Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

SaltLick posted:

There was a goon in this very thread doing this exact thing and he pulled the trigger and left his miserable job. Do that.

Did we ever hear back from the guy who was having serious medical issues from working like a maniac?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I'm not sure if it's a personal crisis speaking, but I don't think I can keep doping the work I'm doing anymore. I've hit a brick wall at the helpdesk level as it appears that no one wants to take a risk on hiring upwards someone without the papers, but has around 2 years experience in helldesk for mixed windows environments. I know a lot and talking with most people in the industry agree that I should move on to an administrator or engineer role be it junior or newish. The problem is I hit the HR wall and can't get over it. Things I hear is that I'll be told "Perfect" on the interviews, go in depth with what I'vew worked on, and then get a notification 2 weeks later that they'd like to pursue more seasoned candidates or take my application to a multilevel role to mean I want to apply to their helpdesk role.

I feel that no matter what I do, I'm just not getting ahead, don't have the time to study for any of the certifications that I need to get on with my life, career and all points between because I spent 14 hours a day trying to keep my head above water. I'm considering quitting, taking 2 months to get all the certifications I can get and then reentering the workforce with my affirmation of my current skillset. If this crazy or what? I have the knowledghe and the expeirnece, but none of the validation required to take this up to the next level.

If I was bringing down 30 hours of OT a week, I'd be getting blackout drunk when I got home Friday night and when I woke up Saturday afternoon, I'd be phoning a call girl so fancy she would come with her own bag of blow.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
It's not 30 hrs of OT a week, it's more like I commute like poo poo, have an off hours shift (lengthening the time it takes to get to/from work) so that I spend 12 hours commuting working, or doing work related activities (well more 14 now that I'm covering for leavers till we get new hires) and add another hour onto that for basic daily maintenance.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Did we ever hear back from the guy who was having serious medical issues from working like a maniac?

Who? Are we talking about potato head guy, whose boss threatened him alternately with violence and blackballing? I saw him in another thread in the forum, I think his lawyer told him to keep quiet.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Up and leaving a job without another one lined up is generally a bad idea. Do you have vacation or personal time? take that so you can study and take the test. If not, look for something else with sane hours. Gaps in your resume aren't the worst thing ever, but what if you can't find something else? Then you are hosed.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
Find a job WHILE you have a job. Take it from a guy who talks to people all the time with NO job.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Who? Are we talking about potato head guy, whose boss threatened him alternately with violence and blackballing? I saw him in another thread in the forum, I think his lawyer told him to keep quiet.

I think that's the guy.

I sometimes worry that we'll convince someone to quit an abusive job, they can't handle it and then they have a heart attack or worse.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

For the last four(?) years I've been specializing in the Microsoft stack and occasionally dabbling in AS/400 stuff. It's okay but I found it strangely more entertaining when I worked with legacy HP-UX/Solaris Systems and troubleshooting 50+ interconnected cron jobs.

I'd really like to go back to that but I am little unclear on exactly what that path would look like other than the Linux+ and RHCSA are probably apart of it.

If you're doing rhcsa, I'd skip Linux+. But guys with traditional unix experience don't usually have a lot of trouble getting in. I'd probably go to a generalist admin position that's Linux/windows at a smaller shop (they'll hire you to do 50% Linux work with hp-ux experience and a little luck in the interview given that it sounds like it's been a little while) and specialize more if you want to.

Tab8715 posted:

I'm comfortable spinning up VMs at home, studying and experiment but when it comes to trying to get a feel for the Linux Community, History or Ecosystem my eyes start to glaze over.
The community and history also make my eyes glaze over. I'm into open source and everything, but the zealots and people who've never really had to make Linux do anything complicated comprise enough of the community that it's hard.

The ecosystem is something (like windows) that you just get a feel for. Work with it and you start reading the Linux thread or hacker news or whatever, and you'll see trends come and go the same way as you already see it for windows if you read the windows threads.

Elucidarius
Oct 14, 2006

psydude posted:

Security is already a lucrative branch. Consulting means you're also a revenue generator. To give you an idea, several pf our CCIEs make well north of 200k per year.

The thing about consulting is that you can't be an angry IT nerd. You're not removing Spyware from Sweaty Steve's laptop for the 27th time, you're providing a service to a customer that's seeking your expertise on something they either don't understand or don't have the time or resources to do. So soft skills and time management become HUGE.
Well, this sounds ideal for me to be entirely honest. I love information security and love what I do currently.

flosofl posted:

You're going to be W-2 hourly?

That's part of it. The other part is security is a high demand profession. Good security professionals (as in not monkey see alert, monkey press button) are difficult to come by in some markets. Running a tool is easy, understanding what the results mean, doing post-mortems, remediation and recovery is not.

You mention entry level, what kind of responsibilities will you have?
I haven't been offered a position but I'm trying to be prepared to say yes/no if I am offered. I have a final interview (had 3 already) where I will ask what sort of things I'll be responsible for. From what I've been told it seems that I'll be supporting a senior consultant and will essentially be provided on the job training.

skipdogg posted:

What kind of consulting? You going to be flying every Sunday night and back home Friday afternoon? What's the workload like? I bet it's not a 40hr/week job. IS gigs pay really really well, but make sure you know what you're getting into. Is 100K a year really worth weekly travel and 60 hour workweeks?
If the company I currently worked at asked me to do this I'd do it in a heartbeat. The only issue is I don't know how the company I'd be consulting with is.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Methanar posted:

:unsmith:

I've never seen 10% of this many resources in one place before. I don't know what I'm doing.

I still get a little bit excited when I log onto our UCS we got a month or two back. Such power in one place (waiting for you guys to come along with 2TB of RAM per server)

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
We bought a PowerEdge R820 with 4 E5-4657L v2 Xeons and 128 GB RAM to run Orcaflex, a marine calculation program.

NUMA can't be disabled with this configuration, and Orcaflex isn't NUMA aware, so it would only run at 1% CPU due to scheduling and allocation issues. I had to remove one CPU, which disables another one and half the RAM.

I just looked up the CPUs now, they are $6000 each, I was holding one in my hand and thinking "Sure, I'll just put this in some bubble wrap"

So $12000 in CPUs and who knows how much in RAM, wasted.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Just sent my formal proposal to create a junior admin position beneath me to management.

The verbal conversation was promising "we have the money so write it up".

Here's hoping

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

I'm not sure if it's a personal crisis speaking, but I don't think I can keep doping the work I'm doing anymore. I've hit a brick wall at the helpdesk level as it appears that no one wants to take a risk on hiring upwards someone without the papers, but has around 2 years experience in helldesk for mixed windows environments. I know a lot and talking with most people in the industry agree that I should move on to an administrator or engineer role be it junior or newish. The problem is I hit the HR wall and can't get over it. Things I hear is that I'll be told "Perfect" on the interviews, go in depth with what I'vew worked on, and then get a notification 2 weeks later that they'd like to pursue more seasoned candidates or take my application to a multilevel role to mean I want to apply to their helpdesk role.

I feel that no matter what I do, I'm just not getting ahead, don't have the time to study for any of the certifications that I need to get on with my life, career and all points between because I spent 14 hours a day trying to keep my head above water. I'm considering quitting, taking 2 months to get all the certifications I can get and then reentering the workforce with my affirmation of my current skillset. If this crazy or what? I have the knowledghe and the expeirnece, but none of the validation required to take this up to the next level.

Two things that may help. One is that on your resume list any projects that you were a part of that were above and beyond typical help desk responsibilities. I know when I made the jump from helpdesk to sysadmin it wasnt as big of a deal because I had already been doing a lot of that type of work without the pay and title. So if you configure anything on servers, provision servers, do advanced networking setup or troubleshooting, script in powershell or python, etc make sure to list it.

Second and perhaps shady and ethically questionable is to just change your job title on previous jobs. If you were doing sysadmin work but it was a small company or something and they had you listed as Computer Network Tech or Helpdesk Tech just put system admin. If you're already doing that level of work without the title and can back it up with experience and knowledge just put that as your job title. Most job titles are meaningless in IT anyway. For example all of the "senior windows administrator" jobs that get forwarded to me by recruiters that appear to be little more than helpdesk/AD jobs.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

skipdogg posted:

What kind of consulting? You going to be flying every Sunday night and back home Friday afternoon? What's the workload like? I bet it's not a 40hr/week job. IS gigs pay really really well, but make sure you know what you're getting into. Is 100K a year really worth weekly travel and 60 hour workweeks?

This is a pretty common misconception among a lot of the customers I work with. It's pretty rare that anyone I know at my company or the other companies in the area works more than 40 hours per week, and if we do then there's comp time involved (plus consulting firms tend to be incredibly flexible with works hours due to their nature). Occasionally some projects will see you spending several weeks out at another customer site across the country, but that's generally a once or twice a year thing, and to me it's generally worth not having to drive to the same office every day and deal with the same environment. Like all things, it depends on the individual - if you're married and have young kids, or are taking care of a sick family member or something, then yeah, it can be burdensome. But if you're single and like to travel, it's great.

With that being said, it's definitely a good idea to ask about these things in the interview, particularly in the technical phone screening when you're on the phone with an actual engineer that works there.

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 12, 2015

May 14, 2003

BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY BIRTHDAY FRUITCAKE!

psydude posted:

This is a pretty common misconception among a lot of the customers I work with. It's pretty rare that anyone I know at my company or the other companies in the area works more than 40 hours per week, and if we do then there's comp time involved (plus consulting firms tend to be incredibly flexible with works hours due to their nature). Occasionally some projects will see you spending several weeks out at another customer site across the country, but that's generally a once or twice a year thing, and to me it's generally worth not having to drive to the same office every day and deal with the same environment. Like all things, it depends on the individual - if you're married and have young kids, or are taking care of a sick family member or something, then yeah, it can be burdensome. But if you're single and like to travel, it's great.

With that being said, it's definitely a good idea to ask about these things in the interview, particularly in the technical phone screening when you're on the phone with an actual engineer that works there.

When I was traveling as a consultant I'd typically fly in Sunday night or Monday morning and fly home Thursday afternoons. I typically didn't spend 40 hour work weeks onsite unless a shitstorm was brewing or if they basically bought an expensive resident to do staff augmentation.

It's definitely worth looking into if you're single and/or want to travel. Also depending on your region you might spend a lot of time at "home base' too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

evobatman posted:

We bought a PowerEdge R820 with 4 E5-4657L v2 Xeons and 128 GB RAM to run Orcaflex, a marine calculation program.

NUMA can't be disabled with this configuration, and Orcaflex isn't NUMA aware, so it would only run at 1% CPU due to scheduling and allocation issues. I had to remove one CPU, which disables another one and half the RAM.

I just looked up the CPUs now, they are $6000 each, I was holding one in my hand and thinking "Sure, I'll just put this in some bubble wrap"

So $12000 in CPUs and who knows how much in RAM, wasted.

I feel like this is something that should have been checked in advance.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm not super familiar with how NUMA works with the software (I thought it was an OS-level thing), but maybe try virtualizing the system and see if that abstracts it away for you?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

NUMA is a hardware feature, it is never going to be a BIOS setting. The 4657v2 does have the fastest system bus of that generation though.

From the website that app looks very much a desktop only piece so throwing server hardware at it seems a little foolish. I guess you can use HyperV to run a Windows instance per NUMA node and a copy of the app in each.

I'm not sure I would not have just tried out Amazon or Azure hosted desktop first, RDPv8 is pretty spiffy these days. Then it is a lot easier to follow hardware upgrades.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

MrMoo posted:

NUMA is a hardware feature, it is never going to be a BIOS setting.
Memory is always going to be a different distance from the CPU, but I think in this context it refers to cross-node interleaving.

I've seen problems with some NUMA latency in memory-bound applications under early HT/QPI implementations on 4-socket boxes, since some memory would be extremely distant (2 hops away from the CPU), but I think since Sandy Bridge there are more than enough QPI links to fully connect a 4-way box. I'd be really surprised if this ended up being strictly a NUMA issue.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Vulture Culture posted:

Memory is always going to be a different distance from the CPU, but I think in this context it refers to cross-node interleaving.

I've seen problems with some NUMA latency in memory-bound applications under early HT/QPI implementations on 4-socket boxes, since some memory would be extremely distant (2 hops away from the CPU), but I think since Sandy Bridge there are more than enough QPI links to fully connect a 4-way box. I'd be really surprised if this ended up being strictly a NUMA issue.

According to ARK, that specific processor has 2 QPI links. I think you need an e7 proc for more than that.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Docjowles posted:

Probably moving to OpenStack for management of VM's (not sure if I consider this good or not :smithicide:)
My OpenStack cluster just hit 300 hosts, I think it's now a "large cluster"

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Vulture Culture posted:

My OpenStack cluster just hit 300 hosts, I think it's now a "large cluster"
Out of curiosity, how many guests does that service?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

adorai posted:

Out of curiosity, how many guests does that service?
I don't think I can comment on that, but I can say that we run single-tenant and at a fairly low density.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
fart

Chickenwalker fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 23, 2018

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Chickenwalker posted:

You can disable NUMA from the BIOS menu on HP Z820s :eng101:
Your CPUs still have non-uniform access, you're just hiding that fact from the OS so it won't use that to make topology-aware decisions about placement. It won't magically offload memory to an off-CPU northbridge chip like we're in 2007 again.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
So I've got to be doing something right cause I'm getting a roughly 75% application to callback ratio and I've so far scheduled three on site interviews since the last straw broke for me last week at my current helldesk. Let's see where this all goes

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

So I've got to be doing something right cause I'm getting a roughly 75% application to callback ratio and I've so far scheduled three on site interviews since the last straw broke for me last week at my current helldesk. Let's see where this all goes

Make sure to mention in your interviews that you're looking for an environment that encourages continued education and you're eager to put in time for certifications. Mention a cert in particular that you want first. It's the next best thing to actually having the certs.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
I worked help desk for 3.5 years and left my job a few weeks ago. Trying to move up in IT (eventual long term goal is Exchange/Messaging admin) and am avoiding any more help desk as I think I've done enough for 10 lifetimes and it doesn't help my career at this point.
I got my A+ last week to help a bit with the job search for now, the market in my area demands one to get past many HR screens.

I've been looking at Desktop Support jobs and have two interviews this week, but a friend today (who happens to be a NOC Manager) said he has a NOC operator job opening and could probably get me in pretty easily. I actually do not really want to do Desktop Support since it is so similar to Help Desk, but view it as a stepping stone. I haven't though about NOC before but I've had a few recruiters also email/call me about NOC openings.

So basically I am wondering between Deskside Tech vs. NOC Operator, has anyone had experience with either/both?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Meta Ridley posted:

I worked help desk for 3.5 years and left my job a few weeks ago. Trying to move up in IT (eventual long term goal is Exchange/Messaging admin) and am avoiding any more help desk as I think I've done enough for 10 lifetimes and it doesn't help my career at this point.
I got my A+ last week to help a bit with the job search for now, the market in my area demands one to get past many HR screens.

I've been looking at Desktop Support jobs and have two interviews this week, but a friend today (who happens to be a NOC Manager) said he has a NOC operator job opening and could probably get me in pretty easily. I actually do not really want to do Desktop Support since it is so similar to Help Desk, but view it as a stepping stone. I haven't though about NOC before but I've had a few recruiters also email/call me about NOC openings.

So basically I am wondering between Deskside Tech vs. NOC Operator, has anyone had experience with either/both?

As a NOC operator, you'll typically be involved with monitoring and triaging issues and possibly opening and dealing with tickets as a Tier 1 escalated to the NOC. You may or may not do some minor tasks or troubleshooting against a run-book. You'll probably be dealing with IT personnel and not end-users (although that can be an whole other pain in the rear end). Know your networking basics. IPv4, how masks work, TCPvUDP, that kind of stuff.

This is a step towards networking and infrastructure, so if you have an interest I'd say go for it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

flosofl posted:

You'll probably be dealing with IT personnel and not end-users (although that can be an whole other pain in the rear end).

This is how I imagine the techs at Rackspace feel about us.

End-users typically think they know more than you, and are very wrong. IT personnel often do know more than you, and when your poo poo is loving up, they don't have time for it.

Meta Ridley posted:

If you're fully qualified for the job description, you're over qualified. Aim higher!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

evol262 posted:

The community and history also make my eyes glaze over. I'm into open source and everything, but the zealots and people who've never really had to make Linux do anything complicated comprise enough of the community that it's hard.

The ecosystem is something (like windows) that you just get a feel for. Work with it and you start reading the Linux thread or hacker news or whatever, and you'll see trends come and go the same way as you already see it for windows if you read the windows threads.

I started IT life as a *nix admin, and I've never paid much attention to the community or the history. It's fluff and unnecessary information. What I need to do is get sendmail working. At no point does this require I have any knowledge about what dick measuring contest linux torvalds is engaging in today. Or what kernal developer hates the other. Or what version of ______ software was the first to integrate with PHP. Linux grognards bask in this meaningless knowledge that doesn't actually move you forward on the path to getting loving sendmail working.

So I ignore them.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
gently caress recruiters.

"We're a competitor and want you to work for us. We offer less pay, less systems access as you'll be on tier 1 and we want to relocate you to SoMD in the DC metro area, but the benefits are GREEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAT"

"So you're paying me less, moving me away from my girlfriend, and offering me $1000 dollars extra to move all my worldly possessions down to the outskirts of DC for 10k less than I'm making now."

Of course the less access and less pay parts come out after everything else and wasting a half hour of my time running the least structured interview I've ever taken part of.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

^^^^ Flipside: DC job market is awesome and you could jump ship very easily, but yes - gently caress recruiters regardless ^^^^

Guys; we're approaching my favorite time of year: end of fiscal year blowout buy everything time :woop:

I just got confirmation I get to basically re-spend my annual budget over the next 30 days. :getin:

edit: Any things I should look at that are just too cool not to consider - we're pretty stable generally speaking on infrastructure/licenses/environment? I'm going to replace our aging routing and switching infrastructure, but that'll eat up a third of it at most. Probably commit some of it to an AWS enterprise agreement... but that's about all I've got in mind. Help figure out whats worth pursuing. It's use it or lose it guys. Use it or lose it.

Walked fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 13, 2015

mewse
May 2, 2006

My office was sending a bunch of Watchguard XTM 5s to recycling so I took home a couple to play with. Disregarding the software, they're basically rackmount 1U x86 boxes with 6x intel gigabit nics.

So I turned one into my project box and performed the following:

• Replaced all the 40mm fans with silent versions
  • Flashed the BIOS with one that has all features unlocked
  • Loaded pfSense on to the compact flash card
  • Replaced the Celeron 440 with a Xeon L5420 using a LGA771->LGA775 sticker

I'm particularly satisfied with the processor replacement: the machine went from a 1 core 2GHz to a quad core 2.5Gz.

After all this work I'm sitting here thinking "Why??" I don't need some suped up firewall for my one bedroom apartment. What the hell motivated me to create this thing

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Walked posted:

^^^^ Flipside: DC job market is awesome and you could jump ship very easily, but yes - gently caress recruiters regardless ^^^^

Guys; we're approaching my favorite time of year: end of fiscal year blowout buy everything time :woop:

I just got confirmation I get to basically re-spend my annual budget over the next 30 days. :getin:

edit: Any things I should look at that are just too cool not to consider - we're pretty stable generally speaking on infrastructure/licenses/environment? I'm going to replace our aging routing and switching infrastructure, but that'll eat up a third of it at most. Probably commit some of it to an AWS enterprise agreement... but that's about all I've got in mind. Help figure out whats worth pursuing. It's use it or lose it guys. Use it or lose it.

CBT Nuggets subscription?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

CBT Nuggets subscription?

Already have PluralSight, MSDN, and Oreilly Safari Books. But not a bad idea; I'll throw it on the list as a "why not"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Walked posted:

Spare pool + exact copy of prod env for testing.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Walked posted:

Already have PluralSight, MSDN, and Oreilly Safari Books. But not a bad idea; I'll throw it on the list as a "why not"
I think you get diminishing returns if you have too much training material, not like you could possibly use all of it. I say start angling for a home lab or something.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

mewse posted:

My office was sending a bunch of Watchguard XTM 5s to recycling so I took home a couple to play with. Disregarding the software, they're basically rackmount 1U x86 boxes with 6x intel gigabit nics.

I'm particularly satisfied with the processor replacement: the machine went from a 1 core 2GHz to a quad core 2.5Gz.

After all this work I'm sitting here thinking "Why??" I don't need some suped up firewall for my one bedroom apartment. What the hell motivated me to create this thing

Put RouterOS on it and :getin:
A buddy of mine is developing DDOS defenses using some serious proprietary hardware and RouterOS. Like 10Gb sustained traffic mitigation.

That or you could build a NAS, because reasons.

Edit: oh!!! or you could install vmware on ubuntu and run a virtualized instance of Amahi (it's really fun to play around with)
https://www.amahi.org/

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

mewse posted:

I think what you did is neat. :frogc00l: