Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i think only donald trump could propose a straight up wealth tax and not get run out of dc, mostly because everyone has tried already and hes beaten them back. kinda a only nixon could go to china thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
$15 dollar minimum wage is going loving rock for a year for poor people running a career flipping burgers but its going to gently caress the entire economy. Every things price will double and $15 dollars will end up being nothing and we will have to raise it to $30 bucks.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Source your quotes please.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

how about we get rid of the minimum wage all together, has anyone tried suggesting that yet

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Wheeee posted:

Source your quotes please.

Lets play monopoly, when you pass go you get $400 dollars.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

$15 dollar minimum wage is going loving rock for a year for poor people running a career flipping burgers but its going to gently caress the entire economy. Every things price will double and $15 dollars will end up being nothing and we will have to raise it to $30 bucks.

lol

Okay fine, I'll bite. In a scenario in which the only cost of running a business is the wages you pay to your workers, and all of your workers are minimum wage workers, then I suppose yes, a $15 minimum wage would double the cost of doing business and double the prices of everything.

That is not, at all, how the costs and prices actually work.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Harrow posted:

That is not, at all, how the costs and prices actually work.

How do they work?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

okay, how about we reward hard work with higher pay instead?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

How do they work?

You are asking me for an economics course to disprove an outlandish claim you made.

Here is a study by the University of California, Berkeley, that claims that if you forced Wal-Mart to pay its employees $12/hour, it would result in a price increase of 1.1%. Obviously that's not $15/hour, and not every company is Wal-Mart. But to claim that increasing the minimum wage to $15/hour would literally double the prices of everything is completely absurd.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Otacon posted:

how about we get rid of the minimum wage all together, has anyone tried suggesting that yet

One of the nastier presidential Republican candidates suggested it in favor of letting the free market decide or something. It was a pretty monumentally stupid remark to make.

Those people who joke about eating the rich/guillotining the rich will probably get their wish if that actually happens.

Archonex has issued a correction as of 00:05 on Aug 13, 2015

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Harrow posted:

You are asking me for an economics course to disprove an outlandish claim you made.

Here is a study by the University of California, Berkeley, that claims that if you forced Wal-Mart to pay its employees $12/hour, it would result in a price increase of 1.1%. Obviously that's not $15/hour, and not every company is Wal-Mart. But to claim that increasing the minimum wage to $15/hour would literally double the prices of everything is completely absurd.

$15 MW will have a significant impact on hours and benefits and yes prices as well

GottaPayDaTrollToll
Dec 3, 2009

by Lowtax

Immortan posted:

$15 MW will have a significant impact on hours and benefits and yes prices as well

Could you show us some hard numbers on this?

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
i support a minimum wage of 5 trump coins a week. each trump coin is just a chocolate coin but with trump's face and poo poo instead of chocolate.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Harrow posted:

Since you failed to show me how price stuff works, I will read a random document on the internet and go with it.

STEP 1: CALCULATE YOUR HOURLY OVERHEAD COSTS
Bob makes hamburgers, he is my only employee and he makes 95% of his hamburgers correctly. I should really pay him more then 15 dollars for this full time burger job but.
Let’s say that the milliner has 4 weeks off (for holidays, illness and slack time), and that she works 40hours per week, so the total hours/year making work would be: 48 weeks x 40hours x 95% = 1824h/year.

STEP 2: CALCULATE YOUR HOURLY WAGE
So a complete years pay would be $27,360 for making burgers full time. That's pretty lovely.

STEP 3: CALCULATE YOUR TOTAL HOURLY RATE
This is your hourly overhead costs + hourly wage, i have no idea what this means. I'm rich i have no overhead costs because i want to manage a burger shop by myself for fun.
so $15.

STEP4: HOW LONG WILL IT TAKE YOU TO PRODUCE ONE PRODUCT?
lets keep it simple, I make bob always make burgers so he makes 60 burgers every hour. Everyone wants to buy 1 burger.
total time spend to get 1 burger ready is hours x hourly rate, so 0.0166 x $15 = $0.25

STEP 5: CALCULATE THE TOTAL MATERIAL COSTS
Each burger costs me $0.15 cents.

STEP 6: ADD CONTINGENCY
Contingency will allow for mistakes, hidden extra etc, and will allow you to offer discounts or special offers. This will add 10%

STEP 7: CALCULATE YOUR TOTAL COST PRICE
So ($0.25 + $0.15) * .10 = $0.55 per burger

Bob makes me $60,192 a year if I pay him $27,360 a year in employment costs.

Now lets pay him a fair wage of $7.50
Burgers are now $0.30 and he makes me $32832 a year while costing $13,680 in employment costs.

I'm no expert but by paying him double, makes him get double the money. And if he had all this money whats stopping him from buying alot of my burgers, I will have to raise my prices because of demand?

source
http://www.thedesigntrust.co.uk/calculate-how-much-your-product-will-cost/

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

GottaPayDaTrollToll posted:

Could you show us some hard numbers on this?

I refuse to pay the troll toll.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
none of these loser numbers are relevant to THE TRUMP

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Tenzarin posted:

Since you failed to show me how price stuff works, I will read a random document on the internet and go with it.

Bob makes hamburgers, he is my only employee and he makes 95% of his hamburgers correctly. I should really pay him more then 15 dollars for this full time burger job but.
Let’s say that the milliner has 4 weeks off (for holidays, illness and slack time), and that she works 40hours per week, so the total hours/year making work would be: 48 weeks x 40hours x 95% = 1824h/year.

So a complete years pay would be $27,360 for making burgers full time. That's pretty lovely.

This is your hourly overhead costs + hourly wage, i have no idea what this means. I'm rich i have no overhead costs because i want to manage a burger shop by myself for fun.
so $15.

lets keep it simple, I make bob always make burgers so he makes 60 burgers every hour. Everyone wants to buy 1 burger.
total time spend to get 1 burger ready is hours x hourly rate, so 0.0166 x $15 = $0.25

Contingency will allow for mistakes, hidden extra etc, and will allow you to offer discounts or special offers. This will add 10%

Burgers are now $0.30 and he makes me $32832 a year while costing $13,680 in employment costs.

I'm no expert but by paying him double, makes him get double the money. And if he had all this money whats stopping him from buying alot of my burgers, I will have to raise my prices because of demand?

source

lamao

Immortan posted:

it's true, houses, electronics, rent, insurance

they will all double if people who make minimum wage have their wages adjusted for inflation over ten or so years

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Well guys if we put the minimum wage at $15/hour then sure people being paid minimum wage would fare significantly better and be able to afford things like real food, their own apartment, and perhaps even leisure activities from time to time, but then inflation sparked by the huge increase in economic activity and growth would eventually render $15/hour below a living wage and we'd be right back where we started so of course it's stupid to raise minimum wage

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Tenzarin posted:

so $15.

source

Hang on, I'm geting hosed! it costs me $16,416 a year to make burgers.

The fair wage makes me $32,832 - costs $16,416 - bobs pay $13,680 = I get $2736 holy poo poo why am I managing this place!

ok lets pay him more so i get more money, $60,192 a year income.
$60,192 - $16,416 - $27,360 = $16,416
WTF bob makes more then me, I own the place!

Ok, fair wage + quad the price of the burger so I make more money!
$2.2 per burger + bob making 7.5 an hour.
We now make $240,768 per year.
$240,768 - $16,416 - $13,680 = $210,672 much better.

I guess if were making that much money I would pay bob more.
$240,768 - $16,416 - $27,360 = $196,992

At least bob gets paid well for making 109,440 burgers flawlessly every year that always get sold.

Tenzarin has issued a correction as of 00:32 on Aug 13, 2015

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

SA still has Libertarians?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Wheeee posted:

Well guys if we put the minimum wage at $15/hour then sure people being paid minimum wage would fare significantly better and be able to afford things like real food, their own apartment, and perhaps even leisure activities from time to time, but then inflation sparked by the huge increase in economic activity and growth would eventually render $15/hour below a living wage and we'd be right back where we started so of course it's stupid to raise minimum wage

We should lower minimum wage.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

We should lower minimum wage.

everyone, no matter how good they are at their job or whether they are a CEO or a burger flipper gets paid $2/hour

then everyone wins, right?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Otacon posted:

everyone, no matter how good they are at their job or whether they are a CEO or a burger flipper gets paid $2/hour

then everyone wins, right?

Well if I paid bob nothing and he still made me $240k a year and I got more bobs to make more money! It turned dark pretty past.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I owned a small business with 7-10 part time employees. Paying them $15 an hour would have been financially impossible. Even if very small businesses we're exempt, each employee of that small business would leave as soon as they could find a $15 job at Arby's. Any company that is not already established would not be able to survive with either those wages or that frequent turn-over.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Tenzarin posted:

Well if I paid bob nothing and he still made me $240k a year and I got more bobs to make more money! It turned dark pretty past.

mo' money, mo' problems

notorious b.i.g. for president 2016

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Tenzarin posted:

Average CEO compensation has increased 8x since 1965. It has doubled since the late 1990s, nearly tripling since 1995. How is this possible without a corresponding price increase for consumers?

http://www.epi.org/publication/ceo-pay-continues-to-rise/

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

You are wrong and also dumb.

First: a higher minimum wage exerts upward pressure on wages. Do you think a previously more highly paid employee wants to now be paid near the same as what someone working at Wal-Mart makes? No.

Second: Due to minimum wage employees and other, higher paid workers in the economy making more, aggregate demand goes up (look it up) and a greater degree of deleveraging (this too) occurs. This means demand for goods and services goes up...hence, more hiring, more spending, higher GDP, more taxes being paid, even if corporate profits are somewhat negatively impacted (which would be true for only some sectors of the economy). This is part of why the economic impact of raising the minimum wage is so "muddled" - because there are a number of factors offsetting "hurr machines will replace employees."

Third: The minimum wage increase will be staggered, preventing shocks...and ideally, indexed to inflation.

Fourth: We are just starting to maybe come out of a liquidity trap (look it up), and our economy is short on demand whilst inflation is TOO LOW! Yes, that's a thing (look it up). While this is certainly not enough by itself, the infrastructure spending that accompanies Bernie's plans definitely also helps on that front.

Now get the gently caress out of my office and do your readings next time, you twerp.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

Average CEO compensation has increased 8x since 1965. It has doubled since the late 1990s, nearly tripling since 1995. How is this possible without a corresponding price increase for consumers?

by funneling gains realized by increases in efficiency and overall productivity directly into the pockets of the people at the top. and a good bit of outsourcing

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

The Human Crouton posted:

I owned a small business with 7-10 part time employees. Paying them $15 an hour would have been financially impossible. Even if very small businesses we're exempt, each employee of that small business would leave as soon as they could find a $15 job at Arby's. Any company that is not already established would not be able to survive with either those wages or that frequent turn-over.

I owned a small business

lol if you didnt flip that business like god emperor trump and went out of business like a loser

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

What happened to your business? You used the past tense here....

wasn't viable at any wage

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

holy poo poo it's almost as if the CEO was one dude and the multinationals' payrolls frequently have tens or even hundreds of thousands of employees

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Salt Fish posted:

What happened to your business? You used the past tense here....

wasn't viable at any wage

Partner purposely left meat out overnight whenever I was not physically there to stop him in order to prove to me that it wouldn't hurt anybody, and that I was too concerned about health codes. I shut it down shortly into his experement.

The business was sustainable. It was in the black the entire time it was open.

The Human Crouton has issued a correction as of 01:27 on Aug 13, 2015

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Excelzior posted:

holy poo poo it's almost as if the CEO was one dude and the multinationals' payrolls frequently have tens or even hundreds of thousands of employees

But wait, I'm confused! Productivity per worker hasn't increased by 8 times during the same period that CEO pay increased by 8 times. Could you explain to me (since I'm so dumb) how that's possible? If prices are basically the same after adjusting for inflation, and productivity only increased 20% during a time when CEO compensation increased 800% where did that extra money come from exactly?

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Tenzarin posted:

so $15.

source

lol, where can I get a 55 cent hamburger?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
These graphs are related and they paint an obscene picture of how this country's wealth has been bled away by a handful of insatiable vampires who will not stop until the working class is reduced to mindless cattle whos only purpose is to pull on their yolk, reproduce and die.

In the libertarian utopia soylent and artificial insemination will ensure proper nutrition without sensory distraction and we will be able to reproduce only the best traits of the working class.

Salt Fish has issued a correction as of 01:36 on Aug 13, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

for what it's worth I agree entirely, all I said was the ceo's salary has an insignificant impact on the end product's price when compared to general payroll :ohdear:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
A CEO could choose to pay 1000 employees an extra 10,000 dollars each instead of choosing an extra 10 million in compensation. I say that we should make that choice for them.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Tricky D posted:

lol, where can I get a 55 cent hamburger?

Hang around any circus where the animals are starting to look a bit sickly.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

PT6A posted:

Hang around any circus where the animals are starting to look a bit sickly.

The system works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Salt Fish posted:

A CEO could choose to pay 1000 employees an extra 10,000 dollars each instead of choosing an extra 10 million in compensation. I say that we should make that choice for them.

If a CEO has that option then I mostly agree. The only issues I have is that that CEO shouldn't have to if their employees are already well compensated, and how hard it would be to write laws that actually decide if they should or not.

I mean, most of us can tell when someone is loving people over, but it's really hard to put that into words that bind to everyone.

• Locked thread