Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Paul Zuvella posted:

screenshots or it didnt happen.

He eventually reloads instead of playing to the end of the episode in that state, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

screenshots or it didnt happen.

So there's the ending page. I'm going to play Ep 5 with these choices, I can't wait to see how Schrodinger Frank is going to be in it. It was hilarious having Chloe literally sobbing on the bed while Frank is texting me, as well as my journal entries being all messed up for that area, like, it showed both actions entries written over each other in a horrible mess.

In any other game, this kind of glitch would be really annoying. In this game, it's almost poetic.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

It's almost like Max is writing down "Chloe killed Frank, but at least no one important was hurt."

That's pretty cold, Max.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Game just get patched?

Sure wishing that was a pre ep 5 patch and it's going to unexpectedly drop tomorrow or something.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

VagueRant posted:

Game just get patched?

Sure wishing that was a pre ep 5 patch and it's going to unexpectedly drop tomorrow or something.

Seeing how broken some of the stuff in Episode 4 is, Im sure they are just trying to fix it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Did they fix the scratches in Nathan's dorm being undetectable if you rewind touching his PC?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'll be sad if they patch out that save state where Frank is both alive and dead, that poo poo is glorious.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Schrodinger's Drug Dealer.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Also came across this video of the mo-cap for the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zHOE27v8pw
I think it always registered in my mind that the game was mo-capped but I never really thought about it, and that's totally why it looks so much better than a Telltale game.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
That makes me wonder if the budget is higher than than most Tell Tale games. They do a lot of set reuse, but there seems to be a lot more branching. If you rewind to try something else, it has to make sense, unlike TT where you'd have to replay the entire chapter to see what happens if Clementine acts like an rear end to Kenny or something. Also think of the diner sequence and all the dialogue if you poke around and exhaust the dialogue trees - this is a huge game.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

VagueRant posted:

Also came across this video of the mo-cap for the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zHOE27v8pw
I think it always registered in my mind that the game was mo-capped but I never really thought about it, and that's totally why it looks so much better than a Telltale game.

That was the main reason I decided to play that game in the first place. Telltale games look awful for the most part, especially animation. Mocap is actually quite expensive, so I don't know how dontnod could afford it, considering Remember Me wasn't a huge success.

\/\/\/ Doesn't explain why Square gave them so much money. I suspect dontnod have their own mocap studio somehow.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 11, 2015

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
They've got Square as a publisher.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Paladinus posted:

That was the main reason I decided to play that game in the first place. Telltale games look awful for the most part, especially animation. MoCap is actually quite expensive, so I don't know how dontnod could afford it, considering Remember Me wasn't a huge success.

Mocap is not that expensive though. Unless you are going like Full EA/2k have like 50 different camera's and doing full facial mapping.

Hell a Kinect Camera does a basic level of mocapping with no markers to work off of.

also Mocapping means you have to do less hand animating which means paying animators for less time. While the actual mocapping could theoretically be done by like 2 of the developer's daughters(They probably paid actual people for it though).

Dexo fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Aug 11, 2015

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Paladinus posted:

That was the main reason I decided to play that game in the first place. Telltale games look awful for the most part, especially animation. Mocap is actually quite expensive, so I don't know how dontnod could afford it, considering Remember Me wasn't a huge success.

\/\/\/ Doesn't explain why Square gave them so much money. I suspect dontnod have their own mocap studio somehow.

They are not mapping faces (painfully obvious, as their mouths are notoriously bad) so what they are doing is probably quite cheap.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Also even though the painted-looking textures are gorgeous in their own right and absolutely the right look for this game, I imagine that they're also cheaper to make than a more high fidelity look would have been, especially because less important items (various posters, small photos that aren't plot significant, etc.) can just be super sketchy looking.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

Did they fix the scratches in Nathan's dorm being undetectable if you rewind touching his PC?

Pretty sure that's not a glitch, going on his computer gives light to see the scratches

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Has anyone made this joke yet because boy howdy do I want to be in on the ground loving floor

Torgo2727
Oct 24, 2004
Taking Care of the Place While the Master Is Away
Sorry, dude. :(

Paladinus posted:

And, of course, lol at binders full of women

Chaltab posted:

the binders full of women Nathan and Jefferson raped.

Torgo2727 fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 12, 2015

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
Aw, man.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
It's ok dude, a good joke is worth a second look.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Paladinus posted:

Remember Me wasn't really DontNod's fault. Capcom dicked them over for years with that game, and I'd love to see them try to release a rebuilt version from the ground up or a sequel.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Remember Me wasn't really DontNod's fault. Capcom dicked them over for years with that game, and I'd love to see them try to release a rebuilt version from the ground up or a sequel.
I think EA was the one that dicked them around for years, Capcom just swooped in and helped them finish the game.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

You did good, that's the first I'm hearing about Bindergate; guess I missed that Daily Show (which won't be a problem anymore :()

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Dumb question incoming:
why are the characters 18/19 in this game? I thought in the US high school ended at the same age group as in the UK (17/18), unless this is a special case because of it being a boarding school or something?
Maybe every major character got held back a year.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

sout posted:

Dumb question incoming:
why are the characters 18/19 in this game? I thought in the US high school ended at the same age group as in the UK (17/18), unless this is a special case because of it being a boarding school or something?
Maybe every major character got held back a year.

Its a weird college prep school that kind of doesn't exist in the US (Or at the very least, does not exist in the region I live in; New England) I think its supposed to be like some weird college prep school, or Junior college, but with a principle and lockers, like its a weird American high school.

Its one of the weird things with the game, at least in my eyes. I'm assuming stuff like Blackwell exists in France.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Its a weird college prep school that kind of doesn't exist in the US (Or at the very least, does not exist in the region I live in; New England) I think its supposed to be like some weird college prep school, or Junior college, but with a principle and lockers, like its a weird American high school.

Its one of the weird things with the game, at least in my eyes. I'm assuming stuff like Blackwell exists in France.

I kind of assumed it was a private boarding school focused on the arts. You certainly have those in New England.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

It's definitely a private boarding school that is only for seniors.

As for the age difference, some states have different starting ages for schools, so you can end up with situations where people graduate younger / older than you think they should.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Karnegal posted:

I kind of assumed it was a private boarding school focused on the arts. You certainly have those in New England.

Yeah, for high school kids, aged 14-18. Everyone in this game is 18/19.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

It's definitely something that I thought would have made more sense if it was college and they were all freshmen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

College prep or finishing schools exist in the United States, albeit in very small numbers.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
It fits for the setting. A strange school in a strange town. LIFE IS STRANGE, GUYS!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

exquisite tea posted:

albeit in very small numbers.
So that's why everyone in Blackwell is so stuck up.

While waiting for the final episode I might finally get though Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble. It's a similar experience only without the time travel or mocap. But you do get to equip boys on all your party members and use them as meat shields in case you fail at a verbal catfight.

shitty poker hand
Jun 13, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

College prep or finishing schools exist in the United States, albeit in very small numbers.

It could just be a failure to research on the part of the writers, but I know that some parts of North America (or maybe it's just Quebec?) have a similar program which is pretty much mandatory.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Ok. maybe I misinterpreted it but I thought it was just that Max got into a Senior program at Blackwell. The school itself is just a fancy private school. Private schools are weird.

Also everyone who is 19+ is out of high school. Chloe assumedly graduated from so public school that's never mentioned or dropped out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Chloe attended Blackwell the year before Max and was expelled.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

you can even find her file when you break into the principle's ridiculously fancy office

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Hannah Telle (Max's voice actor-...actress?) is teasing people.
https://instagram.com/p/6TOxpToKIq/
Considering THEY're only just recording lines, it makes me think we are a looong way off.

And on a voice acting note, I have no idea where this Chloe line is in the game:
https://a.tumblr.com/tumblr_nsv3w4G4v61tyzqqno1.mp3?play_key=e6ba8f023e92bbb5aaf06052cd0c6551&tumblelog=konkenorve&post_id=126330519624

Lastly, Life is Strange is the #1 video game fandom on Tumblr right now because we exist in a world where that's a headline now.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvbtcCpWf-w

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I found this in my Steam library the other day and thought I'd hit up the thread for some motivation to play it. I like the modern, dialogue and choice driven adventure game setup, particularly the Telltale stuff (although that's somewhat hit or miss) and people have been saying this is the game to try for people who enjoyed those games. It might reflect poorly on me but the whole twee teenager thing is sort of offputting, so knowing little else about the game outside of a few glimpses it's been hard to work up the urge to try it out on my own. Not that I think it's a bad genre or anything, just not my usual cup of tea.

Was anyone else skeptical going in about the style and setting and was won over, or is this more of a love it/hate it thing?

Edit - I did start playing it as far as the very first action, where you have to take a selfie of yourself, and I sat listening to the lecture until the teacher's dialogue started looping because the idea of taking a picture of yourself in the middle of a silent classroom is just too eye-rolling. Reading everything in the journal first.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Aug 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dolash posted:

I found this in my Steam library the other day and thought I'd hit up the thread for some motivation to play it. I like the modern, dialogue and choice driven adventure game setup, particularly the Telltale stuff (although that's somewhat hit or miss) and people have been saying this is the game to try for people who enjoyed those games. It might reflect poorly on me but the whole twee teenager thing is sort of offputting, so knowing little else about the game outside of a few glimpses it's been hard to work up the urge to try it out on my own. Not that I think it's a bad genre or anything, just not my usual cup of tea.

Was anyone else skeptical going in about the style and setting and was won over, or is this more of a love it/hate it thing?

Edit - I did start playing it as far as the very first action, where you have to take a selfie of yourself, and I sat listening to the lecture until the teacher's dialogue started looping because the idea of taking a picture of yourself in the middle of a silent classroom is just too eye-rolling.

Get over yourself and enjoy what is easily one of the best games of the year.

• Locked thread