Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

What about Cobra?

You go right to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

zoux posted:

What about Cobra?

I wasss once a fan.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

What about Cobra?

Cobra-La?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SirDan3k posted:

I wasss once a fan.

:golfclap:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funniest Wonder Woman trivia is still how Wonder Girl (Donna Troy) came about because Bob Haney didn't do research when creating the Teen Titans.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I've got a question about this guy.

Where does all the Rob Liefeld hatred come from?

Granted, he's not a very good artist, he can't draw feet for poo poo, and any improvements he's made over the years have been minor at best. Still, from everything I've seen, he's a pretty nice guy who loves working in comics, generally meets his deadlines, and is well-liked by his coworkers and most people who've spent time with him.

So, where does all the hatred come from? Is it because he was astronomically successful in a very short period of time despite being self-taught? Is it because he exemplifies 90s-style art, with all the pouches, gritted teeth and X-TREME attitude that implies? Or is there a dark side to Liefeld, and I've somehow missed the interview where he discusses kicking puppies and the economic benefits of apartheid?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't think anyone hates him personally, it's just all about his art, which is terrible. His writing is for poo poo too. He seems like a pretty chill dude otherwise though honestly.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Yep this is from Fantastic Four 57

The gypsy thing was most likely in Annual 2.

I love this picture because it looks like Doom's rolling his eyes, like "Christ even I don't believe this poo poo"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Deadpool posted:

I don't think anyone hates him personally, it's just all about his art, which is terrible. His writing is for poo poo too. He seems like a pretty chill dude otherwise though honestly.

Yeah I think that's pretty much it. By all accounts he's a really good guy, he just can't write or draw for poo poo and he's kind of the main force behind 90s XTREME stuff

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

He's a nice guy, apparently. He's also really, really bad at everything, literally. His most enduring addition to the medium is Deadpool, who started out as a blatant, unimaginative ripoff of DC's Deathstroke, who only found his current success as a walking image macro under other writers. He turned New Mutants, a critical and commercial hit featuring Bill loving Sienkiewicz on art into loving X-Force, which as much as it sold a bajillion copies was loving drivel and set the tone for the metal arms/glowing eye fetish of the next decade. As much as all of the artists who left Marvel for Image symbolize the worst of 90s comic books Liefeld is the worst of them. Most comics fans have let themselves stop caring about the likes of Erik Larsen and Jim Valentino but Liefeld has persisted as a symbolic representation of everything that was wrong with comics in the 90s. I think a lot of this is due to Heroes Reborn honestly. Seeing that guy drawing beloved icons like Cap and Thor really cemented him as some kind of comic book antichrist in a lot of people's minds.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

He was always super chill until his recent DC meltdown.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
didn't he make a video of himself driving? thats kinda dangerous

more so when you include that you are also drawing at the same time as driving and recording it for the Internet

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I've heard and seen enough things about Liefeld that I'm pretty sure he's not quite as gregarious and chill as he appears, but he's definitely not a raging rear end in a top hat either.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

ecavalli posted:

I've got a question about this guy.

Where does all the Rob Liefeld hatred come from?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDdW08NzPQU

ecavalli posted:

generally meets his deadlines

:stare:

He's a terrible artist with a terrible work ethic, though I think the rage at Liefeld himself is overblown.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rob Liefeld was the main reason why a lot of people simply stopped reading/buying American costumed hero funny papers in the nineties.

e: His (and, more importantly, his copy-cats') utter lack of skill probably ties with the fact you couldn't even read your shittily-drawn fantasy stories without buying at least five titles per month. (Not necessarily the same titles every month.) But the rear end art was still a major reason.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Aug 12, 2015

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

A lot of the Liefeld rage I think was more than the sum of his parts. It was more because of how influential, popular, and successful he was in that era. For a brief time, he was the artist, the one who set the tone, the one everyone wanted and if they couldn't get him, they tried to get the next guy like him. The problem was twofold:
1. The art was terrible. Simply terrible. Energetic and dynamic maybe, but terrible.
2. Every idea or contribution he had was "cool" like a high school kid drawing on his binder. Simple-minded adolescent power fantasies. But wait you cry! That's all comics! Yes. And his stuff was so bad it stuck out even in that field.

So he helped bring about this kind of neanderthal ethos (Bloodripper! Ripbloodman! Clawslash!) that was much larger than his actual output would indicate. And the result of that was so terrible, people hate him by proxy of being responsible for it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

One thing you can say about him though, man loves him some ribs

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Opopanax posted:

One thing you can say about him though, man loves him some ribs

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Didn't someone just today link a video talking about Rob ripping off Jack Kirby's widow?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

hadji murad posted:

didn't he make a video of himself driving? thats kinda dangerous

Inking a Hawk and Dove page while driving, which was probably a gag, but he still sure did it for the 45seconds of video.

e: I remember he was a big butthole on Twitter to people after getting canned from DC, like making GBS threads on Scott Snyder for some reason while Scott seemed just sympathetic and confused back.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Aug 12, 2015

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Rob is a cool guy to fans, but he did some pretty egregious things to peers while running his imprint of image like not paying employees and welching on agreements. I think some consensus is that he was just bad with money and not necessarily malicious like Pat Lee. He also did a lot of cocaine.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I hate Rob Leifeld because at several points in the past two decades, he has been the highest-paid person in America whose job it is to draw people, and he is incredibly bad at drawing people.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

What I'm getting from this flurry of responses is that Rob Liefeld is a terrible artist who inexplicably found success, and thus responsibility, which led to his making a number of poor business decisions. He's far from a saint, but as a person, he's relatively low on the totem pole of comic book industry assholes. Or, at least, far lower than anyone would expect based on the ire his name conjures up.

Alright. I'm satisfied. I also would've accepted hatred of his smug face and anger over Shatterstar's stupid dual-sword.

ecavalli fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Aug 12, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
More people probably hate Rob than hate John Byrne and that's just terrible.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Isn't Liefeld also a really big holy roller?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

hadji murad posted:

Isn't Liefeld also a really big holy roller?

That probably depends on what you mean by "holy roller."

Are you using the phrase colloquially to mean "overtly religious," or are you using it correctly to suggest Liefeld is a Pentecostal zealot?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Benito Cereno posted:

It doesn't help that the only WW story from about 1971-1985 that's in print is The Twelve Labors. The book really struggled to find a direction during that time, even at one point switching to being set on Earth-2 so that it could be closer to the TV show.

Twelve Labours was a JLA sort-of crossover as well, wasn't it? Martin Pasko (?) did it when he was writing both comics at the same time.

I actually did a Wonder Woman writers quiz back when I was still into making quizzes on Sporcle. Probably should update some of those things.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ecavalli posted:

What I'm getting from this flurry of responses is that Rob Liefeld is a terrible artist who inexplicably found success, and thus responsibility, which led to his making a number of poor business decisions. He's far from a saint, but as a person, he's relatively low on the totem pole of comic book industry assholes. Or, at least, far lower than anyone would expect based on the ire his name conjures up.

It's not that complicated.
There was a completely specific time for his grit teeth, big guns and pouches and he never grew out of it.
On the other hand look at Greg Capullo, who was a total Liefeldian early 90's contemporary, but now does incredible modern stuff in Batman.

He's just a joke.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 12, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhyno posted:

John Byrne put in many years as an excellent artist and he's written some good stuff, too. (Please note I am not saying he is a good person.)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Besides Byrne (as Cogburn), did Jack Kirby draw any other comics industry giant as a comic book supervillain? (Cameos and one-offs not included.)

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
There was Stan Lee as Funky Flashman and Roy Thomas as his lackey HouseRoy. (I actually think HouseRoy was the nastier portrayal of the two.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Look on the bright side, the reason for that is that most people on the street have no idea who John Byrne is, and that's pretty much what he deserves.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Travis343 posted:

He's a nice guy, apparently. He's also really, really bad at everything, literally. His most enduring addition to the medium is Deadpool, who started out as a blatant, unimaginative ripoff of DC's Deathstroke, who only found his current success as a walking image macro under other writers. He turned New Mutants, a critical and commercial hit featuring Bill loving Sienkiewicz on art into loving X-Force, which as much as it sold a bajillion copies was loving drivel and set the tone for the metal arms/glowing eye fetish of the next decade. As much as all of the artists who left Marvel for Image symbolize the worst of 90s comic books Liefeld is the worst of them. Most comics fans have let themselves stop caring about the likes of Erik Larsen and Jim Valentino but Liefeld has persisted as a symbolic representation of everything that was wrong with comics in the 90s. I think a lot of this is due to Heroes Reborn honestly. Seeing that guy drawing beloved icons like Cap and Thor really cemented him as some kind of comic book antichrist in a lot of people's minds.

I think it's a little disingenuous to imply Liefeld came on to New Mutants book right after Sienkiewicz, when it was at the top of its game.

Hilarious to think about though. Can you imagine Rob's Warlock in the nightmare scenario he faces in Mutant Massacre? It'd be so wrong.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I wonder if the price of New Mutants 98 will make up for the money I spent on 90s Image comics like Young Blood and Bloodstrike.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's the beef between Kirby and Stan Lee?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

zoux posted:

Just read Marvel Comics the Untold Story. That book may as well be called Stan Lee: A Dick For 75 Years

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HitTheTargets posted:

I think it's a little disingenuous to imply Liefeld came on to New Mutants book right after Sienkiewicz, when it was at the top of its game.

I think Sienkiewicz had actually been off NM for a while by the time Liefeld came aboard. At least a couple of years, surely?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

I got exactly what you're looking for dawg.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think Sienkiewicz had actually been off NM for a while by the time Liefeld came aboard. At least a couple of years, surely?

This is correct. Sienkiewicz was just #18-31. #31 was the September 1985 issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Unmature posted:

Just read Marvel Comics the Untold Story. That book may as well be called Stan Lee: A Dick For 75 Years

One thing that I got from that book was that Kirby started saying that Spiderman was his idea and the entire industry kind of gave off a "are you joking here" look. Has there ever been verification into the claim though? If not, why would Kirby have to claim that when he can already accurately claim to creating (or co-creating) stuff like Hulk, Captain America, Hulk etc?