Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Xinlum posted:

Too bad every game you join will be 4 snipers, 3 spies, 2 engineers minimum.

This has been the case in literally every version of Team Fortress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

why don't people in this online game play the classes I want them to play :qqsay:

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
Is the best strategy in TF2 still to just have a bunch of heavies and medics and steamroll the enemy team until they do the same?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Xinlum posted:

The issue with demoknight was that demoman was the easiest hard counter for sentries. After the update you could pretty much guarantee all 4 demomen on the team were waving a sword around instead of doing their job, you know, demolitions .

This is one main part of the complaint.

Slime posted:

40% reduced damage from its main enemies? A demoman's real counter is the scout, the shields don't protect them from being killed by a scout. Run faster? Once every 12 seconds in a straight line (until the tide turner came out which is pretty goddamn ridiculous). Automatic crits? Sure, if you can land your charge perfectly.

I'm not saying demoknights aren't kind of ridiculous sometimes but you're waaaaay overblowing how overpowered they are, especially compared to default demoman who has the sticky launcher which at the time was basically the de facto best weapon in the game.

And the soldier. It essentially made the soldier, other demos, and pyros useless becasue it gave 40% reduced damage to explosives and fire. This meant a soldier could shoot a demo 4 times and not miss, and STILL not kill the demo, not because the demo was good, but because he equipped a particular item. It completely changed the game from a skill based unique class list to a game of rock paper scissors in favor of pay to win items and of course hats. It just kept going too. Then the heavy, then the Scout, then the pyro. The weapons got more and more game breaking and outlandish to the detriment of the game.

But not to Valve they made and still make BANK on that poo poo.

Gestalt has a good breakdown of why it was bad though. It changed the way the classes played in favor of making it more ZANY!!!!1 Which I think contributed to killing the game faster than it otherwise would have died.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Jastiger posted:

Gestalt has a good breakdown of why it was bad though. It changed the way the classes played in favor of making it more ZANY!!!!1 Which I think contributed to killing the game faster than it otherwise would have died.

If you have a link, I love reading essays/point-by-point breakdowns of why things failed/went wrong :)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

" Which I think contributed to killing the game faster than it otherwise would have died." of the still-incredibly popular game

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Alaois posted:

" Which I think contributed to killing the game faster than it otherwise would have died." of the still-incredibly popular game

so are you just furiously mashing the f5 button so you can keep the white demoknight iceburns rolling or is there a method to your shitposting madness

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

so are you just furiously mashing the f5 button so you can keep the white demoknight iceburns rolling or is there a method to your shitposting madness

the fact that anybody still pays attention to Jastiger's whiny-rear end bitch-tier posting confounds me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Alaois posted:

the fact that anybody still pays attention to Jastiger's whiny-rear end bitch-tier posting confounds me

yeah gently caress that guy for having opinions

also you keep replying to him

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

yeah gently caress that guy for having opinions

ask him about summoner abilities

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!
I don't remember where they said it, but I remember the logic for the Demoknight being that Valve didn't, at the time, know how to make decent Demoman weapons. With every other class they could fairly reasonably come up with neat 'what ifs' that could develop into cool sidegrades, they just couldn't manage it with the Demoman, whose base equipment was already capable of everything they could ask for. Since any weapons they could come up with just wouldn't be big enough improvements to bother using, they gave him a whole new gimmick playstyle instead.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
TF2 seems like a pretty neat game. I tried it for a few weeks and got completely smeared because people have been playing it for like ten years at this point. Did they ever put skill-based matchmaking in there?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alaois posted:

Same could be said about every single one of your posts being nothing but perpetual bitch fests about other people.

Sorry people don't like your favorite games?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Same could be said about every single one of your posts being nothing but perpetual bitch fests about other people.

Sorry people don't like your favorite games?

i haven't played tf2 in like, 2 years

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Alaois posted:

i haven't played tf2 in like, 2 years

and yet the caring still burns hot in your veins, o valiant champion!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

and yet the caring still burns hot in your veins, o valiant champion!

defend Jastiger of all people, that's a good look

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Alaois posted:

defend Jastiger of all people, that's a good look

not defending him, just curious as to why you care so much

show me on the doll where jastiger touched you

it's okay

you're among friends

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

not defending him, just curious as to why you care so much

show me on the doll where jastiger touched you

it's okay

you're among friends

because if somebody's posts makes reading a thread actively worse, I'm going to tell that person they're a loving idiot and should stop posting?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Alaois posted:

because if somebody's posts makes reading a thread actively worse, I'm going to tell that person they're a loving idiot and should stop posting?

That being the case, you shouldn't mind when I say that you're a loving idiot, and should stop posting.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

That being the case, you shouldn't mind when I say that you're a loving idiot, and should stop posting.

I don't at all

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Alaois posted:

or maybe -- and this is a huge maybe, like, on the level of string theory or quantum astrophysics -- maybe you could say nothing and let the opinion sink back into the sea of opinions because you're the only one who seems to give a gently caress

or post your own opinions about games! we are all friends here who like to post about video games

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Screaming Idiot posted:

or post your own opinions about games! we are all friends here who like to post about video games

are you, because nobody in this thread actually seems to like games, just like to complain about how poo poo they are at them and act is if it's the game's fault

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Alaois posted:

Evidently you never got your own memo.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Alaois posted:

are you, because nobody in this thread actually seems to like games, just like to complain about how poo poo they are at them and act is if it's the game's fault

that sure sounds like a thing that could bring a game down all right!!!!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
FEAR Perseus Mandate: This add-on is frankly pretty garbage, but I like it anyway, because it gives me a lot of ammo for the fun weapons. However it gives you so much ammo for the pistols and the new assault rifle that it's hard to justify using anything else, so I feel bad for people who preferred other weapons more. Also, the entire concept of a turret-grenade just seems off somehow.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Alaois posted:

summoner abilities

For half of disc 2, Dagger has Ramuh and

Then she picks up 4 more basically at once since it's right before the disc transition and you can pretty easily get Odin while at Treno. But then she becomes mute and can't really do anything but fling potions without loving it up, and when she gets over it you get Bahamut, which just outpaces everything else there.

So she essentially goes from Ramuh alone to Bahamut and chumps.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Alaois posted:

I know you're probably typing these as soon as they come into mind, but that was probably not the right comeback to make in this situation.

Personally I don't see why being bad at video games should be a reason to discredit someone even if it is true (it's true for me!) Ultimately the fact is that something can make a game less fun for someone.

mycot has a new favorite as of 03:02 on Aug 13, 2015

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

know what, I've actually got something to post for once.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura. I don't know which is sadder or more plausible, that the developers tried to balance the Tech and Magic paths, and failed completely and utterly, or that they didn't even try and knew full well that Magic was better in every conceivable fashion compared to Tech.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

For half of disc 2, Dagger has Ramuh and

Then she picks up 4 more basically at once since it's right before the disc transition and you can pretty easily get Odin while at Treno. But then she becomes mute and can't really do anything but fling potions without loving it up, and when she gets over it you get Bahamut, which just outpaces everything else there.

So she essentially goes from Ramuh alone to Bahamut and chumps.

Summoning in FFIX was weird, and kinda useless. Even Ark, with Boost and the full-damage animation playing, does less damage than Steiner is likely to be whacking dudes with every turn by that point.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Alaois posted:

know what, I've actually got something to post for once.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magic Obscura. I don't know which is sadder or more plausible, that the developers tried to balance the Tech and Magic paths, and failed completely and utterly, or that they didn't even try and knew full well that Magic was better in every conceivable fashion compared to Tech.

Arcanum is basically a game composed entirely of little things dragging it down. Like, it's a kickass concept (the fact that it came out before steampunk really became A Thing certainly helps) and it has some amazing pedigree behind it but in practice the hybrid real-time/turn-based system is horribly broken and they squander the setup on yet another bland "Chosen One stopping the big bad guy" only everybody's wearing tophats now.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Arcanum is basically a game composed entirely of little things dragging it down. Like, it's a kickass concept (the fact that it came out before steampunk really became A Thing certainly helps) and it has some amazing pedigree behind it but in practice the hybrid real-time/turn-based system is horribly broken and they squander the setup on yet another bland "Chosen One stopping the big bad guy" only everybody's wearing tophats now.

Also for a game made after Fallout 2, by some of the same people who made Fallout 2, it feels WAY WORSE to play than Fallout 2 did. The movement feels janky as gently caress and the Real-Time combat system is worthless.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

For a party-based RPG, Arcanum's AI pathfinding was absolutely loving miserable and made me wary of all other optional companions since, although luckily bad pathfinding by today's standards is a lot better than bad pathfinding was when it came out.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So let me tell you about Dark Souls.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Alaois posted:

Also for a game made after Fallout 2, by some of the same people who made Fallout 2, it feels WAY WORSE to play than Fallout 2 did. The movement feels janky as gently caress and the Real-Time combat system is worthless.

On the other hand the fact that the first real dungeon is an absolute slog full of golems that will break your weapons in two hits feels exactly like something spawned by the same minds who designed Fallout 2's opening dungeon.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Jastiger posted:

So let me tell you about Dark Souls.

Yes? Go on ahead, it's okay, Dark Souls isn't a perfect game and has its flaws. In fact, I'll share one I've noticed:

The game isn't hard. It's challenging, but not too hard. But it relies far too much on its online component to make certain builds viable, and many items are locked behind the online component as well. I like Dark Souls, but it's definitely made to be played online.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yes? Go on ahead, it's okay, Dark Souls isn't a perfect game and has its flaws. In fact, I'll share one I've noticed:

The game isn't hard. It's challenging, but not too hard. But it relies far too much on its online component to make certain builds viable, and many items are locked behind the online component as well. I like Dark Souls, but it's definitely made to be played online.

I agree. I don't mind the online aspect and PVP, but it seems silly that you can get ridiculously rare and over powered items only through the online that trivializes the game. Its still a top game of all time, but that is one drag.

But, I was just being facetious since alouicious/Alaois can't figure out how to contribute to threads.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

A thing dragging Shadow of Mordor down: I don't like when the one captain who's been coming back from the grave and intercepting you for the past hour finally dies for good. I like the rotating cast of orc jerks to murder, but I'll miss having That One Guy who exists solely for me to behead over and over again.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

There are actually plenty of things that drag down Dark Souls for me, like the boss fights. Honestly most of them aren't that engaging once you get past the opening stage of gently caress gently caress gently caress WHAT AM I DOING I DIED.

e: basically gently caress the Gaping Dragon, cool design ruined by a health bar twice as long as it should have been.

Alaois has a new favorite as of 03:39 on Aug 13, 2015

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Alaois posted:

God yes. I loved Fallout 2 but could not bear to play Arcanum.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Jastiger posted:

I agree. I don't mind the online aspect and PVP, but it seems silly that you can get ridiculously rare and over powered items only through the online that trivializes the game. Its still a top game of all time, but that is one drag.

Which items? Everything from the covenants can be gained offline but it's very slow and grindy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Which items? Everything from the covenants can be gained offline but it's very slow and grindy.

Well i meant online like the super powerful spells and stuff that wouldn't have been found except by walk throughs and stuff. Stuff SO far off the beaten path the only way to get it is to kind of cheat it a bit. And then yeah, can't you trade items from high level characters to low level through the online mode?