Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
We recorded a bunch of episodes last night, and had to stop because I ran out of beer. Holy gently caress President Johnson was a slaughter of drinking words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Danaru. Buddy.

While your suffering is it's own form of comedy, killing yourself for internet strangers is also no good.

So before you Start up MG3 or MGS4 or further games, see if you can find an online script, and then do a quick search for how many times a potential drinking word shows up.

If it is more than say, *filters for the fact internet "script" has editors notes saying "They are talking about-" constantly* more than...

You are going to die.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Section Z posted:

Danaru. Buddy.

While your suffering is it's own form of comedy, killing yourself for internet strangers is also no good.

So before you Start up MG3 or MGS4 or further games, see if you can find an online script, and then do a quick search for how many times a potential drinking word shows up.

If it is more than say, *filters for the fact internet "script" has editors notes saying "They are talking about-" constantly* more than...

You are going to die.

bbbut that takes the fun out of it.
Also I hope that means you ran out of the epsiode's chosen beer.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Rigged Death Trap posted:

bbbut that takes the fun out of it.
Also I hope that means you ran out of the epsiode's chosen beer.

An entire 760 ml bottle for one episode, yep

Section Z posted:

You are going to die.

This isn't even my final form :unsmigghh:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

You're blitzing through the game if you are already passed that part.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

The actual reason he did it was because everyone bitched endlessly about MGS2 back in the day. The chief complaints were:
Raiden
Ocelot's ghost hand
Raiden
The story being too good for dumb babies
Raiden

So Kojima tried to pander to all these haters, which resulted in MGS4. Because hypnotism and making Raiden a cyborg ninja fixed everything, right? It's not like the third game establishes Ocelot had latent psychic/spirit medium powers that could explain how he was possessed, nope. Only nanomachines can explain the ghost arm.

Although, according to a few sources here and there, he was actually possessed during MGS2. Then Ocelot said "gently caress that" and that is why he isn't actually using Liquid's arm in 4. Pretty sure that's only stated in that Metal Gear Database thing but take what you can get.

As for an in-universe reason, he wanted to fool The Patriots. That's it.

Ocelot was possessed in this one then thought "that gives me a brilliant idea for a trick!" and tricked everyone into thinking it was still happening.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Danaru posted:

An entire 760 ml bottle for one episode, yep

Well thats better than running out of all the beer you have.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Wait, I just had a weird thought. Is Ocelot still calling Solidus "Mr. President" even though he stepped down after Shadow Moses? Because if so, that's a little weird I guess, but otherwise if not, then is he talking to Johnson as he escapes the Tanker?

Iron Chitlin
Sep 3, 2011

I need to use the bathroom!

Choco1980 posted:

Wait, I just had a weird thought. Is Ocelot still calling Solidus "Mr. President" even though he stepped down after Shadow Moses? Because if so, that's a little weird I guess, but otherwise if not, then is he talking to Johnson as he escapes the Tanker?

Former Presidents are usually addressed as "Mr. President" long after they leave office, it's not unusual at all that Solidus would retain that title. Ocelot despite being Russian, did work for a branch of the U.S. Military, and also is working under Solidus so it's not hard to see where that respectful formality comes from.

A thought occurred to me while watching the Plant chapter intro. This setup is very similar to the 90s action movie "The Rock." Both feature a terrorist takeover of an offshore facility during a tour, and the group attending the tour become hostages. The counter terrorist squads in both the movie and the game are both massacred in a single room, leaving only two survivors who can save the day: An older, battle hardened, ex-commando and a younger man with experience in training scenarios but has never seen live combat. There are a couple other similarities as well, bomb defusal(missile dismantling in the film), the stakes being raised with a pregnant girlfriend, and probably a few others I can't think of due to not seeing the movie or having played the game in years. What I'm saying is that Nicholas Cage and Sean Connery should have played Raiden and Snake.

Edit: If you haven't seen it, go watch The Rock. It's basically a how-to guide for making an entertaining action movie.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
The Rock was a pretty solid movie that's for sure. And it's not hard to believe that Kojima is heavily influenced by other people's ideals... Especially movies. He is totally the "I WANNA DO THAT" type.

Unknown Quantity
Sep 2, 2011

!
Steven? Steven?!
STEEEEEEVEEEEEEEN!

Zain posted:

The Rock was a pretty solid movie that's for sure. And it's not hard to believe that Kojima is heavily influenced by other people's ideals... Especially movies. He is totally the "I WANNA DO THAT" type.

Hell, he hired Harry Gregson-Williams to work on the soundtrack after he and the sound director went to see The Replacement Killers in theaters. They originally wanted to watch Saving Private Ryan but the line was too long.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The Rock is loving fantastic and is generally the go to movie I use when I have to explain that Nic Cage can actually act.

By the way, I did a commentaryless Dunk% Speedrun of Ground Zeroes using the rules set up by Tie Tuesday. Surprise I was actually kinda good at video games this whole time :v:

"Kills by car running over dunked men are allowed, otherwise 1-shot CQC cutscene/sprinting melee knockouts only.

No thrown items or weapons of any kind except victory rocket.

Must receive either A-Rank (for America) or S-Rank (SlamJam)

Must fire victory rockets out of helicopter at end of run."

Also if you're not already following Tie Tuesday, you should.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Danaru posted:

The Rock is loving fantastic and is generally the go to movie I use when I have to explain that Nic Cage can actually act.

Have you seen Leaving Las Vegas? Dude won an Oscar and completely deserved it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Skwirl posted:

Have you seen Leaving Las Vegas? Dude won an Oscar and completely deserved it.

Nope, but I'll be checking that out :v:

:siren:Let's Play Metal Gear Solid 2 Episode 4 - Everyone's A Patriot:siren:

SPOILERS I TOO WAS GW

Kal-L
Jan 18, 2005

Heh... Spider-man... Web searches... That's funny. I should've trademarked that one. Could've made a mint.

Danaru posted:

Ghost Rider. Both of them.

The thing with Nicholas Cage is that he ascribes to the "be flamboyant as gently caress with acting" instead of all that pussy rear end subtlety other actors do.

Also, he was great in 8mm and Face/Off.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

There's a theory on the internet that Kojima never intended the events of MGS2 to be real. They were supposed to have happened in VR, with Raiden being a Guinea pig for the S3. Unfortunately people took umbrage with MGS2 so Kojima had to say "nope it was actually all real" and MGS4 became what it is.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
So... How much does each video you've recorded have actual gameplay in it? This is what, the second one in a row that's more cutscene than gameplay?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Cador_2004 posted:

So... How much does each video you've recorded have actual gameplay in it? This is what, the second one in a row that's more cutscene than gameplay?

I think next episode is full of Stillman talking about bombs and poo poo, then we finally start actually playing the drat game

Hrvstmn31
Aug 2, 2014

You did what in your cup?
I was going to say check out Original S.W.A.T. boots but they're a bit more expensive in Canada.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Cador_2004 posted:

Just wait until we get to MGS4

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

There's a theory on the internet that Kojima never intended the events of MGS2 to be real. They were supposed to have happened in VR, with Raiden being a Guinea pig for the S3. Unfortunately people took umbrage with MGS2 so Kojima had to say "nope it was actually all real" and MGS4 became what it is.

http://metagearsolid.org/reports_vr_theory_1.html

There are many theories and ideas about MGS2, which is why it's my favorite. The game was made to screw with peoples' heads and it did its job perfectly.

Also Rose does start to get a bit...aggressive later on in the story or if you do things like shoot helpless birds or hostages.

But she's also very cute. As you saw, she didn't really bite your head off like Mei Ling did. If anything, Rose seemed a bit amused by Raiden being in the ladies' room.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

My favourite part about this is that there's an entire page just for Rose, and even they can't figure out what the gently caress :allears:

By the way, apparently Cyphers are real things, despite never actually getting past the prototype stage. I honestly had no idea.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A surprising amount of the crazy robot poo poo in the earlier metal gear games actually existed at one point, probably most famously those dumbass flying hovercraft thingamajigs in MGS3. I didn't know that the cyphers really existed but frankly I'm not surprised.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, and with modern drone technology Cipher-like floating cameras are an even bigger possibility, though who knows if anybody would actually bother to use them as security cameras or tiny flying gun turrets.

I liked how they were introduced in Peace Walker: there, they're called Kidnappers because they're all equipped with a claw that can grapple onto you and snatch you away.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

We already use floating cameras to take videos of marriage vows. I'm pretty sure the military already has a batch of spy camera drones.

Has Kojima ever tried to make a statement about drone use in wars? I know the Gekko sort of went in that direction, but that was more about asymmetric warfare and less about drones.
Cause drone use really has almost no rules and makes the US look really bad.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

SSNeoman posted:

We already use floating cameras to take videos of marriage vows. I'm pretty sure the military already has a batch of spy camera drones.

Has Kojima ever tried to make a statement about drone use in wars? I know the Gekko sort of went in that direction, but that was more about asymmetric warfare and less about drones.
Cause drone use really has almost no rules and makes the US look really bad.

Nah they mean that specific model of drone, the camera on tripod above a single rotor.
Also Drone/Remote Warfare wasn't as much of a global concern at the time.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

:siren:Let's Play Metal Gear Solid 2 Episode 5 - Facta Non Verba:siren:

Stillman talks for a billion years, I find out stouts are pretty good, and the dogtag collection gets off to a rocky start. This game becomes a lot funnier when you assume any time GW or Raiden bring up VR, that they're talking about my performance in VR missions.

also for anyone who cares Fatman is placing C4, the semtex is on the Shell 1 - Shell 2 bridge whomp whomp

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Think you could put the MGS2 links in the OP? Thread navigation is getting harder.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

anilEhilated posted:

Think you could put the MGS2 links in the OP? Thread navigation is getting harder.

Yeah, I'll be revamping the OP over the next couple days. The codec thing looked cool but just becomes kind of a clusterfuck once other games come into the mix. I already have some banners made, but they look kind of lovely and I want to remake them whenever I manage to get more than twenty minutes alone with paint.net :froggonk: I'll probably revamp the beer post too, I've never been completely happy with it.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
"Oh those guys up there don't have dogtags so it's fine." *later goes in and grabs their dogtags* The binocular dude was the one on the balcony, tricksy guy who was looking during the alert was one of the guys hanging out around the harrier.

Also, they made an X-Files joke. In Season 1, Mulder has an informant for the big shadowy forces calling himself Deep Throat. He's killed off, as the actor died, and then Mulder gets another informant who calls himself Mr. X.

Also also, you showed a few of the bombs off early--they're totally active then and can be detonated with bullets to game over if you're dumb.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Choco1980 posted:

Also also, you showed a few of the bombs off early--they're totally active then and can be detonated with bullets to game over if you're dumb.

I'm no bomb disposal expert but I'm pretty sure C4 doesn't work like that.

EDIT: Yup.

C-4 Wikipedia article posted:

C-4 cannot be detonated by a gunshot or by dropping it onto a hard surface. It does not explode when set on fire or exposed to microwave radiation.[8] Detonation can only be initiated by a combination of extreme heat and a shockwave, such as when a detonator inserted into it is fired.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SSNeoman posted:

I'm no bomb disposal expert but I'm pretty sure C4 doesn't work like that.

EDIT: Yup.

The worst part is, I forget where exactly, but I think its Otacon that mentions on the tanker that the semtex they have everywhere is linked to some kind of shock sensor, and that's why they detonate when shot

So Kojima knew that was bullshit and hid a handwave somewhere

Choco1980 posted:

In the original, on the higher difficulties, you could set off the big-rear end bomb below Strut A by running near it and triggering the microwave sensor, even if you JUST started the plant :v: They changed the giant bomb location in Substance though, so I couldn't manage to set it off in this version (when I was playing on my own).

Danaru fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 17, 2015

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
It really bothers me how Raiden constantly clicks his pistol when he aims it at someone. What is he doing, flicking the safety on and off? Cocking and decocking the hammer? Either shoot someone or don't, drat it! Don't make the pistol noise equivalent of "I really really mean it!"

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

IronSaber posted:

It really bothers me how Raiden constantly clicks his pistol when he aims it at someone. What is he doing, flicking the safety on and off? Cocking and decocking the hammer? Either shoot someone or don't, drat it! Don't make the pistol noise equivalent of "I really really mean it!"

It's annoying but people have been taking that artistic license for years.

Swords make "sharpness" noises in the air for the same reason.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Speedball posted:

It's annoying but people have been taking that artistic license for years.

Swords make "sharpness" noises in the air for the same reason.

It also makes a "shing" noise when you just rotate it between flat and sharp sides :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what you're complaining about in the video, Fatman is easily the best villain in MGS2.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Danaru posted:

It also makes a "shing" noise when you just rotate it between flat and sharp sides :v:

You mean that the blade isn't sharp enough to cut light? I find this HIGHLY improbable.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
"One of the bombs was in a narrow air vent. I had to crawl to get to it."

... How did Fatman manage to set that bomb? :raise:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mikl posted:

"One of the bombs was in a narrow air vent. I had to crawl to get to it."

... How did Fatman manage to set that bomb? :raise:

He's not actually fat: that bomb suit is just really bulky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
I always assumed he just skated up and rolled the C4 in there like a bowling ball.