Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

A gif is just moving pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

TontoCorazon posted:

A gif is just moving pictures.

There's actually no such thing as a moving picture. It's a series of still images played in sequence.

:goonsay:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Moving Pictures was still a pretty good novel.

pageerror404
Feb 14, 2012

I finally killed them.

Sorry I'm not that good at math.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Admiral Bosch posted:

There's actually no such thing as a moving picture.
:colbert:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Speaking of Colbert and Rush's Moving Pictures

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Speaking of Colbert and Rush's Moving Pictures

Nice

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

Admiral Bosch posted:

There's actually no such thing as a moving picture. It's a series of still images played in sequence.

Oh boy next you're going to tell us you took a physics class and heard about these things called Plank length and time and how that statement is meaningless because every moment of existence can be considered a still image in a sequence.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

We are in Blackwatch Plaid. I repeat, we are in Blackwatch Plaid.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

disco_stu posted:

I had to do this for a lifeguard test. The idea was to jump in the pool with your clothes on and use your clothing to float for an hour. Worked pretty good. It's definitely way better than treading water for an hour. I'm not sure how well it would work in rough waters. Jeans hold air pretty well and the few wearing jogging pants did not have a good time. They just balloon and you can't see a thing while just barely floating.

While we are on the subject: has anyone ever had a real world situation where they needed to pick up a brick from the bottom of a lake?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

spog posted:

While we are on the subject: has anyone ever had a real world situation where they needed to pick up a brick from the bottom of a lake?

No.

While we are on the subject, where do you live that bricks are so valuable?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

No.

I don't know, but they always seemed very keen on it when I was learning to swim.

In fact, almost every test I took involved those bricks, yet I had to take a special, optional lesson to learn how to rescue a person.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I guess I've not used my brick in a pool skills as much as I could but my ability to play a Recorder sure has helped my life!

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

spog posted:

I don't know, but they always seemed very keen on it when I was learning to swim.

In fact, almost every test I took involved those bricks, yet I had to take a special, optional lesson to learn how to rescue a person.

They'll be very glad to have you around when they go to complete the new orphanage and the ceremonial "last brick" falls into a pool somehow

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

While we are on the subject, what happened to all the quick sand?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Goodpancakes posted:

While we are on the subject, what happened to all the quick sand?

It was all stolen for use as boobytraps in tombs/mansions.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Atmus posted:

It was all stolen for use as boobytraps in tombs/mansions.

Mansions?! Atmus you ignorant fool! Crushing walls and ceilings are the natural trap of mansions. Possibly floor triggered poison gas that fills the room slowly and has to be shut off by the repositioning of suits of armor. Tombs and temples have quicksand....maaaaaaaybe haunted jungle paths as well. Get back on your game!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Admiral Bosch posted:

Oh ye of little faith...

Jean Tinguely, White Moving Forms on Black Background

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Solice Kirsk posted:

Mansions?! Atmus you ignorant fool! Crushing walls and ceilings are the natural trap of mansions. Possibly floor triggered poison gas that fills the room slowly and has to be shut off by the repositioning of suits of armor. Tombs and temples have quicksand....maaaaaaaybe haunted jungle paths as well. Get back on your game!

Look at this scrub, whose mansion isn't large enough to have a couple quicksand traps in edition to all that.

What do you do to door to door salesman/proselytizers? Depend on a gate? Release the Hounds? Heh, I bet your golf caddy's chauffeur's limo only has three televisions at most.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
lol if you don't have Enrique airbrush the top layer of your foyer quicksand pit to look like polished marble

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Admiral Bosch posted:

:goonsay:

Says you, Muggle.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

spog posted:

No, but I have seen someone drop an iPhone into 12 feet of water and retrieve it. It's basically a brick after that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

spog posted:

Just saw this in the Belgian news:

quote:

German woman finds gold bar worth 16,000 euros in lake

In Germany, a woman has found a half-kilogram gold bar at the bottom of a lake. The gold bar is worth about 16,000 euros. She was kind enough to report the precious discovery to the police.

The German woman made the fortunate discovery during a swim in the Konigssee in Bavaria. She brought the ingot to the police, who could confirm it was real gold.

How the gold ended up in the lake, is not yet known. The police have already investigated the lake further and so far no more gold was found. Before you jump in your car: the Koenigssee is the deepest lake in Germany. It covers an area of over 5 square kilometers.
Translation from Dutch mine.

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Flipperwaldt posted:

Just saw this in the Belgian news:

Does it make me a terrible person that if I was lucky enough to find a gold bar while swimming/diving I probably wouldn't turn it in to police? I mean, if someone dropped a gold bar in a lake and couldn't be bothered to retrieve it then I'd say they probably don't want it.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

I wouldn't look a lost Nazi gold bar in the mouth, that's for certain. Unless she could get in some sort of serious trouble for selling it, like it's stamped with a (valid) government seal or the German equivalent of the IRS would seriously audit her after she sold it.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

A student was giving a presentation in our geology class and he had just been on a canoe trip on northern Minnesota. He showed off a picture he took out on the lake. You could see through the clear water down to a boulder with a sizeable gold vein below. I asked him why he didn't attempt to get that Rock out. At 1000+ an ounce it was worth the trouble. He didn't really have an answer.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

Goodpancakes posted:

A student was giving a presentation in our geology class and he had just been on a canoe trip on northern Minnesota. He showed off a picture he took out on the lake. You could see through the clear water down to a boulder with a sizeable gold vein below. I asked him why he didn't attempt to get that Rock out. At 1000+ an ounce it was worth the trouble. He didn't really have an answer.

He probably didn't go to the same swimming lessons that I went to.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

The Mentalizer posted:

Does it make me a terrible person that if I was lucky enough to find a gold bar while swimming/diving I probably wouldn't turn it in to police? I mean, if someone dropped a gold bar in a lake and couldn't be bothered to retrieve it then I'd say they probably don't want it.

I don't think you can easily sell gold bars of that worth without it raising some questions real quickly.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

theflyingorc posted:

I don't think you can easily sell gold bars of that worth without it raising some questions real quickly.
So you cut it into smaller pieces.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

WarpedNaba posted:

No.

Columbia?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Strudel Man posted:

So you cut it into smaller pieces.

Yeah, cut it into pieces, hammer the pieces into indistinct lumps. Then sell it to one of those dodgy places that advertise they buy old gold jewelry for scrap and only give you half what it is worth. They know half the stuff they are getting is stolen, they just don't give a gently caress.

Mustached5thGrader
Oct 1, 2011

My mother won't let me grow a goatee.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I hear that was a pretty good album

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

2.7 years is awfully specific

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Soulex posted:

2.7 years is awfully specific

do you know who uli is

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Every gif I see of that show makes it seem hilariously awesome, is there any truth to that?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Flipperwaldt posted:

How do you know that's where it came from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

MizPiz posted:

Every gif I see of that show makes it seem hilariously awesome, is there any truth to that?

Cheap 80s animation at its best.

• Locked thread