Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

dogsicle posted:

but you can jump to spawn anytime, without a beakon :confused:

Huh, I didn't know that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

Internet Kraken posted:

If you're using a weapon with the sprinkler, you can throw it onto the platform from spawn for free meter!

Please do not distribute my patented early-echolocator strats.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Huh, I didn't know that!

Neither did a bunch of idiots who are using the beakon wrong.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

AmiYumi posted:

How loud do I have to scream there's no one there TAKE THE loving TOWER before it gets transmitted through the gamepad to my cowardly sniper-perched "teammates"? I can't count how many matches we've had where my final K/D is like 12:12 to their 0:1 because I was literally the only one doing any of the work.
See my previous post about most Charger players being useless like they always are in these games.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
splatfest owns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn7HJtiBPrU&t=105s

Dieting Hippo fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Aug 12, 2015

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I finally figured out something that had been bothering me relentlessly: Beakons at spawn. These aren't there because the person is unclear as to their use, they're there in case someone wants to bug out real quick back to the spawn to counter enemy action.

Actually they are there because I accidentally hit the sub button when I spawned :v:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Does the video get better because I watched a minute of that guy meticulously inking tiny spots when on the same map with the same weapon I'd have had several times the points and several kills and at least one Inkstrike by that time and I'm a bad player

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dieting Hippo posted:

splatfest owns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn7HJtiBPrU

edit:skip to 1:25 cause you cant embed and timestamp

Yeaaah, still not seeing anything of note :shrug:.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Yeah it doesnt even get kinda neat till like 2:50

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Dieting Hippo posted:

edit:skip to 1:25 cause you cant embed and timestamp

code:
[video type="youtube" start="85"]Qn7HJtiBPrU[/video]

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Puistokemisti posted:

code:

you gotta be squiddin' me!

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Internet Kraken posted:

Actually they are there because I accidentally hit the sub button when I spawned :v:

Basically, this. I used to think it was people placing them to jump back and they weren't aware you could do it without, but then I used a weapon with the Beakon and wound up dropping one about a third of the time completely on accident.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Puistokemisti posted:

code:

JET SQUID RADIOOOOOOOOOO!

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Onean posted:

Basically, this. I used to think it was people placing them to jump back and they weren't aware you could do it without, but then I used a weapon with the Beakon and wound up dropping one about a third of the time completely on accident.

Did someone replace your fingers with live eels or something?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

I always figured that at least sometimes it's someone using a weapon they haven't used in a while, then as the match starts they think "wait I forgot what the subweapon is on this, better check now"

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
At least have the sense to fix your idiotic spawn point Beakon mistake by immediately jumping to it. Otherwise I'll have to do it, wasting precious seconds of your teammate's time.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

pokeyman posted:

At least have the sense to fix your idiotic spawn point Beakon mistake by immediately jumping to it. Otherwise I'll have to do it, wasting precious seconds of your teammate's time.

Why would you even do this

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

BattleMaster posted:

Why would you even do this

so the rest of your team doesn't have to be reminded of your stupidity every time they respawn.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Inflammatory posted:

so the rest of your team doesn't have to be reminded of your stupidity every time they respawn.

I mean, why would you jump to a teammate's to destroy it. Let them wallow in their shame.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Finally finished the single player campaign last night! Took me a few hours to get past the second-last phase. Super enjoyable.

On another note, I've heard that Splatfests change in the last hour or so with dawn. As Australian ones finish at like 3am on monday mornings I haven't seen one. Do you guys have any vids?

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Andrew_1985 posted:

Finally finished the single player campaign last night! Took me a few hours to get past the second-last phase. Super enjoyable.

The single player campaign is pretty good. Could've been longer but it's pretty solid.

I'm really happy with this game. I almost didn't pick it up because of the metacritic reviews were low 80's. gently caress game reviewers.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Little_wh0re posted:

Did someone replace your fingers with live eels or something?

Hey, it's really easy to bump that button when picking up the gamepad after setting it down, which I do to browse the Web on my phone between matches. :colbert:

And maybe I exaggerated a bit. It's more like once in every dozen or so games.

Edit:

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

I'm really happy with this game. I almost didn't pick it up because of the metacritic reviews were low 80's. gently caress game reviewers.

Wait, what the hell? Ugh. Metacritic just needs to go away. :(

Onean fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 12, 2015

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Andrew_1985 posted:

On another note, I've heard that Splatfests change in the last hour or so with dawn. As Australian ones finish at like 3am on monday mornings I haven't seen one. Do you guys have any vids?

Haven't seen it myself but I assume they're the same as the single player Octoling maps (Kelp, Blackbelly, Bluefin & Saltspray)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The single player campaign is pretty good. Could've been longer but it's pretty solid.

Oh no, not the low 80's :ohdear:. That means a game is merely really good instead of extremely!

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh no, not the low 80's :ohdear:. That means a game is merely really good instead of extremely!

Which is inaccurate, as Splatoon is, objectively speaking, extremely good.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Sun rises from east, water is wet, Metacritic is garbage and should be ignored, life goes on.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
You know you're a Splatoon fan if you can identify EXACTLY the location in that picture.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

RadicalR posted:

You know you're a Splatoon fan if you can identify EXACTLY the location in that picture.

:stare: oh my god you're right

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Puistokemisti posted:

Sun rises from east, water is wet, Metacritic is garbage and should be ignored, life goes on.

This is like those Mistakes into Miracles pictures with nonsensical combinations of characters in one picture.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

How do you use the charger? I gave it a try a few times but since I'm still new to the game and not very good I felt pretty useless with it. I've seen other players use it well to control large open areas by oneshotting everything with pinpoint accuracy, but with its long narrow lines it feels so bad at actually covering ground that you're useless if you're not one of those twitch-reflex demigods. Is there something I'm missing about the "metagame" of playing with chargers?

I have a similar issue with rollers but I can kinda see what I'm supposed to be doing, based on how other players kill me it seems like you're supposed to use the flick/splash offensively, and only actually "roll" to cover ground when no enemies are nearby.

From what I've played I really like it, it feels like a nice throwback to N64 era 3d platformers. I wouldn't be surprised if the "this started as a Mario spin-off" rumors are true, you can really feel the Mario Sunshine heritage in a good way.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Tender Bender posted:

How do you use the charger? I gave it a try a few times but since I'm still new to the game and not very good I felt pretty useless with it. I've seen other players use it well to control large open areas by oneshotting everything with pinpoint accuracy, but with its long narrow lines it feels so bad at actually covering ground that you're useless if you're not one of those twitch-reflex demigods. Is there something I'm missing about the "metagame" of playing with chargers?
Are you playing Turf War? In other modes, it's a bit easier because action is usually centered around one objective, making it easier to pick off enemies and help the team. Turf War as a charger is tough, though, and you're pretty much always going to score poorly even if you are playing well and being helpful to your team, because as a charger your help mostly comes from shutting down enemy pushes and locking down areas, rather than scoring turf.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

arcsig posted:

Are you playing Turf War? In other modes, it's a bit easier because action is usually centered around one objective, making it easier to pick off enemies and help the team. Turf War as a charger is tough, though, and you're pretty much always going to score poorly even if you are playing well and being helpful to your team, because as a charger your help mostly comes from shutting down enemy pushes and locking down areas, rather than scoring turf.

Ah that might be it then because I've only played turf war, I wanted to level and get some good gear before jumping into ranked.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Tender Bender posted:

From what I've played I really like it, it feels like a nice throwback to N64 era 3d platformers. I wouldn't be surprised if the "this started as a Mario spin-off" rumors are true, you can really feel the Mario Sunshine heritage in a good way.

Nah, it actually had nothing to do with Mario to start with, it actually started with tofu, then moved to bunnies before settling on squids. (If you haven't yet read Splatoon's Iwata Asks, you really should when you get a chance.) Hell, they didn't even have anything for the single player campaign when the game was first announced at E3 2014. They only had one weapon, one stage and the scoring system wasn't even complete at the time. They cranked out the code to get what they had for release.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I've never felt as bad at video games as I have trying to get a grip on the e-liter in Turf War.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

Zeruel posted:

This is like those Mistakes into Miracles pictures with nonsensical combinations of characters in one picture.

They are all united by the common theme of 'squid' :ssh:

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Onean posted:

Nah, it actually had nothing to do with Mario to start with, it actually started with tofu, then moved to bunnies before settling on squids. (If you haven't yet read Splatoon's Iwata Asks, you really should when you get a chance.) Hell, they didn't even have anything for the single player campaign when the game was first announced at E3 2014. They only had one weapon, one stage and the scoring system wasn't even complete at the time. They cranked out the code to get what they had for release.

:stare: And we got a stable, fantastic game. Eat your heart out, Ubisoft.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Chronojam posted:

:golfclap: Lots of potential for that on Camp Triggerfish as well.

I got on the tower there and an enemy I was shooting at krakened to lunge at me, it was awesome. :)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Tender Bender posted:

Ah that might be it then because I've only played turf war, I wanted to level and get some good gear before jumping into ranked.

I mean, you're at the lowest rank already. There's no reason not to do ranked and level up faster that way because it's not like you can go down.

If you are going to play Turf War though be aware that picking a charger isn't conducive to laying down paint and will most likely gently caress you often on team composition since you can't see what you're going to be matched up with. I recommend you just bring a gun that can lay down a bunch of paint like the fountain pens and the sprayer weapons.

Splash-o-matic (Level 7)
Neo Splash-o-matic (Level 9)
Sploosh-o-matic (Level 12)

Aerospray MG (Level 7)
Aerospray RG (Level 13)

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I was using a luna blaster and my teammate was on a minigun, it was glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RadicalR posted:

:stare: And we got a stable, fantastic game. Eat your heart out, Ubisoft.

Ubisoft just hands down "do this poo poo, no changes" to a legion of codemonkeys which is why their big open-world games wind up lacking little individual touches and are mostly the same buildings reused ad-nauseam from a stock kit. Nintendo's guys were probably flying by the seat of their pants on half the stuff and making it up as they went. Which is how and why you get a much more interesting game on the whole.

• Locked thread