Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow
Okay I lost a game where I was on my sixth Captain, finally had a will and a scion, was finally making progress with multiple storylines. It got corrupted and absolutely would not load.

So I read how to edit the save files. It's not too difficult, and it's not an instant win, either. There's a lot of stuff you can't change, and even more that's like 'Yeah you can probably change it but it'll ruin the drat game. Go ahead and delete random poo poo in your computer registry while you're at it."

It's made things a lot less frustrating and slightly more fun (game is already incredibly fun). Of course, I also haven't gone all-out and given myself a billion echoes and 500 of everything that doesn't take up a hold space.

I would like to figure out how to make my hold bigger, or my speed faster, but both of those are impatience-based, so I'm not in the biggest hurry to do them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Glaucus atlanticus posted:

I finally got the game over the weekend and I love seeing the art for the various places/people that have been mentioned in Fallen London and exploring them in greater depth. The slow pace and the menaces get to be more tedious than atmospheric after like the fifth death, though, even with manual saves on. What I wouldn't give for a Filthy Casual mode...

Casual mode is playing without perma-death.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

MY PALE GOTH SKIN posted:

Okay I lost a game where I was on my sixth Captain, finally had a will and a scion, was finally making progress with multiple storylines. It got corrupted and absolutely would not load.

So I read how to edit the save files. It's not too difficult, and it's not an instant win, either. There's a lot of stuff you can't change, and even more that's like 'Yeah you can probably change it but it'll ruin the drat game. Go ahead and delete random poo poo in your computer registry while you're at it."

It's made things a lot less frustrating and slightly more fun (game is already incredibly fun). Of course, I also haven't gone all-out and given myself a billion echoes and 500 of everything that doesn't take up a hold space.

I would like to figure out how to make my hold bigger, or my speed faster, but both of those are impatience-based, so I'm not in the biggest hurry to do them.

Speed is easy, go to constants/navigationconstants and change BaseShipSpeed from 8 to whatever. I have it set to 12 and it's pretty decent, I also lowered SAY time to 45 instead of 60.

For hold size, go to entities/qualities and search for level":40 (no spaces) . I poked around a bit a while ago and my notes say this is unique to ship's holds, you can double check if you want to be sure but there should only be as many entries as there are ships. Take a backup if you really want. Change the 40 to whatever number you want.

e: I also lowered fuel and supply costs in London in my game, although I haven't played in ages. I found it made things a lot more fun without ruining the feel of needing to return to your one safe port to restock.

Gitro fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Aug 4, 2015

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Gitro posted:

Speed is easy, go to constants/navigationconstants and change BaseShipSpeed from 8 to whatever. I have it set to 12 and it's pretty decent, I also lowered SAY time to 45 instead of 60.

For hold size, go to entities/qualities and search for level":40 (no spaces) . I poked around a bit a while ago and my notes say this is unique to ship's holds, you can double check if you want to be sure but there should only be as many entries as there are ships. Take a backup if you really want. Change the 40 to whatever number you want.

e: I also lowered fuel and supply costs in London in my game, although I haven't played in ages. I found it made things a lot more fun without ruining the feel of needing to return to your one safe port to restock.

Do you mind explaining how to mod prices? Would love to change some things in my game.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Cantorsdust posted:

Do you mind explaining how to mod prices? Would love to change some things in my game.

I'll copy the lines I kept in my notes since it's been ages since I did it. Prices are listed under entities/exchanges. It's easier if you open it with a Json editor, but you can do it just with a text file. It's a loving mess, though.

So for supplies and fuel sold in London, they use "Id":102026} and Id":102027, respectively, with a cost of 20 and 10 and a sellprice of 5 and 2. If you ctrl+f those exact IDs they'll bring you to the relevant entries. Obviously if you mod supply cost to be less than 20 you can make easy money running supplies to that monastery place (i haven't played in a while) but that would be incredibly tedious and barely profitable.

Items are organised by location they're sold at, so while those IDs are used for every instance of fuel and supplies they have a separate cost/sell value for each different location. The first you'll come across are the ones in London.

There's a lot of junk data in all the files because I think they just wholesale copy/pasted code from Fallen London, so even with a proper editor there's a lot of lines you just scroll past. It's annoying. In a proper editor you'll be able to see the proper organisation of items, I think they have their names in there but even if they don't or you're having trouble seeing it you can identify them by price.

Probably the easiest way to find a buyable/sellable item and mod the price is by searching for "Cost":x or Sellprice":x if it's fairly unique. I don't know how this interacts with items that are bought/sold for things that aren't echoes, I imagine you'll have to poke around in their code to identify the items they're giving you.

It's dead easy to mod the costs once you actually find what you're looking for, though. That's true of modding this game in general - it's a massive pain to track down where the values are stored, but once you find it it's really easy to change. Quest rewards are stored under either qualities or events, I gave up trying to change things when trying to increase the value of port reports would have meant crossreferencing the location IDs in one file to the report IDs in another, then I think a third step where I used the port IDs in a different file to find their actual turn-in reward and change the value.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
So I'm quite far on now, I've got the second to last boat. I haven't cheated for it either!

However I've accidentally raised Supremecy: The Dawn Machine to the top level. I'm also too sun-loving now to be able to visit the surface without opening my mirrorcatch boxes and burning myself to death.

Without the Admiral and Mirrorcatch boxes does anyone know a reasonably reliable way to make money? I'm not talking to build up a TON just as a regular form of income so I can actually continue to play.
I've been getting Vital Intelligence from my spies in the Khanate but it's a long way to keep going and it's not 100% guaranteed.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Red honey is a profitable sideline if you've got the skills or the connections to sneak it past the authorities.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Tehan posted:

Red honey is a profitable sideline if you've got the skills or the connections to sneak it past the authorities.

I do but it costs 600 and only earns 999 (if sold at the brass embassy)
Is there anywhere else it's worth it? Especially since you can only buy one!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

The best trading run I know is to buy wine at London, sell wine at Adam's Way for 3 echoes profit per. Buy coffee at Adams Way and sell it 1 for 1 for Parabolic Linen at Irem. Then sell the linen in London for 22 echoes profit per. If you pick up port reports and maybe a red honey on the way it can be pretty profitable.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cantorsdust posted:

The best trading run I know is to buy wine at London, sell wine at Adam's Way for 3 echoes profit per. Buy coffee at Adams Way and sell it 1 for 1 for Parabolic Linen at Irem. Then sell the linen in London for 22 echoes profit per. If you pick up port reports and maybe a red honey on the way it can be pretty profitable.

That's a lot of work for barely anything. I already have 8k echoes and the second biggest ship, I just want a standard income. I haven't got the Admiral any longer so I can't turn in port reports.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Taear posted:

That's a lot of work for barely anything. I already have 8k echoes and the second biggest ship, I just want a standard income. I haven't got the Admiral any longer so I can't turn in port reports.

Killing a lorn fluke and passing a pages? check should get you a core and 3 secrets. You can sell the core in the college in London for 1,000 echoes.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Cantorsdust posted:

Killing a lorn fluke and passing a pages? check should get you a core and 3 secrets. You can sell the core in the college in London for 1,000 echoes.

You can (although I'm yet to pass the pages test and get the Secrets) but that isn't really reliable, you can't say where they'll be.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Is there a set of instructions somewhere on extracting all of the text strings used for interactions? I basically just want to read them straight up at this point.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

tirinal posted:

Is there a set of instructions somewhere on extracting all of the text strings used for interactions? I basically just want to read them straight up at this point.

A fairly good text-and-pictures Let's Play of Sunless Sea has just finished on these very forums.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

What is the nature of a soul in sunless sea? What would happen if my captain sold hers?

A seperate issue, where would I go to find profitable mid-game trade routes? found the trade routes link in the op, never mind.

double nine fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Aug 8, 2015

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

Sure, but I'm trying to literally read every interaction in the game. I want a giant textdump.

quote:

What is the nature of a soul in sunless sea? What would happen if my captain sold hers?

Not much. A soul isn't all it's cracked up to be.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Gitro posted:

Did you do this in your game save or in the game files themselves? So far I've only dicked with the saves, after backing them up. I figured out how to increase my hold (immediately after buying ship, I may have had to remove a cap or a scale:60) and finally getting The Fulgent Impeller (totally worth the hassle) I don't really feel the need for more speed. I do want to decrease the SAY time frame, I'm tired of doing donuts in front of ports.

Taear posted:

You can (although I'm yet to pass the pages test and get the Secrets) but that isn't really reliable, you can't say where they'll be.

1-2 will always spawn near the Gant Pole/Chelonate. I believe the spawn points do not change for duration of the use of a chart, although exiting/loading does have an effect on when and if things spawn. They're not at all hard to kill once you get the Memento Mori, and if you have an Icarus in Black and Doomed Monster Hunters, they're probably incredibly easy.

Have you exhausted The Salt Lions/sphinxstone trading story? Is Polythreme in a spot you frequently go near on this chart? If it is, Clay Men to London might be a good subsidy. You can also sell casks of wine to the Godfall monks for +9 Echoes each, and Godfall is usually pretty close to Polythreme.

For main trading routes, I think the Coffee/Linen one is the most profitable. It goes Port Carnelian/Adam's Way>Irem>London, repeat. You purchase as much coffee as possible, given your fuel/supply needs, at Port Carnelian/Adam's Way, then swing along the Southern portion of the map, then head east, all the way to Irem. Turn coffee into Parabolan Linen. Head to London by whatever route you choose. Sell Parabolan Linen for a 22 Echo profit per single bale.

If you pick up as many Port Reports as you can, those are another good way to subsidize. Station III has the highest price for a report at 100 Echoes, and Khan's Heart is second at 75, but then quite a lot of ports pay out 50 Echoes, and most of them are on this route. Uttershroom, Savior's Rocks, Empire of Hands, The Chelonate, Aestival, and Mangrove college all pay 50. Visage, Polythreme, and Mt. Palmerston all pay out 40. Depending on your chart layout, you could hit all of them save Station III easily, or with only mild annoyance. Plus, most of the port reports from Irem to London are worth 20-30 Echoes each, depends on your chart and the route you take. Khan's Shadow, Port Cecil, Nuncio, Godfall, Gaider's Mourn, and Frostfall are 30e each, Hunter's Keep, Salt Lions, Whither, Irem, Codex, Chapel of Lights, and Abbey Rock are all 20e.

Obviously it would waste a lot of fuel to get all of those, but just hitting Port Carnelian, Adam's Way, The Uttershroom, Savior's Rocks, The Chelonate, Empire of Hands, and Irem is 310e. Cutting over to Visage or Polythreme if they're not too far out of the way is another 40, and hitting Mt. Palmerston after Irem is another 40. If you only hit Frostfall and the Salt Lions (for another load, ideally) on the way back to London, that's an additional 50, for a total of 400 in port reports alone, plus eleven points of fuel. More likely twelve-fourteen points of fuel, since there's bound to be at least a couple of ports worth stopping into on the way from London to Port Carnelian. This is not counting the profit from selling the Parabola Linen bales.

There's also, you know, the actual quests that are profitable, like the Last Curator and his Neathbow deathbed wish, the Last Tour is simple and profitable if you've got most of the map uncovered, and playing chess at Port Cecil. And those are just the ones I know about personally.

Orrrr you could edit your save file and give yourself enough echoes that you don't have to worry about money as much.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

tirinal posted:

Sure, but I'm trying to literally read every interaction in the game. I want a giant textdump.

I think the closest thing is the Sunless Sea wiki. That's how I magically remembered the payout for every port (http://sunlesssea.gamepedia.com/Port_Report) For there to be a dump, someone would have to go through and edit a lot out..

Speaking of, does anyone know of a good Json viewer/editor that automatically sorts things? I downloaded one, but it presented the entire 1+ MB as a very, very long line. It had options for formatting, but I had no idea which was which, and testing different formats takes forever, I suppose due to the size of the file. I managed to test two in about 14 minute, with the program temporarily freezing for a few minutes each time.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

I think the closest thing is the Sunless Sea wiki. That's how I magically remembered the payout for every port (http://sunlesssea.gamepedia.com/Port_Report) For there to be a dump, someone would have to go through and edit a lot out..

Speaking of, does anyone know of a good Json viewer/editor that automatically sorts things? I downloaded one, but it presented the entire 1+ MB as a very, very long line. It had options for formatting, but I had no idea which was which, and testing different formats takes forever, I suppose due to the size of the file. I managed to test two in about 14 minute, with the program temporarily freezing for a few minutes each time.

I've been using http://www.jsoneditoronline.org/ which has worked out just fine for me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Have you exhausted The Salt Lions/sphinxstone trading story? Is Polythreme in a spot you frequently go near on this chart? If it is, Clay Men to London might be a good subsidy. You can also sell casks of wine to the Godfall monks for +9 Echoes each, and Godfall is usually pretty close to Polythreme.

For main trading routes, I think the Coffee/Linen one is the most profitable. It goes Port Carnelian/Adam's Way>Irem>London, repeat. You purchase as much coffee as possible, given your fuel/supply needs, at Port Carnelian/Adam's Way, then swing along the Southern portion of the map, then head east, all the way to Irem. Turn coffee into Parabolan Linen. Head to London by whatever route you choose. Sell Parabolan Linen for a 22 Echo profit per single bale.

If you pick up as many Port Reports as you can, those are another good way to subsidize. Station III has the highest price for a report at 100 Echoes, and Khan's Heart is second at 75, but then quite a lot of ports pay out 50 Echoes, and most of them are on this route. Uttershroom, Savior's Rocks, Empire of Hands, The Chelonate, Aestival, and Mangrove college all pay 50. Visage, Polythreme, and Mt. Palmerston all pay out 40. Depending on your chart layout, you could hit all of them save Station III easily, or with only mild annoyance. Plus, most of the port reports from Irem to London are worth 20-30 Echoes each, depends on your chart and the route you take. Khan's Shadow, Port Cecil, Nuncio, Godfall, Gaider's Mourn, and Frostfall are 30e each, Hunter's Keep, Salt Lions, Whither, Irem, Codex, Chapel of Lights, and Abbey Rock are all 20e.

Obviously it would waste a lot of fuel to get all of those, but just hitting Port Carnelian, Adam's Way, The Uttershroom, Savior's Rocks, The Chelonate, Empire of Hands, and Irem is 310e. Cutting over to Visage or Polythreme if they're not too far out of the way is another 40, and hitting Mt. Palmerston after Irem is another 40. If you only hit Frostfall and the Salt Lions (for another load, ideally) on the way back to London, that's an additional 50, for a total of 400 in port reports alone, plus eleven points of fuel. More likely twelve-fourteen points of fuel, since there's bound to be at least a couple of ports worth stopping into on the way from London to Port Carnelian. This is not counting the profit from selling the Parabola Linen bales.

There's also, you know, the actual quests that are profitable, like the Last Curator and his Neathbow deathbed wish, the Last Tour is simple and profitable if you've got most of the map uncovered, and playing chess at Port Cecil. And those are just the ones I know about personally.

I've done all those quests. I can't do port reports like I already said because I've raised the Dawn Machine supremecy too high.

Irem is as far away as possible from the south (north east side of the map) and I don't think that'd make me any money any longer unfortunately. When I had port reports to hand in it was fine but no longer.

I think I'm just going to have to hunt Flukes and hope. Maybe if the eater of names respawns I'll get some more money.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Alternative: write your will, stash your treasures, sell your ship, and choose the legacy option that lets you keep half of your past money and just try again with a new run. Trying to make it without port reports is going to be fiendishly difficult without the base income and fuel they provide.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Are people keeping on them to make this almost-good game more playable and less like work?

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Taear posted:

I've done all those quests. I can't do port reports like I already said because I've raised the Dawn Machine supremecy too high.

Irem is as far away as possible from the south (north east side of the map) and I don't think that'd make me any money any longer unfortunately. When I had port reports to hand in it was fine but no longer.

I think I'm just going to have to hunt Flukes and hope. Maybe if the eater of names respawns I'll get some more money.

Well, crap. I confirmed that exiting/reloading changes spawn points, since I just leave my game paused pretty often, i couldn't remember if the changes were between captains, maps, or saving/reloading. I'd honestly suggest heading to somewhere near The Chelonate but at least a couple tiles away, and save/exit/re-opening until you get at least one Fluke and the Eater of Names. Going a few tiles away, hitting a port, and coming back has caused them to respawn for me.

ALSO, they seem to only spawn when you come from certain directions, so you may have to burn some fuel and supplies finding that direction. Once you have it figured out, don't exit. Just CTRL ALT DELETE out, and then click back on it when you're ready to hunt again. I've had the Eater of Names respawn about 90% of the time the Flukes respawn, too. And they've appeared to the west of the Chelonate, still in the Gant Pole area, every time.

You probably have the Milebreaker and the Fulgent Impeller, but if you don't, both of those help with fuel costs.

Or retire and start over, because that doesn't sound a hell of a lot of fun, honestly.

FRINGE posted:

Are people keeping on them to make this almost-good game more playable and less like work?

Probably but they're not going to, they want it to be like work. They're cool with you getting cursed for following directions in a quest, and you losing about half of your total officers you can have. And not explaining what the hell aminescence is.

I just hope they keep adding onto the game, new stuff would be amazing. I haven't done everything, and some of it's replayable, but it's not as replayable as I like my games.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
The devs actually hate you trying to make money and sabotage the various ways in each update.
Time to play Space Rangers HD instead.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Theyre just hurting themselves. Everyone I tell about the gameplay (in an honest way) decides they would rather do something else. Even the ones that play FL.

With FL they get away with terrible decisions because its free to start playing. If they want to sell games they better get the idea that "games are not chores".

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does the London / Empire of Hands / Irem loop still work?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It's not really difficult to make money at all, except for that first few hundred echoes at the beginning when you don't have enough of the map uncovered to make a profit off port reports alone and don't have any heirlooms from a previous captain to sell. I'm fine with there not being infinitely repeatable ways of getting massive amounts of cash, because honestly, it's a distraction. Quests are more fun and often more profitable too. Sphinxstone is great and all, but Vital Intelligence is more profitable, easy to get in a single trip if you can pass the right stat checks, sends you on longer journeys all over the map so you can grab port reports and you're more likely to run into a quest you can progress for even more stuff, and doesn't tie up your hold so you can grab something profitable or haul a quest/trade good around on the way.

If you can't do port reports, there aren't any quests left to progress, and all the repeatable money sources have hit their limit...then make a bunch of heirlooms, retire, and start a new captain where all that stuff is reset. If it feels like work, maybe it's because people keep insisting on trying to turn the game into a boring repetitive grind, no matter how much the devs try to discourage that. Rather than trying to find a short back-and-forth route you can infinitely repeat over and over and then complaining about how boring the game is, then when it gets locked out complaining about how difficult it is, why not look at all the tremendous amount of stuff the game gives you to do and line up a long expedition to do all a bunch of those things? I make loads more money doing long expeditions and progressing quests than I ever did on those boring sphinxstone runs.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

It's not really difficult to make money at all, except for that first few hundred echoes at the beginning when you don't have enough of the map uncovered to make a profit off port reports alone and don't have any heirlooms from a previous captain to sell. I'm fine with there not being infinitely repeatable ways of getting massive amounts of cash, because honestly, it's a distraction. Quests are more fun and often more profitable too. Sphinxstone is great and all, but Vital Intelligence is more profitable, easy to get in a single trip if you can pass the right stat checks, sends you on longer journeys all over the map so you can grab port reports and you're more likely to run into a quest you can progress for even more stuff, and doesn't tie up your hold so you can grab something profitable or haul a quest/trade good around on the way.

If you can't do port reports, there aren't any quests left to progress, and all the repeatable money sources have hit their limit...then make a bunch of heirlooms, retire, and start a new captain where all that stuff is reset. If it feels like work, maybe it's because people keep insisting on trying to turn the game into a boring repetitive grind, no matter how much the devs try to discourage that. Rather than trying to find a short back-and-forth route you can infinitely repeat over and over and then complaining about how boring the game is, then when it gets locked out complaining about how difficult it is, why not look at all the tremendous amount of stuff the game gives you to do and line up a long expedition to do all a bunch of those things? I make loads more money doing long expeditions and progressing quests than I ever did on those boring sphinxstone runs.

This is very true; trading is not very profitable in Sunless Sea. Exploring and completing quests is. Its more Fallout/Elder Scrolls than Space Rangers/Elite.

With that said, the pace is still exceptionally slow, even just in terms of how quickly your boat moves across the sea. This is an intentional design choice, and to an extent I can appreciate how this contributes to the atmosphere of the game. But I'm a working professional now, and with my time leisure time much more constricted than when I was a student, this can be disappointing. And I don't know how much appeal the game would have to those with the most amount of free time-i.e.; teenagers.

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Did you do this in your game save or in the game files themselves? So far I've only dicked with the saves, after backing them up. I figured out how to increase my hold (immediately after buying ship, I may have had to remove a cap or a scale:60) and finally getting The Fulgent Impeller (totally worth the hassle) I don't really feel the need for more speed. I do want to decrease the SAY time frame, I'm tired of doing donuts in front of ports.

Files themselves.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

Gitro posted:

Files themselves.

Thank you. I got impatient and was doing both, and, well, that was kind of a pain in the rear end.

Altering the game is a hell of a lot more fun than altering the save. Also makes going into the save and adding something seem really, really uncomplicated when before it made me a little crazy.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Sonofa ... So I just finished the First Curator's quest - and if I want to I can get a boat - just after I forked down the money for a Maenad Frigate. That teaches me for not using the wiki, I suppose ... :(

Edit: through a series of stupidly good luck I've gotten my hands on 25 supplies - are there any particular storylines that require a lot of supplies? I thought the mangrove university required that and a lot of candles but I've already done that one twice. Any others?

double nine fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 12, 2015

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
The Last Tour replaces 12 supplies with 12 tomb colonists you get to take on wacky adventures.

An Element of Dawn needs 50 supplies, among many other expensive things.

The Chapel of Lights also has a number of stages that require supplies, if you're brave enough...

Otherwise just hang on to them, back up fuel is always nice.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

FRINGE posted:

Totally agree with you. First thing I did with this game when it came out was mod the hell out of move speed, terror & fuel consumption - it's basically just editing readable text files .

And now, it is much easier, survives updates, and official:

https://twitter.com/EchoBazaar/status/631852933055913984

There's still no line breaks in the JSON files mind you, but as complaints go, that's pretty minor!

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Fuel was what was killing my enjoyment, in that I couldn't ever seem to have enough fuel with me to survive a trip to adventures and then also make it back. Since very, very few ports have fuel, it was always a huge gamble that I would have enough to hit my destination and be able to find some replenishment there.

Just tweaking it and terror and notching up move speed a bit really improved the experience. I still find the combat a bit aggravating but learning to kill the lights and drift on by is pretty atmospheric I will say

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

I would like to actually win the game. It feels like I've wasted my time if I don't. That just means I need some money to afford fuel and etc.

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Taear posted:

I would like to actually win the game. It feels like I've wasted my time if I don't. That just means I need some money to afford fuel and etc.

Which victory condition are you going for that 8k in the bank isn't enough to ensure it?

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012

Taear posted:

So I'm quite far on now, I've got the second to last boat. I haven't cheated for it either!

However I've accidentally raised Supremecy: The Dawn Machine to the top level. I'm also too sun-loving now to be able to visit the surface without opening my mirrorcatch boxes and burning myself to death.

Without the Admiral and Mirrorcatch boxes does anyone know a reasonably reliable way to make money? I'm not talking to build up a TON just as a regular form of income so I can actually continue to play.

You can fill Mirrorcatch boxes at Aestival as well, although it can give you Wounds and the Dawn Machine Supremacy might mess that up, too. I thought that it was Menaces: Yearning, Burning that was the problem, though. You can reduce that by resting at your lodgings, though it's only cost effective with the cheapest ones. You also get 200-ish echoes worth of supplies at Aestival from spending Something Awaits You and maybe a crew-member to gather them. Visage is another great use of SAY: go to the temple, collect blood twice and make notes once your Expertise in Parts is too high to collect blood. That'll give you 250 echoes worth of stuff, though it may be a pain to sell if you can't use the Alarming Scholar.

If you've finished the Empire of Hands storyline, you're locked out of the best freely repeatable trade route that's only limited by hold space (wine from London for coffee there and then back to London). I think that you can buy supplies from the surface without falling prey to Yearning, Burning, but it's a lot of clicking through screens and only a profit of 15 echoes apiece, so probably not worth it without the merchant ship's huge hold space to overcome the fixed fuel cost of getting there.

Clay men from Polythreme to London is 120 echoes a trip, or you can use them at Hunter's Keep to get Serpent Traps which you can then use to fill your Mirrorcatch boxes with very angry dream snakes by speaking with the Tireless Mechanic and letting him enjoy his sleep. The total cost is five supplies, one Foxfire Candle, one Man, one empty box and possibly a crew-member (390 echoes to buy, plus the 20 you could have gotten by selling the Man). The full boxes sell at Khan's Shadow for 500 echoes apiece.

Finally, you can visit the Grotesquery at the exhibition in Adam's Way for fifty fragments, a Tale of Terror and a Memory of Distant Shores. If you have both Recent News and the Mt Palmerston port report, you can do this a whopping 8 times per visit and rack up secrets in a hurry.

I like to combine a number of these in a big loop that goes something like London->Palmerston->Empire->Aestival->Visage->Adam's Way->Port Carnelian->London, with a few others mixed in along the way (Mangrove College for passengers and the Memories + fragments->secrets trade, for instance) and the order sometimes changed depending on the map. Port Carnelian is there mainly for the cheap terror reduction, although you can get some money out of an intelligence network there, too. I'd buy the Avid Suppressor in London to make this less tedious. It lets you go full power all the time, which makes the game much more fun and more-or-less makes up in saved supplies what it costs in increased fuel inefficiency.

HundredBears fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Aug 18, 2015

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Black Wombat posted:

Which victory condition are you going for that 8k in the bank isn't enough to ensure it?

The horrible Zong of the Zee one.

And HundredBears, I can't do Aestival any longer because I've got my Yearning. Burning too high and it doesn't drop fast enough. The Serpent's Trap idea is great though, that one I hadn't even thought of!

Black Wombat
Nov 25, 2007

Every puzzle
has an answer.

Taear posted:

The horrible Zong of the Zee one.

Oh, yeah, that one is rough. I imagine you're basically on the 'Collect dozens and dozens of Secrets' part?

You might, if you're almost there already and lucky, be able to pull it off by hunting Flukes. And HundredBear's idea of grinding Secrets at Adam's Way is also good. Then it's mostly a matter of getting Hunting Trophies to turn into the other kinds of stories, and you're almost there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
If you have high stats you can also fill your cargo with candles and grind the whispways. You can get a lot of money and also secrets I think. Just be ready to loose some crew.

• Locked thread