Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

AlternateAccount posted:

I have a big list of these today, but maybe I'll just start with one of the greatest hits from today's meeting:

:downs:: We need coverage from 7AM-6PM(there are two people normally to do this.) If one of you is on vacation, the other needs to cover the 11 hours for that period.
:mad:: Uhh, so your solution to vacation is 55 hour workweeks?
:downs:: You've gotta learn to start working more than 40 hours a week.

gently caress that. We have other offsite staff people can call. My department is chronically, horribly understaffed and no one disputes this, and yet they think it's okay just to pile on some hours rather than, oh, I don't know, bringing in another body. I think it's time to start shopping.

Not a solution, but the last time we were told that, myself and two of the other senior team members decided to push it to a breaking point. I clocked 62 hours for a month, another guy hit 70, and the third pushed 90. The overtime stopped when the HR director pointed out that between the three of us clocking a combined total of 52 hours of overtime a week was more than hiring a new guy. The dude rocking 90 hours ended up buying a top of the line MacBook pro with cash from that incident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Raerlynn posted:

Not a solution, but the last time we were told that, myself and two of the other senior team members decided to push it to a breaking point. I clocked 62 hours for a month, another guy hit 70, and the third pushed 90. The overtime stopped when the HR director pointed out that between the three of us clocking a combined total of 52 hours of overtime a week was more than hiring a new guy. The dude rocking 90 hours ended up buying a top of the line MacBook pro with cash from that incident.

I am the salaried manager of the department :\ None of us are hourly. I would feel differently if we were, I could use a new MBP.

If I am, you have my apologies.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AlternateAccount posted:

I am the salaried manager of the department :\ None of us are hourly. I would feel differently if we were, I could use a new MBP.

Salaried doesn't necessarily mean exempt.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah, this. It's time to get to reading.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

anthonypants posted:

Yeah, this. It's time to get to reading.

Starting points? A bit of googling didn't get my far except for definitions. And even that's not much of a cure. It's more the principle of the thing, the refusal to hire more people to actually do the work, etc.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Inspector_666 posted:

LOL at thinking a salaried IT manager might not be considered exempt.

http://www.flsa.com/coverage.html

e: Asking for a raise for the department to support this would be a good idea.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

AlternateAccount posted:

Starting points? A bit of googling didn't get my far except for definitions. And even that's not much of a cure. It's more the principle of the thing, the refusal to hire more people to actually do the work, etc.
Google, the country you live in, labor law, overtime exemption

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Don't work 50+ hours a week on average unless you are actively looking for something else or are working on some lucrative commission. The first 40 are for your paycheck, the next 10 are for someone else's paycheck.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

anthonypants posted:

Google, the country you live in, labor law, overtime exemption

Labor law varies from state to state in the US too.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Yeah, I mean it seems really unlikely given my huge level of autonomy that I am going to suddenly be eligible for overtime.

Other concerns from today:
I am trying to move us more into grown-up company support model, requiring tickets and for users to be a bit more proactive with issues. Right now we just get phone calls, emails or walkups mostly, and we jump to fix whatever's broken. That's fine, but it's not sustainable with our growth.
I get some traction with that, but at the same time, we're now being literally expected to make rounds and go through the building daily, if not multiple times a day to talk to users and make sure everything is okay.
What the gently caress? If there's a problem, submit a ticket. Why do I have to come beg you to tell me what's broken?

And a large department apparently complains UPWARD to a C-level(my boss's boss) who doesn't have the professionalism to just say HEY DONT TELL ME, TELL IT, so we get vague beefs coming down with the weight of an executive behind them.

- Job doesn't pay enough.
- IT culture is heading the wrong way, like 180 the wrong way.
- We're being told that higher ups think we don't do anything because they carry the antiquated notion that IT productivity = BUTTS IN SEATS and VISIBILITY, not results. So now on my way out at night, I am encouraged to walk through the executive wing so they know we're here. I am not a loving security blanket for children.
- Company refuses to hire people to support users (we've gone from ~400->~700 users in less than 18 months, we have not hired a single individual to do desktop support)

I am going to push through to the end of this year, since I'm expecting a reasonably large salary bump, and then it's time to bail.

AlternateAccount fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Aug 12, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I can't wait to start the ERP migration and have my 'senior systems analyst' try to sabotage it so I can fire the gently caress out of him.

He's trying to sign into a vendors site to get an electronic order. Walks out here, "I can't get into their site! It says I need to upgrade my web browser!"

Use Firefox or Chrome you dumbshit!

Stands there looking at us. You know how to use it I've seen you have Firefox open before.

Goes back in and starts muttering about a password. A half hour later he comes back out. "I got in with Internet Explorer. I looked at their source code and it said I needed to use all capital letters for the user name and password! I looked at their source code!"

:engleft:

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, I mean it seems really unlikely given my huge level of autonomy that I am going to suddenly be eligible for overtime.

Other concerns from today:
I am trying to move us more into grown-up company support model, requiring tickets and for users to be a bit more proactive with issues. Right now we just get phone calls, emails or walkups mostly, and we jump to fix whatever's broken. That's fine, but it's not sustainable with our growth.
I get some traction with that, but at the same time, we're now being literally expected to make rounds and go through the building daily, if not multiple times a day to talk to users and make sure everything is okay.
What the gently caress? If there's a problem, submit a ticket. Why do I have to come beg you to tell me what's broken?

And a large department apparently complains UPWARD to a C-level(my boss's boss) who doesn't have the professionalism to just say HEY DONT TELL ME, TELL IT, so we get vague beefs coming down with the weight of an executive behind them.

- Job doesn't pay enough.
- IT culture is heading the wrong way, like 180 the wrong way.
- We're being told that higher ups think we don't do anything because they carry the antiquated notion that IT productivity = BUTTS IN SEATS and VISIBILITY, not results. So now on my way out at night, I am encouraged to walk through the executive wing so they know we're here. I am not a loving security blanket for children.
- Company refuses to hire people to support users (we've gone from ~400->~700 users in less than 18 months, we have not hired a single individual to do desktop support)

I am going to push through to the end of this year, since I'm expecting a reasonably large salary bump, and then it's time to bail.

Why would they pay you more money if you are willing to work 55+/week without complaint? Also, why leave *after* you make more? You'll be gone, and your next employer doesn't need to know how much you were making beforehand.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Mrit posted:

Why would they pay you more money if you are willing to work 55+/week without complaint? Also, why leave *after* you make more? You'll be gone, and your next employer doesn't need to know how much you were making beforehand.

Ugh, outstanding point and I know better. I am seriously embarrassed for saying such a loving stupid thing, thank you.

I will stick this out a while, I am also managing a very large project that will be a pretty huge resume builder and should be a big, big feather in my cap for my next job hunt. It's basically going from being a job to a portfolio building exercise at this point.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Folks here don't understand bathroom euphemisms.

:eng101: I need to go visit the littlest room.
:clint: huh?
:eng101: you know, I have to go see a man about a horse.
:clint: you ride horses?
:eng101: NO I HAVE TO GO TAKE A poo poo!

:clint: ohhhh.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
When I started working at my consulting job, I was only four days a week. My salary was a nice number, $40k, divisible perfectly by four. Later, I switched to five days. I had a conversation with my boss/owner, three months before hand in which he asked me how much money I wanted for the switch to five days. I said, "well, if 4 days=40k, then 5 days=50k."

It was mid year, so I had a raise recently, and I didn't figure I should push for more. I also didn't get it in writing. Three months later, when I start working 5 days, he send me an email saying the salary will be the agreed upon $44k. I tell him there's a mistake, and he said

"Well, I know you asked for 50k, and I agreed, but I've though about it, and even though you are working one more day, you will only be doing 4 more hours a week, since you already work four 12 hour days, and a lot of weekends and nights, so one more week day isn't going to really increase your productivity, since you won't want to work so many nights and weekends. I figure I'll get 10% more out of you, so I think a 10% raise is fair."

I've never been so angry at another human.

Also when I quit, a few years later, I was working easily 60/70 hours a week. He asked me "What, you can't handle the work? I thought you were tougher." I just looked at him.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nitrogen posted:

This is hanging on the wall in my office bathroom, it's also taped to the inside of each stall door.

I work on Wall Street. This is insane. The bathroom is disgusting.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

This is hanging on the wall in my office bathroom, it's also taped to the inside of each stall door.

My office has an image macro taped to the bathroom wall that reminds us not to throw paper towels in the urinal. It's so utterly pathetic to me that an office full of ostensible adults had enough of a problem with this that somebody needed to put up a sign.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

This reminds me, my mom used to teach K/1/2 special ed. The bathroom in her classroom had a big sign on the inside of the door that said "The poop goes IN THE TOILET, not on the floor!"

Some adults bathrooms probably need that sign.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

I think the courtesy flush has gone out of style and I feel that is crime.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

nitrogen posted:

I don't get either of those.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
If it's yellow let it mellow.
If it's brown flush it down.
If you do not flush the brown
we will loving stab you.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

Before I get more upset with our provider, 14ms latency to the first hop inside the ISPs network is unacceptable on a uncontended fibre leased line circuit, isn't it? They have tried to tell me it's because their DC is 150 miles from us, but that accounts for about 5ms at most.

A lot of networking hardware does not respond to ICMP at the same priority as forwarding traffic. Is there a reliable endpoint you can test?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Not pissing me off:
Currently watching a "Please remove me too" distribution list storm, on a list with over 10k people worldwide. My group has bets on how many responses it will get before it stops.

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

Gwaihir posted:

This reminds me, my mom used to teach K/1/2 special ed. The bathroom in her classroom had a big sign on the inside of the door that said "The poop goes IN THE TOILET, not on the floor!"

Some adults bathrooms probably need that sign.

When I worked construction years ago on the wall of the port-o-john someone had scrawled with sharpie "poo poo in the toilet not on the seat." Unfortunately many, people ignored the plea. There was more poo poo everywhere than when I used to clean barn stalls.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

NeuralSpark posted:

Not pissing me off:
Currently watching a "Please remove me too" distribution list storm, on a list with over 10k people worldwide. My group has bets on how many responses it will get before it stops.
Holy :laffo: poo poo

I wonder how much trouble someone would get into if they did a reply all which said like "Please post here to be removed"

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Holy :laffo: poo poo

I wonder how much trouble someone would get into if they did a reply all which said like "Please post here to be removed"

110 responses and counting, with reply speed increasing. I'm going to graph it when it's done.

EDIT: Aww, they deleted the list

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 12, 2015

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

NeuralSpark posted:

110 responses and counting, with reply speed increasing. I'm going to graph it when it's done.

The intelligent way of handling it. I guess count your blessings that whoever's in charge has a brain?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

NeuralSpark posted:

Not pissing me off:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2004/04/08/109626.aspx

quote:

First off, the original mail went to 13,000 users. Assuming that 1,000 of those 13,000 users replied, that means that there are 1,000 replies being sent to those 13,000 users. And it turns out that a number of these people had their email client set to request read receipts and delivery receipts. Each read and delivery receipt causes ANOTHER email to be sent from the recipient back to the sender (all 13,000 recipients). Assuming that 20% of the 1,000 users replying had read receipts or delivery receipts set, that meant that every one of the message that they sent caused another message to be sent for every one of the 13,000 recipients. So how many messages were sent?

First there were the basic messages – that’s 13,000,000 messages.
Next there were the receipts – 200 users, 13,000 receipts – that’s and additional 2,600,000 messages.
So about 15.5 MILLION messages were sent through the system. In about an hour.

So at a minimum, 15,600,000 email messages will be delivered into peoples mailboxes. But Exchange can handle 15,600,000 email messages EASILY. There’s another problem that’s somewhat deeper.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
On my last day (this Fri) I'm totally sending an email to the "ALL EMPLOYEES" email list.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Not pissing me off: After finding out you can downgrade from 10 to 7 for a month, I said gently caress it and upgraded. Needing to set the privacy options is a little irritating, but I'm honestly stunned that Windows managed to upgrade without loving up the GRUB boot record. Last time I dealt with Windows installation media, just booting from the CD overwrote the MBR.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Ursine Asylum posted:

Not pissing me off: After finding out you can downgrade from 10 to 7 for a month, I said gently caress it and upgraded. Needing to set the privacy options is a little irritating, but I'm honestly stunned that Windows managed to upgrade without loving up the GRUB boot record. Last time I dealt with Windows installation media, just booting from the CD overwrote the MBR.

Your system is hopefully EFI, which handles this a lot better.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

NeuralSpark posted:

One of these epic chains happened for me a couple years back, with a list that had ~110k people on it. It took all day to calm down, but not before devolving in to some people outright trolling. Our state office aaaalmost managed to show restraint until one exceptionally dumb person just replied with a plain SHOUT OUT FROM (OFFICE X) LOLOLOL.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Finster Dexter posted:

On my last day (this Fri) I'm totally sending an email to the "ALL EMPLOYEES" email list.

In the smallest font possible, in the same colour as the background, add something like "9/11 was an inside job", then ask someone later if anyone saw the secret message.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Finster Dexter posted:

Apparently, it is A Thing at my company to create a severity 1 ticket on one's last day saying, "Today is my last day!"

A Sev1 ticket pages pretty much the whole company including the CEO.

Those wacky software engineers.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
poo poo pissing me off:

I talk customer calls but we also do have internal dept, that can contact in as well, so I have to tream them like customers.

He was converting an ISO to USB and attempting to boot to it, to no avail. I found it wasn't designed to be bootable; he argued that it was and his evidence was that it was implied on the ISO's page that it "can be used to make a CD/DVD" section. I then had to point out that a) is that it means an ISO can be burned onto disk and B) that ON THE SAME PAGE it said "Note: this image is NOT bootable."

And this person works for us...

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
gently caress Time Warner.

I got a circuit from them to be the backup line for the HQ. I was also going to route all our wifi traffic over it to keep the primary circuit clean. Tech delivers the circuit yesterday and installs the Arris modem. He asks if I want it in bridged mode and I explain that it will be running right into my firewall so yes, bridged mode, all features off. I plug a laptop in to test it today and it pulls an IP.

Long story short:

TW could not explain this and they refused to give me the management login info. Not an issue because they left the password as "password" and as I expected it's not bridged, DHCP is on, the built-in firewall is on, etc. After turning all of this off if you set up the laptop to use the static IP and other info from TW it doesn't work. If you set the laptop for DHCP is still pulls a goddamn IP, but this time from some Road Runner server on their network. And with that info you still can't get anywhere because the DNS addresses it sends are unreachable.

I feel like I should just buy my own modem.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Erwin posted:

Sales people annoy me.

His signature was all on the same line as the body like that, as if he manually typed it out on his Blackberry.

gently caress off. Still not as annoying as unsolicited meeting invites for "30 minutes to discuss how we can help you".

I've told 3 of these to go pound sand today.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dick Trauma posted:

I feel like I should just buy my own modem.

$79.85 Modem Activation Fee, $13.95/month Customer Provided Modem surcharge, modem never works because it's not on the 'supported equipment list' which only includes the one specific Arris model they get custom from some factory in shitholeistan.

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007
poo poo pissing me off: setting up WinRM on this domain. I edited the domain GPO to start WinRM automatically and to open the relevant port for traffic, but it's only working for half of the workstations. I went around to a few of those to try winrm quickconfig in the cmd prompt and it tells me that it's already configured. I just want the timeout errors to go away so I can get back to the fun part of PowerShell, actually writing scripts :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Comodo

I want to loving burn Comodo to the ground.

They have a scanner that checks when your SSL certificates expire and if you are <90 days out they call 3 times a day "I urgently need to speak with you about your expiring SSL certificates!"

We run over 100 websites and a lot of the domains are managed by us so we manage the certificates as well. So, we are almost always 90 days out from some expiration so they constantly call.

Who does this work on? They have pretty much guaranteed I never ever ever do any sort of business with them my entire career. If I ever go to some place new and they use Comodo products, I'm going to make it my first order of business to transition away from them. Seriously, gently caress off and die.