Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

evilweasel posted:

Bad votes on some issues is better than bad votes on all issues.

Debbie W-S, I think we've got a new slogan for you! "Vote Dem; our votes are only lovely half the time, instead of all the time."

(Bonus irony points to EW, who has argued in the past that getting better Dems takes primary challenges, although he's never met a Republican-turned-Dem he hasn't loved and deemed too worthy of such a challenge. I shudder to think of his torment should Murphy & Crist ever decide to run for the same office.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Who's getting the D ticket for the Reid seat and I hope to god there's a thing I can use to convince other people to vote for them?

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Grognan posted:

Who's getting the D ticket for the Reid seat and I hope to god there's a thing I can use to convince other people to vote for them?

Almost certain to be former NV AG Catherine Cortez Masto. She seems to be a pretty popular Dem in the state, having previously won statewide office twice, and with Sandoval not jumping in on the R side, the Dems stand a fair chance of holding the seat.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Willa Rogers posted:

Debbie W-S, I think we've got a new slogan for you! "Vote Dem; our votes are only lovely half the time, instead of all the time."

(Bonus irony points to EW, who has argued in the past that getting better Dems takes primary challenges, although he's never met a Republican-turned-Dem he hasn't loved and deemed too worthy of such a challenge. I shudder to think of his torment should Murphy & Crist ever decide to run for the same office.)

The weighting matters. 1 bad vote on Iraq vs. 100 good votes on post office names doesn't balance the scale.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Cliff Racer posted:

Yeah, procedural. I don't think that the Planned Parenthood vote will hurt Toomey much either, if at all. Abortion hasn't been much of an issue around here, as far as I can see. With Specter we had been electing a pro-choice Republican for ages and between the two Caseys you can say the same for electing pro-life Democrats.

I do miss Arlen Specter. Shortly before he lost his primary, a friend got us a guided tour of the Capital building through a charity thing from his office, and we were supposed to meet him...but the scheduling got messed up and while we still got the tour, he was not in DC that week.

Casey voted in favor of PP, and I don't think it's so much the pro-life thing that will hurt Toomey as it is the "women's health" thing, something that McGinty will hammer from the day [if] she wins her primary, to the general.

Toomey's biggest problem is going to the suburbs. Philly is a lost cause for republicans and Pennsyltucky is firmly red. The suburbs like Bucks and MontCo are filled with upper middle class folks who would love to vote for a moderate republican, but are very socially liberally.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Willa Rogers posted:

I've actually repeatedly pointed to people who should get primaried. I can see, however, you don't remember that as much as you remember me mocking your magical thinking about how electing actual republicans is secretly good for the democratic party and the country as a whole.

Though to be fair you don't even usually bother trying, since even you can't make yourself believe that sort of magical thinking: instead, you try to just divert attention as much as possible through dumb posts like this and studiously refuse to discuss "actual reality", and instead parrot Republican memes and insist that no, they're secretly liberal memes.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

evilweasel posted:

I've actually repeatedly pointed to people who should get primaried. I can see, however, you don't remember that as much as you remember me mocking your magical thinking about how electing actual republicans is secretly good for the democratic party and the country as a whole.

Though to be fair you don't even usually bother trying, since even you can't make yourself believe that sort of magical thinking: instead, you try to just divert attention as much as possible through dumb posts like this and studiously refuse to discuss "actual reality", and instead parrot Republican memes and insist that no, they're secretly liberal memes.

Your spittle's a word salad without any actual examples, and resorts to your laughable "Willa's a secret Republican!" bullshit to boot.

Medicare-for-all and an expanded welfare state are deffo GOP memes, as is the desire that the DNC spend money + time toward actual candidate development rather than siphoning off loser Republicans like Crist and Specter. :raise:

Feather posted:

The weighting matters. 1 bad vote on Iraq vs. 100 good votes on post office names doesn't balance the scale.

Totally. And I think that FL Dems likely could do better than both Murphy or Grayson if enough resources were put into the development of state-level pols instead of the party's reflexive embrace of DINOs under the mistaken belief that being more like the GOP is good for Dems.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Willa Rogers posted:

Totally. And I think that FL Dems likely could do better than both Murphy or Grayson if enough resources were put into the development of state-level pols instead of the party's reflexive embrace of DINOs under the mistaken belief that being more like the GOP is good for Dems.

Well if course it would. Unfortunately OFA kind of cemented the whole "POTUS matters more than anything else" meme. The entire DNC/OFA worldview is to target POTUS and only those regional federal offices deemed necessary for the primary mission. The sorry state of affairs in the party is deliberate.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Feather posted:

Well if course it would. Unfortunately OFA kind of cemented the whole "POTUS matters more than anything else" meme. The entire DNC/OFA worldview is to target POTUS and only those regional federal offices deemed necessary for the primary mission. The sorry state of affairs in the party is deliberate.

Yah, and Debbie W-S, who a few years ago declined to support the Dem running against "her friend across the aisle," and who's continuing as the chair of the DNC--even after the abortion that was the 2014 midterm election--is a fitting figurehead for the party.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Willa Rogers posted:

Your spittle's a word salad without any actual examples, and resorts to your laughable "Willa's a secret Republican!" bullshit to boot.

Medicare-for-all and an expanded welfare state are deffo GOP memes, as is the desire that the DNC spend money + time toward actual candidate development rather than siphoning off loser Republicans like Crist and Specter. :raise:

willa you repeatedly repost the latest redstate attack on obamacare as your new liberal argument against obamacare, often without even changing the wording, and then when your laughable political analysis gets questioned retreat into 'im an activist i don't have to deal with "reality" stop introducing your completely irrelevant insistence on dealing with reality'

im not even going to bother to respond to your whining that it is unfair that i responded to your (unfounded) insults without specific examples that came out of the blue by my (well-founded, to anyone who has read your posting on healthcare in the past half decade) insults that do not bother to cite specific examples; , i will merely tell you that when in glass houses, don't throw stones at rock-solid castles~

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

So: more spittle-spiced word salad, just as I figured.

Tell me more about my using GOP framing, Mr. "Entitlements-Isn't-GOP-Framing Because the NYT Used it Once in a Story 45 Years Ago." Your rock-solid castle is actually sand.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Willa Rogers posted:

So: more spittle-spiced word salad, just as I figured.

Tell me more about my using GOP framing, Mr. "Entitlements-Isn't-GOP-Framing Because the NYT Used it Once in a Story 45 Years Ago." Your rock-solid castle is actually sand.

willa, when you start a conversation with nonsense insults, on this very page, and continue them, in this very post, it is sort of pointless to whine that I am not replying to your contentless insults with specific citations

if you do not wish to be mocked you for your long history of dumb posting, then perhaps you should not start a fight you will lose. if you wish my mocking you to be sourced, then you first

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Willa Rogers posted:

I agree with this but I also think that given the choice between Grayson and Murphy, Murphy is the better choice

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Feather posted:

well duh, but nobody is looking at post office names

but the bigger issue is that where someone is being elected from matters

like, for florida, yeah the loving state party should get in order and stop being such an unmitigated disaster at everything, including candidate development

but it has been, and that means when you're picking candidates you don't have the slate you want and no amount of "well, they should loving fix that" will get you a better slate in time

you also can't really blame presidentialism for florida - florida has been a key presidential state since Bush v. Gore and nobody's ignoring it like they do red states, the issue with the 50 state strategy vs. more targeted strategies is competing in the written-off states. everyone knows Florida is important to compete in but for reasons that are beyond me the party there is still just garbage. Money doesn't fix that, there's clearly dysfunctional leadership in the local party itself and that's going to take work to fix, and can't be fixed overnight. a good farm system takes time to develop.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
I'm sick of the DINO/True Progressives Will Win stuff. Based on the present popular definition of True Progressives in most corners of Internet circle jerks (Sanders+BLM activism=perfect progressive) and the seats that need to be won, all suburban btw, it's a strategy with no proof supporting it. Good luck winning the suburbs with an "ITS TIME FOR SUBSTANTIAL TAX INCREASES" platform.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

^^^ What about "Wouldn't you rather pay a static tax rate and get Medicare instead of private insurance that increases by double digits each year?"

The problem with DINO Dems isn't that they know how to use GOP frames about tax increases; it's that they no longer sell what are winning and popular social programs.

evilweasel posted:

willa, when you start a conversation with nonsense insults, on this very page, and continue them, in this very post, it is sort of pointless to whine that I am not replying to your contentless insults with specific citations

if you do not wish to be mocked you for your long history of dumb posting, then perhaps you should not start a fight you will lose. if you wish my mocking you to be sourced, then you first

I'm not whining, I'm laughing at you. I've only pointed out your intellectual dishonesty and hypocrisy, and your laughable record of shitposting lies and calling them truth. If you want to point out a specific "GOP talking point" I've made, then man up and do so, rather than continuing your spittle-flecked word salads. The only one doing any mocking around here is me, hoss.

Bob Ojeda posted:

I agree with this but I also think that given the choice between Grayson and Murphy, Murphy is the better choice

Based on what: Issues, perceived electability, both, or something else?

Willa Rogers has issued a correction as of 22:18 on Aug 12, 2015

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

^^^ What about "Wouldn't you rather pay a static tax rate and get Medicare instead of private insurance that increases by double digits each year?"

I don't know, who's setting provider prices in this presumed system so that such a tax can remain static? That part of the equation is still going to fail in that scenario. Open-ended Medicare funded by p/r taxes needs new funding as it is.

But I'm sure I'm thinking too much like a Republican by asking stuff about cost. We just need to "lead" the people to accept ideas and not worry about the "how" as much as the "why" and "when."

De Nomolos has issued a correction as of 22:26 on Aug 12, 2015

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Willa Rogers posted:

Its funny, I feel that Specter would have been far better off going independent than going Democrat. I bet he could have won 2010, sucking up Democrats who knew that their nominee, whoever he was, didn't have a shot AND moderates who didn't like Toomey. They let Specter keep his seniority when he switched, I suspect that they'd have done it if he went to I-caucusing with D, too.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

evilweasel posted:

Willa Rogers posted:

I'm not whining, I'm laughing at you. I've only pointed out your intellectual dishonesty and hypocrisy, and your laughable record of shitposting lies and calling them truth. If you want to point out a specific "GOP talking point" I've made, then man up and do so, rather than continuing your spittle-flecked word salads. The only one doing any mocking around here is me, hoss.

This slapfight is irrelevant to the topic and, worse, isn't funny.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This slapfight is irrelevant to the topic and, worse, isn't funny.

You're right; I gave into the temptation of finally being able to talk to EW the way he talked to me when he was a mod without my being allowed to respond in kind. I'll drop it now, bc I know the pissing contest is boring as hell. :-)

De Nomolos posted:

I don't know, who's setting provider prices in this presumed system so that such a tax can remain static? That part of the equation is still going to fail in that scenario. Open-ended Medicare funded by p/r taxes needs new funding as it is.

But I'm sure I'm thinking too much like a Republican by asking stuff about cost. We just need to "lead" the people to accept ideas and not worry about the "how" as much as the "why" and "when."

Medicare sets rates across the board; why would that change should we open the program to all? As it is under ACA's privatization scheme, the government is at the mercy of each individual insurer's having to negotiate provider rates--every year.

Medicare Part D needs to have negotiated rates, though (whether under expanded Medicare or existing), but we need a party ready to stand up to PhRMA rather than making secret deals with them to make that happen.

Cliff Racer posted:

Its funny, I feel that Specter would have been far better off going independent than going Democrat. I bet he could have won 2010, sucking up Democrats who knew that their nominee, whoever he was, didn't have a shot AND moderates who didn't like Toomey. They let Specter keep his seniority when he switched, I suspect that they'd have done it if he went to I-caucusing with D, too.

Huh, interesting theory about if he'd gone indy; I never thought of that. Still, it's hard to buck the 2-party system and successfully run as an indy, especially for a Senate race into which the big-money donors pour a lot of money.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Sounds like we'll have that Progressive Revolution once we have a Triumph of the Will.

De Nomolos has issued a correction as of 01:06 on Aug 13, 2015

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

De Nomolos posted:

Sounds like we'll have that Progressive Revolution once we have a Triumph of the Will.

Feel the Bern. :cool:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

De Nomolos posted:

Say what you will about Stalin but dude knew how to get poo poo done.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
So I got to hear the one of the guys going up again Grassely tonight. They D's going up against him are the following:

Tom Fiegen (D)
~ Attorney, College Professor, Ex-State Senator
Rob Hogg (D)
~ State Senator, Attorney, Ex-State Representative
Bob Krause (D)
~ Ex-State Representative, Ex-Waterloo School Board Member, Army Veteran

It was Hogg who spoke and I was impressed. He could very well be a strong candidate.

I don't know if we have a Representative thread, but god willing Kim Weaver will unseat Steve King from District 4. She gave a decent announcement speech here.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Mr Hootington posted:

So I got to hear the one of the guys going up again Grassely tonight. They D's going up against him are the following:

Tom Fiegen (D)
~ Attorney, College Professor, Ex-State Senator
Rob Hogg (D)
~ State Senator, Attorney, Ex-State Representative
Bob Krause (D)
~ Ex-State Representative, Ex-Waterloo School Board Member, Army Veteran

It was Hogg who spoke and I was impressed. He could very well be a strong candidate.

I don't know if we have a Representative thread, but god willing Kim Weaver will unseat Steve King from District 4. She gave a decent announcement speech here.

rob hogg is the only good candidate. tom fiegen is hilariously sexist. both he and krause ran against roxanne conlin in 2010 primary, and i very much remember fiegen implying in a debate that she was cheating on her husband and sleeping with a lobbyist. then when he gave a speech saying that joni ernst only won because senate elections are now "beauty contests." supposedly he wasn't nearly as bad as a state senator, but became bitter against women after his wife left him.

and frankly, i feel that iowa has always desperately needed a Senator Hogg

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Concerned Citizen posted:

and frankly, i feel that iowa has always desperately needed a Senator Hogg

Just as long as they can keep Ernst away from him.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

:chanpop:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

There it is.

We also heard from some people running in the third and first. The guy in the third if I remember right sounded strong too. Now if only Iowa can turn blue this year.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Grassley has a history of winning comfortably, you'd need a real wave to even make it close.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Cliff Racer posted:

Grassley has a history of winning comfortably, you'd need a real wave to even make it close.

Yes I know, but I can hope that the hatred of current politicians and the populist wave can be used against the incumbents.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Populist wave? The economy feels like its doing a lot better than it was even a year ago, so I doubt that populism will have much of an upsurge. Thats a good thing for Democrats too, a defense of the status quo is in essence a defense of the Obama administration and will help Democrats get elected. I'm pretty sure that Grassley, in particular, is not at all hated either. I bet he has over 50 percent approval (bear in mind that people in the forties regularly win re-election.)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Cliff Racer posted:

Populist wave? The economy feels like its doing a lot better than it was even a year ago, so I doubt that populism will have much of an upsurge. Thats a good thing for Democrats too, a defense of the status quo is in essence a defense of the Obama administration and will help Democrats get elected. I'm pretty sure that Grassley, in particular, is not at all hated either. I bet he has over 50 percent approval (bear in mind that people in the forties regularly win re-election.)

http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/main/chuck-grassley/

52% as of 5 days ago. Polling as one of the most popular in the country according to ppp.

And yeah a populist wave. I think (and from what I've seen at least in my state) that there is a populist wave that both trump and Bernie have tapped into that is angry at the government in general. The current sitting politicians get a lot of it aimed at them. If they could somehow get the messaging across that it is congress and senate holding stuff up and that who has control is to blame it might flip enough.

I know it is a tough task. You have to fight against a lot of ignorance.

Edit: Chuck Grassley will more than likely win. He is Iowa's grandpa and nearly everyone loves him on a personal level.

Stuff is just frustrating for me since I live in a democratically held county that was gerrymandered into district 4 in Iowa. I have the national embarrassment Steve king as my rep.

Mr Hootington has issued a correction as of 22:55 on Aug 15, 2015

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!

Paper With Lines posted:

I get that people use that line, but it seems especially funny and weird to use it against Feingold who unilaterally applies his campaign finance law to himself. He did it the last four times (or at least the first two). I assume he is doing it again?

Turns out he is not doing this and Ron 'I loan myself eight million dollars' Johnson is hitting him for it.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/08/14/1412133/-Russ-Feingold-decides-to-run-a-modern-campaign-Ron-Johnson-cranks-up-his-whine-o-matic

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

^ :lol:

Also, I suppose we can now firmly put to rest any hopes that Rendell could be convinced to enter the race.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

^ :lol:

Also, I suppose we can now firmly put to rest any hopes that Rendell could be convinced to enter the race.

I hope this is more than just a figurehead position. I still think this will follow the statewide trend as long as it's Generic D or better and not Stomps On Kids.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
The state-wide trend of getting indicted before the next election maybe.

Seriously, corruption/general law breaking-wise this place has turned out worse than New Jersey in the past couple years.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Roll Call is speculating that Rep. Elijah Cummings might jump into the Democratic senate primary in Maryland. Dunno what his chances are: he seems to be pretty beloved, but I thought Van Hollen had all the money behind him.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
A guy named Richard Douglas has entered the race for the Republican nomination in Maryland.

quote:

Douglas served as a Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense under President George W. Bush and spent five years on Capitol Hill as a senior attorney to the Senate Foreign Relations Committee and the Senate Intelligence Committee. During the 1970s, he was a machinist's mate on a Navy attack submarine and, in 2006, was recalled from reserve duty to serve in Iraq.

He lost his race for the GOP Senate nomination to Dan Bongino in 2012 by just under 9,000 votes.

Only one other Republican, Chrys Kefalas, is actively considering the race to replace Mikulski. Kefalas, a vice president of communications as the National Association of Manufacturers, worked previously as an aide to former Attorney General Eric H. Holder, Jr., and former Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr.

Obviously should be a non-starter since barring a once-in-a-century catastrophe the real race will be the Democratic primary.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
North Dakota Gov. Jack Dalrymple (R) says he won't be running for re-election. Roll Call speculates that Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (D) might go for the open seat. I imagine, were that the case, that seat would flip red in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Franco Potente posted:

North Dakota Gov. Jack Dalrymple (R) says he won't be running for re-election. Roll Call speculates that Sen. Heidi Heitkamp (D) might go for the open seat. I imagine, were that the case, that seat would flip red in a heartbeat.

Is Heitkamp more like Bernie in the sense that she's a progressive (plains progressive is a term, which is why ND has a state-owned bank) but is averse to gun responsibility legislation? Or is she more like Joe Manchin where she caucuses with the party but toes the line with regard to energy interests that are heaping money into her state economy? I haven't kept up on her career but I do recall her having some kind of disagreement regarding guns after Sandy Hook or Aurora or one of the other mass shootings.

• Locked thread