Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

Thug Lessons posted:

FNS is the igl so if you kick him they have no igl.

cutler is igl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm also GNM and would enjoy queueing with people. I usually play between 10pm-midnight eastern time. http://steamcommunity.com/id/thisismynameonsteam

I don't really want to play with anyone who's gonna rage or get pouty when we lose so don't add me if you've got dreams of hitting the big time. I'll be happy if I ever get to MG1.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Jellidelic posted:

Finally got my bird on a tie game in which I bottom fragged. Go figure.

W/e Still celebrating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WssBnaNOMTc

I've been at LE for so long now I'll probably downrank soon

can't wait :getin:

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Lacedaemonius posted:

idk what you're smoking, it's an SMG with rifle damage. Not great, but great for the price, and I'd definitely have one over a galil

also m249's worse

Actually it is more accurate to point to the FAMAS as a rifle with SMG damage.

It does work somewhat better at range, especially if you put it in burst mode, but it will get absolutely outshot by every other rifle (including the galil), so you kinda want to engage up close. The spray pattern is hilariously inconsistent as well.

The UMP costs half as much, gives twice the reward, and actually does identical damage to armored targets at close range. First shot accuracy is less, but the spray pattern is much more consistent, and as an SMG, it is effective while moving, which can be a huge advantage.

As CT, you generally get to pick your engagement. That means that guns like the MAG-7 and the UMP-45 are more effective than their terrorist counterparts. The Galil is important because you can get a versatile gun, that while inaccurate and somewhat unpredictable, at least goes toe to toe with the M4 on damage, and has 35 rounds to boot.

The FAMAS is versatile, but inaccurate and unpredictable, only has 25 rounds, and is massively outclassed in damage by the AK47. (the AK does essentially the same damage to armored targets as the FAMAS does to unarmored).

Essentially, rifle damage is broken up into 3 groups: AK-47 and SG553 have 25+ damage at all ranges, giving the 1sk HS, and killing in 4 shots to the body. M4, AUG, and Galil have 20-25 damage, meaning they don't kill in a single headshot, and require 5 shots to the body. Then there's the FAMAS, which falls into the second category out to about 10m (incidentally, so does the UMP). Beyond 10m, it has less than 20 damage, meaning the FAMAS requires either a second headshot or two chest shots to kill after a headshot, and can require 6 body shots to kill.

It is worth noting that both the AUG and the FAMAS are close enough to their breakpoints that at most ranges a single hit in the stomach will reduce the shots to kill count by one to 4 and 5 respectively. The SG does enough damage that it will kill in 3 if two shots hit the stomach.

This is a lot of words to say that the FAMAS is a piddly little pea-shooter that gets outclassed by every other rifle. For 2900 I would take UMP+kit/nades over a vest/FAMAS, and for 3900 I would still probably take the UMP and just buy an M4 next round.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

The Blue Caboose posted:

The UMP costs half as much, gives twice the reward, and actually does identical damage to armored targets at close range. First shot accuracy is less, but the spray pattern is much more consistent, and as an SMG, it is effective while moving, which can be a huge advantage.

I did not know that. Whats the fall off like? At roughly what distance would you need more than a dink and a body shot?

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

The Blue Caboose posted:

Actually it is more accurate to point to the FAMAS as a rifle with SMG damage.

It does work somewhat better at range, especially if you put it in burst mode, but it will get absolutely outshot by every other rifle (including the galil), so you kinda want to engage up close. The spray pattern is hilariously inconsistent as well.

As CT, you generally get to pick your engagement. That means that guns like the MAG-7 and the UMP-45 are more effective than their terrorist counterparts. The Galil is important because you can get a versatile gun, that while inaccurate and somewhat unpredictable, at least goes toe to toe with the M4 on damage, and has 35 rounds to boot.

The FAMAS is versatile, but inaccurate and unpredictable, only has 25 rounds, and is massively outclassed in damage by the AK47. (the AK does essentially the same damage to armored targets as the FAMAS does to unarmored).

Essentially, rifle damage is broken up into 3 groups: AK-47 and SG553 have 25+ damage at all ranges, giving the 1sk HS, and killing in 4 shots to the body. M4, AUG, and Galil have 20-25 damage, meaning they don't kill in a single headshot, and require 5 shots to the body. Then there's the FAMAS, which falls into the second category out to about 10m (incidentally, so does the UMP). Beyond 10m, it has less than 20 damage, meaning the FAMAS requires either a second headshot or two chest shots to kill after a headshot, and can require 6 body shots to kill.

It is worth noting that both the AUG and the FAMAS are close enough to their breakpoints that at most ranges a single hit in the stomach will reduce the shots to kill count by one to 4 and 5 respectively. The SG does enough damage that it will kill in 3 if two shots hit the stomach.

This is a lot of words to say that the FAMAS is a piddly little pea-shooter that gets outclassed by every other rifle. For 2900 I would take UMP+kit/nades over a vest/FAMAS, and for 3900 I would still probably take the UMP and just buy an M4 next round.

i don't have time right now to point out exactly how incorrect you are, but look at this

http://strike-counter.com/cs-go-stats/weapons-comparison?weapon1=22&weapon2=25

the only smg that does more damage than the famas is the UMP. the famas is only 3 damage less than either m4, with the same armor pen, and less recoil. the range dropoff is negligible difference, with the famas coming out slightly behind (.96 vs .97 and .99).

the famas is an excellent gun, anybody who says otherwise isn't using it correctly.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
the way i look at the famas is, it's as good as an m4 if you can get a dink in the first few shots, but if you miss those dinks the backup option of a spray down takes longer and is less reliable than if you missed a dink with an m4a1-s and went for a spraydown

So it's slightly worse than the main rifles but better than an ump at most ranges.. Seems pretty balanced if you look at it like that. You can still spray the body and get kills with a famas it just takes a bit longer so you really want the dink IMO.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

this is beautiful

WE'RE DEAD

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

no_funeral posted:

i don't have time right now to point out exactly how incorrect you are, but look at this

the only smg that does more damage than the famas is the UMP. the famas is only 3 damage less than either m4, with the same armor pen, and less recoil. the range dropoff is negligible difference, with the famas coming out slightly behind (.96 vs .97 and .99).

the famas is an excellent gun, anybody who says otherwise isn't using it correctly.

I dont know about the drop off being negligible, it seems to kick in just when you should be thinking "good job I have a rifle". Then I die after giving 90 in 5.

edit : Im going to try UMP + nades on force ups for a while.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Aww Yiss. The next hot nerdcore record

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
Straight outta middle through our connector

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why

bpower posted:

I dont know about the drop off being negligible, it seems to kick in just when you should be thinking "good job I have a rifle". Then I die after giving 90 in 5.

edit : Im going to try UMP + nades on force ups for a while.

if you're supposed to do 110 dmg closeup with the m4a4, and its at range, you'd do 106.7

if you're supposed to do 110 dmg closeup with the m4a1-s, and its at range, you'd do 108.9

if you're supposed to do 110 dmg closeup with the famas, and its at range, you'd do 105.6

the difference is negligible. the problem that i assume is the cause of all of this, is that people assume the galil and famas have MORE recoil, due to being cheaper, and over compensate, hitting too many leg shots. the inverse is true, as the galil and famas have smaller recoil spreads than their 'main gun' counterparts.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

the famas and galil are both good. if i have an AK, <2700 and need to drop i throw the AK and buy the galil for myself. the vibes go through the roof and you win games.

the galil in particular is a steal, it's essentially a $2000 m4.

Ephedra
Jan 5, 2010

Fight

->Jump<-

Item

no_funeral posted:

if you're supposed to do 110 dmg closeup with the m4a4, and its at range, you'd do 106.7

if you're supposed to do 110 dmg closeup with the m4a1-s, and its at range, you'd do 108.9

if you're supposed to do 110 dmg closeup with the famas, and its at range, you'd do 105.6

the difference is negligible. the problem that i assume is the cause of all of this, is that people assume the galil and famas have MORE recoil, due to being cheaper, and over compensate, hitting too many leg shots. the inverse is true, as the galil and famas have smaller recoil spreads than their 'main gun' counterparts.

Buy a scout, problem solved.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veWBKGI-8Y0

Max PL
Apr 1, 2012
Adding my name to list of people looking to q up. I'm the gold with 4 stars. walle-mx- is my profile name. Or steamcommunity.com/id/pinkpinkpony

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Found this on the workshop http://steamcommunity.com/id/dolnma8/myworkshopfiles/?appid=730

The guy has remade some maps with pop up indicators of where you are supposed to throw smokes, molotovs and flashes. You walk up to the green spots where you throw from and a green mark appears where you are supposed to throw. When you get to the green mark a lot of the time you get hovering pictures to show what you are lining up in case the green mark is obscuring it in some way. He even has green lines for the ones you are supposed to run and throw. The mirage ones seemed off but the inferno ones are great. I didn't try the overpass ones because I don't play that map. Anyway its much easier than tabbing to youtube. There aren't a lot of flashes shown I assume because they are a lot more circumstantial.

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 13, 2015

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Guys I figured it out. I finally got a stattrak Cartel and now I'm clicking heads like never before. Even my sprays are hitting heads. I can't stop.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4GiXKK4zpM

I counter sneak a sneak defuse.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Guys I figured it out. I finally got a stattrak Cartel and now I'm clicking heads like never before. Even my sprays are hitting heads. I can't stop.

Eventually you'll run into a guy with a Wasteland Rebel or worse yet a StatTrak Vulcan and you'll be shot before you even see what killed you.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

nftyw posted:

Eventually you'll run into a guy with a Wasteland Rebel or worse yet a StatTrak Vulcan and you'll be shot before you even see what killed you.

I get wrecked by guys with knives every game these days because they can get to the bombsite faster than I can and dodge my sprays with sick mlg quick-switch strafejumps. Sometimes I wish this game weren't so pay to win but I understand Volvo has to make their money somehow.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
All of my most-used guns are brass, copper or leather so I can always kill with class

EDIT: I wish there was a classy looking AUG :smith:

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Aug 13, 2015

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
I need a cool ak skin, but I don't want to spend a lot of money... using a worn safari mesh right now

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
The AK elite is cool looking, fairly cheap and has a slight reduction to horizontal spread

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Pookum posted:

I need a cool ak skin, but I don't want to spend a lot of money... using a worn safari mesh right now

Safari mesh Bros unite!

illezt
Mar 1, 2005

Thug Lessons posted:

If you want a team that should kick their igl for Hiko it's obviously Liquid but they're kicking flowsick instead. Though I guess they should kick him anyway but Adren is the bigger problem and they'll never have an internationally competitive team while he's on it.

Cutler is CLG's caller now, not FNS. And cutting Flowsick for Hiko makes perfect sense given that they both lurk T side and play similar spots on CT side

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

no_funeral posted:

The 3 point damage loss and the slightly less ranged damage means that the FAMAS misses the 20 damage breakpoint at ranges greater than approximately 10 meters. In other words, 99 in 2.

The UMP misses the 20 damage breakpoint slightly sooner, at around 9m. It then goes on to be pretty much worthless at 20m, while the FAMAS is only weak at that range. In that situation, the FAMAS is better than the UMP. However, CSGO is a game of close angles, with a few long angles that can be pretty much avoided on CT side. At those ranges, the significantly more reliable spray pattern on the UMP get me, personally, more frags.

The FAMAS is far from an excellent gun (it's actually not a pile of poo poo either, I just prefer to not buy it). It is better than the UMP for retaking sites.

It is, however, the worst rifle by a large margin. It is the least accurate, with the lowest damage, the worst spray, and the second smallest magazine. The lack of damage at range (UMP is worse, i know) coupled with the poor accuracy make for a gun that cannot compete with an AK or M4. And god forbid that you have to clear out an AWPer.

The FAMAS and Galil have a smaller recoil pattern than their high cost counterpart, but their spray patterns are unreliable and a little wonky. People don't like the SG because it has a weird spray pattern, but at least it's consistent. People think the galil has the same compensation as the AK, but that's actually false. The galil pulls up and to the left. But it's inaccuracy means that the pattern is muddy enough to just kinda look like straight up. The FAMAS is just kinda all over the place after the first 4 shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBBxtOxyR-o At about 1:13, you get a pretty good glance at the FAMAS spray pattern. Notice how only the first 3 shots have any sort of real consistency? And then it goes kinda triangle shaped? That sucks. (3kliksphilip is kinda douchey, but he does do reasonably well thought out testing of mechanics).

Pookum posted:

You can also get a Cartel for around 2 bucks if you prefer the more classic look.

nftyw posted:

My Wasteland Rebel, Cyrex, and Vanilla Butterfly Knife have taken me to LEM in the past two days. I'm thinking about shelling out for a Dragon Lore. That will probably just get me straight to global! (it's all a lie my wasteland rebel is battle scarred and my cyrex is just a 16% FT. my entire life is a sham)

The Blue Caboose fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Aug 13, 2015

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

http://massivelyop.com/2015/08/12/esl-to-test-for-cannabis-at-this-months-counter-strike-tourney-in-cologne/

Massively posted:

The Electronic Sports League will test pro Counter-Strike players for cannabis and other banned substances at the $250,000 ESL One Cologne later this month. Eurogamer reports that the decision is a first for e-sports drug testing, though the ESL is only banning the use of cannabis during the competition. So, puff puff pass before and after, apparently!

ESL will administer random saliva-based tests. Punishments for testing positive include deductions in tourney points and prize money, disqualification, and a two-year ban from ESL events.

You motherfuckers. I knew you were all smoking weed to improve your performance.

Also I don't want to hear no more UMP talk in here. That poo poo be my gimmick so back off from my throne.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

Yeah, that's what I've been saying for ages about the FAMAS. It's a good gun but there is a downside, which is the randomness. There is a difference between spray pattern and randomness that some people don't seem to understand. The pattern is what you can compensate for. The spread is not compensate-able. It is randomly generated by the server. The FAMAS has a very good pattern, which is why the spray pattern is 'small', but it is more random than the full-buy rifles. The FAMAS would be about as good as the M4A1-S if it were not for its side to side 'messiness'.

Carol Pizzamom fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Aug 13, 2015

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Carol Pizzamom posted:

Yeah, that's what I've been saying for ages about the FAMAS. It's a good gun but there is a downside, which is the randomness. There is a difference between spray pattern and randomness that some people don't seem to understand. The pattern is what you can compensate for. The spread is not compensate-able. It is randomly generated by the server. The FAMAS has a very good pattern, which is why the spray pattern is 'small', but it is more random than the full-buy rifles. The FAMAS would be about as good as the M4A1-S if it were not for its side to side 'messiness'.

More reasons to avoid the FAMAS.

Honestly though, the FAMAS is better than other SMGs, it is true. But you shouldn't be buying it almost ever. You don't want it as an anti-eco weapon because it's expensive and dangerous to drop to the other team. It's performance against no-armour is also inferior to things like an MP7 as well.

Against eco rushes it's not great either, and its kill reward means you'll not have the potential to build some important bank. Buying it on 2nd or 3rd round with a helmet will bankrupt you and leave you with minimal grenades. And then if you win, you'll be stuck with it vs AKs because it's a awful decision to drop a FAMAS for an M4, but a FAMAS is still loving bad and will lose to an AK duel almost every time. This is because if you miss your first headshot, you'll need FIVE body hits to kill unless you are in their throat, compared to an AK needing at most 3 or 4.

Well gently caress, then maybe you can buy it on buy rounds where you're short of cash but your team is forcing? Perhaps. Sometimes. Depends on where you play and what map. I'd prefer to recommend buying a 5-7 and a full complement of grenades.

I'd go as far as saying a kill you get with a FAMAS you're about 7/10 times likely to make with a 5-7 as well. Except you have more team utility with grenades, more ability to set up a kill that you'd never get with a no/few grenade FAMAS buy, and on top of it all, the potential to pick up a weapon from your teammate/enemy.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Ahdinko posted:

People still solo queue?

None of my friends play counter strike. They are all into that dota thing.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Maguro posted:

I'll join a group for sure.

Master_Odin posted:

I'm stuck at nova master. Steam name is same as here. Maybe I'll finally escape it (and still be permanently bad).

Sent the two of you group invites on Steam since I had both of you on my friendslist. Victorian Gentleman, I don't seem to have you on my list, shoot me an invite and I'll throw you in the group as well.

Anyone else in the GNM-MG1 range who wants to join a dumb stop-suckin'-and-five-stack group team thing, lemme know. My GPU crapped itself so I've got all my stuff plugged into a laptop, but I should be able to play competently enough on it.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I have an MG1 smurf account that could join in, unless you want legit MG1s :)

stump collector
May 28, 2007
The famas is good because I got an ace with it.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

Sent the two of you group invites on Steam since I had both of you on my friendslist. Victorian Gentleman, I don't seem to have you on my list, shoot me an invite and I'll throw you in the group as well.

Anyone else in the GNM-MG1 range who wants to join a dumb stop-suckin'-and-five-stack group team thing, lemme know. My GPU crapped itself so I've got all my stuff plugged into a laptop, but I should be able to play competently enough on it.

I'm in, as a nova 4. http://steamcommunity.com/id/xsf421

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Goofballs posted:

Found this on the workshop http://steamcommunity.com/id/dolnma8/myworkshopfiles/?appid=730

The guy has remade some maps with pop up indicators of where you are supposed to throw smokes, molotovs and flashes. You walk up to the green spots where you throw from and a green mark appears where you are supposed to throw. When you get to the green mark a lot of the time you get hovering pictures to show what you are lining up in case the green mark is obscuring it in some way. He even has green lines for the ones you are supposed to run and throw. The mirage ones seemed off but the inferno ones are great. I didn't try the overpass ones because I don't play that map. Anyway its much easier than tabbing to youtube. There aren't a lot of flashes shown I assume because they are a lot more circumstantial.

I like these maps, but you need to concrete a bit .its really easy to run around the map throwing smokes using the markers provided and then completely forgetting how to line them up without markers because you haven't learned them at all. Where as if you do the old alt-tab between youtube and cs you really learn the lineup.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Well you can turn the line ups off if you want, its right ctrl 1,2,3 to turn on the one you want and right ctrl 4 to turn off all the indicators. So its easy enough to test what you actually know

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Kazinsal posted:

MG1 here. Send me an invite if possible: http://steamcommunity.com/id/battlehamster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ephedra
Jan 5, 2010

Fight

->Jump<-

Item

Kazinsal posted:

Eddie is a GN3 or 4 and want to play with you.

• Locked thread