Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hedningen posted:

Glad my last order from DTRPG was back in February. Certainly makes me less paranoid.

To keep with petchat, here is a tiny dog I live with. He's a trained therapy dog and is quite tired after visiting a nursing home earlier today, hence the goofy clothes.

I think your cat is sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Captain Foo posted:

I think your cat is sick
Would you say his cat is as sick as a.... dog? :haw:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I lucked out because I only buy stuff on Drivethru via Paypal. You got my hopes up about a Torchbearer expansion, but it looks like it's just a few odds and ends - some of which are free. I was surprised to see some Burning Wheel on there, but Luke Crane is still a big dumb idiot so you can't get anything you'd actually want. (Or print versions, apparently.)

Levels 6+ are still a pipe dream...

Cat chat:
About two years ago I was driving home and got stuck behind a van that had inexplicably stopped. There was a sudden flurry of movement, and I thought he'd hit a family of ducks. He fast-walked back to the driver's side and zoomed out of there.

Fucker dumped a whole litter of kittens. I tried to gather up as many as I could to take to a local no-kill shelter where a coworker volunteers. But they were quick, it was dark, and the only one I caught was this dummy who thought she could hide by squatting in the grass:

After I got home, I had to spend the rest of the night disassembling the dashboard to get her out of where she'd climbed up. She fit in the palm of my hand.

Her eyes were swollen shut for a few weeks. She had an itchy eye infection that she scratched by rubbing her face in litter - which got trapped in her eyes and made things worse. (When we realized what was happening, we switched to shredded newspaper 'litter.) She's given us some other scares, but now she's a big fat doofcat. (And her eyes work.)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey are there any tabletop games that do high fantasy age of sail poo poo well? All my books for that swashbuckling/pirate funtimes stuff are either 'historic' romantic style or stuff like 7th sea that comes close but seems to waffle between 'magic motherfuckers' and 'this is a secret, ancient, art' stuff.

For cat chat I currently have a small black and white cat sitting on my feet glaring at me even though I just changed her litter box and gave her food and have been petting her constantly. I think she's just being a little jerk but I'm very happy she's past her skittish 'oh god a human near me gotta run' stuff so I'll allow it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Ultimately I'd say say the question is not "what high fantasy game does sailing well" but "what's your favorite high fantasy game?" It should be pretty simple to add in boats from there.

I've been wanting to run a romantic Golden Age of Pirates someday using Hillfolk. It didn't work out, but I really like the idea.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ultimately I'd say say the question is not "what high fantasy game does sailing well" but "what's your favorite high fantasy game?" It should be pretty simple to add in boats from there.

I dunno. I'm not sure I've ever seen a system that I though did ship mechanics well.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I've never played Seven Seas or even read it, but I heard it handles that niche. Whether it does it well, well, I can't say.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Covok posted:

I've never played Seven Seas or even read it, but I heard it handles that niche. Whether it does it well, well, I can't say.

It really doesn't. 7th Sea does not do a very good job at either the age of sail stuff or the high fantasy stuff, and the rules don't work especially well.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Is there a thread for useful online rpg tools? Dice rollers, table tops, and character builders and such, I figure it might be nice to have a stickied thread full of useful stuff.

As for sailing, Fantasy Games Unlimited did an Age of sail game called Privateers and Gentlemen, don't know if its good or not though. Actually looking it up, its Ship battle system "Heart of Oak" seems well considered, and it is part of the core book.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Aug 12, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

fool_of_sound posted:

I dunno. I'm not sure I've ever seen a system that I though did ship mechanics well.

That depends on what you need out of ship mechanics, I suppose. I'm not sure any game has really done vehicle rules or vehicle combat well without just abstracting it out. I would just focus on what you can do at the character level. Like, one of the most indepth minigames for that thing, strangely, is probably Exalted 3e, but having cool boat powers probably isn't worth interacting with the rest of that system over. 7th Sea has a modestly interesting setting but it's hilarious how badly it implemented piracy and naval action. The fact that it takes place on a single continent and that boat rules were an afterthought are the tip of the bad implementation iceberg.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Night10194 posted:

It really doesn't. 7th Sea does not do a very good job at either the age of sail stuff or the high fantasy stuff, and the rules don't work especially well.

Welp, never claimed to be an expert.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Hey are there any tabletop games that do high fantasy age of sail poo poo well? All my books for that swashbuckling/pirate funtimes stuff are either 'historic' romantic style or stuff like 7th sea that comes close but seems to waffle between 'magic motherfuckers' and 'this is a secret, ancient, art' stuff.

It's not one of the Savage Worlds settings I've run, but 50 Fathoms might be worth a look. The ship combat rules are just an elaboration on SW's standard vehicle chase and combat rules, so they might be too abstract depending on what you're looking for.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Savage Worlds also has Pirates of the Spanish Main, and while looking for Ship rules someone suggested hacking Rogue Trader.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

I'm a fan of Beat to Quarters for Age of Sail stuff, though it doesn't have any fantasy stuff. It's more Master & Commander than Pirates of the Caribbean.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

DigitalRaven posted:

It's more Master & Commander than Pirates of the Caribbean.

This is a pretty big selling point for me on any Age of Sail RPG

Now, is it more like the book or the movie?

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I quite like how Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies handles it. Obviously it uses sky-ships, but it doesn't really make much difference. Although the exact rules are tied to the PDQ system the concepts wouldn't be too difficult to "port" to other systems.

Basically the captain can issue a number of "Orders" based on how good they are (1-6 Orders per turn). It's expected that he'll use most of these on PC characters, but NPCs can be Ordered as well if there isn't a PC handling that particular task or if you've got more available Orders than PCs.

The Orders do not have to be strictly relevant, they just have to be something that the crewmember can do: you can Order the galleymaster to prep lug out an extra barrel of grog for the victory party, you can command your cabin boy to run to your room and fetch your lucky mustache wax, etc. Of course you can also command crew members to load ammo, maneuver the ship, put out fires, etc. Each crew member has to make a roll related to what they're doing (the gunner probably makes a "shooting" roll to aim the guns, the cabin boy running across the chaotic deck has to make an acrobatics roll, etc). Each member who succeeds doesn't directly affect the battle but gives the captain bonuses to his roll.

The captain can then use those bonuses in an opposed roll with the enemy captain...the victor inflicting damage on the loser. The captain can also "spend" those points for various things such as "zooming in" to a normal combat scene for a boarding action (or repelling a boarding action performed by the enemy).

There's a bit more to it than that, but that is the gist of the system.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

remusclaw posted:

Is there a thread for useful online rpg tools? Dice rollers, table tops, and character builders and such, I figure it might be nice to have a stickied thread full of useful stuff.

As for sailing, Fantasy Games Unlimited did an Age of sail game called Privateers and Gentlemen, don't know if its good or not though. Actually looking it up, its Ship battle system "Heart of Oak" seems well considered, and it is part of the core book.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3687895

There used to be a Roll20 thread but I can't find it.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I think the replies so far give a pretty good indication why the first response should have been "what do you want the game to do?" Are you looking for a Patrick O'Brian novel in game form? (That's what I'd want.) Horatio Hornblower? Pirates of the Caribbean? Mutiny on the Bounty? Something with Errol Flynn? Should knowing how to maneuver a square-rigged ship in battle make a difference, or "never mind maneuvers, just go at them"?

In any case, I won't be much help because I've not played any.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
A while ago this forum introduced me to this image:

I'm sure there was a sequel image of sorts, somewhere, which showed the gnome and the lady riding off or something else indicating they were together, but I have no idea how to find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Did I make it up?

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012
If you haven't already read them, you all have no excuse for not having checked out John Rogers' Fell's Five D&D comics now that the entirety of the series is pay what you want on the current Humble Books Bundle.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

moths posted:

I lucked out because I only buy stuff on Drivethru via Paypal. You got my hopes up about a Torchbearer expansion, but it looks like it's just a few odds and ends - some of which are free.
Actually I'm a crazy person who thought I saw this on drivethrurpg, it's on a completely different site. http://www.memento-mori.com/rpg/torchbearer-sagas-wanderers-outcasts-exiles

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

potatocubed posted:

I'm sure there was a sequel image of sorts, somewhere, which showed the gnome and the lady riding off or something else indicating they were together, but I have no idea how to find it. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Did I make it up?

Is it just me or does that elf in the background kinda look like Macaulay Culkin?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

potatocubed posted:

I mean, let's face it, the gnome is probably just going to die alone.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I never knew where that "screaming elf face" avatar came from.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

If you haven't already read them, you all have no excuse for not having checked out John Rogers' Fell's Five D&D comics now that the entirety of the series is pay what you want on the current Humble Books Bundle.

Are any of the others worth shelling out for?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Splicer posted:

Actually I'm a crazy person who thought I saw this on drivethrurpg, it's on a completely different site. http://www.memento-mori.com/rpg/torchbearer-sagas-wanderers-outcasts-exiles

It's on DTRPG too. (And it looks like there's a very real chance I've accidentally bought it twice, once in each place.)

As far as moths' comment goes, the 6+ levels are still in playtest form at the official site.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

inklesspen posted:

It's on DTRPG too. (And it looks like there's a very real chance I've accidentally bought it twice, once in each place.)

As far as moths' comment goes, the 6+ levels are still in playtest form at the official site.

Holy poo poo Jared Sorenson. That's a name I haven't heard in YEARS.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

CaptCommy posted:

Are any of the others worth shelling out for?
I can't speak for any of the Classics, Forgotten Realms or otherwise. The only other series on there that I read in entirety was the Neverwinter Drizzt series, which didn't seem all that great, as nothing of consequence seemed to happen. It was my first exposure to Salvatore/Drizzt, though, so that might have contributed to my lack of emotional investment.

The first issue of Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms series didn't impress me enough to try out the second. I think he's probably a better novelist, since the comic seemed overly verbose/dialogue heavy for the medium. Wizards also had a free preview of Cutter, but once again, that didn't convince me that the quality was good enough to spend any money on it.

The only other series in the bundle that I could potentially recommend is Jim Zub's Baldur's Gate series. I haven't personally checked it out, but he's the writer behind Skullkickers. It's kind of moot though, since it's in the same tier as Rogers' stuff.

Basically, if there's anything that has enough nostalgia factor for you, it might be worth it unless it's only one book at a given price threshold (since at that point it's likely more cost effective to purchase the collected volume(s) individually at a place like Comixology, for which IDW provides comparable DRM-free formats).

All of this negativity might give you the wrong impression regarding Fell's Five, which I can assure you is good comics; I actually prefer it to Rat Queens (although I'm a few issues behind on that series).

Auralsaurus Flex fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 13, 2015

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

I can't speak for any of the Classics, Forgotten Realms or otherwise. The only other series on there that I read in entirety was the Neverwinter Drizzt series, which didn't seem all that great, as nothing of consequence seemed to happen. It was my first exposure to Salvatore/Drizzt, though, so that might have contributed to my lack of emotional investment.

The first issue of Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms series didn't impress me enough to try out the second. I think he's probably a better novelist, since the comic seemed overly verbose/dialogue heavy for the medium. Wizards also had a free preview of Cutter, but once again, that didn't convince me that the quality was good enough to spend any money on it.

The only other series in the bundle that I could potentially recommend is Jim Zub's Baldur's Gate series. I haven't personally checked it out, but he's the writer behind Skullkickers. It's kind of moot though, since it's in the same tier as Rogers' stuff.

Basically, if there's anything that has enough nostalgia factor for you, it might be worth it unless it's only one book at a given price threshold (since at that point it's likely more cost effective to purchase the collected volume(s) individually at a place like Comixology, for which IDW provides comparable DRM-free formats).

All of this negativity might give you the wrong impression regarding Fell's Five, which I can assure you is good comics; I actually prefer it to Rat Queens (although I'm a few issues behind on that series).

Oh yeah, I'm a huge Fell's Five fan. I bought almost all the single issues as they were coming out but also desire to have a digital copy as well (and anyone reading this should also do the same! They're great!). Just wondering if anything else was worth picking up

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Auralsaurus Flex posted:

The first issue of Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms series didn't impress me enough to try out the second. I think he's probably a better novelist

I'm afraid not.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Which one of the tiers gives you fell's five?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
The entry-level PWYW tier; that's the only one with books by John Rogers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can someone dumb down GURPS' magic system for me and tell me if it has problems similar to D&D Wizards' universalism?

In exchange I give you catte:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can someone dumb down GURPS' magic system for me and tell me if it has problems similar to D&D Wizards' universalism
Very different. There are 20 or so schools of magic (Air, Fire, Animal, Healing, Enchantment, Illusion, Necromancy, Summoning, etc.) each with 20 or more spells, and each school has its own progression tree. For instance, the basic skill in the Fire school is Ignite Fire, which is the prerequisite to learn Shape Fire and Create Fire, and you need both of those to learn Fireball or Flame Jet, and you need Flame Jet to learn Breathe Fire. Every school has its own tree - you don't get the powerful spells unless you spend the points to learn a bunch of lesser spells, and knowing powerful spells in one school doesn't help you at all to learn spells in another school (you can cast multiple exploding fireballs, but if you want to also throw lightning bolts you need to start out buying simple Air spells like Puff of Wind and work your way up the Air tree).

e: Here's the schematic of the Fire school

You can find all the schools laid out in http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/downloads/GURPS_Magic_Spell_Charts.pdf

FMguru fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Aug 13, 2015

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can someone dumb down GURPS' magic system for me and tell me if it has problems similar to D&D Wizards' universalism?

I actually really dig GURPS Magic, especially given when it came out. And no, it generally doesn't, presuming you're playing on a 100 or 150 point character base. The thing is, to cast "combat magic" or powerful save-or-suck spells without nasty casting times, you usually have to hyperspecialize to do so by quite a bit. And fatigue plays a big part too. A lot of it depends on how much access a given mage has to powerstones to shore up their fatigue costs, but there's nothing like D&D wizards that can cast dozens of spells before needing a nap. It's actually a pretty solid system for those looking for more of a "low magic" system, though it gets a lot of flack from people who want D&D-style wizardry. A 250+ point wizard will start resembling a high-level D&D wizard in terms of flexibility, but fatigue costs ultimately put a ceiling on the range, scope, and size of their effects. If you want to cast a wish in GURPS, it's going to take a lot of work and effort beyond getting a valuable gem.

Though I'm sure there are abuseable spell loopholes I've forgotten thanks to not looking at it in a long time, overall it's a very thought-out system considering when it first came out.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

DigitalRaven posted:

As a mathematician, every time someone says "non-Euclidian geometry" I immediately want them to specify elliptic or hyperbolic. It's not like this is difficult, any system of geometry that doesn't use the parallel postulate is non-Euclidian.
DigitalRaven delved too greedily and too deep

potatocubed posted:

I used to know what rugose meant but have since forgotten. :sinister chord:
:prepop:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The word "chrome" now has me musing what a good pair of words for a Mad Max/Post Apocalypse version would be. :v:
Warlords & Witnesses

I know that is not what you were looking for but now I am picturing the font

clockworkjoe posted:

So what are some RPGs with crazy random character creation systems or other fun randomized tables/creators? My example is deadEarth, which has an absolutely nuts mutation system: https://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/downloads-games/deadearth-resources/
Dammit what was that one

It was like one of many thousands of post-apocalyptic uhhh Blood Dawn: The Prophecy? I think that was the one. It had seemingly endless lists of mutations that I think you pretty much had no choice but to use. I bought a couple of books from Palladium's "Dead Reign" series entirely because they had random modern loot tables and I had been searching for those since before the Stone Table

And of course there is always Traveller, but surely you already know about that. The only time a character creation system has been so fun that I spent more time with it than playing the game (and I am talking about the CRPG even!)

wait I suddenly realize I have not seen his collar in ages

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Doesn't GURPS have a bunch of alternate and hybrid magic systems too? I remember a rune-word system of some sort.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I don't know about 4th. 3rd had some improvised magic systems, but they're mostly just an alternate way to interface with the existing magic system; basically the GM just determines effect cost and casting time of effects by comparing them to the existing spell list and eyeballing it. They also lean towards being ritualistic and not really applicable to combat due to having longer casting times. It's pretty groundbreaking for when it came out but tends to have some punishing costs in exchange for that flexibility.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Bucnasti posted:

Doesn't GURPS have a bunch of alternate and hybrid magic systems too? I remember a rune-word system of some sort.

In 4e GURPS: Magic has a couple of alternate systems tucked in the back. GURPS Thaumatology is basically Alternate Magic Systems: The Book! and has something like a dozen alternate systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

FMguru posted:

Very different. There are 20 or so schools of magic (Air, Fire, Animal, Healing, Enchantment, Illusion, Necromancy, Summoning, etc.) each with 20 or more spells, and each school has its own progression tree. For instance, the basic skill in the Fire school is Ignite Fire, which is the prerequisite to learn Shape Fire and Create Fire, and you need both of those to learn Fireball or Flame Jet, and you need Flame Jet to learn Breathe Fire. Every school has its own tree - you don't get the powerful spells unless you spend the points to learn a bunch of lesser spells, and knowing powerful spells in one school doesn't help you at all to learn spells in another school (you can cast multiple exploding fireballs, but if you want to also throw lightning bolts you need to start out buying simple Air spells like Puff of Wind and work your way up the Air tree).

e: Here's the schematic of the Fire school

You can find all the schools laid out in http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/downloads/GURPS_Magic_Spell_Charts.pdf

I'm loving that GURPS has a Food College of Magic, although it's probably the school of magic that's the least useful to a player character by itself

EDIT: also looking over SJGames' site they barely have anything for GURPS in print, it's kinda ridiculous(too bad they continue to cling to running their own store, it'd be nice if they put their stuff on DriveThruStuff for On-Demand printing)

drrockso20 fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 13, 2015

• Locked thread