think that's confusing every time I see it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Raku posted:

Lol that Alabama game he was thrown to the wolves is still something of legend

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

D.N. Nation posted:

Trevor Knight after that bowl game (sugar bowl?) and before week 1

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008

D.N. Nation posted:

No. And it was the perfect storm of ND being relevant for the first real time in forever, him being a good (but far from great) player, and the whole dumb bullshit narrative that was built around him. He's full of grit and scrap and holds the team together all while his dying girlfriend is deathly dying of death, death death. Lethal, deathly, death. She died of that death, dead. She's dead. Dead. *crowd goes wild, votes him 2nd in the Heisman despite being a tan Max Bullough*

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Raku posted:

And there was this, but once those guys turned out to be no bueno, Florida fans readily admitted it. Meanwhile, you watch Te'o and have no idea why anyone thinks he's hot poo poo, but no, no, see, girlfriend tattoos yells to the sky after this one tackle he made heart soul heart soul heart soul. You watch highlights of him crapping the bed in Dolphins Stadium and hear the anguish in Herbstreit's voice when he has to admit that, yeah, Te'ooookiiiiiinnddaaatooookabaaadanglllle...

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
The only real way to understand how overrated Manti was is to watch every Eddie Lacy carry from the championship

so let's do that! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9NeqNEApgU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Sash! posted:

This gave me an idea. Top 25 all time win list and when they last won a title (or split one). Anything pre-1990 is bolded.

#6 Penn State 1986
#14 West Virginia
#16 Virginia Tech
#18 Texas A&M 1939(!)
#25 Navy

Great idea!

These are the ones that surprised me the most--although Navy has a title in 26 I think (split w/ Alabama of course :laffo:).

A&M not having a title since 39 is hilarious to me.

WVU and VT being that high on the all-time list :aaaaa:.

I guess I forget Penn State has had a super long dry-spell too. You guys were undefeated in 94 right? And started 97 #1 (Curtis Enis :fap:).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

LeeMajors posted:

I guess I forget Penn State has had a super long dry-spell too. You guys were undefeated in 94 right? And started 97 #1 (Curtis Enis :fap:).

Yeah, 1994 was undefeated. Preseason #1 in 1997 and spent most of the season as an undefeated #1 or #2 before losing in, like, week 11 and staggering to a 9-3 finish. Then spent 1999 as #2 behind Florida State until...the same point in the season, then also staggering to a 9-3 finish.

Those were the best chances since 1986 for a championship, although there's a pretty good chance to have at least played for one in 2005 and 2008.

With the addition of Nebraska, the Big Ten Network can now talk about how the Big Ten was a three team juggernaut in 1997 !

Oh yeah, Navy: I was using AP polls mainly and since that didn't exist back then, I didn't give Navy 1926.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Aug 12, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sash! posted:

#18 Texas A&M 1939(!)

When they say Old Army they're not kidding.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
This list reminds me that the NCAA restored all of Penn State's vacated wins and I'm mad again. No lasting impact at all.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Thoguh posted:

This list reminds me that the NCAA restored all of Penn State's vacated wins and I'm mad again. No lasting impact at all.

Would you say it ruined your weekend?

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Metapod posted:

Trevor Knight after that bowl game (sugar bowl?) and before week 1

Still love that being namedropped by Katy Perry made him suck.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

The only other school that gets that much mileage out of an ancient title is UGA. Clemson at least has the decency to flash some Woody Dantzler clips and hold a prayer meeting instead of reminiscing about 1981.

You must not hang around too many Clemson folks. The Lowcountry is mostly Gamecock territory, thankfully.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Raku posted:

Christian Hackenburg is the projected #1 pick of the 2016 NFL draft

I'm still not closing the book on him yet but seriously. This.

If he didn't have the resume he had coming out of high school he would have been benched half way through last season, and yet he's still a 1st rounder on most scouts' boards and even projected as a top 5 pick next year. I get that he has the size and can make the throws, but jesus Christ was he awful last season.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Raku posted:

The only real way to understand how overrated Manti was is to watch every Eddie Lacy carry from the championship

so let's do that! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9NeqNEApgU

I didn't watch the game because it was pretty apparent what was going to happen, so this is my first time watching these runs.

God drat.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Roll Tide

pillsburysoldier posted:

I didn't watch the game because it was pretty apparent what was going to happen, so this is my first time watching these runs.

God drat.

Yeldon looked just as good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnBa2LWwgfo

Raku fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 12, 2015

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Watching Notre Dame get exposed in the National title game was fun. Funny to think that Alabama came into that game ranked 2 and notre dame 1.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

RumbleFish posted:

You must not hang around too many Clemson folks. The Lowcountry is mostly Gamecock territory, thankfully.

I work in the country, so my exposure is much higher than it would be otherwise.

My best friend and his entire family are Clemson peeps and , outside of a commemorative clock in their living room and a 34 year old hat his dad wears to football games, I never hear a word about the 80s.

Contrast that with every UGA fan in the world talking about Herschel with each and every breath.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

LeeMajors posted:

Contrast that with every UGA fan in the world talking about Herschel with each and every breath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7RT5M44AVM

Sidenote: I consider Squidbillies to be way, way more realistic about north Georgia than it is meant to be.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Every Clemson fan in upstate SC has a major inferiority complex. They're constantly reminding me of all or their accomplishments, and that usually involves just talking about the 80's :-/

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

CharlestheHammer posted:

gently caress you too buddy.

I was traveling to Boise for work and decided to look up top tourist spots to see what I'd be doing in the evenings and the top thing on the list was literally a jail.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Pakled posted:

The most likely 3-game losing streak would be @Clemson, vs Navy, and vs USC in October.

Honestly I'm thinking GT will go into south bend and win.

And speaking as a Clemson fan and alum, no one under the age of 45* really mentions the nat'l championship anymore.

*This excludes homers from the more rural parts of the state who never went to Clemson

Scarf fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 12, 2015

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
That's ridiculous, you cherish that title forever, even when it is well and drat known that you bought it by being super duper SMU-levels of dirty.

VT is likely never going to win a national title in any sport and I will forever live with that fact, stop being spoiled asses and celebrate what you have or may your school never win another to punish your indifference.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Scarf posted:

Honestly I'm thinking GT will go into south bend and win.

And speaking as a Clemson fan and alum, no one under the age of 45* really mentions the nat'l championship anymore.

*This excludes homers from the more rural parts of the state who never went to Clemson

Sometimes it comes up in arguments with Gamecock fans.

"WELL AT LEAST WE WON A TITLE!!!"

lol

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Ehud posted:

Sometimes it comes up in arguments with Gamecock fans.

"WELL AT LEAST WE WON A TITLE!!!"

lol

Yeah, that's probably the only time it really comes up in conversation.

Personally, I prefer to remind them of their 0-11 1999 season.

edit: Also :laffo: at that kid leaving Texas and thinking he'll be picked up by anywhere relevant after leaving practice 3 days in because he didn't feel important and didn't get his preferred number.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 12, 2015

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Cherry's father had this awesome quote in the Austin America Statesman.

Cecil Cherry's Father posted:

“We’re not saying Texas is not a bad school. "

I forgot all about these gems from Cherry as a Vol Commit:

Cecil Cherry as a Vol Commit posted:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Jim Harbaugh needs to get off the computer so late at night.

http://imgur.com/a/SxBGS :nws:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

vyst posted:

Jim Harbaugh needs to get off the computer so late at night.

http://imgur.com/a/SxBGS :nws:

lmao what the hell

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Michigan facebook or whatever got hacked, hackers threw up a bunch of NSFW links shared on their page. Honestly that's what internet shenanigans should be about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
The funniest part is all the likes that poo poo got.

"Hell yeah, titties! I KNEW harbaugh was a real michigan man!

• Locked thread