Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

cat pee snipe

edit: flyboi are you kidding me with this

quote:

4: Only put enough cat attract in a box so that it covers the bottom. Don't put any more than that, it should be a very thin coating of it. Every time your cat uses the box dump the entire litter out and then clean with the stuff from step 3. You will have to do this multiple times a day at first but eventually they aren't as persnickity about it.

I'm not doing that

Dans Macabre fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 8, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
So I ate some sweets that came covered in coconut shavings. My cat went wild for the coconut and ate all of it. While she was eating I googled "cat eating coconut" just to make sure it wasn't dangerous for her and I found this supposedly helpful page:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=0+1276&aid=1029

About what cats can't eat and it has a few odd ones like:

Grapes, raisins and currants: Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys.

Macadamia nuts: Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle.

Raw eggs Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.

Some of these answers seem more like generic fearmongering than genuine medical advice. How legitimate are they?

I never considered feeding my cat Macadamia nuts but some of these answers seem a bit vague.

It also leaves out important things like Paracetamol while still finding room to warn me against feeding my cat tobacco and marijuana.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Aug 9, 2015

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Any tips for kittens that love eating human food? We suspect that the previous owners fed him table scraps and the result is him trying to eat whatever we dont have our eyes on for a split second. We've never reinforced this behavior ourselves but its been about two weeks of squirting him with a water bottle, to no avail. In fact I think he stopped being scared of water at this point. Is this just a kitten thing he'll grow out of? It's becoming a hassle throwing him in a room if one person wants to eat peacefully.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Zephyrine posted:

So I ate some sweets that came covered in coconut shavings. My cat went wild for the coconut and ate all of it. While she was eating I googled "cat eating coconut" just to make sure it wasn't dangerous for her and I found this supposedly helpful page:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=0+1276&aid=1029

About what cats can't eat and it has a few odd ones like:

Grapes, raisins and currants: Contain an unknown toxin, which can damage the kidneys.

Macadamia nuts: Contain an unknown toxin, which can affect the digestive and nervous systems and muscle.

Raw eggs Contain an enzyme called avidin, which decreases the absorption of biotin (a B vitamin). This can lead to skin and hair coat problems. Raw eggs may also contain Salmonella.

Some of these answers seem more like generic fearmongering than genuine medical advice. How legitimate are they?

I never considered feeding my cat Macadamia nuts but some of these answers seem a bit vague.

It also leaves out important things like Paracetamol while still finding room to warn me against feeding my cat tobacco and marijuana.

Sounds pretty legitimate. Cats are small obligate carnivores. They aren't going to react the same way to plants that a much larger omnivore like us will.

Grapes, raisins, and currants are well known to be toxic to dogs and cats. Onions and garlic can cause severe anemia. Avidin binds with biotin, making it no longer bioavailable for absorption (If you cook eggs thoroughly that breaks the avidin down.)

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Dienes posted:

Sounds pretty legitimate. Cats are small obligate carnivores. They aren't going to react the same way to plants that a much larger omnivore like us will.

Grapes, raisins, and currants are well known to be toxic to dogs and cats. Onions and garlic can cause severe anemia. Avidin binds with biotin, making it no longer bioavailable for absorption (If you cook eggs thoroughly that breaks the avidin down.)

That's way more science than I deserve. My cat just gets cat food really and sometimes she gets to lick the inside of the lid on a Ben and Jerry's.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The thing about canned tuna is a bit worrisome because our cat refuses to eat any other wet food other than tuna.

I actually stopped by wondering if anyone knows how to take care of an ant problem in a manner that won't harm the cat. We've had ants all summer and they've been fairly tolerable but now they've discovered the cat's wet food and I don't know if they eat the kibble but I fear that that won't take long. We haven't put down any insecticide so as to avoid poisoning the cat, but if any of you have a good suggestion, I'd be happy to hear it.

At worst, we're leaving the flat for 3 weeks in September and the cat will also not be in the apartment. We figure that at that point we can poison the ants without much fear.

Thanks!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Put the dish inside another larger dish filled with water so you have a moat between the ants and your cat's food.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Huh that would certainly work. I wonder if she'd go for it. She usually eats most of the tuna in one go. It's the scraps that they go for, I've just been more vigilant about picking it up as soon as possible.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ancient secret from living in a tropical country. :ssh:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Every now and then my cats do SOMETHING that makes my brain twitch and go "your name is now cray bait". I'm assured that occasionally wanting to use your pets as crustacean food is perfectly normal....

Isaac has driven me up the wall tonight- they got revolution on their shoulders tonight and he's done everything in his power to try and lick it off- even soaking one side in drool and then leaning to the other to lick off the run off... I had to resort to filling a sink with water to knee depth and dunking all four feet and soaking them to give him something else to lick until the revolution dried on his back.

Stupid loving creatures

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The thing about canned tuna is a bit worrisome because our cat refuses to eat any other wet food other than tuna.

I actually stopped by wondering if anyone knows how to take care of an ant problem in a manner that won't harm the cat. We've had ants all summer and they've been fairly tolerable but now they've discovered the cat's wet food and I don't know if they eat the kibble but I fear that that won't take long. We haven't put down any insecticide so as to avoid poisoning the cat, but if any of you have a good suggestion, I'd be happy to hear it.

At worst, we're leaving the flat for 3 weeks in September and the cat will also not be in the apartment. We figure that at that point we can poison the ants without much fear.

Thanks!

Diatomaceous earth works miracles. I've used it to rapidly stop ant invasions three years running.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I have a loving cat who won't eat any wet food period. :argh: Motherfucker that poo poo is delicious and all the other cats go nuts for that poo poo but no I gotta buy the expensive dry food for your fat rear end.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Thanks!

We tried the water bowl trick too but this won't work if your cat is a messy eater - thanks to Decoy we just ended up with fetid cat biscuit soup because he has to drop a mouthful of biscuits on the floor before eating them.

What did work for us was getting a professional ant man to come and put pet safe poison on the outside of our house. No more ants and we live in an area swarming with them.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Has anyone tried the cayenne/vinegar spray to keep outside cats away? Does that work?

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Aug 7, 2016

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Tamarillo posted:

We tried the water bowl trick too but this won't work if your cat is a messy eater - thanks to Decoy we just ended up with fetid cat biscuit soup because he has to drop a mouthful of biscuits on the floor before eating them.

What did work for us was getting a professional ant man to come and put pet safe poison on the outside of our house. No more ants and we live in an area swarming with them.

We live on the 6th floor of a apartment building. I don't think we can afford a exterminator. Besides it's late in the summer and they'll be gone in another month most likely. I'm going to look for that Diatomaceous earth and figure out how it works. Assuming it doesn't kill the cat. She's a clean eater but picky so I don't know if she'd go for the new situation. My girlfriend doesn't really like the idea herself.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

We live on the 6th floor of a apartment building. I don't think we can afford a exterminator. Besides it's late in the summer and they'll be gone in another month most likely. I'm going to look for that Diatomaceous earth and figure out how it works. Assuming it doesn't kill the cat. She's a clean eater but picky so I don't know if she'd go for the new situation. My girlfriend doesn't really like the idea herself.

Terro Ant Bait gel works really well. The ants will take it back to the nest and kill the colony. When ants come to visit, I look for their path and apply the gel to on an index card and place the card on the trail in a place my cat can't reach. Even if you can't see a defined trail, putting the bait where a scout can run across it will get a horde of other ants in short order. The last pack of the gel I bought came with its own small labeled cards to ID spots you've applied it. It's easy to run a bead under baseboards or cabinet edges, too.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

With something like that there'd be no fear that an infected ant will be picked up by the cat itself?

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I have established a Relationship of Polite Mutual Avoidance with the Cat; as recommended in this Forum Thread I obtained a Citrus Solution (Pine O Cleen Lemon Lime Twist) and the scent of this Solution when applied liberally to my Clothing proved sufficient to repel the Cat with out causing significant Distress; the Cat now maintains a Steady Distance from my person and does not seek contact; it watches me constantly but I am no longer troubled by this Behaviour; as I know that the Cat will not impinge upon my Physical Space. Thank You for the advice offered with in this Thread; as well as the Interesting Facts regarding Feline Physiology and Psychology.

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
In addition I purchased a Toy for the Cat; this Toy is a Plastic Ball with a Bell contained therein; it jingles when tapped; the Cat frequently manipulates the Ball so as to provoke the Jingle Sound; it behaves as if the Ball is live prey (Pouncing; Stalking; Batting; etcetera). The Woman (the Owner of the Cat) says that this is an appropriate Toy; I hope that this Gift assures the Cat that I do not feel hostile toward it; that I do not dislike it; but I am not comfortable with Cats of any sort; even though it is a Benevolent Cat when compared to others of its Species; e.g. (for example) Feral Cats; and Poorly Trained Specimens.

Enhydra lutris
Apr 27, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

This is a Photograph of the Cat; I took this Photograph with my New Camera; the Cat is fit and sleek; it frequently follows me in the Garden but does not approach closely; I allow it to follow me because it requires Exercise to maintain a Healthy Weight; especially as it is an Ageing Cat (Eleven [11] Years Old). The Cat's name is Frankfurt.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

idgi

are these serious posts?

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

With something like that there'd be no fear that an infected ant will be picked up by the cat itself?

The active ingredient is Borax and it kills an ant within 24 hours, which gives it enough time to take the bait to the colony and get the other gatherers involved. Within a few days the infestation should be cleared. If you have a day or two to feed the cat in another space farther away from the trail/entry than the bait, or can do controlled feedings at the time, the ants shouldn't have enough time to carry and eat bait then find the cat food again.

If you temporarily move the food bowl, clean the new area and the bowl thoroughly so scouts can't use old trails to get straight to the food again. Kill any scouts you see meandering and make sure that the ants that have been attracted to the bait have enough to keep them busy because the ants will suddenly increase in number for a short while.

After the antageddon, clean the prior cat feeding area before putting the bowls back to eliminate old signals.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Enhydra lutris posted:

This is a Photograph of the Cat; I took this Photograph with my New Camera; the Cat is fit and sleek; it frequently follows me in the Garden but does not approach closely; I allow it to follow me because it requires Exercise to maintain a Healthy Weight; especially as it is an Ageing Cat (Eleven [11] Years Old). The Cat's name is Frankfurt.

Frankfurt looks nice. I'm glad things are working out for you and the cat. Maybe someday you will be friends.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

I got a hilarious dramatic email from my roommate about why he wants the cat kept on the porch. It includes reasons like: he pukes sometimes (I always clean it up), he sheds and his hair broke the vacuum cleaner (he's long haired, it's summer time, but his vacuum is a $60 piece of poo poo from Wal Mart that barely worked when I moved into the place in Jan) he meows sometimes, and he has to keep his door shut to keep the cat out of his room and he can't get the air conditioning from the hallway when he does that. So basically my roommate is a big baby who has had it up to HERE with my cat being a cat.

Moved him to my mom's this week while I house sit for her and he's thrilled that he gets to hang out with me again. Moving at the end of the month.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Puppy Galaxy posted:

I got a hilarious dramatic email from my roommate about why he wants the cat kept on the porch. It includes reasons like: he pukes sometimes (I always clean it up), he sheds and his hair broke the vacuum cleaner (he's long haired, it's summer time, but his vacuum is a $60 piece of poo poo from Wal Mart that barely worked when I moved into the place in Jan) he meows sometimes, and he has to keep his door shut to keep the cat out of his room and he can't get the air conditioning from the hallway when he does that. So basically my roommate is a big baby who has had it up to HERE with my cat being a cat.

Moved him to my mom's this week while I house sit for her and he's thrilled that he gets to hang out with me again. Moving at the end of the month.

Respond with an email on why the roommate should stay on the porch.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Puppy Galaxy posted:

poop on your roommate's poop to show him who's really the boss

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Really your roommate is just a douchebag

also do this:

Dienes posted:

Respond with an email on why the roommate should stay on the porch.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Honestly, he's not a bad dude - I've known him for years and have never had a problem with him. Just kinda stubborn/anal about his living space and sees inconveniences as major problems when they're really just ... inconveniences. I kinda think he expected me to feel terrible when he emailed me about the hell he's been put through with "the menace" that is my meowing cat with fur who likes to walk into rooms. His wife divorced him last year -- that's why he needed a roommate -- and I totally understand why.

He also owns the place so I don't have much of a choice. I'm just gonna move out at the end of the month.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Also start meowing when you are home for no reason and wander into his room and back out.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Drythe posted:

Also start meowing when you are home for no reason and wander into his room and back out.

I do sometimes meow at the cat. Maybe it's been me the whole time?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Puppy Galaxy posted:

"the menace" that is my meowing cat

Did he literally call your cat "the menace"? That's a pretty good name for a cat...

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Thanks!

Learnt this from a beekeeper - ants don't like cinnamon or chalk. It won't kill them, but they'll avoid crossing it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Hi!

What's the best carrier I can get to move a cat from California to Pennsylvania? She is a very pretty cat, and a very sweet cat, and deserves the most comfortable version of this harrowing experience that I can provide.

Edit: Shy fluffcat now added for sake of post enhancement.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 11, 2015

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

my cat is norris posted:

Hi!

What's the best carrier I can get to move a cat from California to Pennsylvania? She is a very pretty cat, and a very sweet cat, and deserves the most comfortable version of this harrowing experience that I can provide.

I don't know about long-haul travel, but my cats seem very happy with our new soft-sided carrier, one of the ones that look like a modified duffel bag. I don't think they have built-in food/water receptacles, though, which I imagine is an issue for you.

Antivehicular fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 11, 2015

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

This is my cat. As you can see, she is very comfortable around us. We adopted her when she was about 7 years old, and she had been staying with a foster for 2 years who was seriously considering adopting her because nobody seemed to want a middle-aged cat. For us, she's pretty much the perfect cat - she's talkative when she wants to be (which is usually with regards to food), will be little spoon when you nap/go to bed, will even go under the covers to sleep during the winter, and is overall very laid-back. She pretty much loves everyone she comes across, and it really doesn't take her that long to get comfortable enough for belly rubs (which are not traps - she seems to genuinely enjoy them). My only issue with her is that she horks up on the new rug (and nowhere else), but she does this very, very rarely since we realized the main cause of her horkitude was eating way too fast (a slow-feeding bowl has done wonders with regards to this). Also, it really isn't that much of an issue considering it doesn't take that long to clean up.

Also, she sleeps on my fiancee's face from time to time, which is always hilarious to wake up to.

my cat is norris posted:

Hi!

Your lap, or better yet the lap of the person in the front seat.

But in all seriousness, that might turn out to be more trouble than it's worth (depends on the cat - it could be the best idea). We've used a mid-size carrier to transport our cat, which works out alright - it's not too big that she'll slide all over the place in it, but it's also not so small that she has trouble getting comfortable. Honestly, the worst part is going to be when you take back country roads - if your cat gets carsick (like the one pictured above does), taking a lot of turns will not do you any favors. It was at that point that we let her out but kept her on the lap of the person in the front seat so that she could feel safe/comfortable.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Angrymog posted:

Learnt this from a beekeeper - ants don't like cinnamon or chalk. It won't kill them, but they'll avoid crossing it.

I've been moating the cat food with good success, but this is interesting to try, because I don't care having ants but I'd like them to not be in the kitchen. Thanks for all the suggestions!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Laps aren't an option, unfortunately. :(

I'll check out the soft crates, though. Thanks!

Skwid
Aug 20, 2011

I got tired of being a loser so I spent money to not be a loser anymore.
Apologies if this kind of issue has been dealt with elsewhere, but I've got a few questions regarding getting my cat ready for roommates.

In about 2 months or so my SO and I are planning on moving in with some of our friends in a 3br home somewhere. I've had the friends over a few times before and our cat (Dexter) will generally play shy but has hissed at them at least once every time they come by. They also want to adopt a dog from a friend of theirs, I've seen the dog and it's a very chill German Shepherd/Husky mix but I'm worried about Dexter reacting poorly to him and possibly causing fights.

Dexter is coming up on being 2 years old and has only ever really seen the inside of our little 1br apartment. He's playful but tends to get a little nippy. How can I start to acclimate him so there's not as much shock in November with a new house, new people, and a new dog?

Edit: Obligatory picture of cat in question.

Skwid fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Aug 12, 2015

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

I've finally moved somewhere quiet with a big garden so I've been introducing my indoor cats to the outdoors. So far all has been going well but a few days ago one of my cats came home drenched (pretty sure she fell in a pond) and has been in horrible form since then. She's not in pain that I can tell, but she hasn't been herself at all. Today the other cat came back the same way and she has completely turned on him, hissing, growling, taking swipes at him. Is there anything I can do to help this situation? Will they settle down after a while?

LeafyGreens fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Octolady posted:

I've finally moved somewhere quiet with a big garden so I've been introducing my indoor cats to the outdoors. So far all has been going well but a few days ago one of my cats came home drenched (pretty sure she fell in a pond) and has been in horrible form since then. She's not in pain that I can tell, but she hasn't been herself at all. Today the other cat came back the same way and she has completely turned on him, hissing, growling, taking swipes at him. Is there anything I can do to help this situation? Will they settle down after a while?

Do not let your cats outdoors. They will kill shitloads of local wildlife and get hurt/sick/killed.