Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

McDowell posted:

The GOP strategy in a nutshell.

Here's an idea: send Bill on a loving apology tour. Just him on stage with Robert Reich showing Adam Curtis clips and saying 'I hosed it all up.'

if either clinton were capable of executing this plan they might be worth voting for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I'll vote for anyone who puts Robert Reich in a prominent role. Can't get enough of that little son of a bitch.

Edit: gently caress it, Draft The Dwarf

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.

mdemone posted:

I'll vote for anyone who puts Robert Reich in a prominent role. Can't get enough of that little son of a bitch.

Reich for fuhrer

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

fronz posted:

I do think we should add some wrestling matches to the debate schedule though.

Letting the candidates punch and kick each other would really improve the American political process

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

Letting the candidates punch and kick each other would really improve the American political process

I unironically support this. Because I want to see Trump throw some wild haymakers at the rest of the GOP clown car.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

AssassinPrincess posted:

I unironically support this. Because I want to see Trump throw some wild haymakers at the rest of the GOP clown car.

I wasn't being ironic

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

I wasn't being ironic

this but unironically

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 22, 2016

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I would follow that man's hair to hell and back.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Carly Fiorina reminiscing about the HP days. Check out the rest of the videos from her Senate campaign on her official Youtube channel.

Here is her evolving stance on pre-existing conditions. Supported subsidies for pre-existing conditions. Well she thought they should look at pre-existing conditions protection.
The farther we get from cancer the less we seem to care about this it seems. FYGM at the finest?

quote:

TAPPER: I should point out that you are a survivor of breast cancer, and we're all very grateful for that. Didn't your experience show you that the pre-existing condition part of ObamaCare is crucial, that there are so many people out there like you, but without your means, who wouldn't be alive if it were not for the part of the law that says insurance companies have to take on people with pre-existing conditions?

FIORINA: I absolutely endorse that goal. I did at the time. But guess what? None of that has worked. Demonstrably, if you look at the results of ObamaCare, what you see is emergency room visits are up over 50 percent. Health insurance premiums are up almost 40 percent now. We're dumping more and more people into Medicaid. Medicaid is a program that fewer and fewer doctors will accept patients from. That isn't helping anyone with cancer, I can assure you. The problem is this...

TAPPER: The expansion of the pool allows the insurance companies to pay for the people with pre-existing conditions.

FIORINA: What is happening to the health insurance market right now, as we speak? And it's what I predicted. Who helped write ObamaCare? The health insurance companies and the drug companies. And guess what's happening? Those companies are consolidating. That's called crony capitalism. Let's have a big program. Let's get bigger to deal with it. And meanwhile, people are getting left on the sidelines.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

fronz posted:

It probably looks better for him than for him to have wrestled black lives matter supporters to the ground.

You can stand your ground without wrestling people to the ground. Just say "it's an important issue that must and will be addressed, but I'm about to give a speech right now, so this isn't the time for it." Wait for them to make the first move, and if they do, then do what needs to be done.

I support the BLM movement, but we cannot allow that sort of poo poo. It would be an utter disgrace if someone interrupted a BLM speaker to rant on about Bernie Sanders or anything else, obviously, but a lot of folks seem to have trouble calling out unacceptable behavior if done on behalf of a group they support.

I favour Trump's stance on it over Sanders' even if I think Sanders would still be a much better president overall.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

PT6A posted:

I favour Trump
Agreed.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I can absolutely call out the way those activists disrupted the speech without thinking that the way Bernie dealt with them when they got on stage was a problem. (The best solution, of course, is to make it so that people can't just take the stage at will.)

YOU A FUCKING HAT
Jun 7, 1979

I CAN'T BE STOPPED OR REASONED WITH

JFC this woman is poo poo. JUST....poo poo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

If Trump decides to stop kicking rear end and taking names, I think we should give him Canadian citizenship, that he may evicerate the Conservative party as he is doing with the Republicans presently.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Mr Hootington posted:

Health insurance stuff.

It's really sad that Trump has one of the best proposals for improving the health care marketplace in the short term by removing the interstate boundaries and letting all plans compete nation wide.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I probably would have tried: "This isn't my event, I'm having an event in a couple of hours where I'm going to talk about this issue specifically, would you like to come to that?"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

fronz posted:

I can absolutely call out the way those activists disrupted the speech without thinking that the way Bernie dealt with them when they got on stage was a problem. (The best solution, of course, is to make it so that people can't just take the stage at will.)

That they could get to the stage at all is clearly the bigger issue, but the image of Sanders standing his ground resolutely, while still handling it diplomatically, would've played amazingly. Instead, we now have footage of him slinking off under threat.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

fronz posted:

A learning experience

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I fully respect the tactics of the protestors. No political movement wasn't considered rude or improper before it got something done. Bernie handled it well, too, as he had no obligation to speak there and any words could've easily been misconstrued. As long as nobody starts a misguided vendetta against Bernie, it was a good moment for BLM and at worst a neutral moment for Bernie.

Just venting this here so I don't start a shitstorm on Facebook

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

XK posted:

It's really sad that Trump has one of the best proposals for improving the health care marketplace in the short term by removing the interstate boundaries and letting all plans compete nation wide.

That's the same bullshit Republicans have been pushing for decades and doesn't work because every insurance company moves to a PO box in Delaware.
it only works if you take a huge leap and give him a huge benefit of the doubt to say he wants to make federal standards that supercede state ones.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

If Trump decides to stop kicking rear end and taking names, I think we should give him Canadian citizenship, that he may evicerate the Conservative party as he is doing with the Republicans presently.

LOL, you think there's going to be a Canada after the Trump becomes President. :smaug:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

mdemone posted:

Hillary once drove from Wellesley to Dartmouth to go on a date with Reich.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

greatn posted:

That's the same bullshit Republicans have been pushing for decades and doesn't work because every insurance company moves to a PO box in Delaware.
it only works if you take a huge leap and give him a huge benefit of the doubt to say he wants to make federal standards that supercede state ones.

Delaware's rules for health care are better than the average state at least. :shrug: Additionally, ACA rules have meant a certain baseline for requirements that greatly exceeds that the average state had in the first place anyway.

Plus companies would still be bound by existing state law requirements for what must be offered on plans sold in their state, the state marketplaces don't do anything to ensure that. For example, Massachusetts state law says any health insurance plans offered for sale to MA residents or employees of MA companies must offer coverage for transgender care.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Aug 13, 2015

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

greatn posted:

I do agree with the problem about companies jumping ship to Delaware, like banks like to do. My support of making it a nationwide marketplace would rely on there also being a nationwide standard for coverage in line with what Obama put in place currently requires. Basically, Obamacare without state boundaries. The other situation, like what you are alluding to, would be terrible and I would absolutely not support it.

Fish Cant Hold Gun
Jul 2, 2015

by Ralp
Bernie Sanders has been in progressive politics for ages and ages, I'm sure he recognized immediately what was happening, did some mental calculus, and took the long view that it was better to walk away. The situation was a "lose" from the moment it started, but Bernie's move was the smartest way of minimizing the damage. Allow the protestors fill reign to take over and then unite them to do something or whatever legitimizes what they've just done. Forcing them off stage drives a wedge further between him and the black community.

By walking away he retains his status as the victim in the situation (to anybody but Donald Trump, who would have apparently physically assaulted them) and doesn't add anything more interesting to the story then "Bernie Interrupted", guaranteeing that it will fade fast. Embarrassed BLM members speak out against rouge elements and clean house, people see the news story and learn more about Bernie as a result without the image of anyone being taken away in handcuffs. And remember, if Trump has proved anything, it's that in 2016 any press is good press.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

XK posted:

She was for this at one time also! Watch the first video. She also wanted more health clinics.

'09 no God in the upbringing. Medieval Studies degree.
'15 GOD GOD GOD GOD GOD

Bonus: Walker on getting that sweet, sweet Millennial vote.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Joementum posted:

Hillary once drove from Wellesley to Dartmouth to go on a date with Reich.

That's like. A two hour drive.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Fish Cant Hold Gun posted:

Bernie Sanders has been in progressive politics for ages and ages, I'm sure he recognized immediately what was happening, did some mental calculus, and took the long view that it was better to walk away. The situation was a "lose" from the moment it started, but Bernie's move was the smartest way of minimizing the damage. Allow the protestors fill reign to take over and then unite them to do something or whatever legitimizes what they've just done. Forcing them off stage drives a wedge further between him and the black community.

By walking away he retains his status as the victim in the situation (to anybody but Donald Trump, who would have apparently physically assaulted them) and doesn't add anything more interesting to the story then "Bernie Interrupted", guaranteeing that it will fade fast. Embarrassed BLM members speak out against rouge elements and clean house, people see the news story and learn more about Bernie as a result without the image of anyone being taken away in handcuffs. And remember, if Trump has proved anything, it's that in 2016 any press is good press.

There's a really obvious solution between "cede the mic" and "get physical." Stand your ground. Don't get physical, but refuse to give an inch. If they get physical with you, simply do nothing, and you win (especially when you're the old white guy who can trigger everyone's sympathy).

XK
Jul 9, 2001

I would also like to clarify, stating Trump has one of the best proposals for health care involves believable proposals for changes. I suspect Hillary would be content to leave Obamacare pretty much as it is. I'm also excluding Sanders because then I wouldn't get to talk about how Trump actually has what could be a decent idea if implemented properly. Clearly Sanders would be better on health care than Trump, and in actual practice Hillary leaving it mostly alone would almost certainly be better than the unknowns Trump would shoot for.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

PT6A posted:

There's a really obvious solution between "cede the mic" and "get physical." Stand your ground. Don't get physical, but refuse to give an inch. If they get physical with you, simply do nothing, and you win (especially when you're the old white guy who can trigger everyone's sympathy).

Eh, you would really get into such a petty and trite thing? If they wanted the mic so badly, loving let them have it. :woop:

Why would you wanna stand your ground on a dumb mic so you can masturbate to your own voice like Trump does.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

PT6A posted:

(especially when you're the old white guy who can trigger everyone's sympathy).

Woah

What a curious reality you live in

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

PT6A posted:

Why did no one think of this before?

(its not really funny)

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

The Nastier Nate posted:

A year from now, Bernie sanders loses the nomination to Hillary Clinton in a closer race then anyone could have expected, while Trumps cruises to his nomination, grinding all 16 other candidates in to dust along the way. He then selects Independent Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders as his running mate.

The Trump/Sanders ticket wins in an electoral landslide and is reelected for a 2nd term in 2020 as the United States of America is ushered into a new golden age. During President Trump's 2nd term, congress repeals the 22nd amendment and Trump/Sanders runs for and wins 2 additional terms.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Something Else posted:

Woah

What a curious reality you live in

The majority's sympathy, for sure. No one wants to see Pop-Pop get shoved to the ground.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

PT6A posted:

What was he really supposed to do? They were already on stage, it wasn't his event, they weren't in any way open to dialog. They went on to call the crowd white supremacists, they're literal anarchists hijacking the BLM movement, and one of the women involved has a widely distributed photo of herself drinking water while wearing a shirt of "Sipping on white tears". It was a no win situation for him to do anything.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MrBims posted:

Why did no one think of this before?

(its not really funny)

Don't be disingenuous, the SYG laws are about defining a legal situation for a bunch of tiny-dicked morons to use their guns, not about standing your ground in the face of a minorly aggressive person in the middle of a crowd. In my opinion, you still have an obligation to try to remove yourself from a situation before resorting to the use of force.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
yeah that was a matter of lose vs lose worse, he should just be better about preventing people on stage basically, thats all.

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.

PT6A posted:

about standing your ground in the face of a minorlyity aggressive person in the middle of a crowd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

PT6A posted:

Don't be disingenuous, the SYG laws are about defining a legal situation for a bunch of tiny-dicked morons to use their guns, not about standing your ground in the face of a minorly aggressive person in the middle of a crowd. In my opinion, you still have an obligation to try to remove yourself from a situation before resorting to the use of force.

Assuming you're being genuine, you oughta be able to immediately recognize what saying 'stand your ground' looks like in the context of racial interactions in America. That read to me like a bad troll.

• Locked thread