Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TheJoker138 posted:

The folders are all correct, but how they want the episodes named is not. And I am not going through and renaming all that crap. Ugh. Thanks anyway.

Give this a whirl - http://www.filebot.net

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

TheJoker138 posted:

The folders are all correct, but how they want the episodes named is not. And I am not going through and renaming all that crap. Ugh. Thanks anyway.

You're going to run into this problem with any library based playback software then, your alternative is filename based playback instead. I suggest you use Filebot or TheRenamer to name them properly instead of whatever scrambled silliness they came from (torrents or whatever). I'd also look into getting properly named files on output from your clients but that goes beyond the scope of this.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

We have a cabinet full of DVDs and I've been thinking about consolidating them all onto one or more hard drives and streaming them with Plex through our Roku 3. It would be for a home network only. I'm new to virtually everything involved, so a couple of questions:

1. I'd anticipate converting / re-encoding the DVDs to a Plex/Roku acceptable file format (e.g., mp4). I'm guessing there will be some quality loss, but is it likely to be noticeable? Or can the conversion be higher or lower quality, with the main difference being the output file size? If the output is going to suffer heavily, then I'll probably just keep using the DVDs.

2. I think my preference would be to have a separate NAS (something along the lines of a 2 bay Synology) both for storage and for the Plex media server. If I go in that direction, would I need to get something capable of heavy transcoding (these seem to be fairly expensive) or, assuming I convert / re-encode the media to a fully compatible format, am I likely to be able to Direct Play for the most part?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

We have a cabinet full of DVDs and I've been thinking about consolidating them all onto one or more hard drives and streaming them with Plex through our Roku 3. It would be for a home network only. I'm new to virtually everything involved, so a couple of questions:

1. I'd anticipate converting / re-encoding the DVDs to a Plex/Roku acceptable file format (e.g., mp4). I'm guessing there will be some quality loss, but is it likely to be noticeable? Or can the conversion be higher or lower quality, with the main difference being the output file size? If the output is going to suffer heavily, then I'll probably just keep using the DVDs.

2. I think my preference would be to have a separate NAS (something along the lines of a 2 bay Synology) both for storage and for the Plex media server. If I go in that direction, would I need to get something capable of heavy transcoding (these seem to be fairly expensive) or, assuming I convert / re-encode the media to a fully compatible format, am I likely to be able to Direct Play for the most part?

How much space would your NAS have and how big is your DVD collection? You could go for complete lossless conversion of your DVDs by just muxing the VOBs to MKV with ffmpeg, but depending on your DVD collection size, that would obviously take up a considerable amount of space. Though to be honest, I'm sure you could rip every DVD you have to H264 MP4 at a nice, high bitrate (like 10Mbps or something) and not see any noticeable difference in quality between the actual DVD and the MP4.

And yes, if your Plex server isn't going to be serving remote clients outside your local network, and you convert all your DVDs to a format that your clients (Roku, PCs, etc.) can play just fine, everything should Direct Play without the need for transcoding.

[edit] As an aside, the apps I use for my own rips (which I do on a Mac) are iffmpeg and mkvtoolnix.

teagone fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 13, 2015

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

teagone posted:

How much space would your NAS have and how big is your DVD collection? You could go for complete lossless conversion of your DVDs by just muxing the VOBs to MKV with ffmpeg, but depending on your DVD collection size, that would obviously take up a considerable amount of space. Though to be honest, I'm sure you could rip every DVD you have to H264 MP4 at a nice, high bitrate (like 10Mbps or something) and not see any noticeable difference in quality between the actual DVD and the MP4.

And yes, if your Plex server isn't going to be serving remote clients outside your local network, and you convert all your DVDs to a format that your clients (Roku, PCs, etc.) can play just fine, everything should Direct Play without the need for transcoding.

[edit] As an aside, the apps I use for my own rips (which I do on a Mac) are iffmpeg and mkvtoolnix.

Many thanks! Sounds like there's a reasonable chance we can go in the direction I've been thinking about, and I'll definitely check out ffmpeg (my OS is Windows 10) and mkvtoolnix.

We seem to have gathered a ton of old DVDs over the years, probably about 250-300 in all. We'll rip alot of them but probably not nearly all. And if it comes to a choice, I'll rip fewer to keep a reasonably decent resolution.

I'll still have the DVDs, at least for now, they'll just be buried in the basement, so (I think) I don't care about mirroring. Any ballpark sense of how much average space per DVD the mp4s are likely to take up? The available RAID hard drives seem to include some extremely large sizes (e.g., 4TB WD Reds), so hopefully a two bay NAS would be big enough.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Deeters posted:

Recently I've been using Plex on my android phone to get music off my desktop and cast it to my Chromecast. After one of the recent updates, my phone will no longer change songs, but what's actually playing on the Chromecast does. Anyone have an idea of what to do to fix this? I can't find anything on Google. My server is at Version 0.9.12.8 and phone is 4.8.0.389 (Android 5.1)

In case anyone is wondering, I fixed my own problem, having gotten no answer from the Plex forums. I just reinstalled Plex on my phone.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Many thanks! Sounds like there's a reasonable chance we can go in the direction I've been thinking about, and I'll definitely check out ffmpeg (my OS is Windows 10) and mkvtoolnix.

We seem to have gathered a ton of old DVDs over the years, probably about 250-300 in all. We'll rip alot of them but probably not nearly all. And if it comes to a choice, I'll rip fewer to keep a reasonably decent resolution.

I'll still have the DVDs, at least for now, they'll just be buried in the basement, so (I think) I don't care about mirroring. Any ballpark sense of how much average space per DVD the mp4s are likely to take up? The available RAID hard drives seem to include some extremely large sizes (e.g., 4TB WD Reds), so hopefully a two bay NAS would be big enough.

I think 2x4TB drives should be plenty to hold your entire DVD collection. For some reason I associated "cabinet of DVDs" to like thousands haha. I guess, say each DVD is around 5GB or 9GB, that's only a little over 1TB to 2TB of space if you make lossless rips. If you compress them down to like 480p rips at 5-10Mbps bitrate H264 MP4 files, they'd probably hover around maybe like ~1.5 to 2GB per rip or so? Maybe less depending on the length of the movie? Either way, space shouldn't be an issue if you get at least 3TB of storage.

teagone fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 13, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

teagone posted:

Lazy. Lazy. Lazy.

I have rips of every TV show I've bought on DVD since 2001. It would probably take a solid day of renaming. They should just make it work right, as I have them all fuckin' id3 tagged or whatever it is that iTunes uses to read them.

E:

I'll check this out, though.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheJoker138 posted:

I have rips of every TV show I've bought on DVD since 2001. It would probably take a solid day of renaming. They should just make it work right, as I have them all fuckin' id3 tagged or whatever it is that iTunes uses to read them.

Fairly certain you could use a batch rename utility to do it easily.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

PerrineClostermann posted:

Fairly certain you could use a batch rename utility to do it easily.

I didn't see there was another page with FileBot linked. I'm gonna try it out.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I'm curious (legitimately) what everyone is downloading/watching that Plex can't find matches. I get all kinds of odd filenames and everything matches out of the box, except for the occasional lesser known, or hot of the presses sporting event.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

porkface posted:

I'm curious (legitimately) what everyone is downloading/watching that Plex can't find matches. I get all kinds of odd filenames and everything matches out of the box, except for the occasional lesser known, or hot of the presses sporting event.

For me it's mainly special interest content like concerts, workout stuff, and firearm training videos.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

porkface posted:

I've thrown some pretty wild stuff at it, even horrible 90s rips of 90s shows and the only thing I've had it stumble on are oddly named cds from those random "ESSENCE OF ROCK" or "NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC 14" type music cds.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

teagone posted:

For me it's mainly special interest content like concerts, workout stuff, and firearm training videos.

Start submitting feature requests to better support the hearing impaired (me too).

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well
I've found that it can't handle seasonepisode file naming. Like "Show.115.blah". It will not know that's season 1, episode 15. Have to rename to s01e15. I feel like I'm on the most updated version, too.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

teagone posted:

I think 2x4TB drives should be plenty to hold your entire DVD collection. For some reason I associated "cabinet of DVDs" to like thousands haha. I guess, say each DVD is around 5GB or 9GB, that's only a little over 1TB to 2TB of space if you make lossless rips. If you compress them down to like 480p rips at 5-10Mbps bitrate H264 MP4 files, they'd probably hover around maybe like ~1.5 to 2GB per rip or so? Maybe less depending on the length of the movie? Either way, space shouldn't be an issue if you get at least 3TB of storage.

Presumably you're just doing this to avoid transcoding to stream? I just throw .VOBs right into a folder and name them. PLEX picks them up and just plays them. If I look in the logs it seems to pick 7.5Mbps for an DVD encode and since it's SD content the CPU use is very negligible.

An option for the lazy, anyway.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Khablam posted:

Presumably you're just doing this to avoid transcoding to stream? I just throw .VOBs right into a folder and name them. PLEX picks them up and just plays them. If I look in the logs it seems to pick 7.5Mbps for an DVD encode and since it's SD content the CPU use is very negligible.

An option for the lazy, anyway.

Yeah, the main reasons to encode the VOBs into MP4s prior to loading them into a Plex library are to avoid transcoding across any platform all together, which would be useful on a lesser powered NAS that's acting as the media server, and for storage reasons. What are the specs of your PMS? I guess Sheikh could just toss all the VOBs into a Plex library and avoid having to encode each DVD manually and instead just let the NAS transcode all the media instead. Definitely an easier route, but also requires more storage space. The only thing I'd be worried about is if the NAS CPU would choke on transcoding more than 1 VOB stream at a time.

teagone fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 13, 2015

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

porkface posted:

Sometimes anime series have weird stuff with them if there's a ton of various media for it. Western cartoons with fifteen minute episodes and video files that are thirty minutes long line sponge Bob mess with it too.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

teagone posted:

What are the specs of your PMS? I guess Sheikh could just toss all the VOBs into a Plex library and avoid having to encode each DVD manually and instead just let the NAS transcode all the media instead. Definitely an easier route, but also requires more storage space. The only thing I'd be worried about is if the NAS CPU would choke on transcoding more than 1 VOB stream at a time.
I'm using a decrepit laptop (2010 Vaio) as a stand-in at the moment so I can't give anything very precise on performance. It seems to use about half the CPU of 4mp/720 streaming. Just loading a file now, and it's using about 20-25% of a CPU that scores 3200 passmarks on a good day, to both transcode and play, so I'd ballpark it at 2 vob streams per regular HD transcode. Probably slightly more intense than a "fell off the internet" XVid or something but still a long way short of even 720p loads.

That said I just noticed he was asking for a NAS-NAS and not a PC based server, so probably stick to getting everything direct playing. Unless he needs a NAS for other things I would definitely recommend re-purposing hardware before using one; hardware worthless enough to get dumped without a second thought would outperform most at being a transcoding server, and the freedom to just toss any old media at it and not bother to do anything is so nice.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Ugh I need help Plex goons.

Everything was working peachy on windows 8.1, I just fresh installed 10

Now no matter what I do, I am getting stumped at

PlexAPI: No Response from Plex Media Server
PlexAPI: We failed to reach a server. Reason: Unauthorized

From my reading it seems to be a certificate issue, I've created the certs 2-3 times just to be sure, and tried both methods to install them on AtV (http://trailers.appletv.com/trailers.cer) and (ipforPMS/certificates.cer)

I can see everything happening on the server log, its communicating beautifully, but always stalls when trying to load the libraries with the above error

I've been at this for the past 3 hours trying everything I can think of with no dice, including disabling every firewall, antivirus, and putting the PMS on a DMZ.

[PlexConnect]
enable_plexgdm = False
ip_pms = 192.168.0.101
port_pms = 32400
enable_dnsserver = True
port_dnsserver = 53
ip_dnsmaster = 8.8.8.8
prevent_atv_update = True
enable_plexconnect_autodetect = True
ip_plexconnect = 192.168.0.101
hosttointercept = trailers.apple.com
port_webserver = 80
enable_webserver_ssl = True
port_ssl = 443
certfile = ./assets/certificates/trailers.pem
allow_gzip_atv = False
allow_gzip_pmslocal = False
allow_gzip_pmsremote = True
loglevel = Normal
logpath = .

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sappo569 posted:

Ugh I need help Plex goons.

Everything was working peachy on windows 8.1, I just fresh installed 10

Now no matter what I do, I am getting stumped at

PlexAPI: No Response from Plex Media Server
PlexAPI: We failed to reach a server. Reason: Unauthorized

From my reading it seems to be a certificate issue, I've created the certs 2-3 times just to be sure, and tried both methods to install them on AtV (http://trailers.appletv.com/trailers.cer) and (ipforPMS/certificates.cer)

I can see everything happening on the server log, its communicating beautifully, but always stalls when trying to load the libraries with the above error

I've been at this for the past 3 hours trying everything I can think of with no dice, including disabling every firewall, antivirus, and putting the PMS on a DMZ.

[PlexConnect]
enable_plexgdm = False
ip_pms = 192.168.0.101
port_pms = 32400
enable_dnsserver = True
port_dnsserver = 53
ip_dnsmaster = 8.8.8.8
prevent_atv_update = True
enable_plexconnect_autodetect = True
ip_plexconnect = 192.168.0.101
hosttointercept = trailers.apple.com
port_webserver = 80
enable_webserver_ssl = True
port_ssl = 443
certfile = ./assets/certificates/trailers.pem
allow_gzip_atv = False
allow_gzip_pmslocal = False
allow_gzip_pmsremote = True
loglevel = Normal
logpath = .

Does the web app work? Are you only getting issues using Plex Connect on your ATV?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

teagone posted:

Does the web app work? Are you only getting issues using Plex Connect on your ATV?

Yep, everything else works

My android tablet connected no issues and started streaming immediately.

It's ONLY the AtV that is being a giant turd

I'm almost 99% sure it is the certificate, but can't for the life of me figure out why or how, I've done exactly the same things I always do to install it

I read something about removing old certificates before installing a new one, but the only thing I know is to remove the profile?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I'm sure this has question has came up at some point but I can't seem to find a clear answer.

Simply put, what would happen if Plex shut their doors right now? As in, say I've got a simple server setup, 3 devices at my house that hit it locally, and 2 devices outside my network that hit it remotely. What would work and what would be broken?

I'm a big fan of setting up things that are as self sufficient as possible and would love to at least be prepared if something wild were to happen. Just thinking about it has me seriously wanting to switch to something more self sufficient like Kodi or what not.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I think worse case it just wouldn't do server auto-discovery by logging into your account. You could still forward ports and reach the server directly by IP, which I think all of the clients I've used support.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Any cloud-based stuff that you might subscribe to wouldn't work obviously, but mostly you would just have to enter the IP address and port number of your server for devices that aren't on your home wifi.

edit: Also it may not be a good idea to continue running server software that is no longer getting security updates from its developer.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 14, 2015

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Good deal! I don't think I've ever messed with Plex when my internet is down so I had no clue if it would explode or not even matter. Thanks!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

teagone posted:

So I fixed it... but it doesn't make sense to me

I was never able to connect remotely (only on the LAN)

I checked my routers port forwarding, and it must have hosed up with UpnP, because one of the port numbers was wrong for Plex

Changed everything to 32400, and it suddenly worked fine

The not making sense part is I had tried turning on the DMZ last night, that should have eliminated any 'wrong port' problems?

I'm happy it's working, but I'm worried now that my AtV is going alllll the way out into the WAN and then round about back to the PMS, which would quickly chew up my bandwith

Or is this a symptom of needing remote access for authentication? Which is what the problem was all along

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Just tried PlexPy out today, its pretty drat slick.

https://github.com/drzoidberg33/plexpy

Does anyone know how to tell which items have been watched in a playlist? I have a 100+ item playlist and I don't see watched/unwatched icons in any of the apps I use.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 15, 2015

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

teagone posted:

Is your library set to use your personal media as the primary agent? See below:

Maybe that might fix your issues.

[edit] Another option is since the Plex forums got a major overhaul, it's become a pretty good place to ask a question and have the Plex community and devs try and help you sort out any issues.

Ive done that. I feel like this feature doesn't actually work on PMS. Has anyone actually got this to work? (Using local nfo and jpeg files for cover art and organization instead of TMDB)

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 16, 2015

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Sappo569 posted:

So I fixed it... but it doesn't make sense to me

I was never able to connect remotely (only on the LAN)

I checked my routers port forwarding, and it must have hosed up with UpnP, because one of the port numbers was wrong for Plex

Changed everything to 32400, and it suddenly worked fine

The not making sense part is I had tried turning on the DMZ last night, that should have eliminated any 'wrong port' problems?

I'm happy it's working, but I'm worried now that my AtV is going alllll the way out into the WAN and then round about back to the PMS, which would quickly chew up my bandwith

Or is this a symptom of needing remote access for authentication? Which is what the problem was all along

I have tried in the past leaving it to the default port and settings with nothing working. When I told Plex to switch the port manually, but left it use the exact same port as before, it magically works.

This was true for my server and a recent one a friend set up.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Roundboy posted:

I have tried in the past leaving it to the default port and settings with nothing working. When I told Plex to switch the port manually, but left it use the exact same port as before, it magically works.

This was true for my server and a recent one a friend set up.

This isn't really magical, it just means it's failing the uPNP setup in some terminal way. I haven't had a look at it closely, but it seems to default to having no port open at all if it is set to uPNP setup and this fails. Manual just tells it to open a port without confirmation.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Latest version of PHT and Plex Server and I'm finding an issue...

I have a drive just full of unsorted media that I display in Folder mode, so it matches what I see in Explorer/Finder. I always find every time I upgrade or add a client to a machine, I have to set it to do this then it acts that way by default, rather than just displaying every video in the share in a row. On the new version, though, I press Left Arrow on the screen to go into the options, and it just displays a long list of every video (like a playlist). Anyone else seeing this? It's a bit annoying.

e: Ignore me... a restart of PHT, of course, fixed it.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Aug 16, 2015

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

I did the same thing a while back, but I did do mirroring, just so I never had to redo that process again. I did a pair of Mirrored 3TB and did conversions using Handbrake to mp4 for DVDs and MKV for Blurays. DVD movies averaged around 700mb for what looks like decent quality to me, Blurays ended up around 3-6GB. I usually kept the original audio tracks and also added a stereo version.

I've got around 800 gigs free left out of those 3TB, and that also includes me ripping all our TV dvds as well.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I want to move my NAS out of my lounge and into a cupboard.

Currently I've got my NAS running Emby, Kodi and Emby.Kodi, But I've had real problems with using the android app with Emby.Kodi (Like, 15min delay on interactions). And for some reason, Emby has just ignored a third of my movies.
I had a fiddle with Plex a while ago, but the linux build of PlexHT had loads of screen tearing issues.

So, What's the best out-of-the-box device that's going to get me watching content at full resolution/bitrate on Plex?

And if it's Roku, why is this cheaper than this ? There's got to be a catch right?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

xlevus posted:

Currently I've got my NAS running Emby, Kodi and Emby.Kodi, But I've had real problems with using the android app with Emby.Kodi (Like, 15min delay on interactions). And for some reason, Emby has just ignored a third of my movies.
I had a fiddle with Plex a while ago, but the linux build of PlexHT had loads of screen tearing issues.

So, What's the best out-of-the-box device that's going to get me watching content at full resolution/bitrate on Plex?

And if it's Roku, why is this cheaper than this ? There's got to be a catch right?

The one Roku with the 3 month deal thing is cheaper than the other because it's a gold box deal. It will revert to the old pirce in several hours.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

xlevus posted:

Best is relative. Best I would classify as a box with Plex home theater. For me, the best device is a nexus player. In terms of low effort, wife approval box it makes the most sense for my situation. It hits all the things I need: cast support, netflix, youtube and plex/kodi.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

xlevus posted:

Going to echo the Nexus Player as being the best "no-frills, easy to set up client device" for Plex. That sentiment might change once the full version of the re-designed Plex channel for Roku is officially released, but I think what edge's my favor to the Nexus Player is Plex's ability to take advantage of universal search in Android TV. Roku's universal search unfortunately doesn't browse Plex libraries. That might change though, who knows.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

teagone posted:

Hey one follow up question (happy to move this to the HTPC or NAS thread if that would make more sense): If I were to go for a transcoding capable setup for Plex, it looks as though it would run me about the same amount to buy a QNAP/Synology as it would for me to build an NAS and use FreeNAS as the OS. Any thoughts on FreeNAS and Plex? (Or, in general, on which approach might be best?) Would FreeNAS be much more difficult to work with than the canned OSs that come with QNAP/Synology? My use would be limited to Plex (for now at least).

Maneki Neko posted:

I did the same thing a while back, but I did do mirroring, just so I never had to redo that process again. I did a pair of Mirrored 3TB and did conversions using Handbrake to mp4 for DVDs and MKV for Blurays. DVD movies averaged around 700mb for what looks like decent quality to me, Blurays ended up around 3-6GB. I usually kept the original audio tracks and also added a stereo version.

I've got around 800 gigs free left out of those 3TB, and that also includes me ripping all our TV dvds as well.

Thank you for the feedback! 3TB sounds like it might be OK for me as well.

Red Dad Redemption fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 17, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sheikh Djibouti posted:

Hey one follow up question (happy to move this to the HTPC or NAS thread if that would make more sense): If I were to go for a transcoding capable setup for Plex, it looks as though it would run me about the same amount to buy a QNAP/Synology as it would for me to build an NAS and use FreeNAS as the OS. Any thoughts on FreeNAS and Plex? (Or, in general, on which approach might be best?) Would FreeNAS be much more difficult to work with than the canned OSs that come with QNAP/Synology? My use would be limited to Plex (for now at least).

That unfortunately is uncharted territory for me as I've never built a FreeNAS based box, or have experience with one utilizing Plex. I did build a Plex Server for a friend that uses Ubuntu though. Hopefully someone else might be able to chime in. That said, I think the NAS thread would be much more helpful in this situation too.

[edit] It seems as though Plex doesn't officially support FreeNAS? Unless I'm blind, haha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

While we're on the topic of optimal client setups for Plex, is the Nexus Player capable of doing native streaming?

I currently play most files through an old Macbook with a Logitech remote, and it's nice that RWD and FF are pretty instantaneous on files that aren't transcoded. But for transcoded files on my Chromecast, it takes 5-10 seconds for any jumping to happen and playback to resume. It's generally not worth the wait if I missed something, and it's hard to tell where I'm skipping ahead so we generally just don't skip.

My server (and client) is an old Macbook Pro pre 2012 so it doesn't have the oompf to do super high def stuff. Is FF and RWD when transcoding a better experience with a i5 or better processor?