Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

What's the worst thing you can say in Broodhollow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

What's the worst thing you can say in Broodhollow?

That's like saying "I have two days left til retirement."

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Aww he got a little birdhouse for Mercy :3:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
That's right Zane, you keep things scientific and practical there and soon I have no doubt you'll figure out those picnic ghosts with your coin flipping. :)

...and I do appreciate he didn't say anything about science figuring out weather patterns our I would have to have gotten all :goonsay: about whether or not reliable weather forecasts were a thing during that time period.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

DarklyDreaming posted:

Aww he got a little birdhouse for Mercy :3:

Above his bed. That's a very bad idea, the only thing that should be below a bat's sleeping place is a litter box.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Update

Look who's back :allears:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Why, dressing up river-mud dolls doesn't in any way seem unsettling in any way whatsoever! I'm certain nothing untoward will happen.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
"People these days forget where they came from!"

Boy, nothing ominous at all about that sentence.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Update.

That's right Zane, you tell him.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Maybe I'm just imagining things, but it seems kinda like he's transitioned away for giving Zane crap for being from out of town and into his usual behavior towards everyone of just giving Zane crap for bring young and/or existing. A subtle change, but one that maybe implies that people stopped thinking of him as a newcomer? Or maybe they totally forgot that he's a newcomer. :tinfoil:

He's a Zane, and Broodhollow always has a Zane. What reason is there to think that he's an outsider?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Update

That's one dark library.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

ThaumPenguin posted:

Update

That's one dark library.

It always comes back to Card Games.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Update

Yeah, I don't have anything to say about this one.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

ThaumPenguin posted:

Update

Yeah, I don't have anything to say about this one.

Somehow, Zane being so cheerful about being completely pathetic and hopeless is makes him more endearing than he was before.

It's like Charlie Brown stumbled into Innsmouth.

...which is how I'm going to pitch the comic to my friends now.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Capfalcon posted:

It's like Charlie Brown stumbled into Innsmouth.

...which is how I'm going to pitch the comic to my friends now.
Totally stealing that, too.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

raise mr skeltal

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

New stuff

What I noticed the most was how around Nov13-Dec16, whoever was stamping books was reusing the same stamp for both red and black inks, or the red and black ink pads were getting some major cross-contamination. Around April 30th they finally bought a new red pad.

Having done a lot of stamping in libraries, of course this is what I notice, instead of anything actually interesting.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Huh, Virgil was the only one to return it on time.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Oh man I missed a lot of these updates.

That last panel had a really nice punch to it, it's something I've been missing in book 3 so far.

But I suppose that can be excused, we're pretty early into the current storyline after all.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Carrasco posted:

Huh, Virgil was the only one to return it on time.
Nah, it looks like Km Chimichanga retruned it on time too. Dec 18 due, and "C 18" return.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Zereth posted:

Nah, it looks like Km Chimichanga retruned it on time too. Dec 18 due, and "C 18" return.

Actually it looks like it was due "Dec 16" for two different people. Who both returned it Dec 18.

Which is weird, but there was probably a year between the two, since the stamps this library was using lack years.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Zereth posted:

Grilox posted:

Actually it looks like it was due "Dec 16" for two different people. Who both returned it Dec 18.

Which is weird, but there was probably a year between the two, since the stamps this library was using lack years.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Update

Looks like an unrelated side story. But...old timey camera in a haunted town? I see great potential for spookiness ahead.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

This is the bonus story from the first Broodhollow book.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Maybe worth posting for people like me who never scroll down:

quote:

Broodhollowans,

I’m not the kind of cartoonist who believes an audience should accept late or missing updates because webcomics are free to read. I may not technically owe anybody x number of strips per week. But what I think I do owe you is professionalism — and I always associated consistency with that quality.

I think the demands of the past year are finally catching up with me. I’m blocked creatively. It hasn’t done me a lot of good to try and think my way out of it. I’ve had little bouts of writer’s block in the past, for sure — it happens to everyone, and you work through it until you’re on the other side. But combined with parenthood, other unnamed life events, and getting the final stages of the Book 2 Kickstarter ready to ship (books arriving in August!), this is the longest-lasting block I’ve ever experienced.

I want to do A Game of Oubliette correctly because it’s a really important story for the Broodhollow universe, and I’m nervous that continuing to grind it out like this is going to affect the book’s quality — but! A total hiatus is not the solution.

What I’d like to do is pause Book 3 for a while and explore other stories in and around Broodhollow. It would do me good to get some perspective on the Town of A Thousand Holidays, and as anxious as you are to find out where Zane and company are headed this time, I also think you’d appreciate seeing more of this haunted world.

What do you think?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Zoe posted:

Maybe worth posting for people like me who never scroll down:

quote:

Broodhollowans,

I’m not the kind of cartoonist who believes an audience should accept late or missing updates because webcomics are free to read. I may not technically owe anybody x number of strips per week. But what I think I do owe you is professionalism — and I always associated consistency with that quality.

I think the demands of the past year are finally catching up with me. I’m blocked creatively. It hasn’t done me a lot of good to try and think my way out of it. I’ve had little bouts of writer’s block in the past, for sure — it happens to everyone, and you work through it until you’re on the other side. But combined with parenthood, other unnamed life events, and getting the final stages of the Book 2 Kickstarter ready to ship (books arriving in August!), this is the longest-lasting block I’ve ever experienced.

I want to do A Game of Oubliette correctly because it’s a really important story for the Broodhollow universe, and I’m nervous that continuing to grind it out like this is going to affect the book’s quality — but! A total hiatus is not the solution.

What I’d like to do is pause Book 3 for a while and explore other stories in and around Broodhollow. It would do me good to get some perspective on the Town of A Thousand Holidays, and as anxious as you are to find out where Zane and company are headed this time, I also think you’d appreciate seeing more of this haunted world.

What do you think?

This sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

I wonder where these side stories are going to fit into the timeframe, I guess between book two and three?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Does the Ichor Falls site not exist anymore? Five seconds of googling just turned up a paperback version on Amazon.

I recall a story about an old camera. Curious now if the photographer was a chemist from the 1870s...

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

This camera story was a bonus in the first book, and I remember someone saying it was partly based on an Ichor Falls story.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Next page is up.

I just love the art in that fourth panel, think I'd happily turn that into a wallpaper if it were only big enough. And does that sort of grainy effect he's got going on with everything have a specific name?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Takes a picture of Iris, next panel Iris is no more there. Takes a picture of the sun, next panel it's night time. :tinfoil:

Reminds me of an Iznogoud story where the photo camera would make whatever was photographed disappear from the real world.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Really everybody in the main comic should be carrying a camera at all times. That's one way to help with the forgetting problem.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

ThaumPenguin posted:

I wonder where these side stories are going to fit into the timeframe, I guess between book two and three?

This first sidestory was originally published in the print version of Book One, so it's between One and Two at the latest.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Zoe posted:

Really everybody in the main comic should be carrying a camera at all times. That's one way to help with the forgetting problem.

They had that idea a couple times, but they keep forgetting where they put the pictures.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Zoe posted:

Considering one of them took handwritten notes about everything that's been happening and STILL ended up forgetting.... I am not sure that pictures would be all that helpful.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

khy posted:

Considering one of them took handwritten notes about everything that's been happening and STILL ended up forgetting.... I am not sure that pictures would be all that helpful.

The Broodhollow renaissance comes with the advent of Google Glass. The only place it's adopted.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In Stephen King's hit book about children having sex in sewers, IT, even the notes people took down of the supernatural eventually faded from the page.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Zoe posted:

Does the Ichor Falls site not exist anymore? Five seconds of googling just turned up a paperback version on Amazon.

The site itself is now just a post of Candle Cove, but Kris put a PDF of the book up on Gumroad for pay what you want.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Update

This isn't right.

e: Man do I love the filters Kris use. They really add to the mood.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Aug 15, 2015

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Well then. :stare:

You can see the horrible tower thing in the first photo, the hole/pit/thing from the end of the second book, and it looks like even Cadavre made an appearance for old time's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

neogeo0823 posted:

Well then. :stare:

You can see the horrible tower thing in the first photo, the hole/pit/thing from the end of the second book, and it looks like even Cadavre made an appearance for old time's sake.

There was just something about old timey photos that used to creep me out as a kid, and wow, suddenly that old feeling's back again....thanks Kris! :stare:

• Locked thread