Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ugh, I can't find the last (few?) gear-doors. I need this quest out of my journal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Lotish posted:

I suspect this revelation in Descent is going to be expanded upon greatly in Dragon Age 4, much like DA2's dlc ended up being so important to Inquistion.

The description says that new weapons and armor are available in this expansion. Anyone find something rad?
So far I've found a T4 dagger, maul, longsword, and medium armor. The dagger does over 500 damage with a superb rune equipped :stare:

Also Nug King!

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Without spoilers is the DLC good? How is it in terms of story/party interaction/length/exploration/level design/new enemies and bosses?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Beefstew posted:

Without spoilers is the DLC good? How is it in terms of story/party interaction/length/exploration/level design/new enemies and bosses?

I'm not done yet, but so far... meh story, almost no party interaction except for offhand comments here and there, seems shorter than Hakkon, good exploration, really cool level design, cool and challenging enemies.

It's more or less a straight dungeon crawl, but I'm enjoying it :shrug:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Man, the difficulty curve is way up there though. Enemies have, no joke, maybe three or four times the health they have in other sections of the game. Also: DA2-style encounters with waves of enemies popping out of thin air in front, behind, and on the sides of your party, along with tons of stealth mobs who'll appear right next to you with no warning.

Well, gotta compensate for all your leet loot, I suppose.

Svanja
Sep 19, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Man, the difficulty curve is way up there though. Enemies have, no joke, maybe three or four times the health they have in other sections of the game. Also: DA2-style encounters with waves of enemies popping out of thin air in front, behind, and on the sides of your party, along with tons of stealth mobs who'll appear right next to you with no warning.

Well, gotta compensate for all your leet loot, I suppose.

Agreed, the combat isn't a joke. And I realized that in the first encounter!

The music during one of the first massive battles though, wow, I loved it! I still have to go to the deeper levels and I am legit worried if I can handle it. I am so glad I geared up with some guard generating gear on all my party!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Yeah, guard on hit is really helpful as is carrying extra healing stuff, like regen potions and healing mists. It can be a long way in between camps and caches. Also a lot of the enemies are immune to stuff like confuse and panic so the usual arsenal isn't as effective.

Beat it in one sitting, the ending is kinda dumb but if you want hard combat and varied enemies this is your bag.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

SubponticatePoster posted:

Not really. They released Arrival just prior to ME3 so there was a bridge between the games, I can see them doing something like that here.

The Arrival was released eleven months prior to ME3. It's plausible, though kind of unlikely, that they might release DA:I DLC until ME4's release, but they almost certainly will not release DA:I DLC after ME4 to time it with the sequel to Inquisition. Plus, I'm pretty sure the next DLC pack is the final one based on the consumer survey that leaked a while back.

Geostomp posted:

So I guess this means that the last DLC is going to reveal the deep dark secret of the qunari's origins since they've hit everyone else's.

SurelyForth posted:

That's entirely possible, but I think the last DLC almost has to be about Solas and those that remain in the elven pantheon, unless that's going to be dealt with in DA4.

I think both these things are true based on the aforementioned consumer survey. It'll presumably be the last Inquisition DLC, and focus on the Qunari and Solas. For reference, this is the survey.

Lotish posted:

I suspect this revelation in Descent is going to be expanded upon greatly in Dragon Age 4, much like DA2's dlc ended up being so important to Inquistion.
I think that too, but this DLC was still kind of disappointing. I was actually shocked at how little was answered.

Nichael fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Aug 12, 2015

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Man these DLC are expensive. I might have been willing to pay maybe 10-15$ for all of them, but not for each of them separately.
Have Bioware like, ever, had any DLC bundles for reasonable prices?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

As far as I can tell, Bioware DLC almost never goes on sale over Origin. You can't even use discount codes towards it.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

new DLC supposedly to be revealed in about two weeks

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I just read the codex entry for Storvacker and it's incredible. Not at all the reference I expected to see.

quote:

She is the hold-beast of Stone-Bear Hold. All other bears in the area are mere imitations.

Storvacker. How do I even begin to explain Storvacker?

Storvacker is flawless.

She has two ancient elven trees for claw sharpening and a silver honey dish.

I hear that her claws are valued in Denerim at 10,000 sovereigns.

I hear that she sells her shed fur to Orlesian master weavers in Val Royeaux.

Her favorite story is Hard in Hightown.

One time, she met Alistair Therein [sic], fabled warrior of the Fifth Blight, and he told her she was pretty.

One time, she clawed me in the face. It was amazing.

—From Ruminations upon the Avvar and Their Customs by Reginald de Gorge

:haw:

e: The Descent is great so far. Always loved the Deep Roads. Found a brief mention of a pair of old friends down there. On a mug if you're looking. Bodahn and Sons Quality Wares and Enchantments.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 12, 2015

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

man I been playing the DLC and this one part where you're killing a nest and have to defeat these waves including specific enemies is tough because they keep spitting out the little hound guys at you. I ran out of potions by like the shield guys on the bridge and from that point was basically cheesing it from there, cloaking and fleeing when my dudes died to get cheap revives for them. managed to fit my way back through the ogres and to the boss guy but then he gets an insta-kill spell or something. I gotta get varric out of my party and get josephine in here or something. the little hound guys have so much dang health

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I don't think the Inquisition's accountant is going to help you much

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Yeah, I took Varric thinking he'd have a lot to say, but so far he's just made a few jokes and died a lot. Kinda wishing I'd taken another melee person instead, most of the battles have ended up with me spamming crowd control spells while Blackwall tries desperately to pick them off.

If anyone was wondering, Solas doesn't have much to say either, so no need to bring him if you're only doing it for story reasons. Still, this is the poorly thought out team I went in with, and it's the poorly thought out team I'm leaving with :colbert:

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
I'm having a good time with Varric, Solas, and Iron Bull. Solas just says the most generic poo poo, though. I wouldn't be surprised if it was mostly recycled dialogue. I've also had some pretty good schematics drop for bianca upgrades.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I found a few new Bianca schematics which is great but everything so far results in a straight damage drop from some uncommon arms that I picked up god knows where :(

I'd never seen Arms VII before but even with dragon bone it doesn't get better than what he's got. 215 DPS is good enough I guess. With +5 guard armour he holds up just fine.

Relatedly do staff schematics ever end up with 200+ damage? I can make a ton of staves but none are that impressive. Dorian's falling behind in damage though that's not really why I keep him around. Meanwhile I've got a pair of 450 DPS daggers and shred everything

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

eating only apples posted:

I found a few new Bianca schematics which is great but everything so far results in a straight damage drop from some uncommon arms that I picked up god knows where :(

I'd never seen Arms VII before but even with dragon bone it doesn't get better than what he's got. 215 DPS is good enough I guess. With +5 guard armour he holds up just fine.

Relatedly do staff schematics ever end up with 200+ damage? I can make a ton of staves but none are that impressive. Dorian's falling behind in damage though that's not really why I keep him around. Meanwhile I've got a pair of 450 DPS daggers and shred everything

I went down about 5 points in DPS but I was able to stack enough mats to get like 91% guard penetration

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Medium Cool posted:

I went down about 5 points in DPS but I was able to stack enough mats to get like 91% guard penetration

He's kind of doing similar already, although with a lower percentate of armor penetration. I kind of baby Varric because I love having him along but find he slips down really easily.

I used archer-specced Cole for all of Hakkon though and didn't regret it, kid is made of jelly but can bring the pain. And he had a lot to say along the way. :3:

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I think I've gotten some loot idk yet but I do know they give you a barrel full of 20x dragon materials right upon starting the thing

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Gotta say the exploration part of the DLC can kinda get insane. So many ledges that you can jump down and actually get to somewhere new with 1-2 loot chests. Also the combat can be quite challenging, even though I went in as a Knight Enchanter though endlessly spawning monster hordes until you reach an objective always feels cheap. Luckily it is very sparingly used. Also Tier 4 schematics for every catergory of weapons and armor though not all of them better than what you had before.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

epitasis posted:

man I been playing the DLC and this one part where you're killing a nest and have to defeat these waves including specific enemies is tough because they keep spitting out the little hound guys at you. I ran out of potions by like the shield guys on the bridge and from that point was basically cheesing it from there, cloaking and fleeing when my dudes died to get cheap revives for them. managed to fit my way back through the ogres and to the boss guy but then he gets an insta-kill spell or something. I gotta get varric out of my party and get josephine in here or something. the little hound guys have so much dang health

There's three different supply caches in that area if you scrounge hard enough. One is inside the room just before the ogres, and one is where the Hurlock Alphas were. I only ended up needing one but they're hard to spot and they can be real lifesavers. The last one requires some serious jumping to get to and wouldn't actually be that useful during the fight.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

oh yeah I'd used all three before the last ogre went down

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

exquisite tea posted:

As far as I can tell, Bioware DLC almost never goes on sale over Origin. You can't even use discount codes towards it.

I used an Origin discount code on the Jaws of Hakkon DLC so those definitely work but that's probably the only way to cut the price at all.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
did anyone not get XP from the DLC? I was level 27 going in and coming out

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I leveled up

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I used an Origin discount code on the Jaws of Hakkon DLC so those definitely work but that's probably the only way to cut the price at all.

Maybe the newer DLC that isn't locked behind Bioware points does work with the discount codes, then. For ME3 I was totally boned.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i can't believe bioware points are still a thing

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

eating only apples posted:

I think I have one at like 227 or so? I can check in a bit and edit to let you know.

e: I was horribly mistaken, it's a 167. Might have been a bow I was thinking of.

As far as parties go, I had good luck with Cass, Varric, and Dorian. Both amusing-banter wise and staying upright. Varric ate poo poo a couple times, but then hell, so did I. That room, you know that one loving room 2 ogres then the Emissary Alpha everyone but Cass went down and I ended up soloing most of it with her until I could thin the ranks a bit and get everyone back on their feet.

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Aug 12, 2015

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

My game crashed at what appears to have been the last campsite :negative: These Sha-Bryntal are not loving around

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

CuwiKhons posted:

My game crashed at what appears to have been the last campsite :negative: These Sha-Bryntal are not loving around

Are you playing on PS4? Because mine crashed there as well. Probably for the better, because the very last enemy seemed to be trapped in the wall or something, and I couldn't progress until all of them were dead.

I reloaded, tried a new position, and promptly got slaughtered :negative:. I plan on getting back on the horse tonight, really hope it doesn't happen again.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

that wave fight with the darkspawn is the real drat deal

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

Are you playing on PS4? Because mine crashed there as well. Probably for the better, because the very last enemy seemed to be trapped in the wall or something, and I couldn't progress until all of them were dead.

I reloaded, tried a new position, and promptly got slaughtered :negative:. I plan on getting back on the horse tonight, really hope it doesn't happen again.

Yep. I beat the encounter once I reloaded but I also had a dude behind a wall. Fortunately I could get around the wall to shoot him.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I haven't played DA:I in many months. Last night I decided to buy the two DLC that add to the single player. Created a new character and am starting over again from scratch.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I beat it last night. Fun, nothing amazing though. I liked how much I could sell all the gear for though. I made at least 600k easy after it was all over. ENDING SPOILERS I liked how that dwarf was re-connected back to the fade with the implication that these are what dwarves used to be like. To me, she was basically that culture's very own Herald or your counterpart.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Blue Raider posted:

that wave fight with the darkspawn is the real drat deal

That seems like the kind of thing that Origins should have done more. Show off the real threat of the Blight with seemingly endless darkspawn pouring out until you are forced to retreat.

No, I do not count any of what happened in Denerim because the only threat from those "grunt" darkspawn was the terrible combat system forcing your melee characters to slowly shuffle after them before a ranged one picks them off.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Well, it happened again last night -- I started a new save.

I realized that, on my previous run, that rushing through the main plot to get access of job specializations really hosed up my play style. So, this time, I'm fully grinding out locations as much as I can before I have to advance the story.

Also, had to switch to male, gotta romance Cassandra!

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Beat it yesterday and I was really hoping they were going to go somewhere with Shaper Volta doing loving magic but it looks like they just handwaved it away??? Maybe it'll come back later.

Lyrium being Titan blood makes sense I guess, but I kind of don't care about it either. I have no frame of reference for what a Titan is and the DLC didn't explain it well enough for me to really get into it or feel like it was a mind blowing reveal. It's like telling somebody who has never seen the Star Wars movies that Darth Vader is Luke's father, then when they were like "Who is Darth Vader and for that matter who is Luke", you tried to explain why it was a big deal. It's too late, you've done it in the wrong order, I don't care anymore. Get me interested in Titans before you tell me lyrium is Titan's blood.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I didn't even need that much, the concept was cool. I got annoyed by something else. "Here are these massive beings that have been rumored in legends and fragments" was good enough, it was the ending itself. So uh, I'm running around inside some immense being like a tapeworm and now you're acting kinda weird and oh ok that's it. WTF? Don't get to see anything, no real explanation or resolution.

Fightin's good though :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

SubponticatePoster posted:

I didn't even need that much, the concept was cool. I got annoyed by something else. "Here are these massive beings that have been rumored in legends and fragments" was good enough, it was the ending itself. So uh, I'm running around inside some immense being like a tapeworm and now you're acting kinda weird and oh ok that's it. WTF? Don't get to see anything, no real explanation or resolution.

Fightin's good though :haw:

Right? She's all like everything's fine, don't worry about it, and the inquisitor is like "oh OK". At this point the Inquisition is like a major superpower so I'm thinking we're gonna have to have our best engineers and researchers set up a permanent base camp in this place pronto.

• Locked thread