Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Alkydere posted:

He's tired of the military costing money, it should MAKE us money. We've got the most YOOGE military in the world, we should be letting other people pay us to rent some of it out so we can fight their fights for them, for profit.

I was thinking more like "gee, that's a nice little countryside/oilfield you have here, Japan/UAE/Germany. A pity if our soldiers have too many training accidents and burn next year's crop/petrol exports." :toughguy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Alkydere posted:

He's tired of the military costing money, it should MAKE us money. We've got the most YOOGE military in the world, we should be letting other people pay us to rent some of it out so we can fight their fights for them, for profit.

tbh the Hessian model was hugely successful while it lasted

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

remusclaw posted:

Yeah, see there is exactly where Trump terrifies me the most. Can you imagine him, in the situation room during some crisis, while some joint chief is trying to explain to him exactly why his idea isn't going to work?

Reminds you of a certain someone?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

remusclaw posted:

Yeah, see there is exactly where Trump terrifies me the most. Can you imagine him, in the situation room during some crisis, while some joint chief is trying to explain to him exactly why his idea isn't going to work?
That's loser thinking, General. You gotta think bigger than that

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I was thinking more like "gee, that's a nice little countryside/oilfield you have here, Japan/UAE/Germany. A pity if our soldiers have too many training accidents and burn next year's crop/petrol exports." :toughguy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZR_rrMGRgQ

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

remusclaw posted:

"YOU'RE FIRED! AND YOU'RE FIRED! AND YOU'RE FIRED!"

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I was thinking more like "gee, that's a nice little countryside you have here, Japan/UAE/Germany. A pity if our soldiers have too many training accidents and burn next year's crop." :toughguy:

Why not both? It will take a few years to find just the right amount we can blackmail without our client states realizing it might be better to not have the US military doing eternal live-fire exercises on their land against whatever undesirables they're paying us to shoot.

Of course, any extra profits in the first few years will be turned towards making vehicle mounted nerf weapons to equip the troops with for when US soldiers are hired to fight other US soldiers. Trump's all about the nationalism and xenophobia but he finds the idea of American countrymen dying a pointless death repugnant.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
A year from now, Bernie sanders loses the nomination to Hillary Clinton in a closer race then anyone could have expected, while Trumps cruises to his nomination, grinding all 16 other candidates in to dust along the way. He then selects Independent Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders as his running mate.

The Trump/Sanders ticket wins in an electoral landslide and is reelected for a 2nd term in 2020 as the United States of America is ushered into a new golden age. During President Trump's 2nd term, congress repeals the 22nd amendment and Trump/Sanders runs for and wins 2 additional terms.

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

The X-man cometh posted:

Mortgage and $3500 in rent? Part-time nanny? That's not middle class, even in the Bay Area.

I guess my life is a lie then. :shrug:

The mortgage is on a rental property outside of the Bay Area and rent is on a modest duplex unit in a very nice neighborhood about 15-20 minutes outside of SF.

My point is $250k/yr is middle class like Clinton was dead broke.

Feather fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 13, 2015

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Our dedicated boys keep the peace in annexed Canada.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Feather posted:

I guess my life is a lie then. :shrug:

The mortgage is on a rental property outside of the Bay Area and rent is on a modest duplex unit in a very nice neighborhood about 15-20 minutes outside of SF.

My point is my family is middle class like Clinton was dead broke.

Oh, I got it wrong. I thought you were saying that family was middle class, not upper class.

Sorry.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I make $68,000 a year and drive a f'ing ACURA. I have a canopied PATIO and eat steak for dinner at least TWICE A MONTH.

I'm voting Trump, a fellow member of upper class America, so that I may preserve my own interests and lifestyle.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
The resemblance is uncanny.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

remusclaw posted:

I can imagine him in front of his bathroom vanity during a crisis, "Yeah, just do whatever. I've got to get ready for the press conference."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day:

quote:

Rand Paul is doing so poorly in the polls he has to revert to old footage of me discussing positions I no longer hold. As a world-class businessman, who built one of the great companies with some of the most iconic real estate assets in the world, it was my obligation to my family, my company, my employees and myself to maintain a strong relationship with all politicians whether Republican or Democrat. I did that and I did that well.

Unless you are a piece of unyielding granite, over the years positions evolve as they have in my case. Ronald Reagan, as an example, was a Democrat with a liberal bent who became a conservative Republican.

Recently, Rand Paul called me and asked me to play golf. I easily beat him on the golf course and will even more easily beat him now, in the world in the politics.

Senator Paul does not mention that after trouncing him in golf I made a significant donation to the eye center with which he is affiliated.

I feel sorry for the great people of Kentucky who are being used as a back up to Senator Paul’s hopeless attempt to become President of the United States--- weak on the military, Israel, the Vets and many other issues. Senator Paul has no chance of wining the nomination and the people of Kentucky should not allow him the privilege of remaining their Senator. Rand should save his lobbyist’s and special interest money and just go quietly home.

Rand’s campaign is a total mess, and as a matter of fact, I didn’t know he had anybody left in his campaign to make commercials who are not currently under indictment!

~ Donald Trump, obviously.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 13, 2015

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Tricky D posted:

I can imagine him in front of his bathroom vanity during a crisis, "Yeah, just do whatever. I've got to get ready for the press conference."

Heh the guys a narcissist, he is not going to give a chance to be in the spotlight. Of all his faults I don't see indecision as one of them.

If anything he will go live on camera and make the clutch (not matter how dumbass it is) call for all to see.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day:

Everyday I ask myself "How could it get any better than this, really" and i'll be damned if this election doesn't deliver again and again.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day:

That man is a treasure

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Everyday I ask myself "How could it get any better than this, really" and i'll be damned if this election doesn't deliver again and again.

Trump is the gift that keeps on giving all year.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I love you, Donald Trump.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Holyshoot posted:

whats the context of this or what exactly is going on?

Curb your Enthusiasm is a TV show starring Larry David as a socially awkward Larry David. That theme song plays whenever something particularly silly has happened to him at the end of the episode.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tricky D posted:

For many schools, esp in the south east, football programs are net positive sources of income for the school.

If you believe accounting that would make ENRON's accountants blush, sure.

If I remember right the schools that did the best only eke out a few hundred thousands a year in profit on the student athletics - and then most of it goes right back into the athletics program instead of say paying for grad student stipends or bumping a few adjuncts up to proper professors.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Trunk is much better at trashing Republicans than any democratic politician, or quite frankly any entertainer. Jon Stewart can move over.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

whats the context of this or what exactly is going on?

drat where have you been

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

from the NH poll with sanders in the lead:

Sandstorm cometh :gizz:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

fronz posted:

Curb your Enthusiasm is a TV show starring Larry David as a socially awkward Larry David. That theme song plays whenever something particularly silly has happened to him at the end of the episode.

Also Bernie looks kind of like Larry David and has a similar accent.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
2 months ago my mom, a registered republican, told me she planned to vote for Donald Trump because she thought he was very smart. I then yelled at her and tried to talk some sense in to her.

I'm one press conference away from calling to apologize for that.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I am rooting for trump. How far can we keep this going.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I'm just living for Donald Trump going full bore to destroy Rand Paul. It's kicking a dog while he's already down, sure, but few candidates deserve it more. :allears:

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Abner Cadaver II posted:

He has liver cancer - the outlook isn't good but it's not like it's a 100% certain death sentence.

still :smith:

His love of peanuts may very well have been his undoing. :smith:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fronz posted:

Jesus, I never watched that clip before. It does make him look like a bit of a wuss, if I'm being honest.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I like that I said the NH Dem poll was going to be a big thing in the media, get everyone's rear end on fire, and a few people were like 'lol, small sample size from a republican tabloid who cares'. And now after a full day news cycle it has been all over the place like Time, Morning Joe, Guardian, WaPo, everywhere. Only NYT is bullshitting with 'statistical tie'. I've seen more people yelling where the gently caress is Clinton and what is she thinking today than any other day in this election. She's loving around with emails instead of saying how she plans to improve America. This is wakeup time, dems, wakey-wakey.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Rand Paul got ethered god drat

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

Jesus, I never watched that clip before. It does make him look like a bit of a wuss, if I'm being honest.

It probably looks better for him than for him to have wrestled black lives matter supporters to the ground.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Joementum posted:

Speaking of Mark Ames, he wrote a good history of Roger Stone, ex(?)-Trump campaign associate. Check it out if you enjoy reading about horrible, Libertarian, Nixon cronies.

quote:

With bizarre attacks and pressure mounting on all sides and Muskie growing increasingly paranoid and peeved, Nixon’s dirty tricksters wound up destroying him in one of those weird insignificant little episodes that somehow get weaponized, go viral, and destroy the candidate. A Nixon CREEPer, maybe Roger Stone, sent a phony letter to the editor to the big New Hampshire newspaper on the eve of the all-important early primary there, claiming to be written by a Muskie supporter who claimed, falsely, that he’d met Muskie in Florida (where Nixon’s White House paid blacks to picket Muskie’s hotel), and asked Muskie how he could possibly understand the problems that black Americans face given the fact that his home state Maine has so few minorities.

quote:

In early 2004, with former Vermont governor and articulate antiwar candidate Howard Dean electrifying Democrats and antiwar voters and posing a potentially deadly threat to the Bush campaign, Roger Stone secretly funded and staffed Al Sharpton, and sent him into the Democratic Party primaries to smear Howard Dean and suck the life and joy out of his campaign. It worked.

Seems especially relevant this campaign cycle considering what's already happened to Sanders in Seattle.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I do think we should add some wrestling matches to the debate schedule though.

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

Joementum posted:

the great people of Kentucky

The biggest lie in this entire quote.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Seems especially relevant this campaign cycle considering what's already happened to Sanders in Seattle.

A lot of the stuff he has written about American politics is very relevant this year in regards to Trump.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

MrBims posted:

She's loving around with emails instead of saying how she plans to improve America.

Yeah, what she really should have been doing is giving multiple speeches on specific topics outlining her policies.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Daduzi posted:

Yeah, what she really should have been doing is giving multiple speeches on specific topics outlining her policies.

The GOP strategy in a nutshell.

Here's an idea: send Bill on a loving apology tour. Just him on stage with Robert Reich showing Adam Curtis clips and saying 'I hosed it all up.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Daduzi posted:

Psssh, no, just need to have rich people like Kim Kardashian say "I'm Ready for Hillary (TM)" and that will get the poors in line. gently caress policies.

Wait, do we still have that old college loan thing in the filing cabinets in the basement? Throw that out there. That'll appease them.

What do you mean people are asking why this isn't as good as Bernie's plan?

• Locked thread