Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Are you sure you actually did all the summoner quests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Krinkle posted:

I'm mostly a Scholar but I did all the summoner quests. What makes SMN do AoE damage? Isn't fester single target?

bane, painflare, deathflare, its obscene

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Krinkle posted:

I'm mostly a Scholar but I did all the summoner quests. What makes SMN do AoE damage? Isn't fester single target?

have you even looked at smn abilities post 50

painflare and deathflare are Very Powerful, on top of bane now spreading dots to all targets instead of just 3 and shadow flare still existing and being good

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Krinkle posted:

This triple triad timer website says she's supposed to be in this house, but she won't play me in the house. How many hundred story quests do I need to do before she settles down? I did both sons' quests and am back with the dad.

You need to finish the HW msq before you can play her again. Have fun with random/chaos and a harder deck. :smithicide:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

LordSaturn posted:

None of the MDPS classes has good AoE damage. If you want AoE damage, you want BLM.

Dragoon has awesome aoe especially coupled with a bard, machinist, ninja, or ast. It has two aoe cooldowns and doom spike is tits.

Also BLM aoe isn't poo poo compared to summoner right now. BLM beats them in single target, but summoner is top dog in aoe by a large margin right now.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Krinkle posted:

This triple triad timer website says she's supposed to be in this house, but she won't play me in the house. How many hundred story quests do I need to do before she settles down? I did both sons' quests and am back with the dad.

Once she leaves Dragonhead you can't play Tataru until you complete the Heavensward main story.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

sword_man.gif posted:

have you even looked at smn abilities post 50

painflare and deathflare are Very Powerful, on top of bane now spreading dots to all targets instead of just 3 and shadow flare still existing and being good

No I meant to come back and edit that in but they pulled the boss and I got distracted.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I had some goon summoners running an expert with me last week and they were routinely going over 2k DPS on trash packs even without pet damage. I think the peak for one with pet was 2600 and the other 2400.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Is there an in game way to measure DPS or do I need a mod?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Krinkle posted:

You'll need a third party tool. Most people use http://advancedcombattracker.com

I don't have all the links handy, but there's an ffxiv plugin and a mini-parse plugin that I use that are fantastic.

Adventure Pigeon
Nov 8, 2005

I am a master storyteller.
Just another perspective on the crafter/gatherer situation

While you can make a lot of money off favor items and probably the final turn-ins from the crafter red scrip too, that market seems to be slowing down a lot. I'm seeing prices drop steadily for most things, and very few items actually being sold. At this point, there's more gatherer stuff entering the market than is being sold by a fair margin, so prices are going to continue to fall. My guess is most people have crafted what they want and are now waiting to see where things go, since there's not a whole lot of point to maxing crafting stats right now. You're not going to see a lot of people, or anyone really, purchasing non-visible items. Due to how the system works, the only point in upgrading past the ability to craft 2* at this point is to look cool.

At this point, my plans are to start stockpiling red scrip tokens so I can go whatever direction I need to when the next set of changes to crafting become clear. I expect the next big change to crafting/gathering will be accompanied with a large nerf to the difficulty of acquiring the current stuff, so I would not stockpile the turn-ins.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Avynte posted:

Have fun with random/chaos and a harder deck. :smithicide:

I'm so glad I stopped playing Triple Triad.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Mr. Nice! posted:

Go dragoon. You still have some positional requirements, but nothing as onerous as monk. Heavy Thrust needs flank, Chaos Thrust needs rear, and starting at 58 you'll get one of two random combo finishers that will either be flank or rear, but that's it. Dragon has great AOE and has skills that you need for any other physical dps class (invigorate and blood for blood).

I really like dragooning it up.

People keep saying DRG has great AoE--and I bet it does over short periods--but I run out of TP so god damned fast. Imagining doing A2 as DRG and not being the gobwalker makes me cringe. :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 12, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

I had some goon summoners running an expert with me last week and they were routinely going over 2k DPS on trash packs even without pet damage. I think the peak for one with pet was 2600 and the other 2400.

I'd probably still be playing SMN instead of leveling BLM (especially given that BLM AoE feels... kinda loving lousy, at least at 53), but I got frustrated playing SMN for situations when small adds need to die fast (first boss of Neverreap, last boss of Fractal, Ravana, probably orbs on Bismarck too I guess). I never did figure out a good way to handle those besides tossing out a couple Ruins and kinda crying when they explode or turn into swords anyway. (e: yes, there's holding Tri-Disaster etc. for them in some cases but then you're not using them on the boss and that feels just as lousy.)

That, and even the mild pet management of Contagion or basic retargeting isn't fun :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 12, 2015

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Ciaphas posted:

People keep saying DRG has great AoE but I run out of TP so god damned fast. Imagining doing A2 as DRG and not being the gobwalker makes me cringe. :(

I'm in the gob walker because we have a bard, blm, and summoner, but I've seen A2S clears with a dragoon in the mix.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm a little disappointed that Heavensward didn't have any Drakengard allusions.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Avynte posted:

You need to finish the HW msq before you can play her again. Have fun with random/chaos and a harder deck. :smithicide:

I just need to win, once, ever, to get that vaan card.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Krinkle posted:

To add more, ACT is the only one worth its salt, also use this plugin as well:

https://github.com/RainbowMage/OverlayPlugin/releases

You'll need to right click the download file and do Properties, then Unblock, then extract somewhere and add it in the plugins tab on ACT.

:siren: Do not ever ever ever ever ever give specific DPS numbers or talk about running a parser in game :siren:

This is technically against the rules, though Yoshi-P has all but outright stated he doesn't care as long as you're not an rear end with it. Do NOT berate people or be a jerk regarding their DPS or anyone's performance because GMs WILL come down on you hard for it, especially if kicking is involved.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I'd probably still be playing SMN instead of leveling BLM (especially given that BLM AoE feels... kinda loving lousy, at least at 53), but I got frustrated playing SMN for situations when small adds need to die fast (first boss of Neverreap, last boss of Fractal, Ravana, probably orbs on Bismarck too I guess). I never did figure out a good way to handle those besides tossing out a couple Ruins and kinda crying when they explode or turn into swords anyway. (e: yes, there's holding Tri-Disaster etc. for them in some cases but then you're not using them on the boss and that feels just as lousy.)

That, and even the mild pet management of Contagion or basic retargeting isn't fun :(

You have to put your pet on those types of adds. I'm not sure how I'd do it without a Logitech keyboard and assigning put commands to G1-G6

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Basically use ACT for your own personal gain, amusement, and bewilderment at just how bad some pubbie DPS can be.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

ACT seems to be locking up periodically to the point that I have to kill it in W10.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How DARE you do 15 dps in Tam Tam Deepcrop! We need to kick this guy he needs to atleast be doing 20 dps!

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

nuru posted:

ACT seems to be locking up periodically to the point that I have to kill it in W10.

Yeah happens to me too (W10) but it works for the most part.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

You have to put your pet on those types of adds. I'm not sure how I'd do it without a Logitech keyboard and assigning put commands to G1-G6

I have a Razer Naga to do my hotbars and sometimes I STILL feel like I'd benefit from whatever the modern version of those Nostromo n52s is, instead of my keyboard. I literally have no room left on my SMN bars for things like Place/Sic/Contagion/Obey commands to be hotkeyed, I have to click them from the pet hotbar. :(

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

My new favourite tank is the warrior who meticulously marks every target and then stops pulling to votekick the other DPS because he attacked 2 instead of 1

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Thanks for giving me more reason to not go to win10.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Rei_ posted:

My new favourite tank is the warrior who meticulously marks every target and then stops pulling to votekick the other DPS because he attacked 2 instead of 1

This is completely reasonable behavior :colbert:

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Ciaphas posted:

People keep saying DRG has great AoE--and I bet it does over short periods--but I run out of TP so god damned fast. Imagining doing A2 as DRG and not being the gobwalker makes me cringe. :(

you just single target + gks, pretty much every wave has a target that you need to focus down first so theres no point in spamming doom spike

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

Overpower will hold threat on all mobs on every pull from level 16 to level 60.

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

Rei_ posted:

hahahaha that's awesomeness

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Bane, painflare, Blizzard II spam, shadow flare, deathflare.

Tri-bind.

SMN has a lot of AOE.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

Sure, if you're a loving horrible WAR with absolutely no sense of introspection or ability to play WAR beyond level 10.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
How does examination of one's own conscious thoughts and feelings change how you play warrior? ME SMASH!

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Boten Anna posted:

Sure, if you're a loving horrible WAR with absolutely no sense of introspection or ability to play WAR beyond level 10.

:ironicat:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lol

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Boten Anna posted:

:ironicat:

i should refresh

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Bane, painflare, Blizzard II spam, shadow flare, deathflare.

Tri-bind.

SMN has a lot of AOE.

Also enkindle and each pet's AOE ability.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

I literally have no room left on my SMN bars for things like Place/Sic/Contagion/Obey commands to be hotkeyed, I have to click them from the pet hotbar. :(

You can keybind the pet hotbar itself, too. Personally I have it as the shift modifier. This had a wonderful side benefit of overwriting some annoying default keybindings that changed/scrolled hotbar 1 to be something else, a functionality that never once did me any favors.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Vil posted:

You can keybind the pet hotbar itself, too. Personally I have it as the shift modifier. This had a wonderful side benefit of overwriting some annoying default keybindings that changed/scrolled hotbar 1 to be something else, a functionality that never once did me any favors.

Of MMO days past, almost no one uses shift+1-6 to change the first hotbar anymore. The times have changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Had a level ~40 dragoon doing a random leveling dungeon without a single accessory, everyone was making fun of him but the rest of the team just carried on because all of us where over leveled and geared for that stone vigil. Then the dragoon went "Hey tank I hope you don't die you are missing rings" we just :stare:

The tank took his top off and ran the rest of the instance without it. The summoner took most of her things off too.

• Locked thread